Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, no. Even if we ignore the lack of venom serum he still had a ridiculous mask and a ridiculous voice, with almost nothing in common with the source material. Nolan basically included a character of his own making and called him Bane. Nolan's Joker was also completely different from the real thing but at least that was a legit good portrayal. His Bane was just bad all around.
I disagree. Having read stories like Vengeance of Bane, Secret Six, and Bane of the Demon, l noticed many parallels with Nolan's Bane and Bane from the comics. Again, Nolan did take liberties, but it's clear he researched the character and used elements that most would have ignored, such as Schumacher. I love this version of Bane because it went against the stereotypes attached to him. Just like Bane is reliant on venom, Nolan's Bane is reliant on drugs that make him more formidable, and he obviously still wears a mask, so there are similarities. I personally liked his voice. Visually, Nolan's Bane is fantastic as well and was even adapted to the comics.

d9dd4e54246c2987f5da852d80720e62.jpg

Bane-Takes-Gotham.jpg

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why people say that a more comic accurate Bane wouldn't work in the Nolan trilogy, that to me is just being sentimental and giving the trilogy more credit than it deserves. Bane in the comics has superhuman strength and there were implications that DKR Bane was too, punching through concrete. But as far as realism goes, the fact that this is a story about a vigilante dressing up as a bat it won't ever be a story grounded in reality the way Nolan wants you (the audience) to think it is.

Next is the fact that Bane is much taller in the comics and wasn't in the movie. Why would it be "unrealistic" for Bane to be taller? It's not like tall people aren't real. Then there's the fact that he's not a Latino. What is the excuse for that? He's half Caribbean-Latino in the comics so why would it be "unrealistic" to make it him that and instead fully whitewash the character?

Nolan's trilogy has absolutely the intention of being grounded in reality. And that reality is about introducing a set of characters from the comic books to an audience that probably doesn't know who most of them are, aside from Batman itself and the Joker. That is why you have an enourmous bat-tank and an equally big bat-wing.

Is it realistic? No, what comic-book movie is it?

As for your second point, is Bane's nationality revealed at all at Rises? I don't remember.

And Nolan wanted Tom Hardy in a role for this movie, that's why he was actually made taller through CGI I guess to match Bale's height (or almost match it).

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too well versed in Batman stuff outside of games and movies, but I really liked Bane in Arkham Origins, before he turns into the permanent hulk of the other Arkham games..

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Nolan's Bane. There were liberties taken with him, sure. But I feel like Venom is one of the most overused aspects of Bane in mainstream media in an attempt to make him appear comic accurate. Bane doesn't need Venom to be menacing or pose a threat to Batman. I'd take Nolan's Bane over Rocksteady's portrayal of Bane, for instance. In those games, he was just a dumb juicehead who was never a worthy combatant for Batman. In TDKR, he was cold, deadly, skilled, and smart, as Bane should be. This was one of my favorite scenes with him:

This man gets it. We already got the based interpretation of Bane.

So to all the people saying traditional Bane wouldn't have worked in Nolon's movie, the venom stuff I can understand, but what's the excuse for white-washing him?

Because Ra's Al Ghul was played by Liam Neeson and the idea is to make the audience believe Bane is his son.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Hardy Bane brought the required menace and cunning

If the barrier between a good portrayal is the luchador motif then he would not be a good character

Oct 25, 2017
Could you not ask the same about practically every Batman villain besides The Joker and maybe Catwoman?
Just watch Gotham for pretty darn proper versions of many villains

Joker - perfection
Penguin - perfection
Strange - perfection
Riddler - good
Firefly - great
Scarecrow - good
Mad Hatter - good
Zasz - perfection (but not accurate)
Freeze - perfection->ok

Oct 27, 2017
Arkham Origins Bane is the best so far. Looks good, is very smart, intimidating. He is much better than Rocksteady's efforts.

