BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Honestly their best series are best of the worst and re:view, both of which focus on low budget b movies/instructional videos and the classics. Half in the bag is a show that I agree they could really use a female and/or a minority voice to point out their sometimes tunnel vision white/rural viewpoints.

Oct 31, 2017
Imagine spending my time watching mediocre white dudes give shit hot takes like "little kids don't care about representation in movies" with full confidence

their takes are for sheltered white guys, by sheltered white guys. Fuck that bullshit

sophora

Oct 29, 2017
I dig the recent re:views just for the random production tidbits they throw in. Most YT reviewers just do the movies and don't go over production of things and want to put their own reaction to things than how something was executed.

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
I'm convinced they and Mr. Plinkett ruined movie criticism and it all started with the Star Wars prequel trilogy reviews. Thankfully I've never been a fan.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh trust me, there's a vocal minority on ERA that craps on every thread that would pop up outside of the Hangouts thread (which is why those threads don't really happen anymore, mission accomplished).

Personally, I don't always agree with their reviews, but their videos are always entertaining. They say fucked-up shit every once in a while, and people are free to criticize them for that.

Oct 28, 2017
They could definitely use a woman in the mix again, that seems to be their biggest blindspot.

IIRC, Jessie copped a bunch of harassment from weirdos and decided to stay off camera so, who knows where they're at with that.

RLM's shtick is more or less equal-opportunity mockery. They're cynics. They just as easily mock the crowd who ascribe meaning to the representation of women in big-budget blockbusters as they do to the people who complain about it.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, they refused to mature and so did whatever audience they might have now, when I bailed out it just felt like mediocre guys holding a grudge about not getting their big break and that permeated all their work.

The víctim complex some of their fans have are an accurate reflection of the channel.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I mean really, I feel like the fact that they haven't been as obviously regressive doesn't have anything to do with their views, but just them self-censoring themselves in fear of some controversy coming out. Without some sort of apology over their previous content that doesn't mean anything.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Their Star Wars prequels, Star Trek 09 and Indiana Jones 4 videos will always be on point.

I don't agree with their takes on pretty much anything else and they have brazenly courted the alt-right segment of their audience with their racist, anti-feminist and anti-"SJW" rhetoric masquerading as Gen X cynical apathy.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly their best series are best of the worst and re:view, both of which focus on low budget b movies/instructional videos and the classics. Half in the bag is a show that I agree they could really use a female and/or a minority voice to point out their sometimes tunnel vision white/rural viewpoints.
The mainstream reviews feel like clickbait videos now for their other content, for better or for worse. It clearly works at least.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
To me, their "edgy" humor reminds me a lot of what my band used to engage in with each other while on tour. The idea wasn't that we thought the offensive stuff was the truth or legitimate, it was more about making each other laugh by seeing how far we could go. Not saying that's what they're doing, but to me, the just seem to have a degree of cynicism toward everything, left or right.

The majority of the people in this thread using the Plinkett or some Half in the Bag Reviews as their only frame of reference and admitting they never watched the channel don't really have the full picture that comes from watching their other material to come to a more nuanced opinion. Best of the Worst and Re:View are where the meat of their popular content is, and from it, you can see why people enjoy the channel.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
They do get shit on here, have seen them referred to as trump nazis which is ridiculous. Sure these guys can sometimes spout some non pc shit, but they seem like genuinely good dudes who in the same vein are film snob assholes. Love em.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They could definitely use a woman in the mix again, that seems to be their biggest blindspot.
Or they could work on their blindspots and outdated beliefs. Women ain't gotta fix the man, that's outdated too. I'm sure they have women in their lives who they've learned from or maybe not and continue their own regressive nonsense.
They do get shit on here, have seen them referred to as trump nazis which is ridiculous. Sure these guys can sometimes spout some non pc shit, but they seem like genuinely good dudes who in the same vein are film snob assholes. Love em.
"Genuinely good" either you know them personally or this is the parasocial relationship working its wonders.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
Or they could work on their blindspots and outdated beliefs. Women ain't gotta fix the man, that's outdated too. I'm sure they have women in their lives who they've learned from or maybe not and continue their own regressive nonsense.

