• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about modern gaming being bad or worse, it's just that back then there were a ton of different things that don't get made anymore nowadays, both in gameplay and style, and dismissing this simple fact as "just nostalgia lmao" is pretty shortsighted.
Yeah, this is true, and why I like to play those kinds of games as well.

Deleted member 27872

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really love old aecade games and action platformers, alot of the genres I love arent made as much anymore. Also im a sega fanboy and cant go without my genesis or saturn.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, games don't get bad just because they are old. Plus I like experiencing the formative works in my favorite genres, and appreciate gaming's history and the various eras the medium has gone through. Every generation has something to love.

GarrettB

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have any money when I was a kid and I heard about all these cool games that I never got to play and I love going back and trying them for the first time. I'm grateful for game preservationist/pirates who make it possible.

Nov 22, 2017
As far as I am concerned, I dont know if it's only a video game thing. I am also intrested in old films, classic litterature and music. I like to understand where things come from, how did people experimented with a medium and constructed the grammar that is used or today.. It makes me appreciate thing better. There is nostalgia to a certain extent (for games or films that I liked when I was younger (I wasn't much into books as a kid)) but I play retrogames that I didn't know of, or owned, so I guess it's more about the above mentioned reason than nostalgia.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
A combination of certain genres/series not being made anymore and games being fun and in general without much bloat.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I grew up with it. The nostalgia effect is obviously strong. But I also like knowing what inspired later works. And that goes for all kinds of media - books, music, movies. And I legitimately find retro games still very fun to play.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Some of it's nostalgia, some of it's an art style that appeals to me, some of it's just the fact that I fucking hate the shitty B movies that big AAA studios are trying to pass off as games lately.

Retro gaming when done right it's best in it's simplicity. It can have a decent story but ultimately lives and dies on the gameplay.

Oct 29, 2017
There's games that you just don't get anymore. I remember booting up Metal Arms earlier this year and thinking man I miss games like this.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Plug in game, turn on power. You're playing the game. Levels are a few moments long. Things are simple and fast paced. Too much cinematic bs in a lot of modern games. Modern in this sense being starting with ps1.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I play a mix of games but the types of AAA games made these days don't appeal to me as much as the games from the past.

I like:

2D RPGs or 3D RPGs that keep the turn based battles (Lunar, Grandia, Early Final Fantasy games, Dragon Quest)
Arcade sports games (NBA Jam, Temco bowl, Super Dodgeball, Kunio Kun Soccer)
Horizontal or Vertical Shooters (Gradius, Super Star Solider, Radiant Silvergun)
Point and Click Adventure games (Monkey Island, Sam and Max, Space Quest)
Platform games 2D or 3D

I don't like as much (though still occasionally play)

First person shooters (COD, Halo)
Open world Crime em' Ups (GTA, Payday, Saints row)
Western RPGs or anything with a user created character (Fallout 4, Skyrim)
Realistic Sports games (Madden, FIFA)
Racers (Forza, Project Cars)
Fully user created games (Mario Maker, Dreams, Little Big Planet)

Now not to say that these games are bad. They are not. But they are not my kind of games. So these days I am mostly Indie and Nintendo because they provide the types of games I enjoy.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The only retro games that still appeal to me are classic arcade games. No story. Just a high score to try and beat.

Games like Robotron 2084, Time Pilot, Tempest, and Pac-Man. Instant engagement and satisfaction.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I don't play many retro games, but it's not exactly by choice. There are just too many new games to keep up with, and I've honestly burned myself out a lot on gaming. Depression makes it hard to enjoy it anymore, too, or to have the energy for it.

I grew up with the SNES though, and spent years before that playing NES at my cousins' houses or at my grandparents' where one was left. I also had an Atari 2600 when I was really young, but it wasn't mine even though I had it for more than 13 years. I'm glad that even though I didn't own those systems I still got to play them a lot and didn't miss out on too much.

I want to go back and revisit some games and play ones I missed (Earthbound, Secret of Mana, the last half of Super Mario RPG, etc.) I just need to find the energy and time.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
There are always game I never got to play at the time, so I do so now that I can. basically 'retro' is just what my backlog would be for titles I never owned.
It can be hit or miss with older PC titles, but the internet is a treasure trove on how to get those not on gog/steam to work.

it's never about them being better or rose tinted goggles. I just wanted to try them, couldnt and now I can so I do.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
The feeling of complete games day one

Also the feeling of nothing of Microstransactions or DLC etc in the game is great

Lastly a lot of games nowadays too cinematic too much focus on story etc while sacrificing on gameplay while retro games gameplay is the main thing makes it fun to play

ryu_highabusa

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
I used to be with 'it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it' anymore and what's 'it' seems weird and scary. It'll happen to you!

