entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Konami stopped caring about video game development and publishing.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
They may have been roughly in the same genre but SH was never as popular as RE.
From my understanding SH always had a hard time to sell more than 1 million and with the explosion of the budget required to release competitive products starting with with PS3/XB360 generation the series was headed for troubles regardless.

Cavsfan767

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Once team silent was no more, neither was SH. I find the first 4 silent hills to be far scarier than any resident evil. I do find RE games more "Fun" though. But SH 1-4 is horror perfection

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
You still have people working on Resident Evil that worked on the original games and personally I feel like that makes all the difference.

It doesn't help SH lost its team, it's major creative force after the fourth game either.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Capcom decided to save Resi after the terrible RE6. Konami didn't. Basically.
Konami apparently just wants to make mobile games now.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Because RE leaned hard into shooting & action and grew its audience as a result. Also Konami.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
SH never came close to the commercial heights that RE had already achieved. If I'm not mistaken, RE2 on PS1 sold better than the first three Silent HIll games combined.

I wasn't really talking about sales, more awareness and respect for the IP and its early defining games and their contributions to the genre. RE and SH together formed the popular image and immediate go-tos of "horror games" on PS1 and PS2.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It could've taken off if Konami didn't cancel a whole project that seemed very promising under the eye of Kojima.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill 2 was a pretty big event honestly. I remember it was front cover material. The graphics were unbelievable. I think the subject matter meant it would never be as huge.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Resident Evil is still relevant because the series changed formual several times in the last 20 years.

Silent Hill was always an inferior product compared to RE add Konami incompetence and here's your answer.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Silent Hill super natural approach never been for mainstream audience ( at least to me ), the game has a very unique specific style that only certain group of audience will like. RE is always more mainstream from the beginning, zombie, police, scientist, all usual sci-fi stuff.

I mean at least in japan, both franchise start from the same level, but first RE managed to reach 1 million over there and become AAA straight away ( RE2 took it even higher ), while first SH sale was ok, and it didn't improved much with SH2.

And during western dev outsourcing fiasco, Capcom decide to keep their main series in house while Konami throw it out to some random studios. With different trial and errors. Eventually it comes back to the internal studio which created a huge hype after PT demo, only to get killed off quickly after ( thx Konami ).

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Silent Hill 2 was a pretty big event honestly. I remember it was front cover material. The graphics were unbelievable. I think the subject matter meant it would never be as huge.
That's a bingo.

People would prefer to play as a cool special forces soldier or a rookie cop in Resident Evil, versus an ordinary civilian with some serious emotional baggage.

Zombies and monsters are an easier sell than... well, just monsters, but of a more visceral, fucked up variety, like door frame and mannequin based monsters.

The psychological horror and subject matter of Silent Hill is more generally disturbing and uncomfortable as well, which does more to divide people into love and hate camps.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The short answer is Konami (Marketing) but in the end it's harder to make a psychological thriller than a zombie game.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Konami doesn't have anything to do with this. Silent Hill was never as popular as RE. Heck, no Survival Horror series was popular as RE.

Resident Evil is simply more marketable and approachable. Silent Hill is a psychological horror in which half of the stories don't make sense if you don't start to dig into the lore and piece things together. The gameplay is also more slow and focused on puzzles, as oppose to Resident Evil, which got more action which each entry.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not hard to imagine or understand why abstract psychological horror that was the opposite of a power fantasy trip sold less than saturday morning cartoon zombie fare.

Most people preferred RE at the time, and in much larger numbers. Silent Hill was and is unapologetically weird.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill never had the potential RE had, there weren't OTT characters, lots of guns and rather lighthearted storylines. SH was psychological horror, pretty deep stuff. The character was an average joe and fought as such.

But the series did well, was well known and used by Sony in ads for exclusive games. Then Konami handed it out to lower rated developers and the games became average. Ultimately Konami went down the road they are in now and SH is one of the many franchises they abandoned.

RE has been shit too, but Capcom had always made them in house. They tried a different approach which didn't work out well and now they're back to the roots.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SH always seemed more niche than RE. It didn't help that each consecutive game was worse than it's predecessor. To be fair i think RE would have fallen as well had the series not reinvested itself with RE4.
The cracks were already starting to show with Code Veronica and RE Zero.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
RE has been shit too, but Capcom had always made them in house. They tried a different approach which didn't work out well and now they're back to the roots.

