• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Talking about Humble Monthly and Twitch Prime, there's so much value and YOU KEEP THE GAMES a thing that is not possible on PS+ and Xbox Gold, on top of that the multiplayer is free.

Even Origin Access is a worthy sus, 30 bucks/year and at least on PC there are a LOT of games to play, from both EA and third party studios like Warner Bros and Focus games.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Because they're more expensive.
But also because there's no online paywall or renting games.

So it means they have to justify the value you put in these these bundles and such, as opposed to Sony and Microsoft who just sit there and collect the money to let you use a service they dont host or play these "free" games they "gave" you.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Because that's not what people buy Gold and PS+ for.

What do people buy Gold and PS+ for?

EDIT: Rhetorical question answered. It's because of artificially gated online multiplay. Stale years old games are the bone Sony/MS drop on you to make the sting a little less insulting.

This is the difference between closed and open computing platforms. In one you have no choice but to pay up, for online, for repairs, for whatever it is they can make you overpay for. In the other, enthusiasts and competing vendors ensures no one can monopolize the market and force you to pay out the ear for something that should be free.

And since someone went there last time I talked about this, this isn't some libertarian manifesto. Computing platforms are not governments.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait a second, you keep the 360 games on gold? like, I cancel the suscription and keep it forever?

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
The thing with the PC market is companies are competing against an almost completely hardcore market & easier piracy. Consoles are mad up of majority casual players, and piracy is almost non-existent. The walled-garden approach works there because it's easier to get things across as "better for the players" or "needed to support the infrastructure" (PS+/XBL). I'm not defending these things at all, online should be free totally. As for the games provided in subscription. You again have to look at PC game discount sales vs console. You need much more incentive on PC. Especially when trying to pry people away from huge timesinks like DOTA, LoL, & MMOs.

That's just my take on it.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Xbox and PS4 do have something that PC doesn't. Leverage.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just started subscribing to Humble Monthly and it's been great, it's a really insane value.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been saying this for a while.

Origin access is also far superior to EA Access.

You also don't need to pay for online. These subs are not a "sweetener" deal for an online subscription.

Coolade

Oct 27, 2017
Humble Bundle has been really cool for me. And most of the time if I already own the game I get to give games away to friends who build new pcs so its pretty neat.

Nov 30, 2017
What do people buy Gold and PS+ for?

To play multiplayer of a game you already purchased.

Also, I subbed PS+ all through the PS3 lifecycle when it became available just for the games. It also was better value then because they gave out much nicer games. They are just now getting around to it on PS4.

I also have Origin and your right it's not to bad at all.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
PC monthly subscriptions like humblebundle are better as Gold & Plus?

Can I play PS4 Games on my PS4 and Xbox One games on my Xbox with them? No? Well.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
Amazon Prime is the best subscription service ever. The amount of stuff they give you is amazing.

The additional of monthly games (21 this month) has just improved the value.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Well. I wouldn't say *never* given Microsoft can decide to stop supporting them in the future, or just simply not have them work on future hardware, licences can expire, etc. That's a problem with all digital software though.

When licenses expire on Xbox you can still download the games. It's happened with loads of games.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, on top of actually owning the games, you can also sell/gift the games that you already own from the bundle.

The thing with the PC market is companies are competing against an almost completely hardcore market & easier piracy. Consoles are mad up of majority casual players, and piracy is almost non-existent.
This is such an old and ignorant point of view. People are actually pirating current gen consoles as we speak now. Owning a console doesn't make someone holy.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Can I play PS4 Games on my PS4 and Xbox One games on my Xbox with them? No? Well.

The fuck is this post?

Can you play your ps plus games on Xbox and PC? Can you play your games with gold games on PC and PS4?

What are you even asking? What are you doing?

