• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
I don't see many people talk about this, and i think we should...

Black-Ops-4-su-Nintendo-Switch-768x432.jpg

Call of Duty is one of the biggest brand ever in the videogame industry, it's been the best selling game for multiple years, but we all know that.

I think many of you also know that for a long time, ActiVision consistently supported Nintendo with this series. The Wii got:

Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty 4: Modern warfare
Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Modern Wafare 3

Some of those version were really successfull too, for example World at war sold over 1 million units only in the USA according to NPD.

Then comes the Wii U era, and we got Call of Duty: Black Ops II and Call of Duty: Ghost. It's useless to say those games sold horrible, and i don't think we even need to explain why.

Since Advanced warfare, we never got a CoD on Nintendo, which was totally understandable until the release of the Switch.

Switch is a success, one of the faster seller console ever. Not only hardware units and first party games are selling incredible well, but also many third party games sold well on the system. Of course indie games are having a big success but in this case we talk about AAA games, such as Skyrim, DOOM, The Witcher 3, Dragon Ball FighterZ, FIFA, all showed very good performance on the system, why we STILL have not even a single game on Switch!?

I could understand if they didn't feel to port Call of Duty: World at War 2, it was 2017, the system was new and they didn't know if Switch was gonna success, but outside of that it honestly blow my mind how they didn't even TRY to port Black Ops IIII or Modern Warfare, even AFTER seeing how successfull others third party AAA are!

What is the reason? Power? There is no way that's the problem i mean, outside of the fact that The Witcher 3 run on Switch, just look at what they did to port Black Ops or any other COD on the Wii:

maxresdefault.jpg

For real, to me ActiVision is missing a big opportunity here. Call of Duty on a PORTABLE system? Well that's tecnically happen before, but it's a COMPLETELY different story, you know what i mean, and the fact that they are not even trying to port a big game like COD on a fanbase that ALREADY showed interest for the series back in the Wii days to me is just incredible.

Last edited:

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I remember it was rumored to get one like a year or two ago, it never happened. Personally, I don't understand it.

If they could polish Call of Duty Mobile more and port it to the Switch I think it would do great but it hasn't happened.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
OP I genuinely thought 2018 was gonna be the year, and it didn't happen. If next year's COD doesn't hit when Switch's install base could be close to 70m, it's never happening.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember it being rumored a while ago, but nothing happened with it. Maybe it'll never happen.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Activision probably just doesn't think they can make enough money off the Switch audience to justify the costs. It's not supernatural.

Nitori

Oct 29, 2017
COD games now require way too much space to make porting them down to the Switch possible. The developers would have to make significant changes to the games to make them playable.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
OP I genuinely thought 2018 was gonna be the year, and it didn't happen. If next year's COD doesn't hit when Switch's install base could be close to 70m, it's never happening.

It's not going to happen, next year the next round of consoles is coming out and that's even farther away from the switch capabilities. And I am pretty sure that ActiVision will target next gen.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The latest CODs do nothing but eat up your storage with updates for shits and giggles.

Keep it on stationary consoles.

edit: Dang, Nitori up above pretty much beat me to it lol. Y'all don't want current gen COD games on Switch, I promise you.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Someone keeps making these exact threads every now and then. Pretty much it's not worth it to them to port a game to it. The current ones barely run on ps4 and Xbox they would have to port something from 360/ps3 and it doesn't seem worth it to them as they would also have to keep the servers up and provide post game content.

COD games barely hit their deadlines/release windows it's best for them to have all hands on whatever the next one is.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's dumb. Aside from the fact that port begging is really only a disturbance for shitting up threads with off topic discussion, and thus not really a problem to a thread dedicated to it, talking about one of the biggest franchises in the world on one of the most successful platforms in the world is hardly begging, it's discussing industry trends.

But it does invite more threads to be made for each game that isn't on Switch which could be a pain for the MODs. If your general stance is every game should be on Switch I can understand making that thread but single game threads coming across like port begging.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Maybe if enough Era threads are made about the topic, Bobby Kotick will finally notice the small indie platform known as the Nintendo Switch, an unknown platform that they definitely have never thought about bringing one of the biggest franchises on the planet to. They almost have certainly done zero analysis on if CoD could run on it and/or how much work they'd have to put in to make it run acceptably and they've certainly done zero market analysis if a CoD for Switch would sell since small indie company Activision can't afford market research

Maybe instead of telling Activision why they're doing the one thing they're good at (creating profit) wrong, work backwards and figure out why it isn't on Switch.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Activision probably just doesn't think they can make enough money off the Switch audience to justify the costs. It's not supernatural.
That's most certainly NOT the reason considering the popularity of the system and the software sales
Wait that's a thing? I... well to any mod watching this i'm genuine sorry didn't knew about it.
You shouldn't be. Your question makes sense.
A popular, successful and very open platform not getting a popular game does, not make sense.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I feel like there's a decent amount of crossover between Switch and PS4/XBO owners and most folks interested in CoD would just rather play it on the latter platforms instead.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Wait that's a thing? I... well to any mod watching this i'm genuine sorry didn't knew about it.
Don't be sorry. It's an incredibly stupid rule that can't be contested directly and you have people give in, fall in line and report this shit, even when it's a quality post with productive discourse and actual logical arguments. The mods told me to go to the "contact us" section to contest. Can you believe that. No direct contesting and no forum dedicated for this. Lol

