• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
So it has been pretty much confirmed now that the PS5 does not support 1440p output, at least not at launch.
I realize that 1080p and 4K are the resolutions most screens and TVs have nowadays but there has still been a substantial amount of people asking about 1440p support in the past weeks, which leads me to believe that it is a highly requested feature. XBOX will support and has supported 1440p output even "last gen", so that also goes to show that people care about this.

The reason I opened this thread is:
Why does Sony seem to not care about this (albeit small) share of the market? Many games on PS4 Pro for example run at 1440p anyways and I am assuming some performance modes for PS5 games will as well. It also can't be in Sony's interest that the PS5 will downsample from 4K to 1080p only for it to be then upscaled to 1440p by the screen again? Wouldn't it be better, even on a technical level, to just downsample to 1440p outright?

Sony's silence on this leads me to believe that there is some reason other than "they just didn't get to it yet". What could that be? Something technical? Do they just want to sell 4K TVs?

Edit: Okay, so most people seem to be answering "it's not a priority" or "not enough people have 1440p screens". But then it is also not like they need to "engineer" anything for 1440p output, as far as I understand it is something they could just enable easily. Doesn't make sense not to, even if not many consumers actually care.

Edit2: We get it, it's only a tiny niche amount of consumers who want 1440p. Assuming it would take Sony next to no effort to implement it, why wouldn't they?

Last edited:

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Because they have TVs to sell. But also because like you mentioned, it's a small share of the market.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Sony is about the living room, essentially, which means pretty much just supporting TV resolutions. That's about it. And, honestly, the amount of 1440p users is extremely small in the grand scheme of things.

And yes, while some people will bring up that some 4K TVs support 1440p at 120hz, that's still not a standard TV resolution.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
They think people only play on TVs and not monitors and that's why they don't care about support 1440p.

Sony is also making 4K TVs and they want to sell more of them.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they just considered it a niche hardcore feature that most people won't actually use, hopefully they'll patch this feature in the future.
No need to go into the "what are they hiding" territory.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Sony is about the living room, essentially, which means pretty much just supporting TV resolutions. That's about it. And, honestly, the amount of 1440p users is extremely small in the grand scheme of things.

Nailed it.

They'll probably be able to add it in later, but it's easy to see why it hasn't been a priority.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
The vast majority of people play their consoles on TVs, and 1440p is not a TV resolution.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PS5 seems to lack a lot of video output options at the moment. I am hopeful they had 1440p support when they patch in the advertised/promised VRR and 8K support.

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
Sony tv market share is small compared to other brands, so "they want to sell 4k TV" is not a valid point really
They simply don't care.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
They can still not care about monitor and just give the fucking option. No one is giving up on a TV for a monitor, they don't compete at all.

Sony deserves to get all the shit for this baffling decision.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They think people only play on TVs and not monitors and that's why they don't care about support 1440p.

Sony is also making 4K TVs and they want to sell more of them.
They're not wrong. The vast majority of their customers, by a massive margin, are going to be playing on TVs which support 1080p/4K. They have limited engineering resources. Dedicating time to building 1440p support probably just doesn't make the cut for important launch features.

People saying "OH WELL THEY CAN JUST DO IT ANYWAY" still don't get that engineering resources are finite and when you have 10 other more important things to deliver that more than 0.5-2% of your user base would use, you work on those instead, and 1440p just doesn't get done. Unless a PM with a soft spot for 1440p support just happens to be working on prioritizing system features.

Microsoft gets the benefit of developing the XSX/XBO OS on what is essentially a branch of embedded Windows, which already brings support for things like PC resolutions.

I doubt "Sony wants to sell TVs" is a factor.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I realize that 1080p and 4K are the resolutions most screens and TVs have nowadays but there has still been a substantial amount of people asking about 1440p support in the past weeks, which leads me to believe that it is a highly requested feature.
That's your mistake basically. It's a fraction of this place, which is already a tiny fraction of their userbase. It sucks for folks with a 1440p monitor, but it's not at all a significant thing.

OP
OP
Kotze282

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
They can still not care about monitor and just give the fucking option. No one is giving up on a TV for a monitor, they don't compete at all.

Sony deserves to get all the shit for this baffling decision.

Yes. The consoles are rendering so many applications at 1440p internally anyways, so it's not like they need to "engineer" 1440p output first, right?

