Will it?

• Yes

Votes: 81 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 308 79.2%

• Total voters

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Diablo IV - Baldur's Gate III - Starfield - Spider-Man 2 will make it great year for me but there were surely better years.

2023 can be 2020s best year probably and 2011 was the 2010s best year. 2007 was 2000s best year.

1998 will never be topped
This is the best gaming year of all time. Both in quality and quantity. Also the innovation was the peak.

Half-Life
Fallout 2
Metal Gear Solid
Thief: The Dark Project
Crash: Bandicoot
Grim Fandango
MediEvil
Starcraft
RE2

Makes it 10/10 for me.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Kr1spy

Oct 28, 2017
Silver Spring, MD
Diablo IV - Baldur's Gate III - Starfield - Spider-Man 2 will make it great year for me but there were surely better years.

2023 can be 2020s best year probably and 2011 was the 2010s best year. 2007 was 2000s best year.

This is the best gaming year of all time. Both in quality and quantity. Also the innovation was the peak.

Half-Life
Fallout 2
Metal Gear Solid
Thief: The Dark Project
Crash: Bandicoot
Grim Fandango
MediEvil
Starcraft
RE2

Makes it 10/10 for me.

Crash Bandicoot came out in 1996. Crash Bandicoot: Warped was 1998.

1998 is definitely the best or at least the most important year in gaming history. Also had Banjo-Kazooie, Pokemon Red/Blue (in the west), Gran Turismo (in the west), Unreal, Spyro the Dragon, Tenchu: Stealth Assassins, Baldur's Gate, Xenogears, and this tiny little mostly unknown indie game called The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I love how both years that are classified as legendary years are the years that both PSVR 1 and 2 were their first year on the market.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
While I'd like to actually get through the year before crowning it, I am tired of "we say this every year" like 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 weren't all packed with incredible games. Yes we've had a few disappoint over the years, but there hasn't been a bad year in video games in a long, long time.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Street Fighter 6 is probably my most anticipated video game ever. More so since I've played the beta.

I don't know if 2023 is the dawn of some new age, but it's looking about as stacked as years get for video games.

echomarin

Banned
Jan 3, 2023
Looks like a downgrade from 2022 to me. Nothing looks like it will be on the level of Forbidden west or even Ragnarok.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
We say every year that we say this every year but this might be the year after which we'll say: that was definitely a year.

Sep 10, 2020
Don't forget we're getting two Like a Dragon games! This year definitely has shades of 2017. If only we could get something Nier related...

JT_77

Mar 15, 2021
Starfield, Baulders Gate 3, Diablo 4. These three games alone are enough. Add Redfall, Jedi Survivor, Silksong, RE4 + a strong indie line up and its shaping up to be best year in a decade.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Baldur's Gate 3 is releasing, so absolutely.

There's never been a better time to be playing video games.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
It'll follow a similar path to the past few years I'd imagine - Q1 packed with stuff and then picks up again in Q4. Hoping the late year big hitters don't get delayed though.

Special mention to June too, assuming no delays.

The older I get through the more I realise that the 'golden age' is generally a formative year for most people and nostalgia will mean that no modern year of releases ever looks quite as good. 98 was great though.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Actually quite a large bunch of things I'm looking forward to this year..

• Portal: Revolution
  • RE4make
  • Star Wars Jedi Survivor
  • Dead Space Remake
  • Starfield
  • Diablo 4
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Zelda
  • HK Silksong
  • System Shock Remake
  • Atomic Heart
  • Bushiden
  • Gestalt Steam and Cinder
  • Akurra
  • Sea of Stars
  • The Last Faith
  • Planet of Lana
  • Replaced
  • RoboCop Rogue City
  • Phantom Fury
  • Amid Evil Black Labyrinth
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Pikmin 4

Deleted member 106050

Nov 26, 2021
Platinum falls short, so very short. It will be a paradigm shift. A new way to understand gaming.

2023 will mark the star of the Videogamium Age.

WildArms

Apr 30, 2022
To add to this, I vaguely recall... didn't Emily Rogers also say 2024 would be something similar to 2023?

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
OP, what are you saying?

An "age of" or just a really good year? Like, no one calls 2017 the age of anything. Is 2023 leading to something more promising in the future?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
For me, quite possibly.

Starfield
FF16
Diablo 4
Zelda

That's quite a list of heavy hitters just there alone, if you're into them.

Urðr

Aug 13, 2020
I've been interested in like 5 games in the last three years, and this one has like 10 releases I'd like to play, so... it could be for me lol.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
No way after Bayo 3 /s

I don't usually think about years in gaming I guess. If good games come out that's nice though.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Potentially, yes. There's a crazy amount of games coming out that I want to play. In recent times only 2017 can compare.

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia
For me, the best year in history. All the games I've been waiting for years are coming this year. Some might get pushed back but there will be new ones for sure. I don't really care about singleplayer games tho there are few I'm hyped for. I'm more into online PvE or just co-op games and this is the year for that. My list is giant and it's not possible to find time to play all of them.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It's going to be a hell of a year, but outside of Starfield the big games we're excited for are all iterative sequels. The truly great years have left field games like Half Life or Nier Automata sneak up on you while you are waiting for Zelda. No big anticipation list is going to be able to predict those beforehand.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
It has a good chance because of the big amount of delays in 2021 and 2022.
Many games should already be released if it wasn't for COVID.
Now, I think is inevitable that Theres more releases in 2023 and 2024 in comparison with what we had in the last few years, and to be honest, thanks god for that!!

Bulgowski

Apr 8, 2022
2023 seems like a good year. Looking forward to finally playing Tears of the Kingdom and Silksong.

With that said, looking at 2023 currently doesn't have me as excited as 2022 did at the beginning of the year.

The concept of Elden Ring, Tears of the Kingdom, Silksong, Ragnorok, Starfield and Horizon all in the same year was insane (although obviously this wasn't how it panned out).

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Maybe its a hot take, but I geniuly believe that Street Fighter 6 will completely change the standard for fighting game. I really believe that game will accomplish big things. So its a yes for me.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Probably the best year since 2017, potentially

A 3D Zelda, a Final Fantasy that looks amazing, the best Resident Evil is getting a remake, Silksong might actually release this year, Spider-Man sequel, Street Fighter VI is gonna be fantastic, 2 goddamn Yakuza games, a new Pikmin holy shit, MEGA MAN BATTLE NETWORK IS BACK

All we just need is a new 3D Mario 🥲

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Every year is the best year in gaming.

With the democratization of game development & distribution, we've long since past the age of droughts and lack of quality content across all sectors of the medium.

OP
OP
Justified

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Where did the "spiderman is niche" meme come from

Shadow of the Tomb Raider director stated in an interview that they were not worried about releasing in the same window as Spider-Man, and someone agreed by saying Spider-Man was niche, while Tomb Raider had worldwide appeal and was releasing on more consoles (implying Tomb Raider would outsell it)