Status
Not open for further replies.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
- Ports of Wii U games costing full price (with slight QoL improvements and resolution bumps). Sony, Microsoft and other third parties remaster and port their games to newer systems, often at a cheaper price.

- First party games barely going on sale and when they do, at most it's 30% off. Look at Sony and Microsoft, their first party games are on sale often, at times a deep sale, and eventually they will give the game a price cut both digitally and physically. You barely ever get first party Nintendo games on sale.

The worrying (and just downright perplexing) thing about these two bullet points is that people don't just shrug them off, they even go as far as to defend and justify these practices. I've seen enough threads to know. There are folks out there who are actually glad that Nintendo games don't drop significantly in price.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Only policy you listed that's questionable is the backwards compatibility. Aside from that, the others are strictly business. Consumers create the value of their products.

Clearly people feel their games are worth the price tag, adults and kids. I also think Nintendo games from a gameplay standpoint depreciate much much slower than the other publishers.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
People complain quite a bit and still buy their shit. I begrudgingly count myself in this camp. Am I currently livid about the state of the virtual console or lack thereof? Yep. Will I buy BOTW 2 day one? Yep.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They get critizied constantly for good reason, but what do you gonna do if the majority doesn't care?

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
It's funny to see people say that era is vocal about the policies as if that matters. Era is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Limited digital releases (see Super Mario 3D All-Stars). We all know Nintendo is eventually gonna release each game individually and it will cost more
This has always been what they've done for anniversary or "special products". People going on about Nintendo limiting recent software aren't making predictions based in reality. The lack of virtual console is far worse, and there's no excuse for why they stopped offering that.

Oct 27, 2017
So is everyone else also getting a pass if they have bad policies?

Considering that the PS4 didn't support BC at all and the Vita supported in a limited capacity, I'm not sure how they're OK but Nintendo isn't
Well going a bit sideways here but yeah you are correct the ps4 was a lapse but mainly due to architecture change. Same thing here more or less. I'm just not sure if it's worth debating over the usage of ok, okay. :P

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
They've been so shitty and so behind the times for so long that people gave up.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
The only one that I actively don't like is their BC approach across the board.

I don't mind paying full price for Nintendo games. I love their titles and consider them worth the value. If you don't then don't purchase them.

Oct 26, 2017
No, as they rarely do Nintendo numbers (EGS for example is just losing money)
...so I'm guessing Sony didn't get a pass when they made online a paid service or when Microsoft acquired several developers, then? I mean, they're all doing good numbers

Well going a bit sideways here but yeah you are correct the ps4 was a lapse but mainly due to architecture change. Same thing here more or less. I'm just not sure if it's worth debating over the usage of ok, okay. :P
Well the OP said that Sony does an OK job but Nintendo does an awful one, despite the circumstances being the same, so...

The worrying (and just downright perplexing) thing about these two bullet points is that people don't just shrug them off, they even go as far as to defend and justify these practices. I've seen enough threads to know. There are folks out there who are actually glad that Nintendo games don't drop significantly in price.
Also folk on here who didn't want cross play on PS and were glad about it or were totally cool and defended Sony making online a paid service. Fanboys will fanboy

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
[
Aside from the fact that people complain about NIntendo all the time, you're right.
But much like those complaints, you miss the mark. Sony and Microsoft aren't out there fighting for you, they simply don't have the ability to do what Nintendo does.
Sony and Microsoft would love to release ports of of older games, but people don't want them unless they add new stuff and sell at a lower price. If they could they absolutely would.

Microsoft and Sony would love to have their games stay at 60(70) bucks. But the market isn't there, their games have a half -life and in order to keep them from gathering dust on shelves, they have to drop the price. Sony and Microsoft would kill to have their games have market staying power that Nintendo's do.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Also folk on here who didn't want cross play on PS and were glad about it or were totally cool and defended Sony making online a paid service. Fanboys will fanboy
[/QUOTE]
Didn't people gave Sony a pass in raiding the prices of their games? Some people care, others don't.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The price of Wii U ports is a massive topic every time one of those games is up for any kind of discussion, and the limited release strategy was almost all anybody talked about with regards to Super Mario 3D All-Stars from the time it was announced to the time the game faded from discourse here. Not sure how Nintendo "always gets a pass" on these and other pricing topics.

