• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
The fact that i reckon that there are also other factors, even though I think the lack of competition is the main reason, doesn't mean I changed my argument or that it's dumb just because you disagree.
Maybe i missed it somewhere else in all the pages, but i'm still wondering what your stance is, cause at the moment it seems you're not really replying with your own view on the matter and only attack my opinion because you clearly disagree that the lack of competition is a (major) factor.
lack of competition is a flawed argument cause we have 1st hand evidence that most people that own a Switch (at least in USA) also, own another console (or PC)
Mat Piscatella, an analyst for the NPD (the organization which keeps track of sales data for gaming in the U.S. market), recently revealed via a post on ResetEra that the vast majority of U.S. Switch owners also have either a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One in their possession. The exact number is actually about 70%.

so just because within the machine machine itself "there is no competition" Does not means that people dont have anything else to choose from.

meaulnes

Oct 27, 2017
It is just a different strategy that works well for Nintendo. Similar to how Apple prices its products or how Lego manages its inventory yearly rotation (less obvious in this case as there are more sales at retail). One important aspect is that this type of strategy needs to be applied to the product portfolio as a whole, even when for some particular games they could get better results with deeper and earlier discounts; but that would go against the overall strategy.
See also the similarities between these companies in how second hand market works and even collectors/enthusiast market.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Yeah one of the things that holds me of from purchasing a Switch. Also the controllers are ridiculously expensive.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
lack of competition is a flawed argument cause we have 1st hand evidence that most people that own a Switch (at least in USA) also, own another console (or PC)

so just because within the machine machine itself "there is no competition" Does not means that people dont have anything else to choose from.
That certainly is an interesting fact, but it's not proof at all. It's just proving that 70% of Switch owners also play on another console. That doesn't change the fact that when these 70% of Switch owners decide to buy a game on the Switch they have mainly Nintendo games to choose from (when talking about AAA games).

But let's just agree to disagree regarding my argument. Why do you think they are able to keep the price so high for so long?

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Because their customers will buy it anyways and even defend it
I mean yes, that how this work, if people keep buying at full price, the prices wont drop.

But I dont think they care about people defending it.

That certainly is an interesting fact, but it's not proof at all. It's just proving that 70% of Switch owners also play on another console. That doesn't change the fact that when these 70% of Switch owners decide to buy a game on the Switch they have mainly Nintendo games to choose from (when talking about AAA games).

But let's just agree to disagree regarding my argument. Why do you think they are able to keep the price so high for so long?
I dont think people decide to buy a game "on the switch". People just decide to buy a game so, they do compete against other games.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo puts a ton of effort in to maintaining value of their brands and trying to avoid the race to the bottom ohter companies take part in.

Honestly, the rest of the industry could maybe have learnt a lesson, rather than the various other ways they've tried to make up the cash instead (including but not limited to the online pass last generation, various other horrible lootbox schemes this one)

Oct 26, 2017

When people are choosing to buy a game, they're not looking to solely buy a game for just one system, at least most aren't. They're looking at all the available options they have on whatever systems they own and pick and choose what they prefer or want to play

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
It's not heinous. The term anti-consumer has lost all meaning. The choice is there not to buy their products. It's a luxury good with a stable price point. There's nothing egregious they're doing unless they're actually still price fixing. It's as valid a business plan as dramatically reducing the price of a product.

Anti-consumer does not mean a business decision you do not like, how do people not get this by now.
Last I heard Ubi are doing OK financially. I've spent less than £30 on Switch games on the 9 months I've had it whereas I spend at least that every month on my ps4.

So? You're one of the people their strategy works less on but they believe there aren't that many more of you that it is worth chasing you and it clearly seems to work. Ubi has success with a different strategy but they also put out 1 AC game a year and people want the new one while Zelda BoTW will sell until the next platform arrives. They are in completely different situations.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They consciously learned their lesson from the GameCube and GBA era. A lot of their major titles fell to ~$10 toward the end of that era and it must have stung them something fierce.

In the Wii and DS era, Iwata made it clear that they were holding strong on their MSRP and it has effectively trained people not to wait for a sale that will never come.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Almost 14 million copies of zelda botw sold at full msrp is big profits. Thats why their titles sell multi millions for full price for years its why they keep the premium prices they kinda are the apple of gaming i guess.
BOTW staying $60 is fine.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe staying $60 is fine
Super Mario Odyssey staying $60 is fine

Kirby Star Allies launching at and staying $60 is nuts

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
I dont think people decide to buy a game "on the switch". People just decide to buy a game so, they do compete against other games.
When people are choosing to buy a game, they're not looking to solely buy a game for just one system, at least most aren't. They're looking at all the available options they have on whatever systems they own and pick and choose what they prefer or want to play
That certainly could be the case, it's a fair argument. The question then is how many of the games Nintendo sells are bought by the 70% of people that also play on other consoles vs. the other 30% (those percentages are from the US market, not sure about the rest of the world) :-)

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
An interesting question that no one in this thread has given a good answer for.

