• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why I made this thread
  • OP
    OP
    Vexii

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
    UK
    Okay I've had a good read of all of thread and the threadmarked FAQ, which has been very helpful in answering the question.

I wanted to reiterate why I made this thread and why I worded the title in the way that I did:

I understand that people have been vocal about this for a long time now, but most of the EGS discussion that happens, especially lately, happens within specific game announcement threads. Now, a game launching on the EGS with exclusivity isn't news to me, and so I don't often tend to click these threads because the news is a non-issue. This means that someone like me does not see why the issue is so prolific as I don't tend to enter those bubbles.

And in addition to that, most of the discussion around the EGS these days is mostly "Fuck Epic" and not a real discussion around why these people are saying that. Coming out of the Apple thread and more recently Crysis Remastered, all I saw was "I hope Epic lose this legal battle" and "I'll just buy the game in a year at a discount" and such. And so much of it, too! For someone who doesn't care about EGS exclusivity, this is obviously very surprising to me.

The title was phrased as such because I wanted people to give me individual opinions, and not just an explanation for why people in general hate the store - The reasoning there being that I wanted to make sure that I was exposed to individual people's thoughts without subscribing to the potential "fad" of hating Epic, which admittedly is what a lot of the hot takes seem(ed) to be. This thread has gone a long way in explaining that.

As for the issues that people have with it, I see that it mostly comes down to EGS not being as advanced as Steam and Epic's business practices - both fair discussions in their own rights. I'm still chewing on these topics because I don't want to be contrarian for the sake of it, but I do still find a lot of the heated discussion to still be disproportionate for some reason - So I'm going to continue following for a bit longer.

Hope this clears up some of the bafflement for why I created this thread!

Status
    Not open for further replies.