• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
So, we did have this thread earlier and this one too and well, we have a boom of indie games trying to recapture the feeling from SNES, Megadrive and NES days but as I can see we didn't have the same thing for PS1 and N64 nostalgia.

At this point I believe my generation grew old enough to be indie game devs and trying to release games on the market but I just don't see the works reflecting the games from that era.

And it's not like the fifth gen was something unimportant from video games history, hell, I would say it is the most important one ever. PS1 imo is the most important console together with NES and the first one to break the 100mi mark in hardware sales, we had Squaresoft on the golden days, Final Fantasy VII was immense and really influential, japanese publishers like Konami, Capcom and others were on fire, we had Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Crash... Well, many many games, many success stories and cult classics. Hell, Nintendo 64 had Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, two of the most important games of all time (some people will tell you that Ocarina is the best game ever, it isn't that rare to see people saying it).

So the importance and popularity of the mid to late 90s is there and we don't have that kind of games because is harder to do it with small teams or am I just wrong about the subject?

Although some 2D games look really hard to do and people still make it anyway, like Cuphead per example.

Anyway, I'm really nostalgic with PS1 games and would love to see more love and more games with low poly aesthetics but they didn't seem to get some kind of spotlight. It would feel really good too, some PS1/N64 games ran with really slow framerates (like Ocarina of Time, 20fps) and today we would get 60fps in those kind of games without much problem on modern hardware.

Also, tell me about low poly indie games that I maybe let slide.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
We have some, but they are far and few between. Mostly because this style looks like absolute rubbish in comparison.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
I can't offer you examples right now but I have been seeing more games in the style of Saturn and PS1 games coming out as little pet projects and commerical indie games in recent history, I think more and more developers are going to pick on the trend as time goes on.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
SNES sprite art still looks good today. PS1 low-poly doesn't. Plus emulating it means forcing shimmering textures and dancing vertices which really adds to the annoyance of it.

And lastly, the main reason indie devs use pixel art is because it's fast and cheap to make. These are 1-3 man teams usually. Low poly art, including rigging, texturing, lighting, etc. is all way more time-consuming.

Oct 25, 2017
People probably don't want to do a ton of work to make a bad looking game on purpose.

I don't think there's a big demand to return to the era of 3D graphics where you can barely tell what shit is supposed to be.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Developing 3D games is actually really hard. 2D games are pretty easy by comparison.

I'm more confused as to why indie titles consistently use such low-quality pixel art. I don't expect them to have Disney quality animation, but why must everything look so chunky and blocky? I presume high-resolution art isn't that much more expensive than low-res.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe because 3D modeling, rigging, texturing, and animating a 3D model is more work and harder to do than making sprites. Anyone can understand how to paint something in Photoshop, it's a lot harder to learn a 3D program.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
The early days of 3D graphics looked horrible, and even back then people realized it. People were more excited about the possibilities opened by 3D than the quality of the graphics. Pixel graphics have charm, but the PS1-era 3D doesn't. I suspect not a lot of people miss that 3D style these days.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
The pixel art direction is probably a lot more about the amount of work and cost than a purely stylistic choice. If you don't go pixel art, it takes a lot of work to get out of the "this looks like a flash game from newgrounds" zone.

OP
OP
newtonlod

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
SNES sprite art still looks good today. PS1 low-poly doesn't. Plus emulating it means forcing shimmering textures and dancing vertices which really adds to the annoyance of it.

And lastly, the main reason indie devs use pixel art is because it's fast and cheap to make. These are 1-3 man teams usually. Low poly art, including rigging, texturing, lighting, etc. is all way more time-consuming.
It doesn't need to be a 1:1 copy and you can use modern tech too. As I said, Ocarina of time ran at 20fps and the games today could run confortably at 60fps.
Astroneer is more modern than PS1/64 but looks very good and is low poly for example.