It's not only because "Nintendo games are premium so they command higher prices", even their shitty games stay high years later.
It's not because "people keep buying Nintendo gaemz so no need to lower prices", even their bomba titles are still expensive, and on their lowest selling consoles like the Wii U and Gamecube. Often non-Nintendo games on their platforms stay expensive as well.

I think it's a factor of many things, like the fact that Nintendo's games have far less competition on their own platform, and Nintendo having a good supply chain management, enforcing a policy of not discounting to the bottom, etc.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's a deliberate sales technique. And it works. Nintendo games are basically the only games I'm willing to pay full price for precisely because I know they'll rarely be cheaper.

I get this is a real thing as I've seen other people mention it, but I always find it personally strange. I guess I see a game and will always ascribe a certain amount I'm willing to pay for a game. Like I might get tropical freeze if it hit 20, but I'm not gonna suddenly go out and get it at full price or a weak sale because it rarely goes on sale. I could maybe see it if you're just talking about waiting just a few months as many games can be gotten for around half off just a few months after release.

For me, it just seems to works the opposite of encouraging me to get the game, but clearly their system works, so I can't really say anything.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
well for me I see their games as worth full price even 5 years later.... their games hold value for that long... it's not like Assassins creed which was basically every year releasing a new one... or online games which also have yearly installments... when you buy a nintendo game you're usually sure to be getting the most recent installment even if it's a few years later.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I get this is a real thing as I've seen other people mention it, but I always find it personally strange. I guess I see a game and will always ascribe a certain amount I'm willing to pay for a game. Like I might get tropical freeze if it hit 20, but I'm not gonna suddenly go out and get it at full price or a weak sale because it rarely goes on sale. I could maybe see it if you're just talking about waiting just a few months as many games can be gotten for around half off just a few months after release.

For me, it just seems to works the opposite of encouraging me to get the game, but clearly their system works, so I can't really say anything.

See, my thought process here isn't ascribing a mental value to any particular game, it's "I want to play this; what's my best option here?"

For most games, it's "Wait a few months and get it for half price." For Nintendo games, it's "well, shit".

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
because the consumer expectation is already there for spidey to drop in price significantly like a month or two after release.

Nintendo games don't have that expectation for better or for worse and once they let it slip they'll lose it probably forever. So what would incentivise Nintendo to let it slip?
There's already a bit of grease by way of some recent-ish games with large discounts, like Sushi Strikers.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
In the absence of the sort of major 3rd party support Sony and Microsoft see, Nintendo titles make up the vast majority of $60 games worth playing on their consoles. This allows them to maintain premium pricing as they generally aren't competing against all those big/prestige AAA games that are constants competing platforms.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Just gotta learn to work the deals. Unfortunately GCU is coming to a close so that'll hurt but I managed to nab Kirby Star Allies over the weekend for $35 after GCU discounted the sale price of $49.99 down to $39.99 and I threw a $5 reward certificate at it.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I have a similar "problem" with Doom for Switch. I played it on PS4 and enjoyed it pretty much. I'd like to rebuy it for the Switch, but not at >50 bucks, while the PS4-version is sold new for around 15-20..

So, I'll probably just wait until Doom Eternal drops for Switch and buy that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven't been able to play Doom due to not owning any platforms that it released on prior to the Switch release, but man it stings to see Doom regularly on sale on the PS4 and XBO for $20 and still holding strong at $60 on the Switch. Man I want to play that game. :/

Same goes for Diablo.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Because they don't have to?

I'm sure it works well for them but it means i will never buy a game on Nintendo unless its exclusive. i always know ity will be chea sojk and probbaly look better on the ps4

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Diablo III has gone on sale in the eShop at least twice since I got my Switch in November. I got it for $39.99 CDN.

Not a fan of digital software. If a game is available in cartridge form I'll always prefer to purchase it there. The only games I buy digitally are those that aren't available in any other form. (Unfortunately this bites me in the ass when games later get physical releases...looking at you Sonic Mania grumble grumble.)

