• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
With the new reveals of these Nvidia cards yesterday are we now coming to a point where they will simply replace PCs completely.

Becoming all encompassing devices where you won't need PC's for memory, storage etc and everything will be on the graphics card Itself. It will be what people buy like a console Just one device rather than various parts and peripherals complicating things due to incompatibilities?

It seems to be heading this way with the size of these things and the memory where half of it can be used for memory and the other half for video memory. With the size of flash memory it would be easy to attach onto a GPU the size of a 3090 too. I mean the GPU is taller than a XBSX already so it can fit at least as much on.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
No.
Like, seriously, GPUs are good for what they do, but they in no way replace a CPU, or RAM or permanent storage or fucking anything.
I don't want to sound dismissive here, but just open the Wkipedia page for personal computer, OP. It's ok to not know stuff and be curious.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Nvidia believed GPUs could replace CPUs. I think we'll probably have some kind of CPU for a very long time but might get away with going with weaker ones if most tasks down the line end up being done better by the GPU.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
You still need a CPU, ram, and other things in the motherboard, unless the GPU becomes a box with the different components needed to act as a singular device, like a Mac Pro, or whatever Apple calls it's all in one monitor.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Yes.

Eg7wrK9WsAM8nNN

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No. A CPU and GPU are functionally different and excel at different types of computations. GPUs in particular are great at what they do, but can't do many of the things that a CPU architecture can.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, if you're talking about PCs being built with a SoC, then sure. Macs will be built on Apple SoCs in the very near future.

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
No. Graphics cards will be replaced by cloud computing and you'll have to download the best graphics whenever you want to upgrade.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think the GPU still needs to grow a bit bigger. Maybe if 2x the size of the 3090 it could replace your PC. If you shrink it down, you could also replace your phone. Soon we'll be wearing GPUs on our bodies, imagine that!

MXG

Oct 29, 2018
GPUs are specialized processing unit, they've long way ahead to function without CPU, if that ever becomes possible.
And Games are becoming increasingly complex, GPUs are not gonna cut it. To this day, if you need high framerate, YOU must have a powerful CPU.

So, to answer your question, NO.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a really good troll thread I am thinking about posting that has to do with these GPUs but I am restraining myself

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
What!?

OP, I don't want to sound rude here, but do you have any knowledge about computer science?

Oct 28, 2017
No. A CPU and GPU are functionally different and excel at different types of computations. GPUs in particular are great at what they do, but can't do many of the things that a CPU architecture can.
While the CPU is developing at a snails pace (with Moore's law breaking down), GPU's are developing at a higher pace. It's possible that at some point these will intersect, meaning that GPU's will be just as good as CPU's at general computation. GPU's can already do general computation it's just that they are slower than CPU's for these tasks.

I'm don't have actual in depth PC knowledge though.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Yeah I don't want to be rude to you but I think you've gone beyond the point of oversimplification haha

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I think this could actually happen someday, but it would be more along the lines of APUs getting much stronger. The future is full of possibilities. Computers as we know them today will be a thing of the past in 20-30 years. Y'all so shortsighted, bro

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I wish, especially since they starting to cost as much as an entire PC build on the higher end.