• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Her specialty, single player games, isn't too hot for publisher right now outside of probably Sony and Nintendo. I'm not sure if she likes to work with Sony again after what happened with ND and Nintendo isn't big in cinematic story driven games.
She likes Sony just fine. Sony San Diego was helping with lighting engine on the Star Wars Ragtag game.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Maybe she's just not as good as people keep making her out to be any more?

Uncharted 4 under her sounded like a complete mess, as did the Star Wars game. Hell the entire premise for her Star Wars game was unappealing imo.

Everything is multiplayer nowadays. Her strengths are narrative focused single player experiences

Nah this excuse doesn't fly, plenty of single player games around these days (just maybe not as much as 15 years ago).

Even the evil EA is ok with releasing a single player Star Wars game as long as it looks decent, evidenced by Jedi Fallen Order.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
You pretty much answered your own question there, OP. Triple A games are, as you so rightly pointed out, an industry. They don't make creative works, they Provide Content. Artists have ideas. Content exists to bring you more of the same. The two can never co-exist peacefully.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Eh, I don't know... I don't agree with this recent narrative we see on this forum.

Ubisoft, Bethesda, Capcom, Square-Enix, THQ, Bandai Namco, Sega, heck even Activision just published a FromSoft game.
Minus Activision, all those publishers mainly produce single player games. And they are some of the biggest publishers.

If anything there aren't enough multiplayer games đź‘€

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
i don't think the troubled development is that unusual, but i think her projects are so high profile that she has the misfortunes of those troubles being extremely public in an embarrassing way

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I personally believe the original report that she was lowkey bullied out of Naughty Dog because Neil Druckmann felt like he was riding on a higher horse after the success of TLOU, and in many ways he also had a better grasp of what people expected of Uncharted 4. The problem is, he's such an inferior writer just when it comes to prose, characterization and dialogue, and Uncharted 4 suffered without Amy to handle its final drafts. Tonally it also faltered. While I would say Uncharted 3 also had tonal inconsistencies it was more the contrivances that bugged me than the occasionally awkward usage of different narrative genres.

When musicians collaborate, there's many stories of clashing egos, and you'd be gullible if you think it never happens in game companies.

As for Amy and EA, well... they have patrick soderlund and all these "money and fast cars" kind of executes around them. In this business, as most businesses, the money is the bottom line for various reasons but at EA it's clearly the reason people in higher up positions come to work there, whereas I believe companies like Sony or Nintendo have more ethical or artistic concern at the top alongside their business-minded employees. Ultimately, as Amy said that's why her work didn't make it out. "It didn't fit with EA's business plan". It's not the branding of the game that wasn't good enough, it wasn' that they didn't believe in the pitch, it's just that EA decided that the business model did not fit with the project.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Shpping games is hard, now that games take half a decade to make having one or two cancelled seems like a big deal.
This. You have bad luck one or two times and people won't see anything 'good' from you in a decade. That is pretty long and may feel like "someone's fucked over" which isn't true, though.

Thank god writers aren't athletes and could still deliver awesome stories in their 80's. So expect still some awesome things to come from Amy.