Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has been a fair amount unemployed throughout the years I love work and love my current job, feeling productive is a good feeling and sitting at home makes me restless.

As someone who spent a lot of time unemployed and also doesn't mind my current job...nah, I'd rather just do what I want all day. Don't get me wrong, unemployment SUCKS, but it's because it is impossible to enjoy anything when you're worried about how you're going to survive another month without money. If that was out of the equation then I'd be very happy moving back near family and never working again.

I mean, it's not like I'd sit around playing games all day. I'd work out, learn new languages, maybe take a college course for no reason other than to learn. There's plenty of ways to challenge and improve myself, the 10-11 hours a day I spend at or going to/from work is a lot of room to fit other stuff.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
One issue is that the people who tend to rise in companies are the ones most bought into the work the company does, so they don't really understand when underlings who are just trying to make a living do not also aspire to have the job take over their life. OP seems like one of those who is bought in, so of course the idea of not working isn't appealing. If I were doing my dream job, I also would sound like that.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Most people aren't doing what they love, even what they like. Work isn't an issue. Humans need purpose. However just going through the motions at a dead end job is not good for you. That's why many think work sucks.

Dee Bill

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Man, i'd take money over work any day. I would travel the world with my family, help people in need, just plain relax, take care of the kids and pretty much do whatever i want.

Not saying i don't like my job, it actually has it ups and downs but i'd prefer having a lot of money, enough for not working.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the lottery talk of late, along with the people willing to marry complete strangers for billions, essentially it is a ticket from the need to work for a living.

I definitely don't have a dream job, but solving problems, teamwork, and overcoming obstacles is rather fun. Albeit, I come from a very privileged perspective. I'm not a coal miner. I'm a white collar professional.

If you were to win the lottery, sure I can see traveling for year or so, but wouldn't you want to do something to use your talents and gifts?

Start a business, possibly a non-profit. Go back to school and pursue a career you always wanted to pursue but had no money or time. Just relaxing all the time in ostentation sound incredibly boring. Look at Notch and compare him to a Bill Gates, who while is out of the software space, is very excited to solve big problems thought his foundation. He has purpose and vision. Sure he still enjoys his money too.

No offense, but you make yourself seem like a rathr dull person. Is "just relaxing all the time" all you can fathom people doing when they're not working? A lot of us have actual passions that we might not have any interest in making businesses out of. Turning a hobby into a job makes it work, it can suck the enthusiasm out of things like nothing else. I love freedom. Freedom to do what I want at my own pace. If I want to just relax today, I want to be able to do that. But I might want to go for a hike, work on some photography, build some furniture, work in the garden, make a sculpture, work on a painting, or write some songs. I have a ton of things I want to do, and the mental and physical drain that naturally comes from going to work, gets in the way.

So yeah, I'd take that money and never work another day.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I enjoy my work because it's challenging and mentally stimulating (it pays well, too). However, if I was handed a lot of money and had the choice, I would rather work less in order to have more time for other hobbies and traveling. Maybe work as a part-time consultant or something.

Then again, my mind could always change if I had enough money to do anything I wanted and not have to worry about being able to afford it.

Oct 25, 2017
If I won the lottery then yeah I would definitely be starting a non-profit and pursue a lot of different ventures. But also working full time while going for an MS degree is really fixing hard and I have it so I'd quit in a fraction of a second if I didn't have to work

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
entremet

This is honestly one of the dumbest questions I've seen.

Seriously? Do you not look at corporations and their work ethics in the United States? How about in places like India and China where they're exploited people in the US even further than many here?

I know it's probably question built for discussion, but the fact that it needs to be asked is fucked.

If I didn't have to wake up at 6:00am to go to work and school, and could get a crazy good amount of sleep, on top of making great amounts of personal creative progress, I would drop all of this rat-race, achievement bullshit.

And to answer your other question, if I had no need to worry about money, I would try to use it on solving societal issues, funding research, etcetera.

Oct 25, 2017
No offense, but you make yourself seem like a rathr dull person. Is "just relaxing all the time" all you can fathom people doing when they're not working? A lot of us have actual passions that we might not have any interest in making businesses out of. Turning a hobby into a job makes it work, it can suck the enthusiasm out of things like nothing else. I love freedom. Freedom to do what I want at my own pace. If I want to just relax today, I want to be able to do that. But I might want to go for a hike, work on some photography, build some furniture, work in the garden, make a sculpture, work on a painting, or write some songs. I have a ton of things I want to do, and the mental and physical drain that naturally comes from going to work, gets in the way.