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because outside of first party Nintendo and Bloodborne/Souls I haven't found any games that scratch that nostalgic adventure/discovery itch. I've tried to get into The Witcher and Uncharted and [X] AAA game and they just don't work for me. So I still go back to Chrono Trigger or whatever every couple of years instead.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I just like games, new or old, AAA or indie. I've never been a tech focused person, I buy new machines to access more games not because I really care about the advances in fidelity that come with it.

Gameplay variety is also important to me and some styles went out of fashion and never came back because the genres evolved in different directions. If I want to play something like a classic fixed camera horror game then I have few options but retro.

I can get bored if I play a bunch of games in a row all with modern controls and systems and start craving something different.

Oct 28, 2017
Nostalgia is the biggest factor why I love retro, and second, I just love the games from back then.

SNES, ps1, ps2, Dreamcast, GameCube, genesis, so many great games.

Silent hill, mgs, classic sonic the hedgehog, contra, castlevania, onimusha, turtles in time, f zero, panzer dragoon, nights, clockwork knight, Daytona USA, etc.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I love when old games had much direct gameplay, without too many thing to get distracted... thats alsosomething i am finding in VR gaming.
I also love "old" graphic styles...I startedwith DOS and Intellivision games, Windows, Amiga, game boy, etc... so I saw and liked all styles of gaming really, so also nostalgia has a role in it.

And last, but not least important, I like to finally finish games that I was never able to finish as a little kid.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It's absolutely not nostalgia, I'll tell you that. I was one of the first kids to have a N64 and PS1, and I'd still go back to my NES because I preferred that. I love discovering old games that I've never played before. So I'd say design sensibilities in the past are more to my liking. A stronger focus on gameplay, a love for genres like platformers and fighting games, and preferring pixel art over 3D graphics for the most part.

Of course I still love modern games, though.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I just enjoy some games more than others and because I enjoy them, I keep coming back to them. The line between old and new has blurred to me.

I also do this with other media, like books, films, music, art, etc. I don't just read, listen, or watch it and then toss it away. If I like it, I'll come back to it.

Recently, I picked up copies of Moby Dick, Faust, Don Quixote, and the poems of John Keats. Why? Because I always wanted to read them and you know what? Not a single person in the bookstore said "Why you wanna read that? Shits old lol!".

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I just enjoy some games more than others and because I enjoy them, I keep coming back to them. The line between old and new has blurred to me.

I also do this with other media, like books, films, music, art, etc. I don't just read, listen, or watch it and then toss it away. If I like it, I'll come back to it.
This is such a good analogy. If I read an old book I'm not a "retro reader". Good games are good and remain good regardless of time.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with it. As long as new games using the retro theme know what they are doing with it, I don't mind it. Like the other day i bought Space Dave for .99 cents and played for hours because the game understands that it's a single screen arcade hi-score bonanza. Some games go for the aesthetic, but underneath the surface are really trying to make a modern story driven game, just in 8-bit.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I love seeing the history of genres, and where many of the features we've come to expect originated from.

Oct 28, 2017
Used to adore retro gaming until I was spoiled by modern graphics, sound quality, and QoL features like autosave.
Gaming is often a form of escapism for me, and modern titles simply offer more immersion.
Even the classics are hard for me to go back to sometimes. Sucks too because I used to own like 900 games and a ton of consoles.
One day I just realized my collecting wasn't worth it, and that modern titles were generally better.

*hides the fact that I just bought Grandia 2, Chrono Trigger, and Killer7 during Steam's Autumn Sale*

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Because i liked playing those games as a kid, when they were released.
It will be more interesting to read from people who didn't grow up with these "retro" games.