This thread is about the value proposition in comparison to what is on offer on consoles. You would stand to benefit if services of similar quality were offered on consoles.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I've never thought about signing up for Humble monthly. PC games are cheap and discounted and given away often aside from a few massive titles. Twitch Prime I get due to Amazon prime.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
It's because it's either more expensive, or in EA's case a way to get constant money from older titles that would otherwise not be bought

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Because Sony and Microsoft know a huge amount of people are gonna subscribe to PS+ and XBL Gold anyway just for online multiplayer. Services on PC don't offer that since MP is free there, which means that they need to offer good games to get people to pay for their service, no good offerings = low amount of subscribers. Humble Monthly is also $12 a month, which puts it at $132 a year, that's more than double the price of PS+ and XBL Gold.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It's always generally the rule. PC gaming is initially expensive to get into due to the hardware but the savings from software end up balancing it out long term. Like I'll have paid almost ÂŁ200 on Plus subscription by the time this gen is over, which is about what my processor and ram cost. PC games being maybe ÂŁ10 cheaper on average soon adds up to a lot as well over a console-gen length period of time.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The fuck is this post?

Can you play your ps plus games on Xbox and PC? Can you play your games with gold games on PC and PS4?

What are you even asking? What are you doing?

This thread is about the value proposition in comparison to what is on offer on consoles. You would stand to benefit if services of similar quality were offered on consoles.

well that's about one of the stupidest posts in this thread so far

It's just like, it's great for PC players, of course, yes, but do I have an alternative as console player? No, so what's the purpose of this discussion other than PC vs Console war?

Of course consoles can't compete with such things like Humble Bundle or PC games in general, where you basically get every new game for 10-20 bucks a week after release, or even less sometimes with all the country specific key market prices. I just don't see room for a discussion here.
You could say the console systems are just outdated since they are over 4 years old but I'm sure the will change stuff for the next console gen. If you want an answer for the OP title question than it is "Because these systems on consoles are old and won't change mid gen".

What I meant with my posting was, yes it's "better" if you are an PC player, great, but if you're a console player, it doesn't matter for you cause you only have Plus or Gold and that's the best what you can have.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Like others have said, Humble monthly is like twice as expensive as PS+ is.

As for the rest, every company is equally motivated by profits. They charge what they can get away with. When something has an amazing value, and offers a better value than similar services out there, you can be sure that they're gaining somewhere else. Just look at Netflix and its steady march towards "let's see what price we can get away with for maximum profit". Amazon prime offers amazing games because that shit's literally chump change for them, and that entire service is probably a loss leader at this point, while PS+ is something Sony needs to make a profit off of.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I cancelled PS+ a few years ago after they stopped giving out decent games.

Then I started purchasing humble bundles with that money instead and got far better games and was happier choosing what I wanted to buy.

Just subbed the last six months for the humble monthly because most of the good games tend to debut first on monthly. And I just subbed again for another six months. It's been pretty good so far.

For $66 the last six months I got -

Civilization VI
Life is Strange
Owlboy
Tacoma
Snake Pass
Dark Souls III
Aviary Attorney
Deus Ex Mankind Devided
God Eater 1 & 2
Mafia III
Dead RIsing 4
Kerbal Space Program
NBA Playgrounds
Destiny 2
Yooka Laylee
Hearts of Iron IV
Blackwake
Portal Knights
Titan Quest + Ragnarok Expansion
and at least 30 other titles

for about the price of 1 Day 1 game.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
As a rule I don't like subscription services because there is rarely any ownership left when you stop subscribing and I don't like my money going to something where there is a random chance I won't like anything on offer. Because of this I do much prefer the approach of these PC subscription services where you keep the games and at least have some clue what your getting next month. I only subscribe to Humble on the months I like the preview games so I know I won't be disappointed, meanwhile only once have I subscribed to PS+ and that was because I wanted messages in Bloodborne more then anything else, frankly I feel dirty for paying Sony for that privilege.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Humble monthly is $132 a year..

Correction...$132 for 13 months (of 8 to 9 games)
or you can sign up for 5 months of humble monthly (of $12) which will equate to $60, the price you pay for a full year of PS+...

And in this 5 months you get 40 to 45 PC games. compare to 24 to maybe 30 PS4 games over 12 months.

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Is it the Kratos avatar doing this to you?

I mean damn this post is almost meme worthy and a perfect encapsulation of what gaming side on Era is really like

Last edited:

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
In the case of Amazon, they are in the business of using investor money to bankrupt competitors. I can't imagine their subscription service is actually making money.