Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Ralph 2 is meh..

Frozen 2 is... ridiculously bad. I can't believe Disney gave that the go ahead. That was one of those Disney straight to video garbage sequels.

I don't like Frozen 2, but it doesn't completely destroy its characters (except Kristoff. Such a wuss). Both Ralph and Vanellopie were total, selfish assholes.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else watch OP's video? It goes right into how Disney is "pandering" and has "sudo-wokeness". Do I hear a dog whistle?

NexusCell

Nov 2, 2017
Did anyone else watch OP's video? It goes right into how Disney is "pandering" and has "sudo-wokeness". Do I hear a dog whistle?
Looking at how much they tout their (easily removed) gay scenes, it fits Disney to the letter. It's actually a pretty common trend and criticism of Disney made by a lot of people in the left wing space. See Lindsey Ellis's video, Woke Disney.
www.youtube.com

Woke Disney

So glad they finally made Jasmine a #girlboss.https://www.audible.com/lindsayellis or text lindsayellis to 500500 Business Insider article on the issue with ...

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Having the movie centred around the Internet made it feel dated by default.

With that being said, the climax of the movie had a really smart metaphor.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thought the first one was trash too.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
can't wait for his Bolt (2004) 3 hour take down

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
It's actually one of the more enjoyable Disney movies for me because it explains toxic friendship in a way that I can actually have a conversation with my children about. It's very pertinent to our times with all the machinations of the current internet so it won't age well in terms of references, but I'll still re-watch it ever couple years to dive deeper into the story.

Oct 26, 2017
I won't bother watching because I've already spent enough of my life on the movie, but I felt that the major difference, for me, was that the original celebrated an underdog culture, of early entrepreneurs, of Midway and Atari and Nintendo, and, you know, Donkey Kong(ish) and Q-Bert and Tapper.

Ralph 2 celebrated Ebay, and Google, and Facebook, and Youtube(ish). And obviously Disney themselves. Yay for the corporate overlords! Their mascots are such a joy to see come alive on the screen, oh wait. No, that only worked in the Disney segment and only because we're all nice little consumers.

Oct 27, 2017

Disney is a powerful international corporation that seems scared of actual progressive depictions at the risk of alienating their bottom line, so calling what they do pandering and pseudo-wokeness seems appropriate honestly.

"Check our our progressive gay romance!" is in reality two male characters dancing together for like 8 seconds in the corner of the frame. They're full of shit.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I won't bother watching because I've already spent enough of my life on the movie, but I felt that the major difference, for me, was that the original celebrated an underdog culture, of early entrepreneurs, of Midway and Atari and Nintendo, and, you know, Donkey Kong(ish) and Q-Bert and Tapper.

Ralph 2 celebrated Ebay, and Google, and Facebook, and Youtube(ish). And obviously Disney themselves. Yay for the corporate overlords! Their mascots are such a joy to see come alive on the screen, oh wait. No, that only worked in the Disney segment and only because we're all nice little consumers.
I agree with this completely. Maybe if they focused on like the early internet, they could've maybe captured the same spirit. However, applying these characters which are characters in arcade games to any internet setting always seemed like a stupid idea.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Yep. And the whole Oh My Disney scene reeked of "look how much stuff you like we own."

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Disney is a powerful international corporation that seems scared of actual progressive depictions at the risk of alienating their bottom line, so calling what they do pandering and pseudo-wokeness seems appropriate honestly.

"Check our our progressive gay romance!" is in reality two male characters dancing together for like 8 seconds in the corner of the frame. They're full of shit.

specter.jpg

This character personifies everything wrong with Disney.

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with this completely. Maybe if they focused on like the early internet, they could've maybe captured the same spirit. However, applying these characters which are characters in arcade games to any internet setting always seemed like a stupid idea.

There was a tiny bit of this with the "discarded dark reaches of the internet" sequence which was another high point. But it's not like Mosaic or Netscape or Altavista were super interesting, inspiring entities either.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I'm glad this dude touched on the ridiculousness of Ralph's behavior and how annoying it was that the film was trying to make you feel sorry for him, because I had that complaint right out of the gate.
Ralph never had a genuine friend until Vanellope and the fact she was drifting away scared him. It was pretty reasonable in my opinion.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
specter.jpg

This character personifies everything wrong with Disney.

Serious question, what's wrong with this character? I had to reverse image search because I am not familiar with the character. The results were Christian news sites complaining about "indoctrination." :-|

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I liked it. Not as much as the first one, but still in the positive category for me. The princess stuff was great, the anti-princess song was amusing, and I'm always down for a "not-zombie but basically is zombie" apocalypse.