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
I like retro games because it offers me something most modern games cannot. I like SRPG's for example. And those are rarely made today. Currently on the Luminous Arc series on the DS.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just really enjoying gaming fulls stop, and as I grew up with Nintendo systems, there was a lot I missed out on

So as an enthusiast I've gone back and played a ton of games I missed out on at the time, which has just made me want to play even more old classics and even more games I'm only now finding out about

Modern games are amazing but they're more homogenised and a lot are online focused and I'm primarily interested in single player

I'm generally always playing a few older games along side more modern titles, and most of the time I'm playing older games I've never played before

Right now I'm playing the GBA version of FFIV for the first time

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
There's an elegance of design in great (and even good) retro games that you very rarely see today. Functional, sensible design; a feeling that a game was built the way it was because that's the way that intuitively makes sense to build it. Why do we jump on enemies? Because it seemed sensible when so many games were about jumping. It's like, "of course". Elements were created as necessary to serve the game.

I often feel that when folks insist that modern "retro-style" indie games are comparable, they're really not thinking about game design. Of all the indie games I've played, I've only very rarely found any correlation between their visual style and their design philosophy. The great majority of indie games today are designed with today's mode of thinking.

To draw a perhaps significantly weird comparison, it kind of gives me the same feeling as what authors call "discovery writing". Every good writer has a plan, but some look at their work with a different perspective: as if the story itself is the one making decisions, rather than the author. It will often be quite apparent in the end product whether it was written by a meticulous outliner or a pants-writer. Nearly every modern game I play gives the sense of meticulous overthinking, as if committee meetings were held to decide on the colour of the protagonist's trousers.

sbdesignworks

Nov 2, 2018
Mainly nostalgia but also because I'm a big fan of pixel art in general. Also, the simpler style of gameplay appeals to me... no fluff and waffle, just get in and play!

I grew up with the Snes and it has some of my favourite games of all time on there and 8-16 bit music brings back fond memories. I don't play video games as much as I used to (only owning a Switch now) so generally prefer the pick up and play nature of the older titles.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Born in 97 here. To me there's no correlation between when a game came out and how worth playing it is. I suppose if anything I tend to favour games that have stood the test of time - when a game is still talked about 5, 10 or 20 years after its initial release there's often a good reason for it.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
Well, for me at least, it isn't all nostalgia. Well, most of it is, but some of it is missed opportunities.

I never had a PC Engine growing up. I was aware that it existed through magazines like C&VG and the odd imported EGM from the US, this mythical Japanese super-console which made the Amiga look like a 2600 and had almost arcade-perfect games on these little credit card things, it sounded amazing to me. I'd never even heard of the CD add-on until about a decade later. Problem was, the machine was never made officially available here ion the UK, certainly not in places li8ke Dixon's where anyone could just walk in and pick it up off the shelf (sounds so anachronistic nowadays, doesn't it?) Yes, I could have gotten one via mail-order, but only from Germany (in the days before eBay, so it would take weeks to get to me), for a premium price that my teenaged self could never afford, and only in shitty 50hz PAL format, so it became one of those unattainable things I dreamed of one day being able to play. Those were dark days indeed.

Fast forward to a few years ago, when a certain now-defunct twitch streamer was broadcasting a raffle for various prizes, including a Core Grafx unit. I won the second prize, but the first prize winner already had a Duo-R, so we swapped prizes and I finally had one - a PC Engine of my own! Of course, the composite cables that came with it were awful, especially on a HDTV, so I got a CRT from the back room which was fine, then I bought an IFU and a refurbished CD-ROM unit on eBay, then I had the whole thing RGB-modded and railbar-fixed, then I got a PVM monitor for the best picture...over the next year or so, but you get the drill. I also got loads of other stuff for my retro corner, but the point is tl;dr - I was too poor to own much of anything when I was younger, but now I'm older and slightly better off I can buy my missed childhood back, so bully for me.

Nowadays, though, I view the Sharp X68000 the same way I used to see the PC Engine - as an unattainable goal. I have no illusions of ever owning one, though, so emulation will have to do.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Not to be a pedant but.... *tilts glasses upward* any game that you grew up with would be by default "retro". So in a sense, everyone has an attachment to retro games.

Anyway, for me it's because they hold some of my fondest memories growing up. While I spent a lot of time playing games solo, I also spent quite a bit of time with my cousins/friends playing various games. Heck, I was doing some thinking recently and most of the games that I have great memories of was mostly due to playing it with others. I can't really see myself playing those same games by myself and enjoying them nearly as much.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
0% Nostalgia.

Fun games are fun games whether they were made 30 years ago or 1 day ago. Every generation has a ton of fun, and many get looked over due to not being translated or just being a smaller title at the time. There are many modern indies that also face the issue of being overlooked due to language/visibility, especially japan indies.

