• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Japan has the third-largest economy on the planet, but in the last five years, has granted refugee status to fewer than 100 people.

In 2013, just six applications were approved. Eleven people made the cut the following year, followed by 27 in 2015. Out of the 10,901 people who applied in 2016, just 28 were granted refugee status in Japan. The number of applications jumped to more than 19,000 the next year. Only 20 were accepted.

While headlines around the world have slammed these numbers, they are actually misleading Dirk Hebecker, head of the Tokyo branch of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), told Business Insider. Last year's 20 approvals didn't come from the 19,000-odd applications, but were people who had applied years earlier, a byproduct of the slow-moving vetting process.

"Excuse my blunt reaction on this, but it's very stupid to put these two figures together. It's well-known how long it takes in Japan and many other countries to actually have a result," Hebecker said, referring to the process of seeking asylum.

But despite a lack of correlation, the raw numbers tell a hard truth: Japan is one of the world's least-welcoming countries for refugees.

But key to Japan's policy is its focus instead on UNHCR donations — it is the fourth-largest government donor. The country also employs a unique definition of a refugee.

Despite signing onto the 1951 Refugee Convention, Japan only recognizes refugees who are individually targeted and persecuted, regardless of whether they belong to a persecuted minority, or are fleeing war or conflict.

Saburo Takizawa, who previously held Hebecker's role and is now the chairman of the nonprofit Japan for UNHCR, told Business Insider it's a definition that excludes most modern refugees, abiding "by the letter, if not spirit," of the convention.

"What the government is doing is very much abusive of the human-rights convention," Amini said.

And there's little popular push to change this. Though the experts who spoke with Business Insider were divided on how open citizens are to refugees — as are various polls — they all agreed that Japan is a homogeneous country and, generally, people would like for it to stay that way.

There's a persistent fear in Japan that adopting a more liberal refugee program could be the first step to one day being forced to accept a large-scale influx of refugees fleeing North Korea.

And the country's leaders and media haven't helped.

Editorials have warned that there could be a dangerous "flood" of North Korean refugees; that armed North Koreans might disguise themselves as refugees and target military bases or nuclear power plants; and that North Koreans have a penchant for bribery, stimulant drugs, and a lack of civil interactions that could "create turmoil" in society.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-japan-accepts-so-few-refugees-2018-4

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
Sooner or later they are going to have open their borders, but as usual by the time the realization is made the damage would have been significant.

Or maybe they will fix their population with magic.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not a surprise

They tend to "get away with it" without nearly as much criticism as the US

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
No country is perfect, not even Japan.

Xenophobia and loneliness are the flipside of Japan's coin. It's not alone in the loneliness part but it's definitely exceptionally xenophobic. Look at how they treat people of Korean ancestry. It's disgraceful and it dishonors the country.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
It's damned hard to even immigrate there period, I wouldn't expect refugees to have much of any chance.

Their stance on immigration needs to change or they're going to be in real trouble.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: thread derail, whataboutism
what about the USA though? its mot like they took in millions of refugees from syria... last year it was less hen a thousand.. and unlike japan the us has been a major actor in the region and arguably one of the reasons why the region is so destabilized.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Laughing at American citizens gleefully shitting on Japan for this, but at least there are some movements to update and improve the application process

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
im raising the question because this is still a US centric forum and the US isnt really refugee friendly either

Laughing at American citizens gleefully shitting on Japan for this, but at least there are some movements to update and improve the application process

The US has been one of the most accepting of refugee claimants for a non endemic nation by a country mile for a long time. Don't let the Trump admin fool you.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon

We're not "gleefully" shitting on Japan. Their xenophobic policies towards refugees and immigrants don't let us off the hook, and the policies of our dumbshit president don't make it okay for Japan either. This bullshit whataboutism needs to stop.

It's hard to immigrate to any country that isn't the US.

Take it from someone whose wife immigrated here: no, it's not easy to immigrate to the US. In fact it's virtually impossible for the vast majority of people. Despite what dumbass republican lawmakers like to spew, we don't have "open borders" where anyone can just come right in. My wife was denied a visa to come here just as a TOURIST because her country isn't part of the visa waiver program and she didn't make enough money to overcome the assumption by the consulate that she would overstay her visa. We ultimately applied for a K1 fiancee visa after we got engaged, and she was approved (since the burden of evidence and financial support shifts to me, the visa sponsor). Immigration via marriage is by far the easiest way to immigrate here, but it's still incredibly expensive, frustrating, and time-consuming. A refugee visa is the hardest visa to obtain and can take years to get.

