• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I started to become a RWBY fan around 2016-2017 starting with volume 4 and I got pretty into it and have been keeping up with it overall. Over the years, I've seen a lot of hatred towards the series in many places, even on ERA not too long ago. So it got me wondering, why is RWBY hated so much? Don't get me the wrong, the show is pretty flawed as nothing is perfect but just why does RWBY get so much hate?

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
writing is terrible.

series is incredibly overrated. I'm not quite sure what it has to offer besides the action.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people probably blame monty for ruining RvB or something. Also seems pretty generic, animation is wierd cgi etc.

Not my position, just a guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible writing.
Weird low budget 3D animation that looks like it was made in a mid-2000s videogame.
A billion anime cliches.

It's a product of its time. Now we have Source Filmmaker and people are putting together stuff that looks better than the wonky RWBY animation and aesthetic which looks like machinima (thus, Red vs Blue connections being extra apparent.)

I don't want to shit on Monty's legacy too much considering what it started as, but the show looked truly awful sometimes.

JJha6Gr.gif

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Well, while I have enjoyed RWBY, it definitely has it's rough spots (especially early on, whew at Volume 1) and can be cliche as hell. Still, I am impress on how much it has improved in quality overtime, with Volume 6 being by far the best and most rounded season yet.

Last edited:

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Think people's criticism is reactionary to other people's compliments; if you watched it blind only knowing it was pretty much one man's weeb fantasy project you'd at worst dismiss it as mediocre.

That being said the fact it was one man's weeb fantasy project is the reason I think it's aight

Last edited:

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Monty was an amateur animator, and that meant that he had his own unique self taught style that he grew on his own.

Rooster teeth always were just a small group of people trying to make webseries that people could enjoy online. Everyone knew it was low budget, but monty had the talent to make things people enjoyed and wanted to make a project he was fantisizing about.

So even if you want to say the writing is terrible, the characters are bland or formulaic, that's frankly irrelevant to what RWBY is.

I know that and i'm not even someone who has been following it past season 2.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I found it very insipid and tropey. The animation is bad too. I could sacrifice only one between bad aesthetic or bad writing, but there's no reason to watch if both are bad.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I've only watched it during the Twitch marathon but it kept me entertained. It's not the greatest show out there, but I didn't find too much to hate about it. I don't really mind jank if it starts out that way. If it goes from high quality to some jank like OPM S1 to OPM S2 then I'll complain.

Oct 25, 2017
The animation in early seasons was very difficult to stomach. It took me being a captive audience (I was on a ride out-of-state, and the dude I was riding with played it on his phone for me) to finally get into the show. It's dumb, harmless fun, until Season 3's finale :((( and I found the characters to be really endearing.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
The writing, animation, artwork. It's all bad. But hey, at least it's not Dead Fantasy.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
At the start I hated the bloom and certain voices. But they fixed some of that. So I like it now. The premise and designs were always the good parts to me, but the slow pacing can make it drag.

I think Gen:LOCK greatly improves upon even current RWBY.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Turned to shit when they decided to completely change the tone of the show in season 3 for no good reason

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
If nothing else, RWBY has spawned some great soundtracks.

I've always enjoyed the show though, it's nothing earth shattering or even something I recommend to friends, but it's enjoyable to me even if I don't really have much to say about it. The story is pretty dumb as far as these things go, but the world does feel fleshed out, and I enjoy seeing more of it as a result.

Oct 27, 2017
I started to become a RWBY fan around 2016-2017 starting with volume 4 and I got pretty into it and have been keeping up with it overall. Over the years, I've seen a lot of hatred towards the series in many places, even on ERA not too long ago. So it got me wondering, why is RWBY hated so much? Don't get me the wrong, the show is pretty flawed as nothing is perfect but just why does RWBY get so much hate?
What's RWBY?

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I've tried about 8 times since it first aired to get into it with no success. I was there when episode 1 dropped, watched the hype trailers and assumed the season would be more of that. What I got was not that. What I got was something I can't really decipher. I made it 6 episodes in before deciding I couldn't do it anymore.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Everything about Adam, everything about Blake, Ruby doing absolutely nothing in seven years.

I have seen every episode of RWBY for god knows why and I have to say, outside of season 3 and like the first half of season 6, the show is utter dogshit.
Also: Everything about Jaune, Salem and her council of evil don't seem like they're doing anything other then "be evil."

