MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Me personally, playing tf1 was okay, I bought into the hype but the combination of shooting ai as well as players, and slightly overpowered in comparison Titans made the gameplay loop not fee as good as cod. Didn't give t2 a tr

I say this as a halo multiplayer fan who tends to pick up cod for a few months and drop it after the repition starts to come through, reups and reset load outs only goes so far.

I also think the lack of a campaign hurt tf1.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
In terms of multiplayer, TF2 felt like a downgrade after TF1.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Titanfall 2 gets so much love cause it is looked down upon for bad release window with no support and then people find it and see that it is a very competent & fun game and wonder why it was downplayed and then oversell it. I fell victim to that too.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
TF1 still has the crown of my favorite twitch shooter (on PC) in the past fifteen years.

Cod4 was fun, TF1 upped the mobility and insanity.

TF2 was a step back, but the differing titans were kinda cool. The campaign was lots of fun.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't 1 sell over 10 million copies? Also, didn't it outsell 2, which was multiplatform? People just didn't gel with the second the way they did the first enough, I feel like. I'm one of them.
Ten million while being console exclusive to Xbox? Damn why are people calling it a flop 🤔

a916

Oct 25, 2017
It felt like COD on coke. It played as slick as COD but felt like the natural step forward. Honestly shocked it didn't blow up as much... but it's morphed into Apex Legends.

I'm hoping TF3 comes out.

OP
OP
Tesla

Tesla

Feb 8, 2019
It's true it was not for the average player let's say. Unsure if with the success of Apex we will see a TF3 :/

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Because EA fucked it on purpose.

jw4mpzd90tu41.jpg

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
First game was released at a weird time 'In between systems' and on Xbox only. Irony is I think if they really pushed it as an Xbox One must get release title, or released it as a multi-platform previous gen product it would have made a much bigger dent.

Second game had the release timing of an ex-boyfriend showing up to disrupt a wedding about an hour after they threw the bridal bouquet and did the first dance. On top of a sizable amount of the old fanbase actively campaigned against the game because of the balance/gameplay tweaks as if games that let you swing through the air at 30 MPH with pitch perfect COD shootings to slide into your mech to continue the carnage fell from trees.

I still laugh (well cry) popping into the old place at people bitching about a game that gave a AAA singleplayer on top of a new multiplayer sandbox 'sucks, because they ruined fighting mechs'. Seems the online community from Titanfall 1 actively hated it and it was outsiders who saw the gem it was.

jonasvutt

Jan 17, 2018
My expectations for the Star Wars FPS is through the roof.

And that's the way it is because no Titan Fall 3.

:(
I think the director of the Star Wars FPS is the same as the Medal of Honor VR game. Keep your expectations in check for now.

I'm sure that if Respawn wanted to make TF3 after the success of Apex, EA would be on board.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea honestly, titanfall 2 is still the best fps I've played in years and I only really played it in the last 2 years. It's awesome fun and I wish titanfall 3 was a known thing coming because nothing else has come close to titanfall for me in MP fps, considering how old the game is, it honestly surprised me how much better it is for me than the other fps games that have come since.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
The first one skipping PS4 really hurt the game/franchise. If the original released on PS4 as well it would have done SO much better

Oct 27, 2017
Never clicked for me, can't quantify why. Didn't even like the much adored campaign for 2 that much.

Clearly people love Apex so I'm not the only one with a disconnect from Titanfall as a concept.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
It launched in a crowded window for FPS games, so by the time anyone might've dipped in, the average TF2 launch player was doing this:

You couldn't really play it casually.

I personally also liked TF1 better. I was Diamond in that game, and I suck at PVP. Somehow it just clicked in a way that even TF2 didn't

Oct 27, 2017
Release timing for 2 may have hindered it somewhat I guess but even over time it never seemed like the multiplayer was talked about much, even once the game started picking up popularity.

nath999

May 7, 2018
I loved Titanfall 1 but it was barebones. I appreciate everything in Titanfall 2, it was full of content and huge battlefields but it was pretty complex to get into for me. I put it down pretty fast.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely adore the TF2 campaign, but TF2 MP seemed like an outright step down compared to the design/feel of the first game. It also launched at the worst-possible time re: direct competition.

I still consider TF1 an all-time genre great, but also clearly a game caught in the wake of its key platform's launch problems, and a broader console-war "crossfire". Despite the original's massive critical/commercial success, that didn't bolster interest for the multi-plat sequel the way you might hope. In retrospect, the naming shift for Apex (despite being the same lore/settings) absolutely makes sense as a response to this; I honestly think the name change helped people otherwise subconsciously off-put by aspects of the first two games grasp onto the franchise.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The first one skipping PS4 really hurt the game/franchise. If the original released on PS4 as well it would have done SO much better
Again, it sold over 10 million. Better? Sure. It did very well just being on Xbox. 2 had the chance and didn't click. Being sent to die in a crowded time for FPS games doesn't help. Because it wasn't on PS4 for the first wouldn't be the reason 2 didn't survive.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
I think the fact that Titanfall 1 was exclusive got it to reach the 10 million number. In addition to PC users every Xbox One owner basically bought it during that period and once it lost its exclusivity PS owners didn't care for it nor did Xbox owners in addition to the release timing. Just my theory.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Because people don't like good games, they like what Youtubers, the IGN's and Gamespots tell them to like. /S kinda