Last edited:

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
When I visited Tokyo, 99.9% of the people were very receptive towards me. The only time where it was awkward was asking an old man for directions and he gave me this weird stare. I know Tokyo isn't everywhere is Japan so that's all I can base my experience on.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to immigrate to any country that isn't the US.
2xOcNkz.gif

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I immigrated to the US and it was pretty easy, compared to countries like Canada, Scandinavian countries.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
what about the USA though? its mot like they took in millions of refugees from syria... last year it was less hen a thousand.. and unlike japan the us has been a major actor in the region and arguably one of the reasons why the region is so destabilized.
This thread is about Japan, not the US.

The US has been one of the most accepting of refugee claimants for a non endemic nation by a country mile for a long time. Don't let the Trump admin fool you.
I doubt that this is true, especially in regards to countries like Syria.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're not "gleefully" shitting on Japan. Their xenophobic policies towards refugees and immigrants don't let us off the hook, and the policies of our dumbshit president don't make it okay for Japan either. This bullshit whataboutism needs to stop.
pointing out that the us isnt refugee friendly isnt bullshit whataboutism. trump won exactly because of his anti immigration policies so its not a byproduct of his win but the reason for it. you cant point at one richass country that is doing jackshit for refugees but you have to point to all of em and the US happens to be the richest most powerful country.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
pointing out that the us isnt refugee friendly isnt bullshit whataboutism. trump won exactly because of his anti immigration policies so its not a byproduct of his win but the reason for it. you cant point at one richass country that is doing jackshit for refugees but you have to point to all of em and the US happens to be the richest most powerful country.
Must be convenient to have a nebulous scapegoat like the US to point at in order to keep from looking inwards at the injustices and inadequacies of your own communities and governments.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is about Japan. If you want to make one about the US, make one yourself instead of derailing this thread already before it's reached 50 posts.

scotdar

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Having lived there I can tell you the country is full. It's a tiny little island with a shit load of people. I can't really fault them for having virtually no immigration. They are already super over populated.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Having lived there I can tell you the country is full. It's a tiny little island with a shit load of people. I can't really fault them for having virtually no immigration. They are already super over populated.

That's not really true except in the major cities. There's big areas of countryside that are becoming depopulated because no one wants to live there anymore.

Thebeast!

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I think the problem is that japanese citizenship is tied to your cultue. To them a person of Mexican background can't be called a Japanese citizen but if a Japanese person lives in the United States I don't think most people would have a problem calling them them an american.

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But we're not talking about America here we're talking about Japan

Yes, and so did I but people are getting that knee jerk.

I still think it's funny that some of my fellow US citizens get indignant about it (and obviously didn't read the entirety of the excerpt in the OP let alone the source) when the US obviously has a greater responsibility in accepting refugees from conflicts US foreign policy is largely responsible for. Especially when some of those people enjoy downplaying domestic policy issues too.

Call it whataboutism if you want too, that's cool

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is about Japan, not the US.

this is a us board so the question must be raised.

It seems you can't read. Accepted 11 Syrian refugees. There are still plans to accept over 20k refugees in total this year.
still microscopic numbers. german y has accepted around 180k last year despite being much smaller than the US. in 2015 they accepted 810k.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/fluechtlinge-so-war-2017-und-so-wird-2018-a-1184058.html

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its kinda funny that since World War II its the losers, whose crimes against humanity were unparalleled, have been the ones not going around fucking things up for everybody else.

But the winners... had a fucking field day the past 70 years.

Anyway, on topic, I don't begrudge them their isolationism, but refugees should protected and borne by all.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The North Korea refugee problem is something that all the East Asian countries are afraid of. It's also why everybody in the region, China included, are dedicated to de-escalation of military tensions. The dictatorship will crumble eventually, and that outflux of North Koreans will inevitably impact the region.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Like I said. if you want to speak black and white, America has been up there in terms of harbouring refugees for a while now.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/30/key-facts-about-refugees-to-the-u-s/

Let me make this clear. Harbouring refugees is not an easy task. Refugees most often come with nothing the clothes on their backs, and very little resources to integrate. Combined against public interest and political motive, there's a hard line where acceptance is drawn. Not to say that refugees have an easy task. They have it the worst. Absolutely nothing to go back to, except perhaps their immediate suffering, leaving a home like that is a risk tantamount to life and death. My family came to Canada as illegal immigrants with nothing but a suitcase, sharing a bag of peanuts on our very first day. To think the conditions that refugees make they way is impossibly difficult to me.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and so did I but people are getting that knee jerk.

I still think it's funny that some of my fellow US citizens get indignant about it (and obviously didn't read the entirety of the excerpt in the OP let alone the source) when the US obviously has a greater responsibility in accepting refugees from conflicts US foreign policy is largely responsible for. Especially when some of those people enjoy downplaying domestic policy issues too.

Call it whataboutism if you want too, that's cool
What does any of this have to do with Japan low refugee intake? Again we're talking about America we are talking about japan.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You know that Japan is literally going extinct, right? 少子高齢化

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland