• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
To start things off, this isn't a thread meant to put Mega Man 11 or the rest of the other Mega Man titles under some sort of extreme scrutiny. While i've never dabbled much in the Mega Man series as a whole (Just random titles here and there), i've had a lot of fun with the characters that made it into other games. Such as Roll in Tatsunoko vs Capcom or Tron Bonne in MvC 3 (or both in MvC 2). Even with limited knowledge on these characters, their spotlight there was a lot of fun.

However, those characters don't fall into the Robot Master Category (With only Tron Bonne falling under the "villain" category). Looking into the wiki and some other areas it seems that Splash Woman is still the only Female Robot Master, which was introduced 10 years ago (Granted, this isn't a big issue since it has been quite the wait just for another new mega man game in general).

n2fjf.jpg

Is there a lore reason why the Robot Masters (The bosses Mega Man faces) are predominately male? Going by the wiki, there doesn't seem to be much mention of why this should be the case (Wiki Here: http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Robot_Master). Once again, I want to make it clear this isn't a thread to put MM in a odd position. The historic blue bomber and his numerous franchises are a important piece of gaming history as well as iconic and everything i've seen of MM11 looks like a neat take for the modern times. I just wanted to bring up this aspect since it sticks out to me. I feel like Mega Man as a whole embracing more Female Villains would be a welcome change for any series in the MM universe.

About other Media: With some more research i've found that the new Mega Man show contains both Hypno Woman and Blast Woman which I think is pretty cool. Even as its own universe, this is the sort of stuff i like to see. Aside from that there is also Quake Woman and Vesper Woman in the archie comics (While these aren't villains, it was still nice to learn about these two).

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I thought the whole lore of Mega Man universe was that all robots are just mechanical beings, and even if they look masculine or feminine, they are inherently genderless. Hmm, maybe I was wrong.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
It was disappointing to not see any in 11.

Also sad they didn't go for Honey Woman in 9.
hornet2.jpg

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that want to stick with "whatever" man and only changed it with Splash Woman because they wanted to use a mermaid design. It's dumb to not change that for 11 though.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Leviathan was the best alas Zero series is over.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Try the ZX series if you want more good and bad female characters. There's also that witch main villain from Xtreme 2.

Nov 20, 2017
The closest to a lore reason I can think of in a series that has been generally unconcerned with that kind of thing, is that Robot Masters are typically built for industrial purposes. Wood clearing, demolition, Arctic research. Generally male dominated fields.

The real life answer of course is that it's an action platform game first and you aren't supposed to think that hard about the implications of the classic Megaman world.

shoplifter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They probably didn't want to normalize violence against women, even if they are actually just genderless robot masters

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably just a case of the devs not thinking to go against the tradition of all the bosses being "Something Man" until someone actually pointed out the lack of women. Not sure why they didn't throw any into 10 or 11 though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably just a case of the devs not thinking to go against the tradition of all the bosses being "Something Man" until someone actually pointed out the lack of women. Not sure why they didn't throw any into 10 or 11 though.

Come to think of it. Mega Man's name is Rockman. But he shoots nerf pellets. His powerset has nothing to do with rocks OR music. What the hell, Dr. Light?

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Try the ZX series if you want more good and bad female characters. There's also that witch main villain from Xtreme 2.

Seems i'll have to take a look. Wonder if Capcom has any intention of porting these as well.

The closest to a lore reason I can think of in a series that has been generally unconcerned with that kind of thing, is that Robot Masters are typically built for industrial purposes. Wood clearing, demolition, Arctic research. Generally male dominated fields.

The real life answer of course is that it's an action platform game first and you aren't supposed to think that hard about the implications of the classic Megaman world.

Both points here definitely make sense. I know that bringing this up seems rather out of place.

That was on AVGN? I just had a flashback to seeing all those fan submitted Mega Man boss designs in EGM? Nintendo Power?

Here it is with the timestamp

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
It has been mentioned, but the Zero and especially ZX series are better at this.
The ZX games even having playable women.

Nov 11, 2017
You guys saying robots have no gender seem to be missing the point. Their names still end in 'Man'. They're still designed with masculine characteristics.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah. But neither of them have powers that match their names. What was Cut Man's name before he went crazy? Carl?
Nah, he's just Cut Man. The difference is that Rock and Roll are like Dr. Light's personal assistants/family, whereas the Robot Masters are designed to be industrial humanoid robots for specific purpose (until Dr. Wily came in and used them for his world domination plan). This is actually told in Mega Man 4's intro.

Oct 27, 2017
What, you already got one. Now you want more???

That's a joke. Having just one female robot master to check the box and say "yeah did that" is lame and cheap. Representation requires commitment.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Would love to see a Mega Woman game.
Both Megaman ZX and ZX Advent have the option for a female protagonist, and at least one of those is canonical (though which one depends on protagonist choice). Of course, in those games the term Mega Man is used for both male and female characters (and even for both good and evil characters), so I doubt they'll ever use the term Mega Woman.