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony was the only company selling 4K TVs, I'd buy that as an excuse. This just feels like this was something they weren't interested in having at launch. Keep pushing Sony, and I'm sure it'll be added in a firmware update.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Because the majority of console gamers are either using 1080p TVs or 4K Tvs.

Because a bunch of very competent designers sat down to plan the design of the PS5, and crossed it off the list as an edge case not worth supporting.

Because three years from now most of PC gamers will be using decent 4K HDR monitors and QHD will be a half-step from the past.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Massive omission, imo. Of course you can explain it from a corporate perspective, that doesn't make it ok.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Almost certainly more people will be playing on 1440p than 120hz TVs, which does make the order of prioritization slightly odd.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It's another profile/scenario to test, and I do understand the desire to streamline their own working environment, even if it's annoying as heck for my setup.

(I personally consider it a big shortcoming because of the 120hz support this gen, but devs and the platform-holders are already covering a lot of ground)

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
My understanding is that many PS4 Pro games actually play at 1440p in things like Digital Foundry tests. So have I essentially only been playing in 1080p on my 4K TV?

There's a difference between the game's internal resolution and what's being output on your screen.

This is a daft oversight by Sony, sure it doesn't impact the majority of those playing, but it's still a nice feature to have and I can't imagine it would have been too much of a hassle to implement if your console already recognises a number of resolutions?

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I have a 4K TV but I would have loved to hook my PS5 up to my high refresh 1440p monitor.

Is this something that can be patched later on or are we pretty much out of luck?

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Because the majority of console gamers are either using 1080p TVs or 4K Tvs.

Because a bunch of very competent designers sat down to plan the design of the PS5, and crossed it off the list as an edge case not worth supporting.

Because three years from now most of PC gamers will be using decent 4K HDR monitors and QHD will be a half-step from the past.

I have my doubts. I think there will be a gradual shift but the vast majority of PC gamers would prefer to push graphical effects and higher frame rates over a 4K image. 1440p is really the sweet spot on a 27 - 32 inch monitor.

There's a reason 1080p was the norm for many, many years.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I bet there are more people who want Knack 3 than there are who want 1440p as a supported output. I'm one of them. So, Sony, please make Knack 3 and forget about this 1440p nonsense.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's TVs don't support 1440p either.

They don't give a fuck as a whole. Might be some kind of bizarro company-wide mandate.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's another profile/scenario to test, and I do understand the desire to streamline their own working environment, even if it's annoying as heck for my setup.

(I personally consider it a big shortcoming because of the 120hz support this gen, but devs and the platform-holders are already covering a lot of ground)
No it's not. This is only about output display resolution, not anything the game is doing. It doesn't affect game developers at all. 1440p is part of the HDMI specification. This is Sony actively deciding to not support this.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
They might if people ask often enough. I have a 1440p/120+hz monitor so it would be nice to check out the PS5 running on it. I would totally understand if it wasn't a top priority, and I know there's things I really would like to happen before it (like using external HD with PS5 games for cold storage).

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Is adding that option "difficult" in terms of implementation or are they just not ticking a checkbox on the software end?

I mean I get that they want to their consoles for the living room but cmon its 2020. More video out options are not a bad thing. I mean most Playstation owners don't own their expensive as shit TVs either. Who do they benefit? Lol.

One "CON" for Sony and Playstation for sure. No reason not to support it when your main competitor does.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I call bullshit on people saying it's because Sony wants to sell more of their own TVs.

I think it's ridiculous that it's not supported especially when you consider all the games that have a 1440p performance mode (even on PS4 Pro).

I hope Sony does the right thing here and patches it in some point soon. Not sure how difficult it is to implement but the fact that you can do it on a last gen Xbox but not on a brand new $500 Playstation is ridiculous. I realize that it doesn't affect everyone but adding the choice is a win for all consumers.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Is adding that option "difficult" in terms of implementation or are they just not ticking a checkbox on the software end?

I mean I get that they want to their consoles for the living room but cmon its 2020. More video out options are not a bad thing. I mean most Playstation owners don't own their expensive as shit TVs either. Who do they benefit? Lol.

One "CON" for Sony and Playstation for sure. No reason not to support it when your main competitor does.

I suspect they'd need to do some work on things like scaling the UI, but other than that I'm not sure.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Sorry for the dumb questions.