No, they tried different approach and work out well to certain point that it didn't work anymore, then they decide to change the approach again, and that is what make RE always fresh. Even when they take the series back to its root, they modernise it so the new player can join without much problem. SH on the other hand, always come out as the same kind of game , despite changing through multiple hands.

SH always seemed more niche than RE. It didn't help that each consecutive game was worse than it's predecessor. To be fair i think RE would have fallen as well had the series not reinvested itself with RE4.
The cracks were already starting to show with Code Veronica and RE Zero.

That's what I like about Capcom. As soon as they see the crack, they are not hesitated to change approach straight away. All of their series always go through that phase, up until it's completely dead and nothing can save it.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they should've kept Team Silent together, instead of whoring the property out to American developers that fundamentally misinterpreted its identity, resulting in such games as Shattered Memories and Book of Memories.
Much of Silent Hill's identity is copied wholesale from Jacob's Ladder, an American film. This isn't a negative thing. Jacob's Ladder is very good. But the identity of Silent Hill is not particularly complicated, not particularly difficult to understand, and not particularly difficult to imitate if a designer wishes. You don't need Team Silent to make an exceptional Silent HIll game, just as you don't need Sonic Team to make an exceptional Sonic game.

More to the point, Silent Hill 2 clashes with the first game thematically and narratively, which is something that tends to happen when the original writer and designer leaves, and you hand writing duties to one of the AI programmers, and directorial duties to one of the background designers. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they did a bad job, but rather that some people think Silent Hill 1-3 had some grand vision behind it. Some unifying grand design that spanned the first three games. But that wasn't true. Games like Origins and Shattered Memories and perhaps Downpour cop flack for "misunderstanding" Silent Hill in their varied interpretations, but Silent Hill 2 was guilty of the same thing.

The only "American" Silent Hill games were Homecoming and Book of Memories. Origins and Shattered Memories were British. Downpour was Czech. I've always liked the idea of handing game series to various studios around the world so each studio brings a unique cultural flavour to the work.
Maybe, years and years later, they should've realized what potential a Kojima directed, modern take on Silent Hill could've had, and done what they could to make that happen.
I've always found it interesting how many people objected to Sam Barlow making Silent Hill games (he wrote and directed Origins and Shattered Memories), but Hideo Kojima making Silent Hill was seen as totally fine. Even more startling is how PT was basically NOTHING LIKE SILENT HILL, but fans ate it up because it was Kojima. The way people immediately embraced Kojima making Silent Hill, and the animosity toward any developer or director who coincidentally wasn't Japanese always had an unpleasant whiff of Japanese supremacism -- something sadly common in gaming. It's eyebrow raising how something similar arose with Shinji Mikami and John Johanas in The Evil Within series.

Oct 25, 2017
It helped RE that for as weird as it controlled, it controlled well. SH games always felt like navigating a tanker through a sea of mud

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
Resident Evil, early on, twice successfully pivoted in tone and focus. REmake took the series from a schlocky, campy, cheese-fest and was able to market it as something darker, grimmer and more prestigious, while 4 then flipped the script further and managed to cast the series as an impeccably designed, propulsive, dramatic and tense action game. Resident Evil played to its strengths of intelligent game and level design and high production values.

I love the first three Silent Hill games, but they were always incredible narratives wrapped in clunky mechanics and overall design. The biggest problem with 2 has always been that it's a deeply considered, thought-provoking story and character arc mired by atrocious voice acting, poor combat and weak encounter design. Personally, while I can always appreciate 2, there's a glass barrier between me and its emotional core.

The narrative that Silent Hill is somehow 'better' than Resident Evil is something of a nonsense argument, because both developers were making two entirely different games. Resident Evil was design focused, taut and excellent direction that created games about difficult decision making and absorbing tension. Team Silent made games that funnelled much of their energy into storytelling and cohesive theming built around that. Neither is better or worse than the other, the difference is that Resident Evil managed to revamp itself successfully frequently over the years, while after 3, Silent Hill was turned into the same game with less and less inspired results each time.

