TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
TLDR: Youtube Reveiwer, Schaffrillas Productions takes a look at Ralph Breaks the Internet and analyses why he feels it's not a very good movie as well as it's problems being connected to Disney's flaws in the last 5 years.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'll watch the 40 min video soon, but I will at least preface by saying I've rarely been so bored by an animated film in the past few years as I have with this movie. I remember a thread here there were people talking about how insightful it was for touching on the idea of change and growing apart even though that's literally been the thesis of the entire Toy Story franchise in one way or another. The lesson taught in this movie was literally the lesson from the original Toy Story

Oct 25, 2017
It's easily the worst WDAS movie in the past decade, unless people have been lying to me about Frozen II being good. Just a mess.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I like it more than the first's laser focus on the weird candy land that felt less like a video game and more like the board game.

Oct 26, 2017
I've having to skip around these first few minutes, but I'm already not digging this. So far, it's a lot of the same old critiques against Disney. And him calling out Disney's "pandering wokeness" while showing Jasmine in the new Aladdin is funny to me. Out of all the examples, he chose to show a character who was vastly superior to her animated counterpart.

Ralph Breaks the Internet was a huge step down from the first Wreck it Ralph, but claiming unoriginal is going to be a tough pill for me to swallow when the theme at the core of the movie is pretty mature and well-done.

It's easily the worst WDAS movie in the past decade, unless people have been lying to me about Frozen II being good. Just a mess.
I just watched Frozen II with my family a few days ago, and it wasn't bad. It simply felt unnecessary. You know everything that's going to happen from Act 1-beginning of Act 2, and the plot is just okay. But Kristoff's song in Frozen II is so good it makes up for the whole thing.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
It gave me cute and awesome scenes with the princesses, even in PJ's. It was cute, I liked it.

Those moments were better than the movie as a whole though, that's for sure.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I dont know if you need 40 minutes to say Ralph acts like a creepy possessive asshole on some Buffallo Bill shit and it's not called out

And product placement bad.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For all the hate the movie got, I was expecting to hate it, but I thought it was pretty good tbh

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Eh, I like it more than the first's laser focus on the weird candy land that felt less like a video game and more like the board game.

Sorry, but you really weren't paying attention if you thought the movie didn't feel like a video game. Wreck-it Ralph is the only Hollywood movie that actually understands how video games work. So many tropes that are essential to the plot are things I'd never thought I'd see on-screen. In particular, its handling of cut content and glitches that enhance the enjoyment of video games was masterful.

So much fucking better than just shoving in a bunch of video game references across the whole movie. Compare it to how, say, Ready Player One handles video games, and there's just such a massive gulf between the movies' understanding of the medium. Ready Player One's titular video game isn't the least bit plausible, while Sugar Rush could easily have been a decent Mario Kart clone in real-life.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
it should have been wrecks the internet

im not wrong
I feel like the greater sin was they had an influencer character named "Yesss" instead of "Yasss." Way to keep your finger on the pulse of the youths, Disney.

That being said I didn't think it was that bad, but definitely a step down from the original.

Sorry, but you really weren't paying attention if you thought the movie didn't feel like a video game. Wreck-it Ralph is the only Hollywood movie that actually understands how video games work. So many tropes that are essential to the plot are things I'd never thought I'd see onscreen. In particular, it[s handling of cut content and glitches that enhance the enjoyment of video games was masterful. So much fucking better than just shoving in a bunch of video game references across the whole movie.
Yup this stuff was awesome. Even when they showed the racing game it felt like it could easily be a real game. (Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed came out around the same time and I got similar vibes, ironically that game also featured Ralph as a guest character)

The "teehee internet" jokes from the sequel felt a lot more surface-level, like the direction Hollywood usually goes with video game movies, as you pointed out.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I liked it a lot, went in not that super excited for it but ended up enjoying it much more than some of the more 'hyped' Disney movies. Enjoyed it more than the original also. Found the humour pretty good!

<3 the Princesses, just wish they did more/had their own team up movie.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
For all the hate the movie got, I was expecting to hate it, but I thought it was pretty good tbh

Man I honeslty don't fucking understand it lol I thought it was a better movie than the first.

I saw them back to back only last year. I was a disappointed in what I heard about the sequel in how it shifted away form videogames. Then when I finally wacthed the first one I was disappointed in the whole video game element and how most of it ended up taking place in candy racer land or whatever.

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't call it a cinematic disaster but it's not good. The original is very good and I was super hyped to see this one and outside of a few parts, I was super let down. I would agree it's at the bottom of Disney's recent animated movies starting from Tangled though.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I'm out. Him calling Ralph selfish for making Vanellope a new track to race on during daytime is shit. In the 30ish minutes I'm sure he makes a valid point or two, but I'm not wasting that long to find out. He needs to cut the rambling bloat out of his videos and do some honest-to-god critiquing. "I didn't like how this character acted" isn't that compelling, even when trying to convince me it goes against what Ralph learned from part 1....which i disagree with.

And again. I didn't like the movie much, and thought it was a big step down from part 1.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't for the strong relationship between Ralph and Venelope I would agree, but the mature messaging elevates the film (for me).