OP
OP
itsaziz

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
This has always been what they've done for anniversary or "special products". People going on about Nintendo limiting recent software aren't making predictions based in reality. The lack of virtual console is far worse, and there's no excuse for why they stopped offering that.
The only time I've seen digital goods get delisted is because of licensing issues or the publisher changing. Never heard of anything like that happening in the gaming industry, maybe it does in other industries, I'm not sure.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
They don't get a pass. Neither here nor in public. They have multiple lawsuits for joycons right now for example.

They just don't. Give. A single. Shit.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's operates in their own stubborn bubble and I think people have just accepted that.

If they were Seinfeld characters

Sony = Jerry
Microsoft = George
Nintendo = Kramer

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Funny that you think they are getting a pass when pretty much every second post regarding the Switch is about people complaining about prices.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they get a pass, there are weekly threads complaining about Nintendo.
The difference seems to be the people have the perception they get a pass, especially if they are from the outside looking in and or if their platform holder of choice gets called out for something. The whataboutism about Nintendo eventually gets mentioned in those threads.

The question really should be, why do some people think they get a pass.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
...so I'm guessing Sony didn't get a pass when they made online a paid service or when Microsoft acquired several developers, then? I mean, they're all doing good numbers

Yeah, they got a pass too.

And I don't know why someone would defend any of these things (expensive games, paying for online, bought publishers...)

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Other things like protecting their IPs against stuff like fan games I can understand but if Microsoft or Sony tried to pull any of these other things, most people wouldn't accept it. So why Nintendo?
Because if you went into the threads where people complained about those things, it wouldn't agree with the narrative you wanted.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Ports of Wii U games costing full
they still sell stupid amounts so it's clear nobody really cares
The same digital only games i.e. no physical release costing more on the Switch than on PS4/PS5/PC/Xbox. The only benefit that Switch has is portability, whereas the other platforms have increased performance, resolution and IQ.
Like what though? I can only think of games that were released late on Switch so therefore they have the full price. And In any case, that's nothing to do with Nintendo as they don't set the price of third party games.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Yeah. There's always a discount that's gonna happen if you wait.
Wait? For how long?! Both damn Xenoblade games cost 60 on Eshop! X2: Torna is 40! 40!!! I actually own Xeno2. No way in Hell it should still be 60 on Eshop. Mario Party is 60! NSBMU Deluxe is 60!!! What the hell! It's crazy. I'm not saying the games aren't worth quality but 60 still????

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
They don't get a pass at all. They get very well-deserved shit literally all the time. But people buy their stuff regardless because it's generally very, very good.

Oct 26, 2017
And so criticism isn't allowed? What's your point?

I'm not sure how you read that and thought "he's making a point about criticism." That's not what I was talking about at all.
My argument is that it's silly for people to compare and expect that corporations should do everything exactly the same just because one corporation decided to do price cuts for their games after a period of time (and going beyond that, there are people who made threads that argue that constant cutting devalues games anyway...).
If Nintendo wants to charge full price for their games, then they're well within their means to do. But likewise, you are well within your means as a consumer to not buy the game at full price.

It's the same logic that you see with fan games where people think between Sega/Steam/etc. allow fan games, that every single gaming entity should irrespective of the fact that it is also within their legal means to shut them down. It doesn't mean that you have to like the move, but it also doesn't mean that you can logically expect them to do what you want.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Wait? For how long?! Both damn Xenoblade games cost 60 on Eshop! X2: Torna is 40! 40!!! I actually own Xeno2. No way in Hell it should still be 60 on Eshop. Mario Party is 60! NSBMU Deluxe is 60!!! What the hell! It's crazy. I'm not saying the games aren't worth quality but 60 still????
the first Xenoblade was on clearance in Walmart for $10 last month and they were on sale for $40 in the Holidays I believe.

Homura

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 20, 2019
- The same digital only games i.e. no physical release costing more on the Switch than on PS4/PS5/PC/Xbox. The only benefit that Switch has is portability, whereas the other platforms have increased performance, resolution and IQ.
Third Parties decide their own prices, not Nintendo.

- Limited digital releases (see Super Mario 3D All-Stars). We all know Nintendo is eventually gonna release each game individually and it will cost more.
They won't, anniversary products for Nintendo should only be sold during that anniversary. I agree it's stupid.

- Backwards compatibility. Microsoft is great at this, Sony is ok, but Nintendo just abandoned all their customers who bought games off the eShop and Virtual Console. You have to keep your Wii U, Wii and 3DS if you still want to play games you bought and if you want to play them on your Switch, you need to pay a monthly subscription fee.
Nintendo has a really good track record with BC. Switch doesn't have BC because Nintendo had to completely change architecture to make it.

