• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
With the latest Windows update, it works fine for me. Its just the desktop that looks weird which is obvious because its sdr.

That's the part that's annoying - it basically means I have to toggle HDR on and off when I want to play an HDR game and after I'm done.

I wish you could set it up like consoles, where when you run a game with hdr compatability it turns on, and when you close the game it turns back off.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
That's the part that's annoying - it basically means I have to toggle HDR on and off when I want to play an HDR game and after I'm done.

I wish you could set it up like consoles, where when you run a game with hdr compatability it turns on, and when you close the game it turns back off.
It depends on the game. Shadow Warrior 2, Hitman, RE7, Destiny 2, AC origins, Destiny 2 and I'm sure plenty of other games auto switch HDR on and off same as console. It seems to just be windows store games and FFXV that require you to turn on HDR manually.

You just need to make sure your PC is set to 422 10bpc in Nvidia CP, or check "use default color" or whatever it's called. As long as you run games in exclusive full screen, HDR should turn on and off as intended

KingBean

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I run it to my tv without a problem. I think lol.
4:2:2 10bit limited 4k60 all set in nvidia control panel and it enable in windows. Looks good in FF15.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Whoops, I meant Forza 7.

Damnit, got my hopes up. :| lol

On a different note, is anyone able to get HDR from their PC when not using 1080p or 4K? For me, if I use anything in between, I cannot enable HDR, or if I do, the game looks incorrect. (This is on a OLEDC7 display.) I've tested this with every variation of 420 and 422 and no luck.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

On a different note, is anyone able to get HDR from their PC when not using 1080p or 4K? For me, if I use anything in between, I cannot enable HDR, or if I do, the game looks incorrect. (This is on a OLEDC7 display.) I've tested this with every variation of 420 and 422 and no luck.
I think we've discussed this before lol, but I can run games at 420 1440p and still get HDR. I used to be able to run 422 1440p and get HDR a couple updates ago, not sure what's up with that.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent

from what i can remember it's only 1080p and 4K so 1440p options are not possible. Games that have a res scaler can at least re-create a 1440p option but if I try it the screen goes a weird colour. Dunno who is responsible for this.
Also some games work well with it. Destiny 2 turns on HDR without having it on in the OS (though you lose the desktop when you quit the game and forces you to restart your PC annoyingly). So it can work fine but there is obviously more than one way to use it on PC and that's dumb.

I just tried with 420 12bpc Limited and with 1440p on the desktop my TV wouldn't even show a picture. Now if I use Default settings it works. *shrug*

Last edited:

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It depends on the game. Shadow Warrior 2, Hitman, RE7, Destiny 2, AC origins, Destiny 2 and I'm sure plenty of other games auto switch HDR on and off same as console. It seems to just be windows store games and FFXV that require you to turn on HDR manually.

You just need to make sure your PC is set to 422 10bpc in Nvidia CP, or check "use default color" or whatever it's called. As long as you run games in exclusive full screen, HDR should turn on and off as intended

Ah, good to know. FFXV was the first time I've tried it.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
I think we've discussed this before lol, but I can run games at 420 1440p and still get HDR. I used to be able to run 422 1440p and get HDR a couple updates ago, not sure what's up with that.

Slackbladder

Thanks. I'm not sure what the deal is. I've posted this on /r/nvidia and people say it works for them as well. Perhaps it's my display. Chalk it up to the thread topic, I suppose.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I have a Samsung KS7500 (8500 in US). The option for 1440p is actually 4k x 2k, 2560 x 1440p. My PC isn't seen as a PC input either. When I tried I couldn't get Game Mode to work.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's mainly just an issue of hardly any devs bothering with hdr support for the PC version. It does work fine for the most of the games there's support for.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah it's mainly just an issue of hardly any devs bothering with hdr support for the PC version. It does work fine for the most of the games there's support for.
I think that's overblown a bit too. There's really only a handful of games that are HDR on console but not PC I think. All of the big new games seem to feature HDR on both, you even have weird cases like Destiny 2 that had HDR on PC for months before consoles got it.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Barely any monitors support it and the ones that do carry a premium. Just wait it out a bit and the pc space will eventually catch up. While you wait for HDR console gamers get to wait it out for VRR support.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Slackbladder

Thanks. I'm not sure what the deal is. I've posted this on /r/nvidia and people say it works for them as well. Perhaps it's my display. Chalk it up to the thread topic, I suppose.
I once read something about HDR only being compatible with a fixed set of TV resolutions like 1080p and 4k. Maybe that might be it? I know that I can't get HDR to work if I use a custom resolution, but maybe it's because I'm trying to use a 21:9 resolution.