Also this. Last time I really opened up about how depressive I get sometimes about my work/life balance, my girlfriend asked why I don't pursue an actual passion instead of just picking the career I was very fortunately presented with (GIS in my case). I said it was because I don't want to ruin the few things that I enjoy doing in my very little free time. I've thought on and off about doing the whole gaming channel/stream thing and every time I start I just find that it's exhausting and not as fun as just playing something to enjoy it. Same with doing photo commissions - when I'm not with friends it comes with pressure and expectation and I don't feel I can just shoot and edit the way I feel on that day.

If money weren't an issue for me at all I'd just devote my time to my hobbies, travel, and education in Family and Child Sciences / Child Psychology. Then go full time dad when I have kids.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Have people tried Burning Man types existences, but long term?

I remember reading about the hippie communes of the 60s. But those didn't last long.

I just wonder why humanity hasn't found a way to escape this as so many hate the need to work. What are the obstacles?

Also consumerism is a big thing too. Let's face it many of us love its fruits, including myself.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018

Definitely a fair take. Like I said on the last page I'm definitely a dull person in the sense that I don't have any creative talents to make things or interest in doing that, not really into time consuming hobbies like hiking and other outdoor stuff. I just like hanging with friends, eating/drinking and consuming media and have plenty of time for all of that after work and still get bored at times.

I knew myself pretty well by my early 20s and made smart decisions about major and going to grad school as I knew I'd need a career I enjoyed that also gave me freedom to choose my own work topics, set my own schedule etc if I was going to have a fulfilled life. With my limited interests and no desire for kids, I just couldn't fill my days in a way that would leave me satisfied without a career that brought me purpose and satisfaction. And it works for me as life is great and I'm very happy and content and want for nothing. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Last edited:

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I work for money so for me it would be pointless to work after becoming ridiculously rich. Life is too short, if I won it today I probably wouldn't have enough time to go everywhere I want to go and do everything I want to do even without working.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Have people tried Burning Man types existences, but long term?

I remember reading about the hippie communes of the 60s. But those didn't last long.

I just wonder why humanity hasn't found a way to escape this as so many hate the need to work. What are the obstacles?
Burning man is an Art festival not a place for living and surviving. But yea there are communities of people that live off the land if that what you mean

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Work is a necessity, if you're rich, what's the point of being rich if there's nothing to buy? People need to work in order to produce goods that people of all income levels consume/purchase. Even if I was filthy rich, I'd still work to keep busy, but wouldn't worry about getting fired.

CrashFaster

Oct 28, 2017
I definitely don't have a dream job, but solving problems, teamwork, and overcoming obstacles is rather fun. Albeit, I come from a very privileged perspective. I'm not a coal miner. I'm a white collar professional.

I'm a white collar professional too, but what you state all highly depends on where you work and what the makeup of your team is. My current 'team' is more of the variant of 'hey, I'm on holiday next week, here's a big chunk of extra work for you. You'd take that for the team right? Have fun!', hefty politics and throwing each other under the bus.

Hey, I can solve this myself by looking for better things, I'm not complaining, but just saying.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
entremet

This is honestly one of the dumbest questions I've seen.

Seriously? Do you not look at corporations and their work ethics in the United States? How about in places like India and China where they're exploited people in the US even further than many here?

I know it's probably question built for discussion, but the fact that it needs to be asked is fucked.

If I didn't have to wake up at 6:00am to go to work and school, and could get a crazy good amount of sleep, on top of making great amounts of personal creative progress, I would drop all of this rat-race, achievement bullshit.

And to answer your other question, if I had no need to worry about money, I would try to use it on solving societal issues, funding research, etcetera.
No offense taken.

However, you never received messages growing up about what you wanted to do when you grew up, follow your dreams and all that?

Western society places a high value on work beyond sustenance. For many, it becomes an identity.

Yet, we all reach a point we're we say forget this.

So I'm coming at it more from an existential perspective. Moreover, since many of us are in this boat collectively, why haven't we overthrown it.

Hope that clarified my intent. I'm kinda kooky guy, so I can understand the disconnect lol.

