Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
So Deborah tells Ray her parents are getting a divorce and he laughs. Why does anyone put up with him?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Isnt the name of the show based on Robert being extrememly bitter about Raymond having his life together and his parent's affection

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Not everyone loves him. His brother is just jealous. He can be a real POS. His voice is humorous though. "Howwww daaaare you!"

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My parents watched this all the time when I was younger. I for one, do not love Raymond. I remember his mom being terrible.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't that the joke that people are shit to Raymond haven't actually watched it much

Last edited:

Marjorine

Oct 27, 2017
I liked this show OK. I could see how someone could hate it, but Ray's mom kind of reminded me of my mom a little bit. For better or for worse.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
I always hated this show. Every one is so incredibly unpleasant. Rays mother in particular is an absolutely vile woman and Deborah isn't much better. Raymond is a blithering idiot as well.

Oct 31, 2017
I never liked this show much, even when I gave it a chance on TV Land

Even the episodes of King of Queens with Ray in them are worse

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Because he's a sweet, gentle man who is a great sports writer and has everything going for him, or so it seems.

But the show (which is really good) is named that because of Robert's jealousy.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood the popularity of this show. Why was it popular with conservatives? It was the dirtiest of that era of family show. The family dynamics were screwed up enough, besides Robert obviously wanting to bang Ray's wife. Wasn't it the show that had a baby played by a teenager or something? I also found it annoying/insulting to see Ray play a writer who never wrote (and was obviously a dumb guy).

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isnt the name of the show based on Robert being extrememly bitter about Raymond having his life together and his parent's affection
hqdefault.jpg

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never understood the popularity of this show. Why was it popular with conservatives? It was the dirtiest of that era of family show. The family dynamics were screwed up enough, besides Robert obviously wanting to bang Ray's wife. Wasn't it the show that had a baby played by a teenager or something? I also found it annoying/insulting to see Ray play a writer who never wrote (and was obviously a dumb guy).
He wrote sports articles all the time in the first few seasons, what are you talking about?

The show was so successful because it revolved around family dynamics - something everyone can relate to. The writing was consistently funny and generally smart, although obviously not as creative as Seinfeld at the same time. Having said that, ELR arguably ages better than Seinfeld for the most part because there are so few cultural references in it.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was a pact by the old ones. They would never come back to terrorize us as long as Everybody Loves/d Raymond.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I just love Frank and Marie so much. Peter Boyle and Doris Roberts played those parts perfectly, and were the reason you watched the show. The rest of the characters were meh.
I agree.

Related, king of queens is a national treasure and sitcom gold. I mean look at this shit

This is a damn riot. That classic Doug and Arthur dynamic!!

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He wrote sports articles all the time in the first few seasons, what are you talking about?

The show was so successful because it revolved around family dynamics - something everyone can relate to. The writing was consistently funny and generally smart, although obviously not as creative as Seinfeld at the same time. Having said that, ELR arguably ages better than Seinfeld for the most part because there are so few cultural references in it.

You hit the nail on the head. I still love this show and I've probably seen the entire series at least 4 times.

Also, King of Queens doesn't hold up to Raymond. It usually follows up Raymond on TVLand and thats my cue to find the remote and change the channel.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
I've always hated and avoided the show just due to being told what to do. "Everyone" loves him? That's a stupid assumption. Don't tell me what to do.

Also, from what clips I've saw, I just didn't enjoy the typical suburban family sitcom humor.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't recall any scenes of him actually writing; usually he was coming out of his office saying he was done with his column. His character would complain about having to read something. Didn't he switch to writing books at some point? I remember him sending off a manuscript that was about 90 pages. He was a dumb guy character and not believable as a daily sportswriter.

Oct 25, 2017
So Deborah tells Ray her parents are getting a divorce and he laughs. Why does anyone put up with him?
She told him in really weird dramatic way. That was a nervous laugh.

I've always hated and avoided the show just due to being told what to do. "Everyone" loves him? That's a stupid assumption. Don't tell me what to do.

Also, from what clips I've saw, I just didn't enjoy the typical suburban family sitcom humor.
Are you serious?

MasterVampire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rewatching this show is weird as it's before smartphones.

They just sit around or watch tv and if Ray is out with Deb somewhere he just stands around.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So many haters here...smh.

Guy had a good life. Great job, wife, kids, seemed like everything went well for him so everyone loved him.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I always got the impression that his family still loved him no matter how much of a dumb-ass he was. The best episode was when Ray accidentally gave out condoms on Halloween because he ran out of candy.

Oct 25, 2017
Read this sentence out loud and tell me if it makes sense.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my all time favorites. He's hilarious and yes I'm a huge king of queens fan too

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
King of Queens is also a good sitcom. I still watch both regularly.

Kevin Can Wait...that was bad. The second season was abhorrent. The first was okay to bad.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I remember thinking this was an okay show when I watched a few episodes with my mom when I was younger.
I quickly realized every episode was basically the same and had the same recycled jokes over and over again.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't recall any scenes of him actually writing; usually he was coming out of his office saying he was done with his column. His character would complain about having to read something. Didn't he switch to writing books at some point? I remember him sending off a manuscript that was about 90 pages. He was a dumb guy character and not believable as a daily sportswriter.
Yeah, what a sitcom needs is a lot of scenes of a guy actually writing. The laughs would be endless.