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
Not a fan of digital software. If a game is available in cartridge form I'll always prefer to purchase it there. The only games I buy digitally are those that aren't available in any other form. (Unfortunately this bites me in the ass when games later get physical releases...looking at you Sonic Mania grumble grumble.)

It is a little disingenuous to say you "haven't been able to play" a game when it's a choice you're making.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Asking for more than eight of their games to go on sale for a bit more than once per year is not demanding a race to the bottom.
You can ask, they don't have to answer. They have some set times in the year when they have sales (like near E3).
At the same time, you don't have to buy if you dislike the prices and can either save your money and spend it on something else.

I haven't been able to play Doom due to not owning any platforms that it released on prior to the Switch release, but man it stings to see Doom regularly on sale on the PS4 and XBO for $20 and still holding strong at $60 on the Switch. Man I want to play that game. :/

Same goes for Diablo.

If I were you, I'd wait until Doom Eternal, too. I mean Doom is worth the 60 bucks. But compared to the alternatives on other consoles, I wouldn't want to pay that. Even if I hadn't played the game.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Because they can get away with it and any criticism made against them will be handwaved. It is what it is.

Honest question: why should a game go down in price just because it is an older title? It's not like they are going to expire.
Just gotta learn to work the deals. Unfortunately GCU is coming to a close so that'll hurt but I managed to nab Kirby Star Allies over the weekend for $35 after GCU discounted the sale price of $49.99 down to $39.99 and I threw a $5 reward certificate at it.

Follow Slickdeals. Wait for eshop cards to go on sale for 15% - 20% off. Combine with offers like the two games for $100 promo.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Because their customers will buy it anyways and even defend it

Yeah... there is a LOT of this going on in this thread.

Honestly, there is really limited software available on switch that I want aside from first party stuff, and Nintendo just seems to know that. It was the same with WiiU. I'm not fucking biting this gen though. I'll just wait until they all go Select.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Because people will complain, but still open up their wallets anyway.

"Nintendo's online service is garbage, but I gave them $20."

"Ports of old games shouldn't be full price, but I just bought DK for full price."

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
They consciously learned their lesson from the GameCube and GBA era. A lot of their major titles fell to ~$10 toward the end of that era and it must have stung them something fierce.

In the Wii and DS era, Iwata made it clear that they were holding strong on their MSRP and it has effectively trained people not to wait for a sale that will never come.
I think this thread has reached peak of how fundamentally wrong people can be.

You want to rephrase that last sentence buddy? The first sentence was on point and then you ruined your argument.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
You can ask, they don't have to answer. They have some set times in the year when they have sales (like near E3).
At the same time, you don't have to buy if you dislike the prices and can either save your money and spend it on something else.
Or I can be critical of them not wanting to support their older games that don't sell anymore and could use the good vibes, better word of mouth, and increased interest/sales that they would bring. Their total lack of DLC sales and this whole thing where they price bundles with no discount for getting both at once that are just their to force people to buy it up or shut up. I don't intend to shut up about it. There's no reason to paint criticism as being counter to anti-crunch desires and demanding a race to the bottom when they barely do anything to begin with.

I don't think there's a large enough sample size to say they have set times for sales. They had a New Year's sale during the first week of the year that is probably the only time those games will go on sale and that's been it for 2019. Maybe we'll get an E3 sale like last year, but that could easily not happen. Nintendo's not one for consistency with regards to their sales.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think this thread has reached peak of how fundamentally wrong people can be.

You want to rephrase that last sentence buddy? The first sentence was on point and then you ruined your argument.
Wow. That's some passion. What's wrong with that sentence? People are used to saying "I'll wait until it falls to $20" on most video games, but when you know how pricing on Nintendo games work, you simply don't have that expectation. Nintendo has created this expectation very carefully, so people aren't waiting for sales.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. That's some passion. What's wrong with that sentence? People are used to saying "I'll wait until it falls to $20" on most video games, but when you know how pricing on Nintendo games work, you simply don't have that expectation. Nintendo has created this expectation very carefully, so people aren't waiting for sales.
People are enjoying sales on Nintendo games a lot. Just step outside of reset or gamefaqs and there is a larger world of people saving a decent amount of money in not paying full price for Nintendo games.

Nintendo doesn't do permanent price drops. Nintendo does do temporary sales and the more popular the game is the more sales it gets compared to less popular games that came out within the same time frame.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People are enjoying sales on Nintendo games a lot. Just step outside of reset or gamefaqs and there is a larger world of people saving a decent amount of money in not paying full price for Nintendo games.

