• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Spiderman be the highest-selling Sony-published game ever?

• Yes

Votes: 245 21.1%
  • No, but it'll be #2.

Votes: 75 6.5%
  • No, but it'll do at least 10m.

Votes: 409 35.2%
  • No, but it will sell between 5-10m.

Votes: 378 32.6%
  • No, it will bomb (under 5m).

Votes: 54 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Looking at Horizon's first year performance, Spider-Man is definitely going for a 10m+ first year. The potential for huge legs is there with the T rating and kids everywhere begging their parents to get them the game.

Hopefully the huge sales will lead to more people remembering how his name is written...

Oct 29, 2017
Lumping together TLOU PS3 and PS4's sales is a bit unfair. They're not the same SKU, nor is it a simultaneous multi platform release.

Gran Turismo 4 is the highest selling single SKU that Sony has ever released. That's a fairer comparison against Spider-Man.

And no, Spider-Man won't match that. It'll crack 10 million for sure though!

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
People are really sleeping on Spider-Man its going to sell great just like GOW, maybe even better since its the Spider-Man IP. Assuming the game is great too of course.

Deleted member 1062

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really bizarre to me that you forgot the hyphen in Spider-Man but put a hyphen in "Sony-published"

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hype train went a bit too far imho, the game will be big but not.the biggest thing Sony has ever done.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If 5 million constitutes a bomb now, then EA has successfully won in warping perception and therefore justified for killing Dead Space since the 3rd only sold 4 million copies.

This too. I'm both scared and excited for tomorrow. I have my popcorn ready.

You mean Dead Space 2 sold 4 million, no? The 3rd did just over half that, so of course they let it go. If it at least matched what 2 did I think we would've seen a 4 this generation.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's that possibility, with MCU being as huge as a franchise can get at the moment, and the Spider-man name itself is as popular as the whole MCU.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
If it releases and has great success on PS4 then releases later on PS5 It has a very good chance to be 1. Other than that no

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man the schizophrenia about this game's performance is nuts. It'll do fine, it's not going to break any records.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Sony might bring back the Spiderman font for PS5 if that happens! :C

Hasn't GOW already sold 9m?
Spiderman probably can do similar number or better

I hope Spiderman is huge cause im a big insomniac fan and they deserve a massive success this gen.

Spiderman is their most ambition project but with a little help from Marvel and Sony, why wouldn't you have any confidence?

The thirst for spiderman is real. 15+ million copies sold

Yes, IMO Spiderman is more popular name than TLOU

Jesus Christ, the disrespect in here!...

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Spiderman isn't as popular as Spider-Man, so I doubt it'll reach as high of sales as some people expect. Spider-Man, on the other hand, will sell extremely well.

Oct 25, 2017
This will probably sell on par with the Batman Arkham games.

It will beat Arkham Knight lifetime sales before the end of this calendar year. No contest.

Gonna be interesting to revisit this thread after launch. Pretty sure it will eclipse anything else from Sony this gen.

I still think TLOU2 ends ups the highest. Spider-Man will be #2 or #3. The top 4 or 5 exclusives will all pass 10 million though.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think it has a chance at surpassing God of War on widespread appeal alone. With that said, whoever loses, both Sony and gamers win.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When people say TLOU was sold on 2 platforms, they should also mention that the game was released at the very end of ps3 gen.

Last edited:

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
TLoU sold 17 million copies. And is still selling.
If Spider-Man does half of that, it will be considered an enormous success, and Insomniac best selling game ever.

TLoU numbers just seem unreachable.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
TLoU sold 17 million copies. And is still selling.
If Spider-Man does half of that, it will be considered an enormous success, and Insomniac best selling game ever.

TLoU numbers just seem unreachable.

I think that's possible. Also it's hard to compare when TLOU has had a remaster adding to those numbers. Doesn't seem like a fair comparison.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
lol at downplaying 17 million of TLoU. If someone had told you in 2013 that this new IP from ND in overplayed zombie genre will do 17m over two generations you would've called him crazy.

Jesus Christ, the disrespect in here!...

If they bring back Spidey font for PS5 and its called Play-Station 5 I'm switching to Xbox next.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
lol at downplaying 17 million of TLoU. If someone had told you in 2013 that this new IP from ND in overplayed zombie genre will do 17m over two generations you would've called him crazy.

If they bring back Spidey font for PS5 and its called Play-Station 5 I'm switching to Xbox next.
PS5 will feature hygroscopic divots all across its entire surface for attracting and holding beautiful puddles. It's gonna be great

Xliskin

Oct 28, 2017
TLOU sales took advantage of time still I think eventually Spiderman will surpass TLOU numbers

What is with hyphen thing going on here :/

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Uncharted 4 has sold over 10 million, that'd be a good start for Spidey.

GT3 at almost 15 mil will be a tough ask.

I'll be shocked if it gets to TLOU's 17 mil.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol metascores have very little to do with sells, Destiny being a perfect example.
GoW preorders increased significantly once reviews dropped. It does have to do with sales. Also, who's to say Destiny wouldn't have sold more if it scored better.

Yeah, you don't need good review to sell more, however, there is evidence that suggest better reviews (especially in the 90+ area) can increase sales performance of a title significantly. Especially if the reviews drop a few days before release.

Last edited: