• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Because I like the message board model and video game communities are some of the most resilient in adhering to that model.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Came to gaf and then here for games. Since I was already here for that, OT became a logical one stop shop replacement for other sites since news travels so quickly these days.

Between here and twitter, I generally don't have to go other places for entertainment related news.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I try to minimize my social media/streamer/forum exposure. Cutting it out entirely is best, but limiting it to just Era is still workable (as long as I don't post in more political threads).

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
I stared at the abyss too long and it stared back so I had to shitpost it.

Used to lurk gaming forums for news, then gaf came along and became my news aggregator, other sites became obnoxious with toxic stuff, then we all came to era

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Gaming used to be my main hobby and GAF was very active. Over the years, I've become less interested in games. I still play occasionally, so it's nice to see all the up to date news, however, a majority of my time in now spent with non gaming related topics.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I like having a low stakes social outlet where I can discuss my impressions of things. I feel like the quality of the conversation has declined since the glory days of the other site though.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a corporate spy and I am rewarded for propagandizing our product and seeking new ways to monetize credulous dolts. So I look for exploitable weaknesses in the pathologies of the group.
I've seen right through your tricks for years. I've been stymieing your efforts by ironically buying all of your games and ironically enjoying them a lot.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I like having a news aggregator without all the infinite scroll, ad infested garbage that's out there and I've been on this forum (or the one that shan't be named) forever.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
i play video games, wanted a discussion forum based around that, tried IGN first, it was a dumpster fire, then GAF which was great until my car accident, once i left the hospital in December 2017 it was literally like
giphy.gif

then i googled resetera after seeing it talked about there and found this place.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
There are some video games that I like, and I hope to continue to see the culture of criticism in the industry get stronger

Lmwanderer

Oct 27, 2017
Binghamton NY
Resetera is great for game news & discussion on one side & talk about general media as well as world topics on the other while giving a great sense of large community in an easily digestible wrapper. The community tends to be highly critical of just about anything & the sometimes diverse range of opinions give a good view of the broadness of a topic a lot of other places lack despite the often decisive tone conversations can take. There is a general civility here that most places have always lacked. Decorum and etiquette tend to be important just as the breadth of knowledge on a subject matter. It doesn't always exist, but it's not the Trainwreck other places are. So, check & double check.

I like the forum format though, I always have. Reddit is like a weird dinosaur stuck in minimalism between ezboard & newsgroups. I sometimes miss the accessibility of EZboards before the Yuzu/Tapatalk days just because it was easily customizable to have a semblance of aesthetically pleasing design while being so available during a period when the net was undergoing such early growth. Groups on Facebook are aproaching the concept & I'm involved with several old communities I was from then. It's the only reason I haven't left facebook.

I lurk more than anything right now just because the sheer glut of posts usually hit the beats of whatever I would have said before I even get into the discussion. Don't mind that at all. I chime in when I feel invested. I do think that there is something else that will supercede the current social media platforms in the future with a much better provided service. It will have to subsume forums though, not try to isolate them off into the ether. I think several services you can get through apps now are doing well. Discord is doing a great job with a lot of quick chat & Amino for art with the anchor of particular franchises and subject matters. The pieces are out there, just not the whole.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly news aggregation. Era as a collective have a lot of bad opinions, though. Hard to sift through that at times.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
I like forums, and reading discussions.

I never even visit the gaming side, and before era I used GAF a lot and used it for like 4 years before I even knew what GAF meant, or that the forum had anything to do with gaming. Just thought it had a gaming subforum.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Sometimes, I wonder the same question myself. This forum has mostly nice people so I stick around. Other forums have trolls or assholes and resetera does a decent job kicking them out.

I also write with the intention that no one will read my posts but if they do, it's a nice welcome.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like games but I really like the community, it's not a cesspool, you are interesting, funny, friendly and insightful and when the hammer falls, it's fair and you learn the error of your ways to understand topics better and be better. I honestly learn a lot and love the discussion across the news, random topics. It's great. Can't thank people enough for resetera.

Oct 3, 2019
I like games, and I like forums. I've drifted between forums since 99 and watched them mostly die out, except for Reddit and here, I guess. Gamefaqs is trash now (actually it always was, but I was too young to care back then). Same for 4chan. The other places I spent my time at are ghost towns.

I guess people use discord, but I'm so out of touch I barely understand what that is. I do like chatting in select twitch channels, not all streamers have shitty or super young communities.

Cyrus_Saren

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
Because I love video games. Also, I have no friends who really like to discuss them that much and figured this would be a good place to chat with like-minded individuals. Despite that, I mostly lurk on here because I feel I have nothing to contribute. It is a vicious circle.

Because it's a lightning fast news aggregator.

Also this.

Deleted member 32726

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I also posted on forums growing up. The old site had the news and some leaks. Now... I don't know why I do it now. No friends i guess.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Initially it was due to not being able to access any gaming content when I started my job out of college. A co-worker introduced me to GAF back in 2014, which wasn't blocked, so I made an account and started there. Over time I've come to enjoy off-topic, and as the first comment mentioned with it being a "lightning fast news aggregator" for both gaming and off-topic. Then there was that whole shitshow in 2017 and here I be.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I've been posting about videogames for a long time and it's nice to be in a space with people who share similar interests.