Nintendo doesn't do permanent price drops. Nintendo does do temporary sales and the more popular the game is the more sales it gets compared to less popular games that came out within the same time frame.
Retailers might rarely do their own price drops to clear out stock (a problem they rarely have), but Nintendo themselves does not slash price on games unless it is a literal Player's Choice-style discounted copy or a special Black Friday sale where they knock off $20. That is the difference.

Notice how you see bargain bins full of games from Ubisoft, Bethesda, first party Microsoft and Sony... and you never see Nintendo games in there. Nintendo games are not absent there by some accident. It is Nintendo holding the line on their pricing on purpose.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Retailers might rarely do their own price drops to clear out stock, but Nintendo themselves does not slash price on games unless it is a literal Player's Choice-style discounted copy or a special Black Friday sale where they knock off $20. That is the difference.

Notice how you see bargain bins full of games from Ubisoft, Bethesda, first party Microsoft and Sony... and you never see Nintendo games in there. Nintendo games are not absent there by some accident. It is Nintendo holding the line on their pricing on purpose.

Those sales are not rare and the majority aren't at clearance prices. Retailers have so many different contracts with suppliers that I can guarantee many of them aren't making a sale without Nintendo having some type of input on it, usually in the form of setting a floor what price a game can hit when it does go on sale.

Nintendo games avoid the bargain bin but the still frequently make the covers or inside pages of the "this product is on sale at our store" circular. The least popular games from Nintendo while not hitting the bargain bin will be put into the clearance sales section.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Here's my perspective on it. Lets say I go to a stores wine section:

In there you're going to have your cheap few £ a bottle wines that aren't particular great; however you also have your much more expensive Aged Bavarian Port. The Latter of which is valued higher due to its quality and the work put in by its creators. Now apart from alcoholics, I don't see anyone saying "THIS PORT BEING EXPENSIVE IS ANTI-CONSUMER"; seems more like a videogame only thing fed on by rampant devalue-ing, which also goes on to hurt developers by extension.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Those sales are not rare and the majority aren't at clearance prices. Retailers have so many different contracts with suppliers that I can guarantee many of them aren't making a sale without Nintendo having some type of input on it, usually in the form of setting a floor what price a game can hit when it does go on sale.

Nintendo games avoid the bargain bin but the still frequently make the covers or inside pages of the "this product is on sale at our store" circular. The least popular games from Nintendo while not hitting the bargain bin will be put into the clearance sales section.
Notice how we're starting to say the same thing? Nintendo controls the prices, keeps them high aside from tiny 20% off special occasion sale (ie Black Friday) and true retailer clearouts of their product are incredibly rare (ie Animal Crossing Amiibo)

That goes back to my original point, that people don't wait for Nintendo games prices to crash before they buy them, if they know what's going on. Someone can probably buy TLOU part II or Gears 5 for $20 a year after launch, but anyone waiting to do the same for Mario Odyssey even 5 years after launch is a fool. Consumers know this and it is part of how Nintendo trains the consumer to not bother to wait.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Notice how we're starting to say the same thing? Nintendo controls the prices, keeps them high aside from tiny 20% off special occasion sale (ie Black Friday) and true retailer clearouts of their product are incredibly rare (ie Animal Crossing Amiibo)

That goes back to my original point, that people don't wait for Nintendo games prices to crash before they buy them, if they know what's going on. Someone can probably buy TLOU part II or Gears 5 for $20 a year after launch, but anyone waiting to do the same for Mario Odyssey even 5 years after launch is a fool. Consumers know this and it is part of how Nintendo trains the consumer to not bother to wait.
No we are saying very different things.

You say they are rare and happen on special events like Black Friday and Memorial Day.

I'm saying the frequency of sales differs based on how popular the game is. I will find BOTW on sale every month on the other websites I frequent with other bargain hunters. I won't find Arms on sale nearly as much despite it coming out only a month later after that game. I've already seen more Spaltoon 2 sales and Mario Odyssey sales than Arms sales.

While these popular games go on sale for 20-30% off frequently the less popular games when they do go on sale see a 40% or even almost a 60% temp sale as Sushi Strikers recently experienced.

Nintendo uses a different sales strategy from the games industry in the console and mobile space.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Asking for more than eight of their games to go on sale for a bit more than once per year is not demanding a race to the bottom.

Are you actually reading the thread? That's not what people are talking about, like at all. The majority of people are saying "other platforms have games at half price after a few months, Nintendo's games remain at full RRP even after years, this is unfair".