But I would admit that even the most menial and boring jobs I have had have given me a sense of pride, worked as a dishwasher in restaurant for a bit. Maybe I'm wacky like that.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
As someone who spent a lot of time unemployed and also doesn't mind my current job...nah, I'd rather just do what I want all day. Don't get me wrong, unemployment SUCKS, but it's because it is impossible to enjoy anything when you're worried about how you're going to survive another month without money. If that was out of the equation then I'd be very happy moving back near family and never working again.

I mean, it's not like I'd sit around playing games all day. I'd work out, learn new languages, maybe take a college course for no reason other than to learn. There's plenty of ways to challenge and improve myself, the 10-11 hours a day I spend at or going to/from work is a lot of room to fit other stuff.

That's what I'm saying though, having two weeks off work sitting at home made me restless because there's work stuff in the back of my head, when you're unemployed it's a hundred job interviews and depression from rejections, you can't really enjoy the freedom to its fullest, I would gladly do whatever all day but you need a clear head, like winning the lottery or retire. Even with a job there's still things that bring unease, like if you're contract is being renewed or not whatever.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I'm a white collar professional too, but what you state all highly depends on where you work and what the makeup of your team is. My current 'team' is more of the variant of 'hey, I'm on holiday next week, here's a big chunk of extra work for you. You'd take that for the team right? Have fun!', hefty politics and throwing each other under the bus.

Hey, I can solve this myself by looking for better things, I'm not complaining, but just saying.

I feel this and almost called it out in my first post.

Right now two members of our "team" are on travel, the newest member is in training, and another member won't start for another week. I've been getting things done by myself just fine, but hope to be able to reduce my workload by not having to always be the clean up hitter once the team is more integrated.

That's how work goes sometimes. I like the job itself, I have a stable career. It can be challenging and rewarding, but it's not fueled by passion.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I mean most people work and have dreams of financially security, and the pleasures that come with having a lot of money (buying that home, buying that nice car, going on vacation in the south of france). Why work when you have won the capital necessary to actually achieve your dreams and goals?

You're not going to find many people in the world whose dream it is to work for work's sake.

Oct 30, 2017
Same. My profession is probably the biggest thing that defines me. I enjoy what I do and wouldn't retire even if I came into wealth. I rarely even go the weekend without working unless we ave a ton of stuff planned or their some new game that just came out that I'm binging. I just get bored most of the time if I'm just chilling alone or with just for more than a day and end up doing some work as it's fulfilling to me.

To the OPs question the biggest factor is most poeple have jobs they either hate or are just ok with rather than a career they enjoy and have passion for. It takes a lot of luck, knowing what you want to do, skill to do it and hard work to get a gig you like doing work you love. Some just never find something they truly love and can get paid well to do. Others find it, but can't find a job with a good employer in their area. And so on. It makes sense those people would retire ASAP.

Then there's another much smaller chunk of people who just lack work ethic and some who are just plain lazy.

I like you, lol. But ya I think its fair to say that "most" people just plain don't like their jobs. I think many people don't work jobs or careers they enjoy so its a drain instead of something to be positive about and have pride in. I would also agree that "some" people are just plain lazy and will do the absolute minimum to get through life, including their job. But I think most people just work jobs they don't like. Largely though, society and tricked people into thinking you need higher education to get ahead or get good careers. So I would gather millions of people feel "stuck" where they are, when all they have to do is get their mind right, and out of that fog of lies and take control of their lives.

However its way easier to not do that, so the cycle en-large will continue.

I mean most people work and have dreams of financially security, and the pleasures that come with having a lot of money (buying that home, buying that nice car, going on vacation in the south of france). Why work when you have won the capital necessary to actually achieve your dreams and goals?

You're not going to find many people in the world whose dream it is to work for work's sake.

Literally all the people I know who are "rich", work for work's sake. Work is their passion, and it drives them to excel. The reason they got all that money was because of their strong and determined work ethic, which doesn't suddenly vanish overnight. However, take someone who has never worked that hard in their life and throw money at them.. sure they'll want to just do nothing, because that has been their dream, and their work ethic their entire life. Do less whenever possible.

Money doesn't change who you are, it just exposes you.

Last edited:

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
No offense taken.

However, you never received messages growing up about what you wanted to do when you grew up, follow your dreams and all that?