"Genuinely good" either you know them personally or this is the parasocial relationship working its wonders.
Nah just what I've seen in interviews and videos, they don't come across as fellas with bad intentions or harmful beliefs. I don't need to know them personally to have that opinion. Thanks though.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC, Jessie copped a bunch of harassment from weirdos and decided to stay off camera so, who knows where they're at with that.

RLM's shtick is more or less equal-opportunity mockery. They're cynics. They just as easily mock the crowd who ascribe meaning to the representation of women in big-budget blockbusters as they do to the people who complain about it.
Yeah a lot of their "hot takes" are just them being cynical about the reasons behind a studio's choice. Did Sony make an all-woman Ghostbusters remake because they want to forward women in media, or because they thought it would make more money that way? If Disney cares about their gay audience, why are the only gay characters in the background in an easily editable-for-foreign-markets scene?

They make these points in exaggerated ways, but I don't think they're bigots

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel a lot of their worst takes come from Half in the Bag, which I overall find a pretty mediocre modern film review show.
Their true strength, imo lie in Re:View and Best of the Worst. More unique and positive content in a lot of ways.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
This thread is relevant to my interests.

They are the Fox News of internet critics so I've been wondering as well why we are still pretending they aren't alt right pieces of literal garbage.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Tbh the only instance I can think of is maybe their Force Awakens review where they went on an embarassing spiel about 'forced diversity' or something, I might be misremembering.

The odd time I do catch a RLM review now those sorts of views aren't as present. I would wonder now if they're anyway embarassed by the stuff they said in the TFA review. However I'll say that I just don't watch their reviews of Star Wars or Marvel anymore cause it's repetitive and I don't really care about those movies, so I've probably missed a lot of that stuff.

Really like that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory review they just put out, I think at this point they're best when the drop the cynic shtick and actually talk about shit that they like.

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is relevant to my interests.

They are the Fox News of internet critics so I've been wondering as well why we are still pretending they aren't alt right pieces of literal garbage.

This is the most hyperbolic thing. I know I'm not gonna change your opinion so I'm not even going to try, but equating them to alt right mouthpieces like Fox News is absurd.

With that said, their captain marvel intro review was pretty embarrassing. They were coming across as incredibly condescending and sexist in that, but otherwise I feel like they push the envelope with edgy humor and that's just not gonna appeal to a lot of people. I don't get the impression that they're promoting any kind of alt right views because I don't think Patton Oswalt or McCauley Culkin would appear in their content if they did; but if you're tired of the cynical critic online, they might be grating at time.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching around the time TLJ and Thor Ragnarok came out, when they were more interested in trashing the fans of the movies instead of actually reviewing the movies themselves.

Jan 10, 2018
I've watched every single video they've posted, as well as some of the early stuff from when they were teens. What ultimately draws me to them is that they for the most part transcend the facade that the industry tries to put up with its hype cycles, publicity stunts and dishonest attempts at politics. When Mike talks about Star Wars conventions being like political rallies for grown ups acting like children, I can kind of relate. You sometimes feel like you're the only sane person and that everyone has been caught up in a cult. You're just watching this spectacle in front of you and wonder why no one reacts. Their Best of the Worst episodes are the best source for this perspective as they often include movies where producers and directors exploit people for their own benefits. It's a glimpse at how shameless and bizarre humanity is, which in itself becomes a big joke.

To me they are similar to what Giant Bomb is to gaming. Sometimes you just like to hear the opinions of people who don't scream at trailers and throw their money at the screen. People who are honest about what they actually feel and don't have to act to keep a straight face. It's nice that we have both I guess but personally I always lean more towards the cynical stuff.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I feel like they get exactly as much shit as they deserve. Their old stuff hasn't aged well, there's topics they clearly would be better off shutting up about, but they can be genuinely insightful or funny. They are problematic mostly due to ignorance or a refusal to engage explicitly on a political level. All due criticism to them on all of that.

