• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
America gets excoriated in every possible thread about their stupidity and their civil rights abuses, etc.. And rightfully so! American has a deeply flawed political system and a social culture steeped in racism and cruelty.

But very rarely is that same energy directed at China's countless civil rights abuses, India's insidious prosecution of its Muslim populations or the myriad other examples we could toss out there?

Am I tripping or is just kind of the cool thing to generalize and piss on Americans around here?

My feelings are hurt.

never

Oct 28, 2017
As an American I know enough about how awful my society is to be able to shit on it. I don't feel that confidant in my knowledge of other societies.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
IT18qdf.jpg

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Well, it's a forum full of mostly people living in the United States, and since its founding we have had one of the worst presidents in US history.

That other countries deal with problems is not news, but that we deal with such dumbfounding and avoidable problems here is always worth noting.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This board is mostly from the US, therefore it makes sense that America is the focus. Could also related to expectations. Nobody expects communist dictatorships like China to be a bastion of human rights, but we expect better from democracies.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
America has a habit in getting in other countries' business (whether right or wrong) all while not having its own shit together as demonstrated by the past 4 years.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
The majority of users here are American.
So, they're shitting on their own country, as you usually do.
Idk about you, but when I browse boards from my country, most threads have titles like: "we're idiots", "only in our country would this happen", "this country is corrupt" etc, etc...

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Same reason why most threads are created assuming those reading it are American.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I barely know any Chinese people who are actually proud of the stupid things that China does. Plus this website is western focused

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
literally first world problems

i cackle myself everytime i see americans posting how usa is some kinda of distopia

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
We have the resources to make the world and our own lives better, but we choose not to over and over again.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's more Americans here than any other demo. Trashtalking requires an audience. Otherwise its just "yeah right! I agree with you" which doesn't create engagement.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
It's also worth noting that even while "piling on the US", I've never seen a person from this forum defend China's government.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Americans are most familiar with our own propaganda so can tell how full of shit we are.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I care to know more about how my own country is doing when I'm directly affected, we need to protect ourselves before we can protect others. And right now the US is a fucking shitshow and a half.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Majority of the forum is American my dude.

Same reason why if there is a "who is the greatest athlete of all time" thread you best prepare yourself for for 16 pages of NBA and NFL discussion as though the rest of the world doesn't exist.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The vast majority of the English-speaking internet is run by and populated with Americans. Era is no different in that regard.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
1: The US is supposed to be the world leader and super power,

2: the US media dominates the world

3: and this forum has a lot of Americans that know little about the rest of the world or just don't care unless it aligns with their American agenda.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Part of it has to be our tendency to proclaim ourselves to be the most righteous nation on earth. We also tend to minimize the horrors we cause and wave them away as necessary.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Obvious answer which I fail to believe you couldn't think of is it's primarily Americans on the board and thankfully ones who recognize what a joke this country is.

Oct 27, 2017
Part of it is deflection. We can drag the US up and down over something like racism but as soon as you mention, say, France, then will come the cries of "REVERSE RACISM" and how you can't paint a whole country with broad strokes.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
We're just big news I guess? I mean we're all up in everyone's business and the whims of one dumb president could damn the fortunes of smaller countries?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Another thing is that we're in a period now where Americans are realizing that who they elected actually matters to their daily lives. It's not just a conversation during Thanksgiving.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Because the forum has a giant American presence who knows more about American issues and can do more to change them.

Aug 2, 2018
I wouldn't sweat it most of it is hyperbole anyway. Most here would have you think it's literally Escape from LA type situation. (But it's not)

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
USA has some shitty things it needs to sort out, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, despite its faults it's still the greatest country on earth. Doesn't mean I can't shit talk the bad stuff every now and then, I like to keep ole lady liberty honest

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
America gets excoriated in every possible thread about their stupidity and their civil rights abuses, etc.. And rightfully so! American has a deeply flawed political system and a social culture steeped in racism and cruelty.

But very rarely is that same energy directed at China's countless civil rights abuses, India's insidious prosecution of its Muslim populations or the myriad other examples we could toss out there?

Am I tripping or is just kind of the cool thing to generalize and piss on Americans around here?

My feelings are hurt.

I imagine it's because America is touted as the country of unparalleled freedom and democracy that its hypocrisy feels more blatant? I have no idea.

I was born and raised here, so I feel like I can't speak for other countries way of doing things. I feel like it's not my place to throw stones at those countries when my own is such a shitshow right now, especially with Trump and his administration actively undermining true progress.

I'm wholly ashamed of this country, and disappointed and disgusted by the apathy and selfishness of its people. All I can do is try my best to enact change, but it's disheartening.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Paying mind to oppressive dictatorships also legitimizes them, something Donald Trump doesn't understand. If someone is murdering his own people for example, you don't even look them in the eye.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
This is a US centric forum so most a large number of posters probably dont know about things going on outside of the states and dont want to comment in depth.

Plus, there's also seems to be some twisted schadenfreude at play too. It's easy to ignore the flaws in your own country when you can make fun of another country's problems.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you want America to change, you can point out its problems and encourage Americans to vote/organize.

What point is there in criticizing countries that'll never hear you or listen to you, or may not even have open elections? Very rarely, a minor anglo board like this one can cross the language barrier and gets in touch with another non-english forum but its usually to laugh at each other or exchange jokes. There is almost zero chance of catalyzing change with your "Modi sucks!" post.

Status
Not open for further replies.