Western society places a high value on work beyond sustenance. For many, it becomes an identity.

Yet, we all reach a point we're we say forget this.

So I'm coming at it more from an existential perspective. Moreover, since many of us are in this boat collectively, why haven't we overthrown it.

Hope that clarified my intent. I'm kinda kooky guy, so I can understand the disconnect lol.

But I would admit that even the most menial and boring jobs I have had have given me a sense of pride, worked as a dishwasher in restaurant for a bit. Maybe I'm wacky like that.
I heard it all... follow your dreams, what do you want to BE when you grow up or my favorite ... find out what you love and do that as a career every day .
It's all bullshit. As others have pointed out doing hobbies 40 hrs a week is a job not fun. And money ruins the process.
My dream when I was a kid was to stare at animals (biologist ).... Only that's not even close to what a biologist does. Hate labs , hate writing papers, hate grants , hate school .... switched track at university to get a job that was relatively easy and could make money and I would recommend any young person consider the same. A job is a means to an end not a way to achieve your hobbies long term ( of course some people find ways to make a hobby into a job they can enjoy which is great )
Even actors or directors who you could argue have dream jobs have multiple horror stories of producers ruining their project with stupid show notes , terrible ideas , etc . Point being again that the need to make money at the thing ruins it.
With no money concerns damn right I wouldn't work a job. Plenty of fun things to do. Hobbies for a start .

Unless a guidance counsellor out there has a brilliant idea how u make lying on the beach in Hawaii into a career . They never have an answer for that.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
(of course some people find ways to make a hobby into a job they can enjoy which is great )

Well, to expand on that it's not necessarily having to find a job that becomes a hobby or turning a hobby into a job--that's just the best case scenario for truly loving your work.

It can just be finding a type of work you enjoy or at least mostly like doing and that you find very rewarding to do. For instance people who work for non-profits who like what they do and find it rewarding as they're helping people or environmental causes. Or teachers who enjoy making a difference in young peoples lives. Or professors like me who enjoy the puzzle solving of research, making a difference in our fields both academically and in the real world for those of us who do work relevant to policy and practice--as well as making a difference in students lives. Or doctors nurses and others improving people's health and quality of life. And so on.

It's far different when you're just a cog in some corporation who's only goal is to make as much money as possible for the owners and/or share holders. You probably see little financial rewards from your work and may even hate the intent as so many corporations are exploitative of both workers and their customers/society. Given most people have those kind of jobs, it's not surprising many hate their jobs and most would quit if they came into wealth.

I'm not sure what more guidance counselors and what not can do though. Maybe more specific questions about what causes students care about, what kind of difference they'd like to make and what not to get better info to help steer people to the right majors/careers. But so few kids in high school have a firm sense of who they are and what they care about for that to be very meaningful. And that's unlikely to improve in the age of helicopter parenting, so much time spent on school, homework and extracurricular activity and the rest staring at screens etc.

Last edited:

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Also consumerism is a big thing too. Let's face it many of us love its fruits, including myself.
Too bad that it wont last. Eventually there wont be enough jobs left to work, not because of overpopulaltion alone but also due to the fact that consumerism "bigger, better, higher" simply doesnt work endlessly. Resources are limited and to reach a perfect score humans are not a good workforce, instead we will be replaced by robots.

What we need is to accept that change is required, but many dont want to because they are afraid they dont get as much as anyone else. Jealous.

Oct 28, 2017
I wish I could just cut back the amount I work. If I made $100,000 a year, which is a common salary in my field, I'd gladly take a 25% pay cut and only work 30 hours a week instead of 40. The main thing I want is to be able to not be tired after work. I want to be able to do something afterwards.

GMAK2442

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
There is for sure bad jobs and it's normal to hate them. But there is plenty of nice jobs like mine is nice and I say that the reason why it's despised is because humans being are "fainéant". Humans being tend to be incorrect and very lazy. Not all but I think most of them.

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Shit if i won the win for life i only need like $2800/ month to be satisfied. Shit ill just live frugally, fuck this rat race we call work. screw working to only make your boss richer.