- First party games barely going on sale and when they do, at most it's 30% off. Look at Sony and Microsoft, their first party games are on sale often, at times a deep sale, and eventually they will give the game a price cut both digitally and physically. You barely ever get first party Nintendo games on sale.
I agree this is scummy but it's actually pro consumer for day one buyers because the game they bought full price will keep that value. I hope Nintendo does a few Selects for Switch soon.

Other things like protecting their IPs against stuff like fan games I can understand but if Microsoft or Sony tried to pull any of these other things, most people wouldn't accept it. So why Nintendo?
Tbh we don't know how Sony and Microsoft would react. 99% of fangames are based on Nintendo's IPs.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

Mario Party and NSMBU were both in the top ten selling Switch games of January. Nintendo has zero reason to drop the price when they are selling millions of copies still at $60.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
- Ports of Wii U games costing full price (with slight QoL improvements and resolution bumps). Sony, Microsoft and other third parties remaster and port their games to newer systems, often at a cheaper price. - It's true you tend to see more collections on one disc as opposed to Nintendo, but most of them still launch at or near $60.

- The same digital only games i.e. no physical release costing more on the Switch than on PS4/PS5/PC/Xbox. The only benefit that Switch has is portability, whereas the other platforms have increased performance, resolution and IQ.- Are you referring to 1st party or 3rd party games? Nintendo has no control on 3rd party pricing.

- Limited digital releases (see Super Mario 3D All-Stars). - No one is defending this.

- Backwards compatibility. - The Switch was a clean break from the Wii-U. A lot of games were made specifically with the Wii-U in mind. It is possible to play a lot of Wii-U games on the Switch in their original state. Also, I think you are being a little generous with saying Sony is ok with bc as it was non-existent from PS3 to PS4.

- First party games barely going on sale and when they do, at most it's 30% off.- That business model works for Nintendo, so why should they change it?

Apr 21, 2018
I paid full price to double dip on:
-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
-Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
-Pikmin 3 Deluxe
-Mario 3D World
-Bayonetta 1/2

I don't regret any of these purchases. I guess I'm part of the problem.

They get a pass (in terms of sales) because their content is that good and a re-purchase on Switch essentially makes them a portable/handheld experience. I want them all on my Switch, and paying 10-20$ more than they should be priced doesn't make me lose any sleep.

In terms of the limited release thing, I firmly believe the 3D All Stars games will be available in another form down the line (or they retract on the limited release, like they did with the jump rope game). I refuse to believe they are stupid or anti-consumer enough to take hit software off he market for....no reason.

My biggest issue is the poor online feature set -- but I still play MK8 and Splatoon 2 more than I ever played my PS4 online.

I don't give their crappy mobile games a pass. I enjoyed Mario Bros on iphone and paid the 10$ for that, but Mario Kart World Tour is absolute garbage with a nasty payment scheme. I won't touch those.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
People complain about this shit all the time. At the end of the day it's not gonna stop most people from buying games they want to play though.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
They don't get a pass, as the sorry sales of the Gamecube, 3DS launch, and WiiU showed their fanbases to be fickle and unreliable, minus a few million or so hardcore fans who buy everything.

I get your point though OP. They do have a small vocal hardcore fanboy type of defense base that handwaves anything questionable, behaves like gamergaters, encourages mediocrity, and labels any criticism as unfounded.

The WiiU era was so bad for this. Declaring pikmin and w101 as GOTY worthy (they're good, not great, so relax), telling off the internet for not understanding the "genius" behind gimmicks like starfox zero (lol), being completely fine with lagging online features, and getting visibly mad at fans who complain they can't find rare drops of limited editions (FE special ed, amiibos, etc).

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
The only time I've seen digital goods get delisted is because of licensing issues or the publisher changing. Never heard of anything like that happening in the gaming industry, maybe it does in other industries, I'm not sure.
I'm refering to past Nintendo releases such as the Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition Collection on the Wii and The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition on the Gamecube. Nintendo packages older software to sell on systems for anniversary and special occasions. You get people claiming this is them trying to emulate the Disney Vault. Though it's not something they do for everything, certainly nothing as large scale as some people would imply. If they had a more robust virtual console people wouldn't even complain about it. Keeping their back catalogue available is something they should be called out for. I'm not sure if going after the limited releases is getting at the right problem. Even though people have a right to call that out too.

Edit: I wanted to come back and edit this just to clarify. The problem isn't new software in danger of being time-limited, it's the sealing off of old software .

Last edited:

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I already answered this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.