Also I don't believe a game has to be perfect to be fun, so missing QoL features don't bother me as much as it may bother others.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
In general I don't feel the quality of games has improved between now and 20 years ago so I think the best games are spread out across multiple generations. Some very obvious aspects have improved in gaming but many others have gotten worse such as microtransactions, more movie style soundtracks, assets are more expensive to make so environments tend to be less varied and diverse, less secrets and hidden areas, a general presumption that the player is impatient and wants instant gratification etc.
It was actually jarring playing the Spyro remake recently and realising how much better it was than other recently released modern platformers, it had some dated elements such as the script and the way voice acting was used but the way it uses item placement to encourage player driven exploration and discovery instead of things like waypoints remains timeless and fantastic design. It's even funny that Breath of the Wild was praised for this style recently when it effectively just brought something back that was common in the 90's.

I'm also starting to think that faithful remakes of games made in the 90's or early 00's with modern touches like HD, autosave and a smooth framerate might just be my favourite games to play. That even applies to games I never played the original for.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Nostalgia is an easy answer but there's more. It helps me to appreciate how far videogames have come. Old games are still fun to play, and some games are never getting re-released on new hardware.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I find as I get older that many modern AAA experiences are bloated with overly long stories, cinematics, fetch quests that wear out their welcome after about 10 hours. That's exasparated by long installs, day one patches and other things that remove the simple 'plug and play' nature of yesteryear consoles and games. '100 hours of gameplay' doesn't appeal to me because I really don't want to invest in any one game that long. The lone exception recently was BOTW because technically you could march right up to the end boss if you wanted( and probably get your ass kicked, but the option was there).

Many games from 8 and 16 bit era were built around pattern memorization, high scores, speed runs and short burst gameplay/levels which makes them much easier to play when I just want a quick gaming session, and easier to return to.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The amount of people saying nostalgia is weird to me

I mostly play older games I've never played before, so nostalgia doesn't really come into it

I just like good games, and a lot of older games appeal to be aesthetically

Maybe it's nostalgia for the types of games or gameplay or conventions within those types of games, but it's not a case of going back to play games I played as a child to feel all warm and fuzzy

I'm sure a lot of people do only play older games from their childhood though

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
One of my big reasons is that those games got to the fucking point immediately, which is something modern games only now started to get back into.

A good example are all the Zelda games that released after ALTTP. I think Gamasutra had a nice article at some point where they measured up 'time to dungeon' and with each subsequent Zelda release, that time became longer and longer and longer. Most game stories are still pretty bad, but still a lot of developers insist that you click yourself through boxes and boxes of often incoherent story text and cutscenes that makes little sense and often add nothing to the actual experience. Why do I have to find someones cat in Zelda games and do x amount of fetch quests before I can enter a dungeon? Look at Skyward Sword, the dungeon design in those games is actually pretty great - but it takes an awfully long time to actually get to your first dungeon. I strongly believe this is one of the reasons why everyone freaked out about Breath of the Wild: Exit the cave you start in and BOOM, GAMEPLAY! I'm in the overworld, I can do shit and it takes a few minutes before I enter the first shrine. Good old Zelda gameplay. It's no coincidence that BotW eerily feels a lot like playing Zelda 1 back in the day.

I'd argue that most people here who just claim that it's all about nostalgia haven't spent a lot of time thinking about game design.

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm honest, I'd say nostalgia mostly.
I always liked games but as a kid I was only playing
Them, as the media gained popularity, development
And other facts were made known and as I grew older I wanted to know more about this world of game development.

So replaying old games and discovering some I never played before is like discovering history of gaming for me in a way.

And like mostly everyone says, it's fun to just boot up a game quickly and start playing for like 30 mins.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Getting to start playing right away is an important aspect for sure. What have game developers been thinking in the last 20 years, with all those slow tutorials and cut-scenes?! Just let me play right away and figure things out on my own, and then gradually introduce plot once I'm hooked.

Really though, playing old stuff is NOT unique for gaming. Plenty of movie fans watch old movies too, and plenty of music fans listen to old music. We don't really separate modern from old there, so why do we do it in gaming?

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Nostalgia and an interest in older, classic game design

Sometimes having to use only a few buttons instead of an entire current-gen controller is nice and sobering too