Oct 27, 2017
Because capitalism has seperated the worker form their labor.
Because capitalism has seperated the worker from their brethren.
Because capitalism has... damn I need to read up on Marx before I start making Marxist jokes.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I mean I would not want to just sit around and play video games my entire life as long as VRMMOs don't exist, but at the same time I don't enjoy working with other people nor do I enjoy working by the demands of others. Depends on how extroverted/introverted/oppositionally defiant you are. I would greatly prefer to hole up and do art, music, writing, and exercise and then mix up that hermit behavior with world travel.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Because money is a invention of man and a modern replacement for shackles. We are not naturally meant to lead a life of/or bow to money - but are rather forced to. However, working is something I believe most people like to do as long as it's in the field of their hobby or interests. But most people don't have the luxuary to choose.

Last edited:

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A very small percentage of jobs are rewarding. Most are absolute drudgery.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I generally enjoy my job compared to the others I've had in the past. Still if I couldn't work and spend my time relaxing and enjoying other aspects of life I would. I do think work is crucial (mentally, physically, financially) and would never not work unless I'm comfortable.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
ive got dream projects and ideas id rather fund and do than work another day in my life with crazy money.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I don't hate my job but I despise the fact that it keeps going and never ever stops. A 2-3 month break would really do wonders.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Due to health reasons I was out of work and college for a total of a year and a half in my mid twenties. Thanks to family, I had no financial concerns and kept the same income as before. It was still hell. Sitting at home was murder. Everyone else studies or works during the weekdays. Weekends stop being special. Life felt like someone pushed the pause button. The feeling of stasis and isolation were quite frankly worse than the health reasons that kept me down and out.

You seriously have to hate your job to prefer that. As for me, I'm not sure I even want to retire unless I have to. That feeling like you're useless to society is downright horrifying,

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm going to love my new job. If I won the lottery I'd pursue my own passion, though.

OP really underestimates how much probably the vast majority of all jobs suck.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Most people do shit they don't like for a living, i love my job, i'm a self employed photographer/videographer.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Its not just work' or 'job thats the problem, the problem is the toxic job culture that sorrounds it: people valued for their job positions, people discriminated for having different jobs or the money they gain, competition, low wages due to cost of living, overworking and exploitation in some cases, etc. Etc.
Not everybody has the education or financial means for starting a business, not everybody works because they love their job, not everybody is paid what they deserve, not everybody manages to climb the social ladder by working

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
not so much a matter of "work" as it is the workforce in general. like 95% of any given job is not even really work but acclimating to a bunch of BS that really has nothing to do with your job. and that goes across the blue to white collar spectrum

certainly optimal to still work when you don't have to, productive passions like crafting jewelry or making youtube videos or whatever your thing is. but then there's "work" work

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has been a fair amount unemployed throughout the years I love work and love my current job, feeling productive is a good feeling and sitting at home makes me restless.

As someone who had spent a fair amount unemployed, I actually preferred the freedom of not working, not being put under pressure or not feeling tired.

I am lucky that I have job that it's flexible with its hours and allows me to work from home.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im definitely privileged but the 9-5 40 hour work week is a stupid institution that we should question more, esspecially with looming mass automation.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
As someone who had spent a fair amount unemployed, I actually preferred the freedom of not working, not being put under pressure or not feeling tired.

I am lucky that I have job that it's flexible with its hours and allows me to work from home.

Yeah, I love freedom and energy too, it came at the expense of feeling productive though. That and it kinda sucked everyone around me had a job and I didn't, every time work talk came up in conversations I felt awkward, and people constantly asking me if I had a job already wore me down a lot.

The peace of mind I don't have to sent out hundreds of job applications anymore, making trips back and forth and getting depressing rejections and not feeling guilty of my free time is nice however.

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of these comments are deeply troubling. You might wanna re-evaluate your life if you think leisure is the only thing you want from it.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because i hate work lol.
If i won millions i would instantly quit a job and do whatever i want. Probably travel the world.

I only work to survive nothing more or less.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I work because I have to, not because I want to. That being said, I'm very lucky to have a job, especially the one I have. I would still absolutely drop work in a heartbeat if it were viable. None of things I find fun/worthwhile/meaningful are a stable way to make money or support my family.

A lot of these comments are deeply troubling. You might wanna re-evaluate your life if you think leisure is the only thing you want from it.

Why...?

Oct 27, 2017
ITT people ask why destroying your soul for the betterment of the 400 billionaires that are hoarding literal trillions in currency is a thing you might not want to do. smh...