Nov 8, 2017
I have a blu ray drive in mine and haven't even used it yet. Can't I just use VLC, or is some company skullfucking us with proprietary drm that only works with specific applications?

If you want to play them as normal you will not only need some bullshit paid software like power dvd, you'll need to pay periodic update fees to ensure compatibility with future discs.

VLC can now read the video files from discs but no menus for you buddy. And that was only added like a month ago.

Most people just rip theirBDs to pc because that's free and less complicated

Oct 30, 2017
If you want to play them as normal you will not only need some bullshit paid software like power dvd, you'll need to pay periodic update fees to ensure compatibility with future discs.

VLC can now read the video files from discs but no menus for you buddy. And that was only added like a month ago.

Most people just rip theirBDs to pc because that's free and less complicated

Wow. That is the most ass backwards thing I've seen. Gotta protect those software cartels I guess.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
So decided to update Win10 to the latest creator update (whatever it's called.) It seems I can now leave HDR enabled within Windows, and things appear to be working OK from the several games I tried. Since you now have a brightness slider under the HDR config, the desktop doesn't look terrible anymore.

That being said, where as before games would display in a pink or green hue when using non-standard resolutions w/HDR, they now appear to display fine, only they are not full-screen. For example, if I'm playing a game @ 1440p w/HDR, My display (OLED C7P) is displaying the game, only it's taking up the space 1440p actually occupies. I've tried every scaling option in the NVIDIA CP and they all provide the same result. (TV has a zoom display mode I can use, however, it doesn't fill the entire horizontal space.)

Also, I manually set my color settings to 4:2:2/10-bit/limited. If I left it to use default, Windows resorts to using 8-bit.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
PC gamers spend thousands of pounds on high end PCs and getting the very best graphics. Then they play on tiny, poor contrast LCD monitors without HDR.

I don't get it.

Deleted member 16576

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PC gamers spend thousands of pounds on high end PCs and getting the very best graphics. Then they play on tiny, poor contrast LCD monitors without HDR.

I don't get it.

Ya know, I would have a rebuttal, but when I built a gaming PC I spent too much money on the PC and couldn't afford a decent monitor with great contrast.

Kan Swolo

Nov 29, 2017

I don't get it.
This and the gamers who have a 1500 dollar rig, but complain of back pain and ask for a nice chair under $100?

How yall gonna spend that much on a rig, but be afraid to break 200 for a monitor and 100 for a chair. Both of which affect you physically. Ya know, your eyes and your back.

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a mess. I couldn't get it to work right at all with destiny 2. I don't get why it's so hard to get right but it's just stupidly terrible on PC right now.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
So decided to update Win10 to the latest creator update (whatever it's called.) It seems I can now leave HDR enabled within Windows, and things appear to be working OK from the several games I tried. Since you now have a brightness slider under the HDR config, the desktop doesn't look terrible anymore.

That being said, where as before games would display in a pink or green hue when using non-standard resolutions w/HDR, they now appear to display fine, only they are not full-screen. For example, if I'm playing a game @ 1440p w/HDR, My display (OLED C7P) is displaying the game, only it's taking up the space 1440p actually occupies. I've tried every scaling option in the NVIDIA CP and they all provide the same result. (TV has a zoom display mode I can use, however, it doesn't fill the entire horizontal space.)

