sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kid Aloy is cute in a bulldog sort of way.

She's weird looking but that's okay.

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017
After seeing this from AC: Vallhala my standards changed

assassins-creed-valhalla-kids-ps5.original.jpg

This is great. I'm imaging someone going like "Kid models? Just make them weird adults!".

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Her eyes are kinda small and beady, I think that's where the shrunk adult face comes from. A head grows over time, but your eyes are pretty much fully formed from early on, so proportionally they should be bigger. Then again there are also kids with beady eyes, so I also get the ones complaining that this is just people shaming less good looking kids.

Another thing is that their faces are too shiny. Like the subsurface scattering doesn't account for the higher collagen.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I think young Aloy's hair is what makes it look a little off. Her face isn't that bad for videogame standards.
That Valhalla meme always gets me, though...

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Irony of "look like they belong in a Resident Evil game" is that RE actually have good kids models with proper animations. Even RE2's zombie girl looks more like a real kid than Aloy.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Aloy just looks weird... period 😂 Especially when you compare her current look to the original character design by the artist Loish.

But yes... the first time I saw child Aloy I thought to myself, she looks like young Clint Howard in a rockabilly wig. There's just something... off.

DF107329-B631-40-D8-B680-D84-DA47173-F7.jpg

(Ok, maybe she's not that trippy looking lol)

As far as adult Aloy, maybe it's her hair that annoys me more than anything? It just looks like a poof of nonsense on the top.

0-BB92643-8-E2-D-4-E97-9-D55-23365628-A398.jpg

I think the issue is Aloy's hair looks like a wig?

Yeah... I think that's one of the issues.

Last edited:

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Ev2YmA1XcAUKq5g

The kids definitely have a bit of that medieval 'I don't understand how children are supposed to look' look.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
This image is hysterical lmao

well I am just glad they didn't go for comic accurate look based on this pannel. I happened to randomly catch the movie The House with Clocks in its Walls on tv last night and they did a gag where Jack Black's character gets de-aged except his head and it was a bit unsightly.
image-asset.jpeg

Oct 8, 2019
Most video games research into how children look appears to be from the Love Guru

I remember playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey and every single male child seemed to be the same bald headed child who sounded exactly alike.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It being open world puts much more demand on how many man hours are needed to produce and polish the art. I personally think HZD looks better than your examples from Odyssey and what i think is Inquisition?
I don't think the issue with HZD is the amount of time devs could dedicate to polish the art. That game's best assets are its graphics after all, and it's evident that a lot of work went into making characters, they're packing a lot of detail, but the results hit the uncanny valley for some people - me included -, which is why I think the games I posted look better despite not being as technically advanced as HZD.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
www.ranker.com

Why Do Babies In Medieval Art Look Like Creepy Adults?

Infants in medieval art all have one thing in common: They don't look like babies. Instead, they resemble miniature versions of middle-aged men, sometimes complete with receding hairlines and ripped muscles. Depictions of weird, prematurely aged babies appeared throughout the medieval era and...
To be fair, my babies definitely went through that period where they resembled bald middle aged men.

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
well I am just glad they didn't go for comic accurate look based on this pannel. I happened to randomly catch the movie The House with Clocks in its Walls on tv last night and they did a gag where Jack Black's character gets de-aged except his head and it was a bit unsightly.
image-asset.jpeg
Jesus I thought that was a penis.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aloy just looks weird... period 😂 Especially when you compare her current look to the original character design by the artist Loish.

But yes... the first time I saw child Aloy I thought to myself, she looks like young Clint Howard in a rockabilly wig. There's just something... off.

DF107329-B631-40-D8-B680-D84-DA47173-F7.jpg

(Ok, maybe she's not that trippy looking lol)

As far as adult Aloy, maybe it's her hair that annoys me more than anything? It just looks like a poof of nonsense on the top.

0-BB92643-8-E2-D-4-E97-9-D55-23365628-A398.jpg

Yeah... I think that's one of the issues.

Agreed, that ugly poof makes her look silly.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Have you seen a real child before? These look like demon spawns
Agreed.

I noticed this in other games too, actually. The Witcher 3 I think for example.

Yeah, the people that don't see anything wrong would be the first to die in an horror movie
Lmao

After seeing this from AC: Vallhala my standards changed

assassins-creed-valhalla-kids-ps5.original.jpg
Cyberpunk comes to mind
46g9kqcydj861.jpg
Ok, that's enough internet for me today.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How they dare to show us a non-perfect kid with a bigger head. It absolutely neeeever exists anywhere ...

Best regards,
former big head kid

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
HZD does have an uncanny valley problem and imo it's more noticeable on the children for some reason.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I think the kids look fine even though Alloy as a kid doesn't really resemble her and the hair looks weird.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
image-asset.jpeg
Ugh. That was such a good book. They did not do it justice with that movie. :(

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
They look like real children. Not the usual super clean and stylized human character models.

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to understand what makes these kids so bad with some other interpretations of what constitutes a well animated/modelled child in a game - we make concessions on a per genre basis so I was narrowing it down to open world games, ultimately looking for some context. Personally when I make these forms of comparisons I tend to use like for like, hence the Mass Effect and Witcher comparisons. Ellie and Atreus are the main characters of their respective games, visible from start to end so Horizon's kids won't receive the same level of detail, exactly why I said Jack Marston is the gold standard (RDR2 is the gold standard with open world characters in animations overall no doubt). Completely forgot Ciri had scenes as a child in Witcher 3 but she looks great in comparison.

Btw I'm not interested in changing your opinion, I'm more interested in knowing more about your opinion and that usually involves comparisons to other games for me, especially successful attempts if we're to just say X game does thing wrong... Compared to what? You're clearly not the only poster here that thinks they look bad lol but your first response to me was just "yes" so I inquired further. I'm a curious boi.

Side note: Here's my Ryder, made it past most of the early sequences that people clowned OG Ryder for and she animates sooooo much better, I have no idea what they were doing with the base model, something with her cheeks just ain't right.

Mass-Effect-Andromeda-20210224025331.png
Yea base Ryder just looks super weird. My Ryder looked fine