• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
So in for the Definitive Edition. Having to regrind might suck, but at least it'll suck at 60fps!

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
My most replayed Final Fantasy single player. Played so much of it on PS2, then PCSX2, and again on the PC release at 60fps and whatever res I wanted. I wonder if someone has an ultrawide setup now that I think about it (Edit: They do). I only wish I could take it to 144fps.

Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: I see a lot of people complaining that XII has a weak cast, but its party members aren't any worse than most given cast members from the SNES era games which are typically well-regarded. In fact I'd argue that for the most part they're better, Penelo excluded.

Not really fair to compare PS2 characters with full voice acting and cutscenes to SNES sprites.

But i agree that the cast in XII is strong, my only problem is that they focus too much on by far the weakest characters (Vaan/Penelo). Balthier is one of the best characters in the entire series and they picked Vaan to be the lead? Why??? Ashe would have also made alot more sense as lead because the story revolves around her, and Basch also would have made alot more sense.

Should have started off as a sky pirate sim with Balthier/Fran for the couple of hours, then introduced the political theme, Vaan/Penelo should have been afterthoughts while they focus on the other 4 characters.

So in for the Definitive Edition. Having to regrind might suck, but at least it'll suck at 60fps!

Those speed boosters though.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Not really fair to compare PS2 characters with full voice acting and cutscenes to SNES sprites.

But i agree that the cast in XII is strong, my only problem is that they focus too much on by far the weakest characters (Vaan/Penelo). Balthier is one of the best characters in the entire series and they picked Vaan to be the lead? Why??? Ashe would have also made alot more sense as lead because the story revolves around her, and Basch also would have made alot more sense.

Should have started off as a sky pirate sim with Balthier/Fran for the couple of hours, then introduced the political theme, Vaan/Penelo should have been afterthoughts while they focus on the other 4 characters.

I think what's weird is that they if wanted to have a more marketable main character and didn't want to have an older man like Matsuno originally wanted, they could have just made Ashe the viewpoint character instead and it would have probably worked a lot better because a lot of the story revolves around her anyways.

I definitely think Vaan would get a lot less flak if he was just one of the party members and not someone you spend the first few hours of the game with.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think what's weird is that they if wanted to have a more marketable main character and didn't want to have an older man like Matsuno originally wanted, they could have just made Ashe the viewpoint character instead and it would have probably worked a lot better because a lot of the story revolves around her anyways.

I definitely think Vaan would get a lot less flak if he was just one of the party members and not someone you spend the first few hours of the game with.

Vaan is actually very popular in Japan.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

I think Vaan works well as a way to show the oppression and the annexation of Rabanastre from the Empire. Ashe is a revenge-hungry would-be queen who was ready to wreck havoc just to get what she wants. The character arc of Ashe wouldn't be as impactful had Vaan not been there as a foil.

I think Vaan gets too much crap for no reason. At worst he looks like Alladin, at best he actually does things and shows that he is even more mature than Ashe at a fundamental level of belief and personality even though he doesn't show it superficially. You hardly see this level of introspection and awareness from a main character in FF so he does fill something that wasn't done before (except FFT)

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017

Those speed boosters though.

Who the "lead" is doesn't really matter after the first couple of hours.
You start the game from his perspective but after that it's all about Ashe achieving her goal, she's at the center of the plot and the character with the most screen time. Vaan being the lead or not is inconsequential to the way the plot unfolds. You can even bench him the entire game if you want.

I think Vaan works well as a way to show the oppression and the annexation of Rabanastre from the Empire. Ashe is a revenge-hungry would-be queen who was ready to wreck havoc just to get what she wants. The character arc of Ashe wouldn't be as impactful had Vaan not been there as a foil.

I think Vaan gets too much crap for no reason. At worst he looks like Alladin, at best he actually does things and shows that he is even more mature than Ashe at a fundamental level of belief and personality even though he doesn't show it superficially. You hardly see this level of introspection and awareness from a main character in FF so he does fill something that wasn't done before (except FFT)

My thoughts exactly, thanks for writing this post.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Most of the haters stopped playing before that scene happens.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Who the "lead" is doesn't really matter after the first couple of hours.
You start the game from his perspective but after that it's all about Ashe achieving her goal, she's at the center of the plot and the character with the most screen time. Vaan being the lead or not is inconsequential to the way the plot unfolds. You can even bench him the entire game if you want.

My thoughts exactly, thanks for writing this post.
You still going to have to control him inside cities, though.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019

I kind of agree. I played the game again not long ago and honestly Vaan is not even that annoying, he gets over his resentment of Basch fairly quickly (arguably TOO quickly) and at worst just plays a supporting role.