Also, I manually set my color settings to 4:2:2/10-bit/limited. If I left it to use default, Windows resorts to using 8-bit.
I'll test this when I'm home and can use my TV (LG C8). I still wonder if nvidia and AMD need to make changes to their drivers or not or if it's all on Microsoft and Windows.
I wish someone could explain why some games like Destiny 2 have HDR toggleable in the game menu without touching the OS whilst others require the OS to be on. Why can't everyone use bungie's solution?

With regards to monitors some prefer refresh rate more than anything. After getting a 100hz 21:9 monitor 100fps is so much nicer than 60fps. And for some it gets better. That said, once a 21:9 HDR gsync 100hz monitor is available I'll probably get one and make it my default display although my C8 OLED will still have the best overall PQ.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

I've asked about this same thing in several places now but somehow never got a response (I feel like not too many deal with HDR or something). I think it's Windows' way of getting HDR to work for other resolutions in exclusive fullscreen, by keeping internal res to native (3840x2160 for instance) and overriding scaling. Another new thing is Windows seems to switch to YCbCr automatically now when running HDR, so I can for instance keep everything in RGB full and not have to worry about HDR not working or wrong black output.

Also, HDR brightness is slightly different for me between before-update and after-update. I had to readjust brightness calibration in games like Battlefront 2 and Battlefield 1 for instance because my settings before the update were slightly darker now for some reason.

I'll test this when I'm home and can use my TV (LG C8). I still wonder if nvidia and AMD need to make changes to their drivers or not or if it's all on Microsoft and Windows.
I wish someone could explain why some games like Destiny 2 have HDR toggleable in the game menu without touching the OS whilst others require the OS to be on. Why can't everyone use bungie's solution?
Isn't everyone else, Windows Store apps/games? I don't have a lot of HDR capable games but I can only think of Final Fantasy 15 that also doesn't have an in-game toggle, but that has a Windows Store version too so probably shared code? I too wish games had an in-game toggle instead.

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017

I don't get it.
Call me when they make an HDR monitor that doesn't cost more than my PC. Preferably at 4k with VRR. Also 21:9 too.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
If you enable HDR in Windows and toggle it in game does that give you an accurate portrayal of SDR vs HDR? Because the difference is so dramatic it makes me think it's not displaying SDR correctly in game. It's a completely different color palette.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm sure we'll see way better implementation and support in the next couple years when HDR monitors are more widespread and affordable.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
You see the problem that I have with HDR is that HDR TVs are too big for may taste (Why can't I get like a 27"-34" HDR TV?) and there's no good 10 bit HDR Monitors that isn't using 8 bit+FRC to emulate 10 bit at the moment while the real upcoming real 10 bit HR monitors are costing way over $1000.

I really want to upgrade my 1080p TV to a 4K 10 bit HDR Monitor/TV but the current market makes it impossible for me.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Call me when they make an HDR monitor that doesn't cost more than my PC. Preferably at 4k with VRR. Also 21:9 too.

Honestly my mate has a £3,000 gaming laptop and he showed me GTA V on max settings running at about 90fps. I kept crashing because his monitor was so small and had such poor contrast (coming from my 55" OLED) that I couldn't see the difference between the road and a wall.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I had hoped that the April update would have fixed HDR on my PC but it's still all fucked. I turn it on and everything gets washed out and dark.

Alex

Oct 27, 2017
I have a nice HDR TV for my PS4 and its fine but I care about 144hz and gsync a lot more than I care about HDR.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

With regards to monitors some prefer refresh rate more than anything. After getting a 100hz 21:9 monitor 100fps is so much nicer than 60fps. And for some it gets better. That said, once a 21:9 HDR gsync 100hz monitor is available I'll probably get one and make it my default display although my C8 OLED will still have the best overall PQ.

This is holding me back right now. I mainly want an hdr monitor for movies more than games. It would be nice to be able to do both. Monitor manufacturers, GPU manufacturers and MS need to step up their game and get this resolved please

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly my mate has a £3,000 gaming laptop and he showed me GTA V on max settings running at about 90fps. I kept crashing because his monitor was so small and had such poor contrast (coming from my 55" OLED) that I couldn't see the difference between the road and a wall.
Holy hyperbile. I wonder how you manage to do any work on computers? You need to invest in some glasses, or contacts if you're self conscious.

no I'm not changing that, autocorrect has it right

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

I don't get it.
wut

We play in small screens in order to be able to play with keyboard / mouse. I sometimes stream to the TV in the living room via Steam.

