Will Last of Us part 2 have the biggest opening in playstation history in terms of sales?

• Yes

Votes: 846 66.6%
  • No Spidey will keep that record for now

Votes: 356 28.0%
  • FF7 remake duh

Votes: 68 5.4%

• Total voters

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Considering the lack of multiplayer this time around, I don't see the game getting anything higher than a 90 on Metacritic. So when consumers see the muted response from the press, I think many of them will be dissuaded from buying the game due to the perceived lack of value, and that of course will hinder pre-orders and day one sales. So the short answer is: no, I don't see it beating Spider-Man.
Botw, The Witcher 3 and God of War didn't have multiplayer, but they all reached a 90+ on MC.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It will be very tight between FFVII(R) and TLoU Pt 2.

In the grander scheme of things, given these are not niche titles (afaik), they should sell plenty for SE to pursue the next part of the remake and to fund next ND projects, respectively.

Jun 14, 2018
God of War and Spider-Man did 3.1m and 3.3m respectively in just 3 days on an install base less than 100m. The PS4 install base could be around 105m by the time The Last of Us Part II releases, so that'll definitely help. I feel like it's got a great chance of doing more than 4 million in the same 3 day span.

And that's going to be with people outright buying it for $60 per copy, not through a $1 trial on a subscription service.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I think it will because it'll have the biggest marketing budget of any game they've done. Look at Uncharted 4, it was their biggest market push for any game yet. It had trailers in theaters for two high profile movies and every Amazon package had U4 logos on it. TLOU2 will top even that.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I'm not sold. TLOU2 is much more violent and will be rated M, whereas Spider-man is T. That can go a long way.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, thanks for that.

Honestly I could see TLOU 2 selling close to 5M in 3 days.

I have a lot of friends that keep talking about this game, and they basically only play FIFA and/or Gran Turismo.
It will be massive.
God of War and Spider-Man did 3.1m and 3.3m respectively in just 3 days on an install base less than 100m. The PS4 install base could be around 105m by the time The Last of Us Part II releases, so that'll definitely help. I feel like it's got a great chance of doing more than 4 million in the same 3 day span.

And that's going to be with people outright buying it for $60 per copy, not through a $1 trial on a subscription service.
I think ~4M in 3 days sounds about right (maybe upper 3M). 5M would be absolutely crazy.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
AW13RPj.gif

vs

JexkbZC.gif

Who won? Who's next? YOU decide!

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I did think it wouldn't be possible but going off Benjis tweet it may have a good chance now.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Don't know. Parents aren't exactly going to rush out there and buy this game for their 8 year old. Spider-man yes, TLoU mmm dont know

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love FF VII, TLOU II is most likely gonna be my favorite PS4 game ever, by a long shot. TLOU grew to easily be one of my favorite games ever.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Spidey's got 8 legs for days. TLOU2 opens higher but has not chance of dethroning Spider-Man. It doesn't have the reach or IP power.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I actually don't think it will beat Spider-Man, but clearly it's going to perform very well.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah i think it will most likely beat spider man's record. but i don't understand why ff7 is included in the poll, is it about the biggest 1st party launch or are we counting 3rd parties too?

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
yeah i think it will most likely beat spider man's record. but i don't understand why ff7 is included in the poll, is it about the biggest 1st party launch or are we counting 3rd parties too?
It's a high profile exclusive launching at the same timeframe but I don't think it'll beat either SM or TLOU2.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Officially released numbers from Sony themselves on May's IR Day 2019

God-of-War.png

Hopefully this will help to snap the Era bubble out of some folks.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Put some respect on NDs name, they are realeasing a game with the ND and PlayStation logo, and 95+ MC. Of course it will over throw Spider-Man. And with the recent MCU Spider-Man scandal his name has been tarnished.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe. It won't be by much either way IMO.

Officially released numbers from Sony themselves on May's IR Day 2019

God-of-War.png

Hopefully this will help to snap the Era bubble out of some folks.

What 'Era bubble'? 70% so far agree with you, just not as obnoxiously.

Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 copy of TLOU alone, sold 11 million.

Everything named Naughty Dog this gen has sold +15 million this generation.
God damm ! It seems like yesterday when they released Uncharted 1 on the PS3 and back then they were regarded as a decent but not a great developer, Uncharted 2 changes everything for them. I believed people started calling them Naughty Gods after Uncharted 2.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Remasted sold better than the PS3 version?

how the hell? Did people miss it the first time?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spidey's got 8 legs for days. TLOU2 opens higher but has not chance of dethroning Spider-Man. It doesn't have the reach or IP power.
lol TLOU has sold over 20 million copies. So yeah, TLOU2 will be huge.
Considering the lack of multiplayer this time around, I don't see the game getting anything higher than a 90 on Metacritic. So when consumers see the muted response from the press, I think many of them will be dissuaded from buying the game due to the perceived lack of value, and that of course will hinder pre-orders and day one sales. So the short answer is: no, I don't see it beating Spider-Man.
🎣

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, Sony alluded to something similar for the Uncharted Collection saying that they were basically new games for the vast, vast majority of PS4 users. The 8 million people who bought TLOU on PS3 are only a fraction of the PS userbase after all.

Sep 14, 2019

Well I mean along with GT6 it came out the last year of the Playstation 3's life, many people were probably gearing up for next-gen.

They also probably include free PS Plus downloads as sales, and it's been free twice before and is free now (though obviously the fact that it's free now might not apply to the graph, and depending on how old it is might not even apply to the 2nd free period).

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
lol TLOU has sold over 20 million copies. So yeah, TLOU2 will be huge.

🎣

I'm putting TLOU2 at 25 milli, honestly.

By the time TLOU2 comes out, PS4 is coming fresh out of Holidays and hitting the console during Tax Return season

Install base should be at more or less 113 million, a far bigger PlayStation audience from where TLOU 1 opened at, and during a period where PS4 exclusives are attracting more buyers than ever and PlayStation branding is stronger than ever.

25 million and more should be on the table.

Sep 14, 2019
They probably don't because that never happens.

Why not?

The chart isn't about revenue or profit, it's just about the amount of copies of the game are dispersed on one platform. About brand recognition and strength. It wouldn't be disingenuous at all to include free digital downloads through PS Plus in that scenario.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That's a tough bet to make. I will say though that if any other exclusive could possibly beat Spider-Man, its TLOU2