I think people would have had a more positive opinion of Vaan if he wasn't the player character for the first few hours and was just a party member you got later on. He isn't even an especially bland character honestly, it's just that the story doesn't revolve around him the way it does with most others so it gives people a bad impression.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can also see a bit of sexism when people complain about Vaan's outfit, despite Ashe having a much more ridiculous outfit

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
You can also see a bit of sexism when people complain about Vaan's outfit, despite Ashe having a much more ridiculous outfit

Vaan's outfit is more grating than it would be normally by virtue of having to control him in towns, but Ashe and Fran have way more egregious outfits that are totally out of character for them.

Really wish we could have gotten the more diversely dressed Viera of FFTA. Or an Ashe who took up Rasler's plate armor to lead the Resistance.

NGL though, I don't mind Basch's hilariously impractical ab window shirt.

Oct 27, 2017

This. I never really got the Vaan hate.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Hot take: I see a lot of people complaining that XII has a weak cast, but its party members aren't any worse than most given cast members from the SNES era games which are typically well-regarded. In fact I'd argue that for the most part they're better, Penelo excluded.

Not a hot take at all. FF XII, VI, and V are as good as it got for the mainline series.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Love this game! Decided not to double dip on the Switch version and try to go for the Platinum cuz I realized you can kill those super bosses in the horde mode where they're much weaker.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Among the old FF, XII is definitely the one I would replay thanks to its modern combat system and awesome graphics, but it's still a game I already player, and even though I love to play anything on Switch there are so many other games to play at the moment

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
Fast forwarding gameplay makes this game really good. Original release just felt like a chore back then.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I fully admit that despite being a huge FF fan since I was a kid, I didn't like FFXII the first time I played it. Playing it again in 2018, I realized that I was a moron, and the game was ahead of its time. The ending is still garbage, but up until that point, it's a masterstroke in combat design and art direction.

It's become my favorite modern FF. Pure genius.

The best playing Final Fantasy. and i like the original more than the Zodiac version, it was more challenging; the Dark Souls of JRPGs :P

I do not agree. The latter half of FFXII original is a cakewalk. Zodiac moves some of the most powerful spells to hard sections of optional dungeons that force you to actually earn them, instead of just buying or happening upon them.

Holy is a simple example, but in FFXII, Holy was purchasable from Balfonheim after a certain part of the story. In Zodiac Age, it's only found in an optional side part of one of the late game dungeons, and cannot be purchased.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I fully admit that despite being a huge FF fan since I was a kid, I didn't like FFXII the first time I played it. Playing it again in 2018, I realized that I was a moron, and the game was ahead of its time. The ending is still garbage, but up until that point, it's a masterstroke in combat design and art direction.

It's become my favorite modern FF. Pure genius.
Hmm. Can't wait to play it on the 30th for my Switch. Assuming BestBuy doesn't delay this particular order...

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Only played it for 20 hours because I failed at a boss fight for whatever reasons back then. Maybe I should give it another try on the Switch.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I can get around to spend another 120 hours on beating a goddamn game but maybe this will be the next one.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I lost interest in my PS2 playthrough way back in the day, and never really revisited it. I've been replaying old Final Fantasy games with a friend (though just one per year), so I'll bump back into it eventually. I do wonder if it's worth busting out the old PS2 for it, or to just make use the Zodiac Age edition. Are the Zodiac Age changes mostly aesthetic or mechanical, or does it alter the pacing and dungeon layouts as well? I recall those were the elements that made me drop it.

lumzi23

Jan 16, 2018
I tried the OG back in the day but could not get into it.

However, I have been meaning to say this for a while now and I will fight anyone who opposes me:

Final Fantasy XII's art style is the most unique of all FF games. It straddles a line between realism, anime and oil painting which makes it timeless. In fact there are only three other games that have their own unique visual identity that has not been replicated by games beyond its own franchise:

1. Prince of Persia 2008
2. Gravity Rush 2
3. Valkyria Chronicles 1

4. Wind Waker

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
The last truly great Final Fantasy, imo. 14 is a great MMO, and 15 was okay, but man 12 is really something special. Can't wait to play it in handheld mode

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I did play the Zodiac version... But the game doesn't click with me. It has potential and does some great things, but the gameplay bores me, some end-game areas are not that great (the Great Crystal, namely), and it has some serious ending fatigue.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to replay until I find a mod that allows me to use four party members at all times. But I know I'm going to cave and end up playing.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Gonna double dip on this... of course. Since apparently playing Final Fantasies is the thing in 2019 :D

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I lost interest in my PS2 playthrough way back in the day, and never really revisited it. I've been replaying old Final Fantasy games with a friend (though just one per year), so I'll bump back into it eventually. I do wonder if it's worth busting out the old PS2 for it, or to just make use the Zodiac Age edition. Are the Zodiac Age changes mostly aesthetic or mechanical, or does it alter the pacing and dungeon layouts as well? I recall those were the elements that made me drop it.