Anyway. How large are current gen cod games? I think the the size of the games are big issue. 64GB carts with double vertical density are coming out next year, but they might need to drop in price still. I only know 3 games that use 32 GB carts and they are significantly more expensive than the discs that are used on xbone and PS4.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryng™

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Maybe if enough Era threads are made about the topic, Bobby Kotick will finally notice the small indie platform known as the Nintendo Switch, an unknown platform that they definitely have never thought about bringing one of the biggest franchises on the planet to. They almost have certainly done zero analysis on if CoD could run on it and/or how much work they'd have to put in to make it run acceptably and they've certainly done zero market analysis if a CoD for Switch would sell since small indie company Activision can't afford market research

Maybe instead of telling Activision why they're doing the one thing they're good at (creating profit) wrong, work backwards and figure out why it isn't on Switch.

giphy.gif

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How large are current gen cod games?

Base game download is 60GB, and there have probably been about 90GB* worth of patches by now. On PC I'm sitting at 146GB, consoles seem to be quite a bit smaller.

Also taken from the Activision blog for MW release specs/storage requirements:

Note! In each of the Specs, the HDD references HD space of 175GB. 175GB is the storage space we recommend players keep available in order to download the post-launch content we'll be bringing to Modern Warfare. At launch, the initial download will be smaller.

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BLOPS3 is like 85GB or so and I don't even have all the maps.

Do you really want a game even half that for Switch?

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Someone keeps making these exact threads every now and then. Pretty much it's not worth it to them to port a game to it. The current ones barely run on ps4 and Xbox they would have to port something from 360/ps3 and it doesn't seem worth it to them as they would also have to keep the servers up and provide post game content.

COD games barely hit their deadlines/release windows it's best for them to have all hands on whatever the next one is.
They could release the 360/PS3 ports or cod mobile, which I mentioned in the past. Even a enhanced version of cod4, whether based on cod4 on 360 or PS4, could sell. They don't know unless they try. Its not hard to sell a million on switch in a year like the Wii cod days.

I tweeted him last week. Anyone that supports cod on Switch should tweet him, and Activision.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Base game download is 60GB, and there have probably been about 90GB* worth of patches by now. On PC I'm sitting at 146GB, consoles seem to be quite a bit smaller.

Also taken from the Activision blog for MW release specs/storage requirements:
This is probably it and the only thing I can think of. Cod is certainly possible on the switch, even if the framerate gets cut in half to 30. I mean we got cod on Wii, ports of games based on consoles more than 10x more powerful.

I'm sure they can compress the game. Even half the size. Hopefully 3rd party use 32GB and 64 GB carts next year. Maybe Nintendo needs to set an example and eat up the prices... But even then, cod mobile and last gen ports could easily be ported and likely at 60fps without storage being an issue

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018

This post is excellent and you should be proud of yourself.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
This.
There isnt a big audience for shooters on the platform.
I disagree. Fortnite, Splatoon, and Overwatch says otherwise. Doom also. But cod is the most popular franchise for Activision, and the franchise sold a million copies on Wii on average. Not to mention switch already has 3x the install base of Switch.

Finally, the switch lacks first party shooters. There isn't much competition in that field. Especially military shooters. So it is actually a good time to release them now (if I was Activision). Fact is, Activision would never know if they don't try and they could easily port an enhanced last gen game or cod mobile. Cod mobile is the safest bet since since it's free to play.

Oct 30, 2017
The idea of COD On Switch sounds pretty mediocre to me.

-Lower resolution
-Potentially low frame rate
-Joycon aiming is poor
-Switch online is just poor in comparison

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't be sorry. It's an incredibly stupid rule that can't be contested directly and you have people give in, fall in line and report this shit, even when it's a quality post with productive discourse and actual logical arguments. The mods told me to go to the "contact us" section to contest. Can you believe that. No direct contesting and no forum dedicated for this. Lol
It's a good rule, you'll be okay.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I disagree. Fortnite, Splatoon, and Overwatch says otherwise. Doom also. But cod is the most popular franchise for Activision, and the franchise sold a million copies on Wii on average. Not to mention switch already has 3x the install base of Switch.

Finally, the switch lacks first party shooters. There isn't much competition in that field. Especially military shooters. So it is actually a good time to release them now (if I was Activision). Fact is, Activision would never know if they don't try and they could easily port an enhanced last gen game or cod mobile. Cod mobile is the safest bet since since it's free to play.
You don't think the bolded is odd considering all the software on the platform? And you only listed 4 games...
Come on, Wii surely didn't had the biggest FPS fanbase, yet you see some COD selling in the 1.5-2 million range worldwide. And third party are finding better success on Switch compared to Wii...
What ur saying might be true but I dont see a lot of FPS games on the platform. And I haven't seen any statements from publishers talking about success on the platform. I doubt publishers would pass up an opportunity put software on the platform if there's money to be made... and yet here we are. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Probably it would get the mobile port at some point, it already has controller support, gyro support, runs fast on mobile hardware and focus on the multiplayer side only is suitable for portable play

Jan 9, 2018
Is Activision releasing anything notable on Switch? the only think I can think of is Spyro and that was like one year later. Seems like they do not have any switch team and they are not interested on it for some reason. I also think an CoD mobile on switch would be neat. I don't think there is any good military shooter on the Switch yet, isn't?