• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Tales of Arise be your first 'Tales of' game?

• Yes, it will be!

Votes: 145 16.0%
  • No, I have played a game before!

Votes: 399 44.0%
  • No, I am a huge series fan and have played many games!

Votes: 363 40.0%

• Total voters

Scuttlefluff

Oct 28, 2017
I was poised but the demo turned me way off. It was a combo of the immense cacophony of chatter from all characters, the demo barely explaining the combat, and Ray Chase just basically being Noctis. I was like okay, pretty game but nah.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
First was Symphonia, which I liked a lot. Vesperia followed that up afew years later, and I loved it so much more. Symphonia 2 was a massive fucking disappointment, and after trying Abyss, 20+ hours for the main character to stop being an insufferable entitled sack of shit was too big of an ask to waste my time with.

Nothing else has appealed to me since. Abyss looks like a big leap forward, so I'm excited to give this series another go.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I've been a series fan since I imported Phantasia SFC back in the day. A Gamefan preview of the game sold me - those beautiful graphics, the massive cart size (the largest SNES cart up to that point), the interesting-looking battle system, the long questline and reports the game has its own theme song...
I remember receiving the game on the day I went to take the test for my permit... holy shit, can't believe how long ago that was :/

tbh after Graces F (I did -not- like this game) I fell off the boat for the series a bit, having not played Xillia 1, 2, Hearts, and Zestiria... but played and beat Berseria a few months ago and liked most of it, though it wore off its welcome towards the end like all Tales games tend to. Prior to that I own and have played most of the series. Favorite is of course Vesperia.

Last edited:

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I've played a few Tales games but only finished one (Symphonia). Looking forward to this one.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Played every game brought to the USA from Symphonia and on, obviously super excited for this, since this seems like its a pretty "high effort" release for them, and the graphics/tech are being taken up quite a lot (I feel like some of the PS3 engine games-many which were PS4 games un USA- were starting to feel a little phoned in and budget game-ish (even if Berseria turned out pretty good).

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been a big fan of the series, but I've enjoyed a few of the games. Haven't decided if I'll pick Arise up since I have a few games I'm working through.

The ones I'm familiar with are:
- Tales of Phantasia (fan translation rom for Super Famicom back in the day)
- Tales of Destiny
- Watched my girlfriend at the time play Tales of Symphonia
- Tales of the Abyss
- Tales of Xillia
- Watched my wife play Tales of Berseria
And you didn't join your girlfriend or wife for some coop? If not, missed chance. Sad coop won't be in Arise.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Honestly I'm not so sure. I'm really on the fence with this game as being my first 'tales' game. On one hand the battles sort of remind me Star Ocean. I liked that style, but also the combat in previews seem to take forever whittling down monsters and what not, dragging on and on for a long time.