Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I personally let it slide in the P3 movies but only because we get window climbing spider aigis

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I'd love to see what Japanese players complain about when it comes to Western media. I agree with you though, the hate gets pretty annoying.
Yeah, it does. Every now and them you have people making threads complaining about anime tropes, girls with loud cute voices, linearity and long dialogue scenes. Don't these people realize that maybe, just maybe, the japanese audience LIKES this?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, it does. Every now and them you have people making threads complaining about anime tropes, girls with loud cute voices, linearity and long dialogue scenes. Don't these people realize that maybe, just maybe, the japanese audience LIKES this?

I... Try to be aware of this, and agree it can very quickly and easily slide into knocking what a country and culture enjoy (and indeed, I've felt a few similar threads to be very dubious for exactly that reason)... But this gag >90% of the time targets women in the bath and Japan is reaaally not known for having great respectable/equal treatment of women. Hell the Japanese Olympic committee just had its head honcho resign because of his remarks against women in high positions.

There's some degree of nuance to be had here. This isn't about high pitched voices for fictional/animated characters, but voyeuristic gags that intentionally (and illegally) creep on the opposite sex... The same sex that's already kicked down by men a lot of the time.

Last edited:

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I... Try to be aware of this, and agree it can very quickly and easily slide into knocking what a country and culture enjoy (and indeed, I've felt a few similar threads to be very dubious for exactly that reason)... But this gag >90% of the time targets women in the bath and Japan is reaaally not known for having great respectable/equal treatment of women. Hell the Japanese Olympic committee just had its head honcho resign because of his remarks against women in high positions.

There's some degree of nuance to be had here. This isn't about high pitched voices for fictional/animated characters, but voyeuristic gags that intentionally (and illegally) creep on the opposite sex... The same sex that's already kicked down by men a lot of the time.
I was talking about the hate boner in general that this forum clearly has over japanese pop culture tropes, not this one specifically (which is one of many). This one is problematic, a lot of them aren't and people keep making threads complaining about what other country likes. It's annoying.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was talking about the hate boner in general that this forum clearly has over japanese pop culture tropes, not this one specifically (which is one of many). This one is problematic, a lot of them aren't and people keep making threads complaining about what other country likes. It's annoying.

Oh sorry! Didn't mean to drop in and cut-off mid-context.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that was the worst one yet. The worst part is that they're so avoidable. They could've literally just yelled out "hey guys sorry we didn't realize the time had changed. Give us a minute to step out." Like, they fucking heard them coming in lol. So dumb.

Wakawun

Oct 27, 2017
As amusing as it sounds considering how very much "anime" the game is, Xenoblade 2 does what you said? There's a hot springs scene and there's no peeping toms or anything, it's just characters relaxing and the game doing some foreshadowing and character work.
Xenoblade 2 is the only time I've ever seen this horny anime trope used in a game to actually reveal character and not just skin.

The women truly were just hanging out and learning about each other. It was great.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
I may be in the minority but I don't mind the scene nor do I like it. Seems like something to just ignore while waiting on your next chance to talk to one of your companions kinda like the Hawaii trip.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Strikers i beleive has a pretty good story but then we get stuff like this

and i am like...really

Joker and Ryuji's reactions just annoy me

Hmm idk. I don't really have a problem with this scenes. Like, any teen would do that. It's not crazy that a teenager would ogle a friend he's attracted too. At least he didn't air grope her tits this time like he did in vanilla. Now THAT was weird. The weirdest part is that she took it really well.

Edit: On second thought, the focus on her boobs was unnecessary and the same exact message of "wow Anne is hot" would've been sent without it.

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Tales series takes pride in their hot springs scenes to the point where they try to "innovate" them in some form.

In Tales of Xillia 2, there is a secret ending where the characters get to relax in a co-ed bath, but instead it's just the girls relaxing while the guys are suffering in the belly of a talking doll seemingly on the verge of death.

In Tales of Berseria, the hot spring is a reward from a side quest, but this time the guys and gals swap bodies, and everyone suffers somewhat equally.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Little did you know the hot spring gag dates back to Persona 2 in an audio drama "The errors of their youth".

The gag plays out less tropey and it's actually funny.
I just googled this as I do not follow anything about audio dramas.

megamitensei.fandom.com

Persona 2: Innocent Sin ~ The Errors of Their Youth

Persona 2: Innocent Sin ~ The Errors of Their Youth (ペルソナ 2 罪と罰 果てしなき青春, Perusona tsu Tsumi to Batsu Hateshinaki Seishun) is a jumble CD containing drama and remixed vocal tracks. Apart from the first track, which serves as the prologue to the beginning of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, the rest...

Rumored Hot Spring Voyeur Incident
The party goes to a hot spring. Antics ensure.

"Antics ensue."

But seriously the games themselves don't have this trope.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see what Japanese players complain about when it comes to Western media. I agree with you though, the hate gets pretty annoying.
FhT76kX.jpg

The stereotype with American games is that the women look ugly, among other thing seen here.

From Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro.