• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Demon's Souls take the crown?

• For sure!

Votes: 741 46.5%
  • It might be top 5.

Votes: 496 31.1%
  • No way.

Votes: 358 22.4%

• Total voters

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
as a souls fan, absolutely. I can see why someone people wouldn't consider it a must have however.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Checking the OP I didn't realise how weak the launch line up for Sony consoles were. In that sense... maybe, but being a remake (of a game I already played) takes most of the points off in my book.

So, in that senses I'd say no.

Last edited:

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. Demon's Souls has such niche appeal that I wouldn't consider it the ultimate killer app.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
demon's souls is the dark souls of launch titles
0cIwohK.gif

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
It's an insane launch title. I didn't think they would be able to meet their release date target.
Yup, crazy that this is making day 1. This and Miles at the same time (plus Astro as a pack-in) is really impressive.

Spider-Man has the widest appeal. Souls has the strongest cult following. It's an incredible one-two punch to kick the gen off.
Yeah, it's a great combo.
Plus all the people that missed out on this first Souls game before the series fully took off.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Greatest, but also the most unoriginal greatest launch title.

The underlying game itself is still something we can all play on PS3 if need be.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a proven game that looks better than any other launch game on either system so most likely yes. I will say that Golden Abyss was pretty impressive for its time too.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
What's with the absurd trend to underrate it because it's a remake? Yes, it's the new and from what we've seen excellent-looking version from an already excellent and important release.

If ports from older consoles are lauded as the second coming of your Savior, surely remakes are also part of the discussion.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naah it's no Wipeout and I love Demons Soul. Wipeout legitimised Sony's entrance into consoles.

ps3ud0 8)

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
In terms of newness I see Demon's Souls as a Wii U -> Switch port type of situation. Yeah, it's an old game, but I bet very few PS5 owners are going to have actually played it. It's going to be new for an absolute shitload of people, including many who fancy themselves as Soulsborne connoisseurs.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
A remake being the best? That's a low barrier. I am actually more excited for the platformers, astrobot and LBP. They look really good.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Having a big, meaty RPG with online hooks at launch is a Definite Good Thing. And I would imagine quite a few Souls players didn't play it in its day!

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, were the launch lineups this small for previous consoles? I always thought most console launches were 10-12 games (except for the N64, which had 2 IIRC, Mario 64 and Pilotwings).

But yeah, to answer OP's question -- no, I think Miles Morales will actually be the biggest/best/most acclaimed PS console launch title when all the dust settles.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely in the upper ranks.

I think Wipeout, Ridge Racer and Lumines are probably the others.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'd say yes. Barring the actual game being broken or somehow sucking, it edges out Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
When I pre-ordered my console through Sony it was the only sold out game. It's gonna be massive and I think will be remembered as one of the best launch releases. Really happy for Bluepoint.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
10 million copies across how many consoles. There is going to be a metric shit ton of people who buy this thinking it's just a hack and slash. It's not a game for casuals.

thus making miles the better launch title.
Let's pretend there's an even distribution across PS4, Xbox, and PC. That's still 3.3 million per console. That's hardly niche.

Im not even comparing it to Miles. I'm just saying that there's no world where a ten million selling game would be considered a niche title.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Absolutely, but Lumines and SSX are good shit too.

Also, what's up with people saying Demon's Souls is niche? The market for Dark Souls is naturally going to gravitate towards it, and Dark Souls III is the second best selling non-Nintendo Japanese game of this gen. It sold better than Final Fantasy XV, FFVIIR, Halo 5, Kingdom Hearts 3, every RE game, every Gears game, every Tomb Raider that was on current gen hardware. The only Japanese non-Nintendo game it didn't sell better than was Monster Hunter World.

Demon's Souls ain't niche anymore. Obviously the conditions of its release and exclusivity means it won't sell as well as Dark Souls III, but it has HUGE, far-reaching appeal and will easily hit at least 5 million sold by the end of 2021. Mark it down.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That list in the OP is surprisingly underwhelming, so yeah, DeS will pretty easily be the best.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Depends if you count first party only or not.

I would put it top 5 though, let's not forget as well that Demon Souls isn't exactly a star, it didn't light the world on fire, it was something many only discovered years later. Now with the newer larger popularity of PlayStation, the Souls genre, and a lack of other games to play is it seemingly standing so tall.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
The disrespect to Knack is obscene. I expect no less than permabans for those not putting respect on its name.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
It's a remake of a game that isn't even that old. I guess if you love Souls games it's pretty great, but for the mass consumer no not really.

It doesn't compare to something like BotW.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Can a resmaster be considered the best game?

Otherwise Black Flag certainly makes its case, along with Resogun and SSX. Beyond those, don't sleep on Valhalla to potentially be another contender.

Would Cyberpunk count? I guess it might not technically be built for that system but it'll be there at launch.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
How could anyone possibly even reach a conclusion before November 12th? Also, I wonder how it'll be received, given how many people just don't like that style of game.

Personally, I think if we're looking at a best case scenario for every PS5 launch game it falls behind Miles Morales. But even then almost every hardware launch lineup listed in the OP has a game I'd rather play.

But again, how can I know until November?