It's extremely worth it to get the Zodiac Age version. Graphics are improved, the job system was added, game was rebalanced, major QOL features added such as seamless 2x/4x fastforward (which eliminates any pacing issues).

With this newest release on Switch/XB1, there are even more QOL additions, such as the ability to change jobs (they were permanent choices in the PS4 Zodiac Age).

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i've heard so much good stuff about this and i always loved the look and style of the game. will pick up the switch version in a few months.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I was having an amazing time with the game until I hit a massive wall in some desert area. I was underlevelled and was an hour and a half through some torturous grinding when I just said fuck it and never went back to it. I am definitely tempted to pick this up after I finish PSIV

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
Yes, I absolutely adore this game. I'm not the biggest Final Fantasy fan, but the Ivalice world is just amazing in ways we rarely see in games. That reminds me: is Revenant Wings worth playing?

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_p1yyhxHho71u9t5z9o1_500.gif

FFXII was always one of my favorites, but pre-TZA, I wondered if I'd been looking at the game with nostalgia tinted glasses... but upon replay with TZA, FFXII truly impressed me more than the first time I played. The game holds up beautifully, from gameplay, to character models/animation, diverse locations to explore and outstanding art direction - plus the GOAT localization. (The quality of life additions to TZA also help!) I also think the re-recorded version of the soundtrack does Sakimoto's beautiful soundtrack more justice. There were so many pieces of music that stood out to me more in TZA that I'd missed in the original.

Absolutely this, and talking about Vaan's personal introspection is such a great point. Even though I'm always a bit grumpy that Vaan is the more advertised protagonist over Ashe (this seems to have changed a bit with TZA), I've become a bit of a Vaan defender, because he absolutely plays such an important role as a foil to Ashe. If it wasn't for Vaan, FFXII would have had a much darker ending for Ashe - and could have potentially become a villain's origin's story for her.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I tried the OG back in the day but could not get into it.
I tried the remaster and also couldn't get into it.

The first playable character/protagonist gave me a bad impression and I didn't like him even a bit. I also don't like "war stories" or stories that put you into it where it's "this country against that country." The minutes long introduction cinematic was also too convoluted for my taste. Also non-voiced NPCs is a huge turn-off (I got used to them since 2000...), and the running/walking animations really show their age as well. Add a pretty long playtime on top of all. Nope, I think this game isn't for me. Turned it off after an hour.

I think the only FF premise, and especially the exposition, I liked so far was of FFIX. X started strong, too, but the JRPG tropes drove me away and after twenty hours and decided that I will never finish it and uninstalled it. I think the FF franchise, maybe even JRPGs in general? aren't for me.

dedacc

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, I have not played those games.
Time & Eternity is... "special". I never thought I'd say this, but I can even sort-of get why people like FF XIII (a game I truly, deeply, detest) after having played it, because it's just that bad. The art's pretty and the music is OK, but the MC is a reprehensible pervert (the first conversation in the game has him make sexual passes at his fiancée's friends IN FRONT OF HER), the gameplay is lame and it's technically just a step above Ride to Hell.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
It's a game I really enjoy and I've put over 150 hours into The Zodiac Age on the PS4 (so I won't be paying the disgusting £44.99 for the Switch version). But for me FFXII will never be a top tier game because for two reasons.

1. It's too easy and 90% of the time there is pretty much no player input required by the player as you steam roll your way through enemies, this is even worse in ZA as the changes make the game even easier.

2. The story is sporadic and extremely poorly paced in places, combined with point 1 this makes the game somewhat of a slog for long periods.

I've found an old post I made which gives examples of what I mean:

Might be a bit over on the time but this stage of the game very little happens with long slogs, which due to the gambit system requires very little input or strategy from the player. The below is easily a 10-15 so I'll change my my 'little to no story progress' statement in my OP to 'very little story progress'

After Bhujerba & The Lhusu Mines:

- Dalmasca Westersand > Ogir-Yensa Sand Sea > Nam-Yensa Sandsea > Tomb of Raithwall (some story)

After that:

- Giza Plains > Ozmone Plain > Jahara (minor story) > Henne Mines > Golmore Jungle > Eyrut Village (some character developemnt for Fran) > Paramina Rift > Mt. Bur Omisace (first major story in hours) > Stillshrine of Miriam

Next:

- Dalmasca Estersand > Mosphoran Highwaste > Salikawood > Phon Coast > Tchita Uplands > Sochen Palace Cave > Archades (finally some meaty story when you reach here)

I love the game, but this long stretch in the middle of the game is extremely dull, I actually gave up back in 2006 at Phon Coast as I was just bored of slogging through large areas rarely changing equips or gambits as it isn't necessary, the game is too easy - then there is little story to drive you on. I actually think the overall story is good, but the pacing in this game borders on awful at times.