• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The learning curve is one of the most intense I have ever seen in a game. I found it to be worth the struggle because it's absolutely one of my all-time favorite Nintendo games but it's also the only that actually gives me significant physical pain to play for extended sessions. It is not an easy game for me to recommend due to that alone unfortunately.

Man, the presentation is out of this world though. It's pretty un-Nintendo in a lot of ways too.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Game is phenomenal, hand cramps aside. It'd probs play great on something like the Steam Controller and its trackpad thingies. Or maybe Gyro controls would work okay?

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic video. Kid Icarus Uprising is the most ambitious game I've ever played, and it deserves a modern port and more people playing it. I can't preach it enough.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish it got a modern port. It's a fantastic game once you get used to the controls.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wish it had better controls, but it's still a great game.

I love that Sakurai went the Okami route and made it feel like a complete trilogy despite being a single game. So while I wish we had a Uprising 2, I feel like this will suffice. Especially with all the side content and multiplayer.

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
MAN I love this game so much. I never ever thought I could ever like an on rails shooter but boi was I WRONG. Also, that 3d effect was amazing, the content was awesome, the Graphics were impressive, and the music was epic.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Underrated? Yes. Masterpiece? No.

I know there are people out there who had no issues with the ground combat controls, but I have to imagine they are in the minority. I loved every flying segment and didn't beat the game because of the awful controls and boring level design of the ground segments. And the game suffers a bit from typical Samurai bloat of content.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
My absolute favorite game of all time. i legitimately wish smash wasn't as popular as it was so there could be more breathing room for sakurai to do new titles.

Didn't finish the video but I appreciate it's not as preachy as I thought it would be based on the title.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I Own it. Tried playing it many times.
I love the game but could not find controls that worked for me :/

Is there any config someone can give that is easier than the others? (I am right handed) I played only a couple hours but would love to actually experience the game lol

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
I Own it. Tried playing it many times.
I love the game but could not find controls that worked for me :/

Is there any config someone can give that is easier than the others? (I am right handed) I played only a couple hours but would love to actually experience the game lol
The default controls are perfect if you are holding the 3DS the correct way.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
One of the best games I've played. Ever so often I come back to it.

The multiplayer is addictive as hell.

Nintendo, port this to the switch please.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
ok thanks.
Please tell me the correct way to hold it and I'll see to default control and try it tonight!
I mean I usually just hold the 3DS hands on circle pad and on buttons (in other games)
You must support the back of the 3DS with your right pinky finger.
The reason it shipped with that bizarre stand was the need for something to support the 3DS while you press down on it with the stylus. Supporting it with your finger replaces the need for the stand.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't support this game because the controls are completely unseasonable. the design and mechanics are awesome but it physically hurts to play lol

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
You must support the back of the 3DS with your right pinky finger.
The reason it shipped with that bizarre stand was the need for something to support the 3DS while you press down on it with the stylus. Supporting it with your finger replaces the need for the stand.

oh dang I used to have that stand but not anymore !!! I'll try the pinky method - hope this works I feel like I missed out on this game

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Underrated? Yes. Masterpiece? No.

I know there are people out there who had no issues with the ground combat controls, but I have to imagine they are in the minority. I loved every flying segment and didn't beat the game because of the awful controls and boring level design of the ground segments. And the game suffers a bit from typical Samurai bloat of content.

On the contrary I think the ground segments have the better pieces of level design, the enemies have more complex set ups and you have more options of approach.

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I got used to the controls fairly quickly but would still much rather prefer traditional gamepad controls. I was really surprised by how much I loved the dialogue and humor in this game. The weapon variety was a good amount I felt. And the levels were very replayable.

As much as I love Smash and need a new one every gen... I hope Sakurai gets to work more other series. Really felt like he gave a breath of new life to Kid Icarus. I'd love to see him take on another IP or just create his own. I feel like how fun and fresh Kid Icarus felt was because Sakurai finally got to direct something that wasn't Smash or Kirby.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I really want a Switch port because I'm left-handed and only heard bad things about the control scheme for left-handed people but it looks to be so much up my alley that I've been tempted multiple times to purchase it.

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the game, but my hands sure didnt. Would love to see a sequel or an attempt to port w/out those controls.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Controls are awful and pretty much destroyed any fun of the game for me. The ground missions are also pretty bad. It's only redeeming qualities are the flight missions and the graphics (some of the best on the 3ds).

I really can't see gyro being viable on higher intensity. You NEED to be able to use the "spinning globe" touch screen to be able to turn around fast enough on those difficulties.

I've always wondered if a Wii-mote would work - pressing and releasing B to grab and spin the "globe" with IR aiming also included.

On a Joycon, it'd be ZR instead of B.
On a Switch Pro, you're totally screwed.

oh dang I used to have that stand but not anymore !!! I'll try the pinky method - hope this works I feel like I missed out on this game
Loved the game, but my hands sure didnt. Would love to see a sequel or an attempt to port w/out those controls.
Controls are awful and pretty much destroyed any fun of the game for me.

I'm legitimately curious how you were holding the 3DS to play. I hold it literally the same as ever other game that requires a stylus.

So, left hand supports the 3DS with middle finger curved down - just like a normal grip when playing 3DS. Then the right corner rests on the right hand palm with pinky resting on the L button - for added support, I guess?

The bigger problem might be that the 3DS just isn't a very ergonomic handheld.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm legitimately curious how you were holding the 3DS to play. I hold it literally the same as ever other game that requires a stylus.

So, left hand supports the 3DS with middle finger curved down - just like a normal grip when playing 3DS. Then the right corner rests on the right hand palm with pinky resting on the L button - for added support, I guess?

The bigger problem might be that the 3DS just isn't a very ergonomic handheld.
Tried several poses (also the plastic stand that was in the game, lol) and nothing really worked for me. I think bending my knees and putting the 3DS on my legs was the best way to play it in the end. Still became crampy after 20-30 minutes. I still finished the game once and did some multiplayer, but apart from some of the flight levels, I didn't enjoy it.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
This game needs a Switch port to fix that awful control scheme, otherwise, it is indeed a masterpiece!

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
If only you could control the camera with the circle pad pro or c-stick in my case (you would think if they add support for it that's the logical move)

Other than that freaking great game, maybe all time greats?