RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
They are a great escape, fun, something to do with friends, and following the industry always gives me something positive to look forward to in the future. (new game releases, etc)

Aug 30, 2020
For me it's really too many reasons.

I find them fun (physically, dopamine or seratonin (I don't know which) loop), engrossing (something to think about), and meaningful (fulfills some needs). I get enjoyment out of exploration (looking at environments, seeing new things, discovering secrets), and appreciation of the art (all types of art) of games. I find it a very palatable way to interact with storytelling (I enjoy volition). At times they're a great escape from reality (when I'm stressed). I enjoy the engineering, science, and math behind the technology, which interfaces with my career. They're nostalgic on the old end and exciting (and sometimes even concerning) on the new end. It's something to share with family and friends.

All that said I try not to allow games become too core to my identity, and they're not my only vein to experience all of these things in life.

Oct 27, 2017
Had this thread bookmarked, so might just as well reply. I'm playing games for pretty much as long as I remember, and the interest for the hobby itself was and is (and more than likely will be) consistently high - from the games themselves, to their design principles, to the gaming industry as a business realm, and finally to the craftsmanship and fusion of entertainment and art in general. I developed my preferences and values over time but always strive to exercise open mind towards less familiar things (same applies to the life in general too, of course). So for me games are a familiar yet everchanging ground that I'm excited about. I enjoy to immerse myself in a new story or to jump back into a long-running series that grew alongside me. I like to see a reflection of real world in games, as any art reflects its zeitgeist in one way or another. I admire the labor and skill of people involved in making games happen. I love talking about games with people who share the interest. It's a pretty holistic thing why I love games and playing them. And as with any artform, I most enjoy the unifying aspect of games - people should not get angry, or tribalized, or biased too much, they are much better off with mutual respect, reflection, introspection, and sharing. Idealistic, I know, but there is more than enough of this positivity out there, which this thread is dedicated to. So I do hope that most people eventually identify what good gaming brings to them, how it shapes them, and let it then flow naturally without friction. Enjoy games, people.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
Not an exact answer, but I've never been able to play video games "freely" or as much as I would like. When I was young my parents were pretty restrictive with it, and as I've grown up I'd probably rather play them than watch TV with my partner, but realise this isn't great for the relationship. I get this comes across as selfish, but it's so much more engaging for me than series's etc. So I kinda want to always play them when I'm in the house as it feels like I'm missing out.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It's really difficult to answer because it's part of my life since I was 4 or 5 (I am 34 now).
Overall, if I still play today, I would stay it's mostly because of the kind of different experience it can brings. It goes from toy fealing to very deep ones and goes throught trippy, weird or even to competitive.

I am very glad indie scene exist and is thrieving for that reason.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Mostly the stories and direction.

Getting a little taste of others cultures /places.

The reason why shenmue is my number one game to date.