• Wouldn't the games rendering at 1080p or 4K be able to be seen just as fine in a 1440p screen? Isn't this similar to running 4K content down-sampled to 1080p in ...1080p screens?
  • What actually needs to happen to allow 1:1 1440p, what is the XBOX doing that Sony is not, from a technical perspective, what have they not added (hardware and software wise)?
  • Wouldnt 4K downsampled at 1440p just be...smoother? Would we really need a 1440p option if 4K already runs great?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
How well does their TV biz do? I remember there was guidance that they get out of that biz.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

And yes, while some people will bring up that some 4K TVs support 1440p at 120hz, that's still not a standard TV resolution.
Which is weird since they actively support the FGC, who use monitors for tournaments.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

• Wouldn't the games rendering at 1080p or 4K be able to be seen just as fine in a 1440p screen? Isn't this similar to running 4K content down-sampled to 1080p in ...1080p screens?
  • What actually needs to happen to allow 1:1 1440p, what is the XBOX doing that Sony is not, from a technical perspective, what have they not added (hardware and software wise)?
  • Wouldnt 4K downsampled at 1440p just be...smoother? Would we really need a 1440p option if 4K already runs great?

Kind of worse - my understanding is the PS4 Pro (and presumably the PS5) doesn't recognise it as a 1440p display, so it runs at 1080p before being upscaled by the display, which isn't ideal at all.

On the other hand, as the Xbox Series X/S does run at 1440p, you're presumably getting the full advantage of that display (including any content downsampled from 4K or whatever the resolution is).

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, we need to complain to Sony and make a big deal out of it.

Like we did last gen with the PS4 to get Sony to add more features.

1440p needs to be a standard.

Gaming Computer screens for console owners is bliss.

Some people will not or don't have a 4K screen, and will plug the PS5 to their monitor screen.

1080p and 4K resolution should not be the only option.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

This issue is already present on the Pro, and basically since the system can't send out a 1440p signal at all, the only fallback resolution below 4K is 1080p. So if your display is 1440p (or you're in a video mode that relies on 1440p for a specific refresh rate), you're getting a 1080p image. That back-and-forth scaling makes it noticeably blurrier; Even if the system is internally rendering at 4K, you're only getting a 1080p image, blown up to fill the actual screen resolution. It's effectively the opposite of the normal benefits of super-sampling.

Microsoft put in the work to support the resolution natively in their OS, and Sony just hasn't yet. I can't think of any technical reason it can't be added, they just need to do it.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
My TV supports 1440p at 120hz but 4K at only 60hz. TV. Not monitor. i want this feature.
This is what makes it weird to me. While it's uncommon, I have to imagine there is far more people out there with TVs that support 1440p 120hz, or with 1440p 144hz monitors, than there are with TVs that support 4K 120h, which means by not supporting it they will have a much harder time showing off 120fps at anything other than 1080p.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
I call bullshit on people saying it's because Sony wants to sell more of their own TVs.

I think it's ridiculous that it's not supported especially when you consider all the games that have a 1440p performance mode (even on PS4 Pro).

I hope Sony does the right thing here and patches it in some point soon. Not sure how difficult it is to implement but the fact that you can do it on a last gen Xbox but not on a brand new $500 Playstation is ridiculous. I realize that it doesn't affect everyone but adding the choice is a win for all consumers.

This right here...
Its all about consumer choice and lets chill out a bit on doing Sony's PR talk and let your voice be heard so they will hopefully add this option in the near future

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
Guys, we need to complain to Sony and make a big deal out of it.

Like we did last gen with the PS4 to get Sony to add more features.

1440p needs to be a standard.

Gaming Computer screens for console owners is bliss.

Some people will not or don't have a 4K screen, and will plug the PS5 to their monitor screen.

1080p and 4K resolution should not be the only option.
Crazy to me that they're touting 8k when they don't have 1440p. 8K probably won't be the standard for this entire generation. Hell, even 4k 120 won't be very common for a long time. There are way more 1440p users out there than 8k or 4k 120.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It's a shame and the main reason I cancelled my PS5 order. I'm not spending that sort of money on a 1080p 60fps machine when I can buy a 1440p 165hz GPU with more powerful RT performance.

Won't be buying a PS5 for a few years it looks like, probably when Final Fantasy releases