• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's the worst cuss word?

• Fudge

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • Sugar

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Heck

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • Dang

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Fiddlesticks

Votes: 23 19.5%
  • @#&?!

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • Thor: The Dark Word

Votes: 63 53.4%

• Total voters
Jun 17, 2019
Dudes seriously. Is it that hard to see the lady's perspective on this? Not only is it rude, its also used a lot to be a shithead to women. Not sure how guys would feel if a woman just out right during a meeting went "cocksucker".

sladeums

Jun 12, 2019
Omaha, NE
Duuuude you don't even know

In the US
long as I can remember
woman to woman you call someone a cunt
that means bitch we about to tear each other's hair out

insults stop there
it starts at fuck you, when it escalates to cunt - blood is about to to be shed

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's always A Big Deal when someone says "cunt" in a US TV show.

And I'd say it's a tier above "fuck" here in the UK. We just never made it into misogynist hate speech because it's too useful to restrict to half the population.
Can't speak to the use of cunt in the UK, but "bitch" is an interesting example of a sexist term that is applied to both men and women. And it's obviously still sexist because it's used to mean completely different things when applied to men as when it's applied to women.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Some people simply don't like swearing, nothing wrong with not liking it.

I can't imagine swearing in work related correspondence, especially written.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Can't speak to the use of cunt in the UK, but "bitch" is an interesting example of a sexist term that is applied to both men and women. And it's still obviously still sexist because it's used to mean completely different things when applied to men as when it's applied to women.
Yeah, "bitch" has the same duality over here.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Not really. Well, partially. But every language needs a set of words that show extreme anger/hate/insult etc. Though these days fuck has lost most of its negativity.

Take cunt for example. My understanding is that you could be fired from your workplace for calling a colleague a cunt in America.
Nah the US wants everybody to think they're the free speech capital of the world but the moment someone says fuck All bets are off. Lmao

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Bc it's often used in a negative attack? "Fuck you" levels up the aggression of word compared to some of the other words you mentioned.

I think this is it honestly. I mean I use fuck but I do cringe more if some one uses it as an adjective cause it comes off as more violent/hateful. Why that is? I don't know. Probably just the fact that our culture teaches it as one of the worst swear words. Unless you are in catholic school where they tried to teach me damn and even worse goddamn were teh worst... I always thought that was silly. But I've met at least two people who really hate it when I say goddamnit... both eventually gave up cause unfortunately for me goddamnit has the right feel to it when I'm frustrated that it seems very natural to use it. No matter how much they would object or one woud always startle me iwth a loud hey, it never got me to stop saying it (and it wasn't cause I didn't try. At one point I thought I had gotten better as I heard them object less until the person said, no, we just gave up on objecting).

I mean I use fuck when I really want to emphasize how pissed off I am about something.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
At this point, and how I've heard it being used lately in some shows (Peacemaker, for sure) and movies (insert Tarantino flick here) I'm less bothered by it and more just tired of hearing it used as though it's the verb, adverb, adjective and noun in an entire sentence.

That and, really, we kind of need an "escalation list" for severity that's at least somewhat universal? Somewhere to draw a line on profanity and vulgarity, maybe? We have one but if the "big ones" like fuck get reduced, where do you go?

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Remember, there are no bad words, only stupid people.

There are some words you really fucking shouldn't say though. Really just the one.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
At this point, and how I've heard it being used lately in some shows (Peacemaker, for sure) and movies (insert Tarantino flick here) I'm less bothered by it and more just tired of hearing it used as though it's the verb, adverb, adjective and noun in an entire sentence.

That and, really, we kind of need an "escalation list" for severity that's at least somewhat universal? Somewhere to draw a line on profanity and vulgarity, maybe? We have one but if the "big ones" like fuck get reduced, where do you go?
The wire crime scene scene would like a word with you. It's amazing.

videosift.com

The All-"Fuck" Murder Investigation Scene from The Wire

McNulty and Bunk work up an old crime scene and discover new evidence. They say "fuck" 38 times in a row, in so many different ways. The Wire (HBO) is the best TV drama I've ever seen.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I don't know why, but the only swear word that makes me uncomfortable is bitch. (And the C word, cause it's the same thing but worse if you're a "yank".) I don't know why those words cut deeper.... I'm happy to say shit, fuck, damn, or whatever, but the few times I threw "bitch" around casually in my life, it didn't feel good, so I stopped using it.