But that still puts them so far ahead of the Joe Rogans and Jeremy Clarksons of the world.

Basically where I'm at and also why I've pretty much stopped watching most of their stuff. They refuse to learn or grow and continue to speak ouy their ass as white "centrists."

The only person who actually continually grows and evolves his views is Jack and he grew up on a farm. Also not surprising he hasn't showed up much recently.

Oct 26, 2017
We had a thread in 2019 about what pieces of shit they are. If anyone can read through that thread and tell me the critiques are overblown, they didn't intend to be racist, sexist, or transphobic---as if that matters at all---- then I don't even know what to say.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
how are their dumb ass takes on representation at all different from Fox News going on about Santa Claus & Jesus being white?
I guess we would need specifics and context for that kind of comparison... I haven't seen anything close to Fox News takes. Their sarcasm runs pretty deep.

But again, maybe I've missed their more controversial stuff.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
We had a thread in 2019 about what pieces of shit they are. If anyone can read through that thread and tell me the critiques are overblown, they didn't intend to be racist, sexist, or transphobic---as if that matters at all---- then I don't even know what to say.
Fair enough, I guess I'll have to read through that thread. I'm relatively new to them and have seen little of their stuff, which seemed harmless.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
This is the most hyperbolic thing. I know I'm not gonna change your opinion so I'm not even going to try, but equating them to alt right mouthpieces like Fox News is absurd.

With that said, their captain marvel intro review was pretty embarrassing. They were coming across as incredibly condescending and sexist in that, but otherwise I feel like they push the envelope with edgy humor and that's just not gonna appeal to a lot of people. I don't get the impression that they're promoting any kind of alt right views because I don't think Patton Oswalt or McCauley Culkin would appear in their content if they did; but if you're tired of the cynical critic online, they might be grating at time.

I dropped out at some point when it became obvious what their views were outside of the exaggerated characters they portray in the scripted content they publish. I didn't notice them taking on the fandom menace, the toxic Trek or superhero communities at any point, they are pandering to that audience and doubling down on the criticism of supposedly forced diversity.

Them being cynical as hell was what made the channel attractive in the first place, they are very selectively cynical these days which is putting it nicer than they deserve.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
The only person who actually continually grows and evolves his views is Jack and he grew up on a farm. Also not surprising he hasn't showed up much recently.
Jack got a job at The Escapist which cut down on how often he would show up on Red Letter Media, plus you know there's the whole pandemic thing which probably further limited how often he wanted to appear on the show.

Oct 27, 2017
The comedy is SOOOOOO bad!

And it goes on forever, with pacing so slow I started wondering if they knew what website they're on.

I get the shtick of nobodies dunking on professional movie makers, but man was I shocked when I watched my first video of theirs and had to constantly be skipping forward, in large chunks.

If your humor is going to be shit at least give it quickly without pompous self-fellating. One of those bubbles I somehow avoided completely and now I'm dumbfounded by how they are so popular despite being nothing but boring old white dudes who have problems with women and feminism. Just a slog to watch. I would always rather watch that much of an actual movie than some flapping gums yammering for 60 minutes with C tier comedy sketches phoned in. Yowza.

No one wants old white dudes trying to be edgy. Name me an old edgy white dude who keeps pushing buttons on social topics who isn't a piece of trash. If you're not trash you don't try to be edgy by discussing the same aggrieved white male anti-PC shit we've all seen for 30 years. That's not edgy, it's pandering. To other shits. Better to condemn in a funny way.

Can I see links to them denouncing trumpism, and discussing how those evils will impact people and the films they make? Or do they want to never take a political stance, make Rogan-esque jabs at vague boogeyman of the left, and cash their checks? Why would I want to contribute to the checks of cowards?

Last edited:

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Honestly don't watch them for their long form reviews (I think I skipped the Captain Marvel one alltogether because I just didn't care about the movie OR their opinion on it), but the "best of the worst" series is quality entertainment.

