• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 26, 2018
Good guy Phil Xbox has implemented a few nice user-centered OS-level features like Quick Resume, BC, FPS Boost, Smart Delivery. Some of these are not a direct income driver but they still help to make the case and push the user decision towards their ecosystem. They seem to be working hard on the software side of the Console and also seem less conservative than Sony overall.

Now, I'm sure they could something to facilitate game mods on Xbox. I do understand that each game is a world and it might be not a universal thing, but they still could do a Steam workshop kind of thing. Not to mention Reshade but omg that's daydreaming. I also understand the risks associated with this (eg, security) and online gaming fairness. Those exists in the PC world, and they might seem more "accountable" than they or Steam are for keeping their users safe and all, but again that could be worked of they really wanted to.

Could they? Would they? What do you think?

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I think they will facilitate it on the Windows Store, yes, console is complicated but who knows.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
With Bethesda trying to do console mods with their previous games, I imagine there'll be a renewed push now that Microsoft own them. Fallout 4 had mods but they were still fairly limited.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I feel like the best they could do here is be open in regard to certification. The game companies themselves would have to handle the infrastructure in that case. Similar to how it is done by Fallout and Skyrim.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I'm sure that one of the Starfield rumors mentioned a system wide modding platform, we will see if is true tho.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
It would only really make sense for a pretty small subsection of games. I hope Bethesda continues forward with their modding efforts though on Xbox. It's very much appreciated for Fallout and Skyrim.

Sep 29, 2019
Isn't it a more game-based thing, rather than the console itself? Sure Microsoft Store could allow more modding PC-wise (i am not sure how it works on PC), but i know that there are games with quite great modding support on Xbox, like Skyrim and Fallout.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
They have certainly been trying stuff behind the scenes.

From 2018:

www.windowscentral.com

Microsoft's 'Xbox Community Content' platform could bring more mods to Xbox One games

Microsoft is bringing mod support to Xbox One games in a big way, at least according to a leaked internal presentation.
I think they will facilitate it on the Windows Store, yes, console is complicated but who knows.
they already have it for game pass pc. Devs have to enable it though which is dumb.

But if the new store coming in the fall is to be believed. Devs can just upload standard win32 files, no packaging necessary. So will just be a normal modding process.

www.windowscentral.com

Microsoft is building a new app store for Windows 10 in major revitalization effort

Microsoft wants to bring life back to the Store app on Windows 10.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I mean they were at the forefront when it came to getting Skyrim and FO4 mods on console, and you're allowed to mod a lot more than you are on PS4. I expect the same for Starfield and other BGS games going forward. The thing with mods for BGS games are the mods can be neatly packaged and the game is designed to support them with official tools. Most games don't get official modding tools released and they require community developed tools to mod, and it might require modifying original game files which I don't see flying on console. So a global "you can mod anything" support? No way... but if the developer can set up something similar to how Bethesda does it then I don't see them blocking it.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
I'm still surprised modding on consoles isn't a common feature. I get it: little Timmy can unblur the Sims "woohoo" time, and confused parents will come after the console companies. Still, I remember modding Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3 with Master Chief, Marcus Fenix, an over-the-shoulder third person camera, and some awesome custom maps. Figured it was going to get more common after that. Oh well.