Dave

Oct 26, 2017
I need to know, I just don't get it. See more and more people saying they're digital only, how? How can people afford it? New games on PSN are £60 here and you can pick most if not all of them up at least £10-15 minimum cheaper on launch day.

So, why did you go digital? And does the pricing not bother you?

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Some people just don't resell their games and like to have the convenience digital offers, it's not that hard to understand?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are immensely lazy and think the "convenience" of downloading instead of going outside and traveling a few miles to a store is worth paying so much extra.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
The problems you mention is mostly a console phenomenon. Everything is cheaper and insanely fast to download on steam.

Haven't had a physical game in 10+ years and there's little to no reason to miss it.

Tracker_TD

Oct 25, 2017
Convenience, or when I'm able to get a decent deal on them regardless. For example I'm going digital for Smash Bros Ultimate because I don't mind paying the £6 extra Amazon are asking for it over physical for the handiness of always having it on me.
The deal part more relates to just waiting for a price drop though. Or knowing where to look online for better DL code deals (I mean, even Amazon does that sometimes as I just pointed out)

People are immensely lazy and think the "convenience" of downloading instead of going outside and traveling a few miles to a store is worth paying so much extra.

It's not the convenience of not going out to buy it (Amazon deliver everything anyway), it's not having to lug about a bunch of relatively easily lost cartridges if I'm taking my Switch out.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Convenience (not having to bring carts or discs everywhere or having to change them out), and because since indies became a thing I've hated having some physical games and some digital.

I went all digital with the Switch because of those reasons. Don't regret it at all.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I mean financially bad isn't what I would say it's just more convenient to have my games auto update and install without me needing to be there or to wait in a line to buy it.

Kamion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Because it's convenient, especially for multiplayer games (I'm mostly not playing Splatoon because I'm too lazy to switch cartridges for two matches). It's also good for importing games and stuff.

But yeah most of the time you'll find a better physical deal.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to get digital games only when they're on sale. Very rarely do I buy a game digitally, for full price, on or near launch (Although I have bought two games digitally recently for full price. Regrets were had for one of them).

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So, why did you go digital? And does the pricing not bother you?

1. Lack of alternative on PC. I can't remember the last time I've seen a physical PC game in stores.
2. I very rarely buy digital games at full price. Flash sales happen all the time and that's when I purchase most of my games.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I buy 90% of my games on sales, and I never sold a used game in my life anyway.

In my country Nintendo digital games are WAY cheaper than physical, because it's imported

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
It's convenient, I have really come to hate all the wasteful extra bits taking up physical space, suits my lifestyle better. Generally it's more expensive, but my wages are fine and it's my only really indulgent hobby.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
In my case it's because I share my games with my brother, so buying digital allows us to have 2 copies of the game and play online

Deleted member 2102

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's convenient. I measure value differently. Physical prints have less value to me now that so many are basically just DRM discs that don't even contain complete or patched versions of games. I move every couple/few years, so the fewer plastic cases lying aroudn the better. Physical prints, with some exception, rarely go up in value anymore. Digital ecosystems tend to have automatic rewards programs that grant more future discounts. Digital sales that match or are cheaper than physical aren't uncommon. It's rare that I pick up a game on launch day. Some games I buy physically, some digitally depending on cost and personal value.

Not necessarily directed at OP, but I don't understand why this conversation can't happen without a layer of condescension and hostility. If you're so hot and bothered about other people's purchasing habits, that's a personality flaw that you probably shouldn't be projecting to the world.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I don't plan on reselling games and I'm not constrained by costs. That and I really don't have a choice on PC and for console games I'd actually have to drive to guarantee I'd get them when I want and not have to wait on delivery. On PC you also have the convenience of digital games costing less. Right now you can get DMC5 and RE5 for PC for about 81 bucks.

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I cba getting up and changing discs. Especially on the Switch because dealing with the cartridges is so fiddly with my big hands.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some people just don't resell their games and like to have the convenience digital offers, it's not that hard to understand?

