• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
It would be a petty move and show they're scared if they feel they need to counter like that. The only thing either side should be concerned what the other is doing is pricing.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
They are, Bugsnax tomorrow.

Probably pre-orders some time in the next week or so.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Might release some more info about already announced games, but beyond that I doubt it. Should be a couple of weeks before we get a date for the SOP

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
Preorders going live during the MS event, or at least the announcement, would take a good chunk of the online chatter away from MS, but I'm not sure they are overly bothered with trying to pay those kind of games.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't work like that. There is no reason to fight over spotlight by flooding media with news at the same time as someone else. Especially when there is no E3 to "force" everyone to show their hands at the same time.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
There's no point. Why muddle any news you release just to somewhat screw with MS' conference? They're not taking away any significant presence from that conference (bar throwing the console up for pre-orders) regardless of what they do, so just let MS have that day.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Unless Microsoft drops some major news this week, I don't see why Sony would deviate from their current PR plan.

I'm guess MS will release more information about their games and launch lineup (Probably not even finalized launch lineup), which Sony has done already?

What would they be countering except just general attention? They have another event coming in a month or so, maybe even more than that (As I assume MS does too).

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
It seems that both Microsoft and Sony seem to have been giving each other a wide birth as far as marketing is concerned.

Gibbs

Oct 25, 2017
West Virginia
Sony will be watching for sure, but I don't suspect them to come in and pull a dick move. Sony is arrogant, but I don't think they are that arrogant. They will be watching to see how to combat what Xbox has, and whats to come in the sense. Both consoles cater to a different crowd.

Microsoft will always have the better MP experience, as Sony will always deliver a stunning single player campaign that will be GOTY worthy.

Console strength doesn't mean shit when Sony could have the lesser console and still pull out Triple A masterpieces. It all comes down to the games, and the experiences. I think most forget that. Graphics aren't much when the game and gameplay are crap.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they do that? Doing so would make them look reactive, which isn't a great look in this competitive market.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Put pre-orders of the PS5 up during the show.

I would bet Microsoft will finally reveal the price and date in this conference, but reading this makes me think they maybe shouldn't, just in preparation for Sony doing something evil like this.

So they can then immediately counter this with a price tag that backfires on Sony's end.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. They'll probably just wait until early August or the final week of July before making any moves.

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
If they announce something I anticipate it being tomorrow. If there is nothing tomorrow then they will wait for Xbox to go first

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
No. They have respected MS's time as MS has theirs. Doing this would look petty and opens the door for MS to strike as well (undercut price hours after Sony announces, if they go first, for example).

As for Greenberg's tweet, there was a ton of confusion as to what was exclusive and what was not at Sony's event (something MS got raked over the coals for due to ROTR hence their "Exclusive, World Premiere" fetishization) and console warriors were already pulling the "XbOx hAs n0 GaMeS" card by claiming Hitman 3, RE Village, etc. were PS5 exclusive. Aaron rightfully shut up that discourse, but reworded it in his Aaron way with the "and rest assured they will play best on Series X" remark that, while it may be factually true, still came off as petty.

Sony can and should hype up the fact that many third party games on Wednesday are coming to PS5. That is normal. Hitting with the price and God of War 2 or something a day later looks petty and means the gloves are off.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
Dont see anything this week from Sony. Maybe next week if the State of Play is in early August. But I'm guessing mid to late August for that.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I would bet Microsoft will finally reveal the price and date in this conference, but reading this makes me think they maybe shouldn't, just in preparation for Sony doing something evil like this.

So they can then immediately counter this with a price tag that backfires on Sony's end.
They won't reveal any hardware info at the event. They are explicitly waiting for Sony's price. Sony loves to undercut, hell, they arguably beat SEGA and Xbox by doing it, but MS does not want it to happen again. It's getting to a point where Keighley should have Jim and Phil on and have them announce the price at the same time, no takebacksies.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
No, both Sony and Microsoft have been pretty good about letting each other have their space.

Pulling some shit like dropping the price and announcing the preorders would just be incredibly mean spirited, especially coming from the market leader.

Jun 15, 2020
After the Sony show, people got real shitty at Microsoft just because one exec tweeted that Hitman and Resident Evil were also coming to Xbox. So if Sony were to do something much bigger, I'm sure they'd get the same response, right?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
They won't reveal any hardware info at the event. They are explicitly waiting for Sony's price. Sony loves to undercut, hell, they arguably beat SEGA and Xbox by doing it, but MS does not want it to happen again. It's getting to a point where Keighley should have Jim and Phil on and have them announce the price at the same time, no takebacksies.

It's almost August, I'm really curious how long they can do this.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I think Microsoft is going to announce another event at the end of next week's show tbh, and it'll probably be the lockhart hardware reveal + price conference.

I'm really surprised they don't plan to announce price next week.

Karate Kid

Banned
Jan 29, 2018

hqdefault.jpg

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I doubt it. What would be the point? Unless they release there pricing info which would likely be beneficial to Microsoft

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I think Xbox could do this all the way up until launch. I don't think they care. They'd probably let you preorder even without a number attached to it. If they announce before Sony, one of two things happen :

1. they say 500, Sony undercuts them, they change price to match Sony. They look bad for maybe a day. Phil said they'd be flexible on price and this is what that looks like a la AMD
2. They announce at 400

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
They haven't "countered" any MS move so far, so I'd guess not. Plus, they don't have to. Look at the social media metrics for the Xbox and PS announcements of anything regarding the next gen. They have the upper hand and they know it.