I think there are a bunch of things that prevented it from becoming bigger than what it should be. Titanfall being Xbox exclusive for the first game hurt it, Titanfall 2 had a horrible release date, The COD releases at the time were still very strong, and EA didn't promote it the way it should have. Those are just a few of my thoughts on why it failed to be as successful as it should have been.
I'm happy with the time I got to play in Titanfall 1 and 2, and I'll cherish the good times and rad people I meet in the frontier. A Titanfall 3 today would be great but full of $20 microtransactions in a $60 game.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
TF1 - exclusive to the least popular console, lacking content at launch, season pass was expensive for a new unknown IP
TF2 - released at a stupid time close to the big AAA shooters. Sent to die.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The first game sucked, well it lacked content. The 1st game had no SP, and the MP was barebone, so it quickly died.

The 2nd game, had great SP, but came out at a bad time, going up against COD, and BF. If the 2nd game had been the 1st game, I think more would have given it a try. I dont think many came back because the 1st game was a disappointment.

I'm personally hoping for a TF3, just because the 2nd game really left you wanting more. I'm not really interested in the MP aspect of the game.

Jquail

Mar 2, 2021
The first game was MP only, also PC/Xbox One exclusive. People didn't think the content justified the asking price, and it had stiff competition on PC. Also you have to remember the Xbox One was basically viewed as a joke early in it's lifespan.

2 was multiplatform and added a bomb ass campaign, but EA also basically sent it out to die, releasing near Battlefield 1. Some also viewed the MP in 2 as a regression from the first game.

Apex then came out and was a smash hit, bona fide moneymaker, so most of the focus was put on that and Star Wars projects.

I'm surprised this thread isn't just this exact post over and over and over again. This literally is just "It". Like, it's not really a mystery. To be a little more specific: Titanfall 2 came out the week in between Battlefield 1 and Call of Duty: Something Something. Baffling choice by EA. No way to tell obviously, but I genuinely think if it came out in, like, January or February, we'd have a Titanfall 3 by now.

Sep 21, 2019
Because they picked the absolute WORST time to release it - smack between CoD and Battlefield. It was the biggest facepalm of a release of an incredible game that I've ever seen - along with other doozies like of Rise of the Tomb Raider releasing the same day as Fallout 4 or Horizon Zero Dawn releasing just a few days before Breath of the Wild.

The launch date destroyed any chance of ever being a commercial success, which is a fucking shame because Titanfall 2 handily wipes the floor with the other FPS titles surrounding its release and boasts one of the most memorable FPS campaigns of all time. To this day I still think about "Effect and Cause," the masterfully designed 5th level of the game where you switch between two time periods in the same space. I had never seen anything like it in a game up to that point, and even though Dishonored 2 had a similar level, nothing else with a time shift dynamic has topped that level for me.

Titanfall 2 is such an INCREDIBLE game. It deserved to be a commercial juggernaut, and it very well could have been if they had just released it in a Q1-Q3 launch window...anything but Q4.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
The first game launched as an Xbox One exclusive in 2014, at a time when that system was notoriously not well liked and was getting trounched by PS4. That didn't really help establish the series.

Then the second one launched between Call of Duty and Battlefield I think, so just got buried.

Basically EA sent both games out to die - not sure what they expected.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the flaws but like many of the IPs sitting in the EA fridge there's insane potential that's being left to die there and it's frustrating.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
It's frankly too much all at once for a more casual audience. Apex does it better with the benefit of battle royale and f2p. Keeping the core movement, without too much complexity and level design.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I am still nostalgic for Titanfall 1. When it launched all my Xbox friends were playing all the time. There were so many new Xboxes authenticating with servers on launch day it actually brought sign-in services to Xbox Live down. Every night there were at least 6-8 people playing. It was so fun to hop in a party and play with a full team every night for months. Then Titanfall 2 came out and after playing so much Titanfall 1, 2 just felt wrong in ways I have a hard time quantifying which totally destroyed my desire to play. It didn't help it was sandwiched between two really big MP releases that were pretty good that year.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Again, it sold over 10 million. Better? Sure. It did very well just being on Xbox. 2 had the chance and didn't click. Being sent to die in a crowded time for FPS games doesn't help. Because it wasn't on PS4 for the first wouldn't be the reason 2 didn't survive.

TF1 - Great reviews, sold 10 million despite being an Xbox exclusive, TF2 announced about a year after TF1 releases = It was a flop because it was not on PS4?
TF2 - Great reviews, PC/Xbox/PS4, sold only about 4 million.

Exclusivity had nothing to do with it. Personally I loved 1, but it took me a VERY long time to enjoy 2. There was something about it that was such a departure from 1.