Hell I could say every single design and the art in general is much better than the rest of the series. Arkham Origins is the best Batman game for me.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Nolan's trilogy has absolutely the intention of being grounded in reality. And that reality is about introducing a set of characters from the comic books to an audience that probably doesn't know who most of them are, aside from Batman itself and the Joker. That is why you have an enourmous bat-tank and an equally big bat-wing.
Just because that's what Nolan intended doesn't mean the entire audience or even the majority will be sitting there to perceive it as such. It's a superhero movie like the Keaton Batman movies before it, just a reboot.

Is it realistic? No, what comic-book movie is it?
Exactly, so trying to "ground it in reality" will only work so far but after a certain point it's not going to believable simply by being what it is, a comic book movie.
As for your second point, is Bane's nationality revealed at all at Rises? I don't remember.
Not really, Alfred thought he was born and raised in the Pit which would've made him of Middle Eastern descent but it turns out that Talia was the one that was born and raised there. Bane just ended up there. If he was born there then his accent should've sounded like the rest of his inmates. It didn't.

Hardy did say that Bane's comic heritage played a part in the voice he developed, but that did not really reflect in his performance at all in my opinion.
And Nolan wanted Tom Hardy in a role for this movie, that's why he was actually made taller through CGI I guess to match Bale's height (or almost match it).
Which was also dumb. Dwayne Johnson in every way shape and form would've made for a more accurate Bane but Hardy was chosen because Nolan worked with him before and if he just chooses to work with actors because of familiarity then we'll never see what other actors like Dwayne, would perform as under his directorial vision so I don't like this excuse either.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think this + the style and tone of the movies. I dont think proper Bane works in the Nolan stuff, but tbh I could definitey see a comic accurate Bane in the DCEU. I mean hell look at how comic booky Batman is.

I'd like a proper Arkham asylum Batman portrayed on film, with the full rogues gallery.

Hell , just make a film adaptation of the game and be done about it.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because Bane is in general bad character design. He's supposed to be super strong and super intelligent but he looks like one of the many trash tier throwaway fodder characters that the superhero has to go through to get to the main bad guy. His design gains no respect.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Funny thing is Tom Hardy actually re-recorded his lines as Bane because the first time around to test screeners people complained you couldn't understand a word Bane was saying. The lines in the finished movie are the re-recorded lines, and even then his voice is hard to understand.
Worst part is, that you can totally hear that the voice is coming from the off.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mr Freeze was also reinvented from a C-tier into A-tier through TAS. Harley Quinn also counts as a villain, despite DC's recent attempts to rebrand her as some kind of antihero.

Harley is biggest example. 2000s villains?

I dunno man. I wish that robot from the The Batman cartoon that assumed very villian's personality caught on. He was dope.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First we got this bumbling abomination in Batman and Robin:

orginal-bane-batman-and-robin-08082012.jpg

And unlike Arnold Schwarzeneggar's Mr. Freeze, who was at least funny to watch and full of meme jokes, Bane was just awful.

Then we got Tom Hardy's Bane in Dark Knight Rises:

06f6db1d87955a6e79287818052dcd7885d627c7.jpg

"We give it back to you....the peeeeeeeople."

"You'll just have to imagine the fire."

What the hell kind of a voice was this? I could barely understand what Tom Hardy was saying half the time. I don't know why he did his voice like this when Bane isn't supposed to even sound like that. Plus he had no venom at all, so it wasn't true to the character.

How have we not gotten a proper Bane after all this time?
Well they made him too goofy in B&R
Nolan had to distance himself from that.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Bane kinda sucks even when done right,
Nolan's is the only time I legitimately liked Bane.
Not a Knightfall fan I see.

Hardy's portrayal was a joke and an insult to the comic book character. Not only is he a henchman of Talia, but the fights sucked. You could barely hear what he's saying. His character arc is non-existing. There wasn't any explanation how Batman could defeat him the second time, who was recovering from a broken spine.