And the "LCD monitors with poor contrast"... huh? I mean... I currently have a Dell U2515H. 25", IPS, 1440p. Is it small? Yes, and perfect for desk usage. Is it a bad screen? Hell no

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
I have a LG OLED C7 and HDR looks fine on the few games that support it (I can't believe that PC is the only platform The Witness doesn't have HDR on). Set some stuff up beforehand and you are good to go. I also recently found out that this TV can do real 120hz at 1080, which is awesome.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I own a B7 OLED and still prefer gaming on my Asus VG248QU because I love 144hz.
But the B7 surely has significantly better PQ and can also do 120hz at 1080p right? I too have a vg248qe and colors can look awful with certain scenes, the higher in hz I go up. I also primarily use it with the lightboost hack and PQ degrades even more there.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
But the B7 surely has significantly better PQ and can also do 120hz at 1080p right? I too have a vg248qe and colors can look awful with certain scenes, the higher in hz I go up. I also primarily use it with the lightboost hack and PQ degrades even more there.
I downloaded an icc profile and I don't think the colours don't look bad at 144hz. Obviously they don't come close to the OLED but it's never bothered me.

Tbh I was wrong to mention 144hz as being my reason for preferring the Asus. It's really just a matter of convenience. The OLED was bought as a lounge TV mostly for watching films and occasional console gaming. I hadn't intended to use it with my PC.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not getting the slider to adjust SDR brightness. HDR is enabled, my TV verifies it (Sony X900e), and the relevant info is displayed properly under "HDR and Advanced Color" but no slider. What am I missing?

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I have a LG OLED C7 and HDR looks fine on the few games that support it (I can't believe that PC is the only platform The Witness doesn't have HDR on). Set some stuff up beforehand and you are good to go. I also recently found out that this TV can do real 120hz at 1080, which is awesome.
I should try that with my LG C8. Bit of a resolution drop but playing Forza 7 or Destiny 2 @1080p at max settings and HDR and 120fps would be a treat on my tv. That said I have a Gsync 21:9 monitor @100hz for that kind of thing but even so I'm keen to try this out. HDR really can make a big difference in PQ though my Asus RoG PG348Q has decent colour but suffers from light bleed.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
There's a couple of things. There is really no defined standard for PC. In Windows, there's an HDR slider correct? When that slider is clicked to on, the OS sends data to NV, AMD or Intel drivers. The OEM drivers takes the data that is sent by the OS and translates the data into their HDR driver logic and sends the data back to the OS. There's tons of things going on during this process - modesets, link training, gamma ramp info...etc. The problem is, each OEM has their own driver logic to handle the data passed to and from the OS. The OS could send bad data to OEMs drivers or the other way around.

Until there is a definded standard, it will continue to play second fiddle to consoles - where I'm sure there is more of a defined standard.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I spoke too soon. After some further testing, Tekken 7 appears to mess with my color settings, and some games don't disable the HDR mode before loading. Looks like my hopes of just setting it and forgetting it are not going to happen. I give up with HDR on PC.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Looks like I spoke too soon. After some further testing, Tekken 7 appears to mess with my color settings, and some games don't disable the HDR mode before loading. Looks like my hopes of just setting it and forgetting it are not going to happen. I give up with HDR on PC.
Yeah, Tekken 7 looks really funky with HDR on like everything is at max colour and saturation. Perhaps a keyboard shortcut for the HDR W10 toggle would help?

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Windows 10 version 1803 is much better with handling HDR content than previous updates.

They also added an option to brighten up SDR content.

I'm not getting the slider to adjust SDR brightness. HDR is enabled, my TV verifies it (Sony X900e), and the relevant info is displayed properly under "HDR and Advanced Color" but no slider. What am I missing?

The April 2018 update. You can download it from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 if you don't want to wait for your turn in automatic updates.