Also, this GDC video is really interesting imo:

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wasn't there that mgs 1 inspired game? That looked great

Always be sneakin' i think it was called

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
There's some being made. One I relatively enjoyed from a few months ago was the indie horror title, "Helltown":

Helltown on Steam

277E8818F0B7707371188DDCA16B5441C5BD9C82

ss_4b80cdb7eda6dd28da68b388cd90b30437c946be.600x338.jpg
ss_35bc376179b9558c2aefc9ca9d7e985a3de941f1.600x338.jpg
ss_0bd082884e19c4125726291365ddc3a702e33295.600x338.jpg
ss_deab437e3921d0e143aa75e601c3b442e55ee22d.600x338.jpg

I liked it personally.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we'll ever get people trying to hard to imitate exactly what those games looked like but there is some great low poly stuff

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
PS1 quality assets with modern systems and techniques at 1080p > would be gorgeous.

Thinking about all my favourite games from the past 2 generations in with the low poly assets of MGS1 generates some great aesthetics.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We shouldn't judge games, or the difficulty to create (good) games, based on their choice of 2D or 3D.

Helltown looks interesting!

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree strongly. Good SNES-era pixel art is timeless, while PS1 (and most PS2) games aged very very poorly. It's like hand drawn cartoons and early 3d cartoons.

Theres a very small selection of snes titles i would actually think still look ok, one of those titles is Star Fox. It runs like garbage but it looks pretty good.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Back in 1995 is the first one I've thought of, but as people have pointed out in this thread there are plenty of others.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
btw, speaking of that type of games, I would recommend to look at Ace of Seafood (it's currently available on PC, PS4, and Android + announced for Nintendo Switch).

G36Jpqu.png

It's a sort of spiritual successor to weird Japanese games on PS1 and Sega Dreamcast.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
not enough Snes, genesis inspired indie games on the market. PS1 era poly just isnt something most people want to see in modern games.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
We have some, but they are far and few between. Mostly because this style looks like absolute rubbish in comparison.

Nah son, I love that style and I want more of it.

I came to post Vaccine. The difficulty of the game is too random but otherwise I really like the game and the art style. Such a massive love letter to RE1.

Please gaming industry, do more of this type of thing!

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017

I think people (at least I) want the style emulated without the issues. Clean lines, few polygons, don't go crazy on texture filtering, etc. You don't need to ignore perspective correction.

saltybeagle

Banned
Jan 20, 2018
Opinions and everything, but I'm guessing most of the people craving that look grew up with a Playstation as their first video game system and are blinded by nostalgia.

dankhael

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe because that the more real you want to make your game graphics, worse they will age, take mortal Kombat for example, its a 2D game, but aged bad compared to Toon style games like super Mario World

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Opinions and everything, but I'm guessing most of the people craving that look grew up with a Playstation as their first video game system and are blinded by nostalgia.
Not I, my parents were adamant while I was growing up not to play video games. I wasn't given a console until the Gamecube/Dreamcast by my grandmother for a birthday of mine (she got them cheap from a neighbor who's kids moved away and their games), yet I've come to like the PS1 style going back to it way after the 360/PS3/Wii era was long underway.

I can understand of course some won't like it, but don't assume all those that do are just for nostalgia. There's merit to different art forms/styles and what they can provide. For horror it can add a lot in the way you don't always at a glance know what you're looking at for example, which does actually add to it if done right and imagination fills the gaps. That's just a very basic example, though.

DynamiteCop!

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
They've got to correctly emulate the texture warping from PS1 era.
Not really, affine texture mapping was only an issue with the PlayStation and not indicative of the technology at the time. The Saturn used quadrilateral rasterization instead of triangles which allowed the system to have straight lines and unwarped 3D environments.

Oct 27, 2017
I love low poly 3D, but it's pretty obvious why it isn't a go-to graphical style like 2D sprites.

I thought there'd be more devs aiming for like PS2.5 graphics where you can get a good clean look without having to go nuts with detail. Something like Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
There's been some examples lately like Strafe and Dusk, and low poly models with unfiltered low resolution textures can look great when done right, but as people said it still requires a bit more work and finesse in making it look good.

The upcoming Ion Maiden looks like an interesting example of using old technology and limitations but pushing them to modern standards.