Yeah, I only buy physical games that I know I'll want to play again down the road. Games I know I'll play once and be done are always the games I buy way cheap. I don't trade games in very often.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Convenience and the prices are similar if you're not buying the game release day.

I generally buy physical (at release) because it is cheaper for me, but with GCU ending I can see myself going digital much more often.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
I buy digital on Xbox One because i essentially get the use of two copies for the price of one; one for me and one for the person i'm game sharing with via Home Console swap

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember going to Toys R Us to get that hot new game, perusing row after row to find its box art, only to discover that every goddamn slip of paper to purchase it was gone?

Tears of rage.

Digital prevents that.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I just think it's stupid digital costs the same or sometimes more than physical, since the publishers don't spend money on printing discs, packaging and delivery. It should be cheaper, but there's a lot of people out there who don't think about and don't mind wasting their money away.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I don't resale, go back to older games and i get allot of games not at full price. I legit have no need for physical. I save that physical space for my 4k movie collection.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
It's frustrating that digital prices often take a long while to match the average physical price, but the main financial aspect that keeps me (mostly) physical is the ability to sell games once I'm finished. It's an expensive damn hobby and I wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Convenience
Digital Sales
Game Pass
Keep the game indefinitely
Easy access to the game
Preloading

Also I rarely buy games on day 1.
Another good reason is the updates you get later. Darksiders 2 got an X enhanced patch, the fact I didn't sell it means I can now go back and replay it.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Digital Steam titles are way more affordable than the typical physicals and I'm talking about for brand new games as well.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't buy at launch, buy on smaller sites... save lots of $$$ and don't have all that plastic trash in your home.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Internet Sharing. Licenses working across devices (PC to Console Licenses like XPA). Future possibility for streaming my game collection to any device with a screen. Not having to go to the store which can be an hour easily with the traffic in my area or waiting for a delivery. Not having to drag a game collection around anywhere. And well, not switching discs.

And like many, I don't buy games at launch anymore. Lately I have just been using services like Xbox Game Pass and Origin Access and then buying games on sale super cheap.

Still think console digital prices are way too high though.

Tbh, I don't buy any physical media anymore. Been that way for a long time. Can't wait for AR to get put into normal glasses so I can have less physical goods. Decorate my house with digital objects.

Last edited:

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's different in the UK, but games don't always cost more digitally than they do physical at launch. Sometimes they're the same, and the only way physical is cheaper is if you plan to sell it back later on. But the up front purchase costs is the same.

Also:

1) people may have points cards/rewards bonuses for digital games
2) people don't necessarily buy every game day 1 anyway, so they can wait for a digital sale which are increasingly more common
3) even for people that buy games day 1, they don't necessarily need to buy every single game that comes out. So one $60 digital purchase is perfectly within their budget since they don't feel the need to own every single AAA game that comes out.
4) people may prefer the convenience of buying something and downloading it immediately and not needing to constantly change discs to play different games (edit: as mentioned above, some do for license sharing as well), and don't mind if they end up paying a bit more for it.

Why do people go out to restaurants instead of cooking every single day? It's almost as if people have different priorities with their money, and can often afford it just fine and just do whatever fits their needs. These seem like fairly obvious points!

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can play 5 games on the same evening (mostly 1 or 2 SP and the rest MP) so yeah don't want to change discs lol. I might even decide to play something else when reaching the menu.

Buying US PS4 games is like 55 instead of 69 euro too.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
Convenience and I usually don't buy games at launch (outside of a few exceptions).

I bought a couple of "physical" games during Black Friday and I caught myself wishing they were digital as I had to move my fat ass off the couch to swap discs.

Oct 27, 2017
Sales. Digital sales offer at times incredibly nice discounts, sometimes before physical gets that low.

This is also pretty true. There isn't much of a logical reason to buy at launch when games are getting discounted so quickly these days.

Unless I'm missing something I'm pretty sure the launch window is when games turn the most profit.

If you skip a title at launch, and everyone else decides to skip it at launch, you may not see that title again because it's communicating something very clearly to Publishers whether that's the intention or not.