So I can't comment on all of their "questionable" shit, but I've seen a lot of older stuff that certainly doesn't age well. Never really thought much of it aside from that.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Jack got a job at The Escapist which cut down on how often he would show up on Red Letter Media, plus you know there's the whole pandemic thing which probably further limited how often he wanted to appear on the show.

He was absent before the pandemic. Also, Jack has always had a primary job. RLM was just a fun side-gig, so any new jobs wouldn't be a reason why he doesn't show up anymore. It seems far more likely he's just outgrown their dated views.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I'm not even sure if I'm judging here, I'm very curious though. I've been rewatching a bunch of their videos, and they repeatedly (and I mean VERY repeatedly) go off about, and these aren't my words, "the gays", "midgets", "females", "the mentally challenged" (not sure anymore if "retards" are on the table also, they have an entire "storyline" about forcing characters into a gay wedding, which turned out as funny as you'd expect, and it just doesn't stop. They also don't get tired of implying social justice warriors in production messing with movies and similar types of criticism, be it fair or not, I don't know.

That said, they have some episodes where they sort of make fun of the "stop putting females into my movies"crowd as well, but how honest is it really is you do the same jokes a week later.

So, since there's a sizable movie and freelance movie critic fanbase on Era, what are the thoughts on this? Am I completely wrong here and it's all just in good fun?
www.resetera.com

A Critique of Red Letter Media’s Bigoted Content (See Staff Post)

For years now, RLM has been given a pass because people find their content entertaining. Despite multiple instances of blatant sexist, racist and anti-progressive rhetoric, they remain widely referenced and enjoyed by ERA. When folks bring up their problematic commentary, it's often ignored or...

glad others see it too

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
I was a big fan of the Prequel take down and then Best Of The Worst until a poster I respected pointed out how shitty the misogyny bits from the prequel skits were and then a trans game journalist I follow was upset at a trans joke they made on BOTW and so I dropped them entirely years ago.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
He was absent before the pandemic. Also, Jack has always had a primary job. RLM was just a fun side-gig, so any new jobs wouldn't be a reason why he doesn't show up anymore. It seems far more likely he's just outgrown their dated views.

From what I've seen, he's just busy. Jack has his hands in a lot of pies, and Escapist stuff takes up a LOT of his time lately. He's said that he still likes doing the shows but just hasn't been available for a lot of filming lately.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That thread was full of people capping for them, and poorly at that. No one successfully argued that the OP was wrong; they all came off as stans reflexively defending their faves.

Shyranui

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
If they are not racist and sexists they sure keep doing racist an sexist 'jokes'. They are not good critics nor they are funny. They are the definition of mediocre. Maybe they're not intentionally malicious but their intent is not represented in their content and it only helps to normalize a lot of bad ideas.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Any value their critical insight had basically died the moment they described the villains of Get Out as "not being typical obvious racists, but instead being so not racist that they came around to being evil again."

Like... what a monumentally stupid fucking take that was.

It's been a while since I've seen Get Out, but isn't that sort of the central theme of the movie?

Instead of the villains abusing black people on racist ideological grounds, it is instead due to systemic racial economic equality. They are liberal elites who pat themselves on the back for rejecting racist ideology while still supporting an economic system of de facto racial oppression. I took it as Peele's takedown of the "post-race" attitude that enjoyed some popularity after Obama's election.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
But they did say little kids don't care about representation in media.

Kids do care though.

So now let's ask: 'Who are they trying to lie to/protect by saying kids dont care about that stuff? To what end?'
They seem to view it as the same as any other executive meddling into movie production. They think if these choices are being made for reasons outside the movie itself, then that is going to drag down the creative vision of the movie. I disagree with them here, but it is something they're frequently concerned about through different angles.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah you're right Red Letter Media always has been a side job for Jack and if you look at Jack's twitter feed he appears to be doing a ton of work for the Escapist since he started working for them, plus he talks about how they all had to self isolate to have Jack on the last episode of Best of the Worst he appeared on:

I imagine we'll see more of Jack when the pandemic is over, he seemed pretty excited to be on the show again.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
I can't think of anything less interesting than watching white middle-aged contrarians complain about video games, movies and how the world is changing