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man I honeslty don't fucking understand it lol I thought it was a better movie than the first.

I saw them back to back only last year. I was a disappointed in what I heard about the sequel in how it shifted away form videogames. Then when I finally wacthed the first one I was disappointed in the whole vidoe game element and how most of it ended up taking place in candy racer land or whatever.

The first one was better imo

Either way, I'm really over blatant hyperbole like calling the sequel a cinematic disaster lol

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the video yet but the Ralph sequel was fine. I've seen much worse animated films, but I also wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It filled two hours of my life I probably would have wasted anyway.

Disney should just stop making animated sequels tbh lol

For most of its existence, Disney had a policy that all animated sequels would go straight to video (see: the Aladdin and Lion King sequels). Toy Story 2 was the first animated sequel to receive a theatrical release and there must be dozens since that debuted in 1999.

Just looked up how many animated sequels have hit theaters since 1999:

1. Fantasia 2000
  2. The Tigger Movie
  3. Return to Never Land
  4. The Jungle Book 2
  5. Piglet's Big Movie
  6. Pooh's Heffalump Movie
  7. Toy Story 3
  8. Cars 2
  9. Winnie the Pooh
  10. Monsters University
  11. Planes (Spin-off to Cars)
  12. Planes: Fire & Rescue
  13. Finding Dory
  14. Cars 3
  15. Incredible 2
  16. Ralph Breaks the Internet
  17. Toy Story 4
  18. Frozen II
So I overestimated a bit with "dozens"

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
My friend's four-year-old absolutely adores this particular Disney movie so I'll trust that little dude's critique over a 40-minute analysis and say it's a good movie.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
For most of its existence, Disney had a policy that all animated sequels would go straight to video (see: the Aladdin and Lion King sequels). Toy Story 2 was the first animated sequel to receive a theatrical release and there must be dozens since that debuted in 1999.
Fun fact, Toy Story 2 was meant to be direct-to-video as well. Pixar being Pixar overachieved and Disney declared the early work on the movie was theatrical quality, so they upgraded it.

Created a tiff between the two where Disney and Pixar had a five-movie contract after the first Toy Story. Pixar counted Toy Story 2 as one of the movies and assumed their contract was fulfilled after The Incredibles, but Disney tried to say it didn't count because TS2 was commissioned as a straight-to-video project. Disney won out and Cars was produced under that same contract, but it nearly caused Pixar to dip out and go independent until the Disney merger.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the video yet but the Ralph sequel was fine. I've seen much worse animated films, but I also wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It filled two hours of my life I probably would have wasted anyway.

Rescuers Down Under would like to have a talk with you.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
That title is obnoxious hyperbole, but yeah, the movie is pretty awful

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Close, but you forgot Rescuers Down Under. Don't worry - it's a forgettable movie.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I remember really enjoying the first movie, and then I turned this on on a whim at my parents house one day, and ended up turning it off 30 minutes later. I'm not sure I hated it, but it was just boring and the product placement got on my nerves

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Such a shame, I was so hopeful the film would be good in the lead-up to its release.

Even taking out the pop culture references via the internet, the story and script just weren't very good. Kinda wish they hadn't bothered with a sequel at all, honestly.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
The first 20 seconds of the video just made me turn it off, you use a hyperbole in the title and make fun of people criticizing it is a bad start to a video

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I very rarely turn movies off in the middle. This is the only movie in recent memory where I have done so. Just utterly boring and lacking any and all charm that was in the original, which I loved. What a waste of a premise.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I felt it was uneven and had trouble smoothly synthesizing the plot and the story at times, but it wasn't bad. A step below the Disney movies that proceeded it, sure. But certainly not deserving the description "cinematic disaster."

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ralph 2 sucked asss

But the title reminded me of that guy that called The Last Jedi a COMPLETE CINEMATIC FAILURE

I'm pretty sure it's the same guy because it fits how he titles his videos and I know he was very critical of TLJ before TROS released which lead him to revisit the movie and be less critical about it, but apparently the video doesn't exist anymore (or never did? idk)

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I'm still waiting for my Sugar Rush videogame!
I would totally buy it.

I boycotted the 2nd movie because they moved away from video games. I'm so tired of internet related memes in movies.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017

Just looked up how many animated sequels have hit theaters since 1999:

1. Fantasia 2000
  2. The Tigger Movie
  3. Return to Never Land
  4. The Jungle Book 2
  5. Piglet's Big Movie
  6. Pooh's Heffalump Movie
  7. Toy Story 3
  8. Cars 2
  9. Winnie the Pooh
  10. Monsters University
  11. Planes (Spin-off to Cars)
  12. Planes: Fire & Rescue
  13. Finding Dory
  14. Cars 3
  15. Incredible 2
  16. Ralph Breaks the Internet
  17. Toy Story 4
  18. Frozen II
So I overestimated a bit with "dozens"

How the fuck did Cars get two sequels

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I'm pretty sure it's the same guy because it fits how he titles his videos and I know he was very critical of TLJ before TROS released which lead him to revisit the movie and be less critical about it, but apparently the video doesn't exist anymore (or never did? idk)
Oh that video existed all right

It never left my recommended feed