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Is it really hated though? Outside of a few bubbles I get the impression that the fandom for the series is still strong though it mostly revolves around the likability of the characters.

People still lost their shit when Neo was announced for BBTAG

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The characters are good, everything else isn't.

It's bad when Arcsys plot is better writing than the source material. And LOL at a Sleepless Domain (webcomic that I'm surprised isn't more popular on this board) avatar two posts up given the creator of that's rants on RWBY.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually never understood why people liked it in the first place. Had to watch 2 seasons with my back then girlfriend and hated every minute of it. It just looks so so bad, like how can someone like the visuals at all? And how the story unfolds and the behaviour of some characters... yikes.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Examples of bad writing?

Spending an entire season building up a supporting cast and then dropping them instantly

Bringing back an old villain just to kill him off anticlimatically

Implying one of the major characters is somehow morally corrupt and then never doing anything to show why people view them that way

Abandoning whole plot threads for seasons at a time, remember when Dust was a major driving force of the plot?

Relationships from out of nowhere to seemingly please shippers and nothing else

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
It's meant for people who want to watch an endless Tales of.. cutscene without any of the gameplay lol.

If you ain't enjoy the Tales of series for their canned/stiff animations and anime writing, you probably won't enjoy RWBY. I enjoy the tales of series but not that much, so I could never get into rwby.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
After season 3 the show took itself way too seriously. Stopped watching in the middle of vol 4 or 5.

But Weiss is best.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, the series is well liked overall. You cite era but this is a website that in honestly hates more than 50% of popular media overall

May 13, 2019
The only places where I've seen genuine RWBY fans are sites like Tumblr and Know Your Meme. Everywhere else the show is held in variant degrees of contempt.

Oct 30, 2017
Terrible writing.
Weird low budget 3D animation that looks like it was made in a mid-2000s videogame.
A billion anime cliches.

It's a product of its time. Now we have Source Filmmaker and people are putting together stuff that looks better than the wonky RWBY animation and aesthetic which looks like machinima (thus, Red vs Blue connections being extra apparent.)

I don't want to shit on Monty's legacy too much considering what it started as, but the show looked truly awful sometimes.

JJha6Gr.gif

I cannot believe this is a real show 😂

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Terrible writing.
A billion anime cliches.

JJha6Gr.gif

I say WOOF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
It's generic... it's like a 15 year old kid's fanfic that suddenly got a lot of attention. But I don't hate it - it's just not for me. I'd probably think it was cool if I were 20 years younger.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
There are various reasons people have issues. A lot of people didn't like the early animation of the series (which has since improved). Some don't like the story beats because they're too simplistic (usually this is chalked up to tropes). Others who liked the show originally don't like the changes in the story direction and fighting scene style since the death of the creator.

The reality is that the show isn't horrible. It's just not ground breaking. There's really no reason to hate it, though not liking it for whatever reason is fine too. But the internet is a place where opinions are often expressed in extremes. Love or Hate with very little inbetween. Or at least the inbetween don't get as much attention.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
How you have a show where the character designs are better than the show? It really pisses me off. I watched the show up to Vol. 5. At that point I had to stop trying to convince myself this show was still worth a damn. Oh god that season was turrible

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
The first season looked like a straight up ps2 cut scene and ghe stuff beyond that was just boring. Tried to get into it when a coworker recommended it but...just wasn't for me I guess. The video a few posts above hit the nail on the head for me

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I've always felt it was fine, though I suppose it's an indictment in and of itself that my favorite thing about the show is the music.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Is it? Seems people just think it's corny and obviously produced out of a garage in Austin.

Last edited:

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Because its CGI. You see the same complaints about full CGI and partial CGI animes.
It looks terrible but not just because it's cg. The dragon prince looks bad but it's watchable. Same for the shitty looking cg anime on Netflix whose name escapes me (it's about people with powers and one of them is sort of a terrorist).

It's two fold distasteful. The cg is ugly but also the design and aesthetic itself just rubs me the wrong way. It reminds me of what people think of as stereotypical horrible deviant art stuff.

Clearly there are a lot of people that aren't bothered by how ugly it looks and have found value in the show. Even the YouTube video in this thread is made by someone who, despite dumping on the show, has watched all the seasons to completion. There are people itt that site much deeper problems than the aesthetic, but to have such insight you have to have watched the show. Unless you like punishing yourself, on some level you like it.

I can't go into issues of pacing or hanging plotlines because every time I've attempted to watch this garbage I couldn't take more than a few minutes.