Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
OP is talking about the dangers of letting reviewers take the game home to review because of further leaks.

Reviewers do this with every game whether we're in a pandemic or not. You sign an NDA and if you break that NDA then you're probably not getting any more games to review.

It's like this with every game - I can't imagine a scenario where TLOU2 is gonna be treated any different.

Especially with the reduced opportunities for traditional press events/marketing etc. Those 10/10 reviews are gonna be an important part of the hype cycle. They're gonna want them, they're not gonna be wrapping it in cotton wool and trying to keep reviewers from leaking anything more! I'm sure it'll have the usual embargoes and guidelines of what reviewers should or should not talk about.
yes I understand that aspect and I'm sure OP might not have known most reviewers do the bulk of the work at home already. I'm just saying the only reason this thread exist is because of the leaks for TLOu2, not simply because it's a big special game or anything. I don't think anyone would think to do this about CyberPunk for example.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's not like publishers could ever control where their review copies were played anyways.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Reviewers play the game at home most of the time. Its a very demanding job despite some thinking otherwise
This I can understand. If you only have to play GOTY candidates it would be okay I guess but unfortunately you have to play through 4/10 games as well. :p And tough luck if you have kids and can only play games at night when they sleep. :/

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
There are some publishers that would fly journalists to "review event", arrange for hotel/food etc and then let them play the game over 3-4 days before flying them back. Never liked this practice personally.
That does sound familiar. I think Konami did it for Metal Gear Solid V? Same here in disliking it. If I need to focus on something, I'd do it better in my own home.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Can you imagine having to play a 90 plus hour jrpg only in the office? Holy crap that is probably impossible unless you leave there for the duration of the review.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
"Will The Last of Us Part 2 Be Reviewed by the Press?"

Of course it will, it's a game, same as any other one that gets reviewed in this pandemic. Press will get their usual allotment of digital codes, and reviewers will play them at home [same as with any other game].

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
«Review events» used to be a thing in my day - I did get locked in a hotel room a few times to play a game. It was a rare occurence though, 99% of my reviewing was done from home. With various levels of NDAs. And if you're serious about your work you respect the NDA as long as it's reasonable. Leaking stuff is not really a thing. If an NDA is too demanding, you don't review the game in question, or you buy it instead.

Tezza

Nov 15, 2017
Greg Miller just posted an image on Twitter, showing the TLOU2 icon on his PS4 and that the review is the 12th June

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Haha, this topic reminds me of 12 years ago, after 10 years of freelancing I started as a full timer at the office and I started reviewing both Death Space and Mirrors Edge at the actual office. My coworkers looked at me like I was insane. That was the last time I tried to do that lol.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I mean, it's not like publishers could ever control where their review copies were played anyways.

Hi. I would like to introduce you to a company called Nintendo.

I haven't covered their stuff in awhile, but back in the day Nintendo would send a rep to the office with a debug system with the game physically locked inside. I would block out a conference room and they would stay in town for a few days to a week, bringing the game and system in in the morning and the leaving at night.

As others have mentioned review events were also a thing when the number of outlets was smaller.

These days review code is no longer debug/pre-release so physical security is minimal. You just get sent an early download code.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

I haven't covered their stuff in awhile, but back in the day Nintendo would send a rep to the office with a debug system with the game physically locked inside. I would block out a conference room and they would stay in town for a few days to a week, bringing the game and system in in the morning and the leaving at night.

As others have mentioned review events were also a thing when the number of outlets was smaller.

These days review code is no longer debug/pre-release so physical security is minimal. You just get sent an early download code.

Valve did a milder version of this for The Orange Box's launch. They flew various members of the press into the Seattle area, put them up in hotels, and had them play Portal and HL2:E2 in cushy private rooms with a zillion meals and snacks available whenever you wanted. (Since I live in Seattle, I just drove over, no flight or hotel for me. They did validate my parking, at least, which was nice.)

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Valve did a milder version of this for The Orange Box's launch. They flew various members of the press into the Seattle area, put them up in hotels, and had them play Portal and HL2:E2 in cushy private rooms with a zillion meals and snacks available whenever you wanted. (Since I live in Seattle, I just drove over, no flight or hotel for me. They did validate my parking, at least, which was nice.)

Yeah that was done for countless games. Either being put up in a hotel room with a debug kit or renting out a small ballroom and keeping the kits there. MS did the latter for GoW 2. That was memorable because they staffed the ballroom 24/7 and had food/drink there. Us locals could drop in any time to play, the out-of-towners had hotel rooms.

Sitting in a darkened ballroom with no windows to do a review on a time crunch isn't as glamorous as it sounds. Even if there was free food and drink.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands

wow, ive been reviewing for 20 years, a lot of Nintendo games even, and have never ever experienced this.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

I was thinking about what I heard about Nintendo in like the n64 days when reading the thread. Like how they'd have someone physically there watching you play the game and it would be like... padlocked into a system cage or something.

Yeah, it's not like that anymore, but...

Removing all doubt here, I guess.