Awful Bane.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was very strong, smart and kinda crazy in Rises. Also had a dumb mask and broke the Bat. It was a great adaptation of Bane.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. Having read stories like Vengeance of Bane, Secret Six, and Bane of the Demon, l noticed many parallels with Nolan's Bane and Bane from the comics. Again, Nolan did take liberties, but it's clear he researched the character and used elements that most would have ignored, such as Schumacher. I love this version of Bane because it went against the stereotypes attached to him. Just like Bane is reliant on venom, Nolan's Bane is reliant on drugs that make him more formidable, and he obviously still wears a mask, so there are similarities. I personally liked his voice. Visually, Nolan's Bane is fantastic as well and was even adapted to the comics.

d9dd4e54246c2987f5da852d80720e62.jpg

Bane-Takes-Gotham.jpg
whoa, this is before DKR? his outfit is exactly the same!

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
What was wrong with Bane in TDKR? To me he was the only thing good about the film.
Bane was never imposing nor intelligent. His master plan of taking out Batman was to use Catwoman to lead him into a trap; something an experienced Batman would never fall into so readily given his paranoia. Nolan doesn't understand these characters having no comic book background. That and he can't direct action fight scenes. The Joker worked because he isn't a brawler. Bane is.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017

Yeah, I totally forgot about Harley (I replied as such below that post). But, as with Bane, she got crossover appeal and subsequently got movie treatment (Suicide Squad would have never been made if it didn't have Harley in it).

Uh...Kite Man was reinvented if that counts

I've only followed comics tangentially since the 90s, so I can't tell if this is a meme or not...but if it's not, I don't think anyone outside of comic fans would know who Kite Man is. Pre-movie appearances, I would guess Joe Sixpack knew who The Joker, The Penguin, Mr Freeze, and Two Face were. I would guess that they would also know who Bane was, based on the media coverage of breaking Batman's back in the comics. I don't think anyone knows who Kite Man is. I don't know who Kite Man is.

I was just remarking that comics seem to have problems creating villains that catch on in the mainstream past the 90s.

But the more I think about it, the more I wonder if it's because all those old villains got TV show appearances in the old Batman show and Spiderman cartoons. So it's a chicken and egg problem.

But I still feel like Joe Sixpack would have known who Magneto was pre-cartoon and movies.

Deleted member 6733

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why people say that a more comic accurate Bane wouldn't work in the Nolan trilogy, that to me is just being sentimental and giving the trilogy more credit than it deserves. Bane in the comics has superhuman strength and there were implications that DKR Bane was too, punching through concrete. But as far as realism goes, the fact that this is a story about a vigilante dressing up as a bat it won't ever be a story grounded in reality the way Nolan wants you (the audience) to think it is.

Next is the fact that Bane is much taller in the comics and wasn't in the movie. Why would it be "unrealistic" for Bane to be taller? It's not like tall people aren't real. Then there's the fact that he's not a Latino. What is the excuse for that? He's half Caribbean-Latino in the comics so why would it be "unrealistic" to make it him that and instead fully whitewash the character?

I disagree. Batman's toolkit was based on current or emerging (feasible in near future) technology. Whilst the film wasn't 100% believable, having a hulking beast jacked on chemicals would have been a step too far. I think they done a great job with Hardy.

Yeah, it would have been nice if he was taller and maybe Latino but the guy got cast because he clearly showed in auditions that he was what Nolan was looking for.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bane in TDKR was a great villain, to the extent that I wished he had nothing to do with Talia or Ras on a personal level and stood alone as a villain. I hated the twist at the end. He should have just been a damaged, charismatic man who took control of the remnants of the League to bring vengeance against Gotham. No child of Ras, just a man who escaped from the pit, intelligent, deadly, forcing a challenge and trying to prove a point about the haves and have-nots.

Unlike dealing with Joker, I don't really get how Bane changed Bruce in any appreciable way. Woke him out of his death wish, I guess?