Oct 26, 2017
Ralph never had a genuine friend until Vanellope and the fact she was drifting away scared him. It was pretty reasonable in my opinion.
If anything, it was kind of refreshing watching a Disney film where characters weren't perfect angels with surface-level flaws inserted to make them feel deep. Ralph is truly flawed. He's a selfish and insecure person afraid of losing his first and best friend. While the movie as a whole is weak, I really enjoyed the ending. This final moment pulled at my heartstrings:

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I dont know if you need 40 minutes to say Ralph acts like a creepy possessive asshole on some Buffallo Bill shit and it's not called out

And product placement bad.

He definitely takes his insecurity a bit too far, though if you think on it it's a reflection on how his issues from the first film can't be merely solved by him finally making a friend. He's got a lot of shit to unpack.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Disney Princess segments were the only good thing about the movie. They need a real spin off movie or series.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's like homeboy said in the video: It made sense for Ralph to become an older caregiver kind of dude to the first person who cared about him, especially as he was in the midst of figuring out his place in a hero/villain dichotomy. But in the sequel, his clinginess is both underdeveloped from his personality in the first and legitimately creepy considering he's a grown-ass man.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ralph 2 sucked asss

But the title reminded me of that guy that called The Last Jedi a COMPLETE CINEMATIC FAILURE
I 100 percent thought someone made a thread and linked that idiot's channel. The original creator showed up here and created a thread, that shit was something else.

It's got the same toxic title

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I thought it was marginally better than that emoji movie (yes, I saw it, so what).
But I'm not watching a 40mins review of a movie I didn't really care for.
Didn't particularly like the first either, but it's not a Disney thing; I loved both Zootopia and Moana.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree with the video in general. With how successful TLK remake and this film were it's a bit of a bummer honestly. It's not the end of the world that a Wreck-it-Ralph sequel was mediocre but it does feel like Disney are too big to fail. To be fair TLK was more egregious in this way, that was just atrocious and it made all of the money predictably. But as a big video game fan I would really have preferred they leaned more into that than what we got. The Kingdom Hearts analogy was a good one too.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It gave me cute and awesome scenes with the princesses, even in PJ's. It was cute, I liked it.

That's by far the best part of the movie. In fact it's probably the only good part of the movie alongside the player characters in the post-apocalyptic shooter being super wooden and turning in place like... well, like characters in an MMO.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
It's like homeboy said in the video: It made sense for Ralph to become an older caregiver kind of dude to the first person who cared about him, especially as he was in the midst of figuring out his place in a hero/villain dichotomy. But in the sequel, his clinginess is both underdeveloped from his personality in the first and legitimately creepy considering he's a grown-ass man.
Technically these are characters that never age? Vanellope is only a child because in her game all the characters are children. Ralph is impulsive is In the first and second movie.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Wreck it Ralph is probably one of my favourite animated movies, absolutely hated the second one.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Are you sure she's not a 1000 year old dragon?

Antoo

May 1, 2019
So we should give kids movies a pass because of their target demographic? I'm not saying this isn't hyperbole but you and I both know quality kids movies exist.
Movie is deeper than 99% of the stuff put out for kids though. It has a message no other kids movie has and is fun and entertaining on top of that.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Serious question, what's wrong with this character? I had to reverse image search because I am not familiar with the character. The results were Christian news sites complaining about "indoctrination." :-|

Disney had the audacity to announce her existence and her sexuality before the movie even came out only for her to be an 8 seconds cameo that was conveniently cut from some international releases. It's lazy pandering at best.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Wreck it Ralph is amazing I really love that movie, then you have Ralph Breaks The Internet and it's a fucking dumpster fire that is all kinds of horrible.

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I adore the first movie, but this one was a slog to get through. It felt very dated even on release.

Can we also talk about how awful Gal Gadot is here? She sticks out like a celebrity guest voice on The Simpsons.

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
The fact that they never went through with that sequel starring Mario and instead switching to "Oh look, MEMES!" will forever piss me off.

Ah, what could have been....:(

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
I thought this was a bad movie and a waste of my time, but "cinematic disaster" is a bit hyperbolic. Maybe the film nerds who complain that YouTube analyses are killing cinema are right.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Sorry, but you really weren't paying attention if you thought the movie didn't feel like a video game. Wreck-it Ralph is the only Hollywood movie that actually understands how video games work. So many tropes that are essential to the plot are things I'd never thought I'd see on-screen. In particular, its handling of cut content and glitches that enhance the enjoyment of video games was masterful.

So much fucking better than just shoving in a bunch of video game references across the whole movie. Compare it to how, say, Ready Player One handles video games, and there's just such a massive gulf between the movies' understanding of the medium. Ready Player One's titular video game isn't the least bit plausible, while Sugar Rush could easily have been a decent Mario Kart clone in real-life.
Inside pool like that really makes me really pine for a Reboot, uh, reboot.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Disney had the audacity to announce her existence and her sexuality before the movie even came out only for her to be an 8 seconds cameo that was conveniently cut from some international releases. It's lazy pandering at best.

I understand why people think this now. Thanks for explaining.