Regardless, the true shame is that Siren never got the props it deserved. Siren is amazing.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Silent Hill was always more niche than Resident Evil ever would be. During SH's heyday, guess which film came out in 2002? Resident Evil. There was a Silent Hill movie, two even but how many people are going to raise their hands if I ask if you've seen it? Not a ton.

Zombies are cool, old gods, monsters as manifestations of guilt aren't as accessible.

Still a shame that Silent Hill Downpour didn't pull in bigger numbers.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
If Konami weren't a bunch of dumb assholes, we'd be enjoying PT/Silent Hills right now and debating whether RE2 Remake is better.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Silent Hill was always more niche than Resident Evil ever would be. During SH's heyday, guess which film came out in 2002? Resident Evil. There was a Silent Hill movie, two even but how many people are going to raise their hands if I ask if you've seen it? Not a ton.

Zombies are cool, old gods, monsters as manifestations of guilt aren't as accessible.

I thought it was a common consensus that both Silent Hill films were better than the Resident Evil film franchise.

The Silent Hill film actually did really, really great domestically.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I thought it was a common consensus that both Silent Hill films were better than the Resident Evil film franchise.

Quality aside, which is subjective (I didn't care for either silent hill film), Resident Evil film series got the eyeballs and is closer to being a household name.

First silent hill grossed 97 mil, second 56 million, first three resident evil movies all grossed over 100 million.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the identity of Silent Hill is not particularly complicated, not particularly difficult to understand, and not particularly difficult to imitate if a designer wishes. You don't need Team Silent to make an exceptional Silent HIll game, just as you don't need Sonic Team to make an exceptional Sonic game.
And yet not a single good or even middlingly decent Silent Hill game was produced after Team Silent disbanded? Themselves exhausted to the point of not enjoying or making The Room shine?

Nay, good sir or madam. That is a flawed as hell premise.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
You can't discount culture from the game. SH games monster design had a lot of Japanese horror sensibilities. American horror has different sensibilities. Not saying one is better than the other but it's not surprising that people wanted Konami to bring dev back to Japan.

Also seeing a prominent Japanese dev ibKojima work with one of the best horror manga artists to presumably revive an IP down in the dumps with a big budget was super exciting.

Also you realize PT's gameplay loop was not representative of the actual game right? Did you even see the end of the teaser? Sam walks into a desolate town/ city. Nothing about it indicated that it won't have elements of traditional Silent Hill.

So I don't understand your " will someone please think of our influential western designers" tone in every Silent Hill or Japanese game thread.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Well, as other stated: Konami. Shame really as I preferred Silent Hill to Resident Evil.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Survival horror genre was getting stagnant and Shinji Mikami saw the issue. They bailed out quickly and injected actions and casual fast paced gameplay into RE4. Those who were not RE fans were able to jump in the series, while Konami double down on the survival horror roadway to appease Silent Hill elitists who finds Resident Evil series dumb. (Thus creating the 2 groupd of RE fans)

RE4 made the series relevant again, while the survival horror genre continues to erode, thus ultimately Silent Hill (and the rest of the survival horror games to be fair, like Siren) went dead.

RE5 / RE6 copied RE4 formula, but we know what happened, and now they went back to survival horror game, considering the genre has already stayed dormant for a while.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Quality wise, everything on this planet is better than RE film ( personal opinion )

Sale wise 40-50 million for SH is not a great commercial success in movie world.
Not saying RE did much better but turns out it survive multiple releases and even have a re-imagine version in work. Thx to Mila Jovovich overlord ( I'm being sacarstic )

I like first SH movie, hate second one, and hate all RE movie.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Much of Silent Hill's identity is copied wholesale from Jacob's Ladder, an American film. This isn't a negative thing. Jacob's Ladder is very good. But the identity of Silent Hill is not particularly complicated, not particularly difficult to understand, and not particularly difficult to imitate if a designer wishes. You don't need Team Silent to make an exceptional Silent HIll game, just as you don't need Sonic Team to make an exceptional Sonic game.

More to the point, Silent Hill 2 clashes with the first game thematically and narratively, which is something that tends to happen when the original writer and designer leaves, and you hand writing duties to one of the AI programmers, and directorial duties to one of the background designers. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they did a bad job, but rather that some people think Silent Hill 1-3 had some grand vision behind it. Some unifying grand design that spanned the first three games. But that wasn't true. Games like Origins and Shattered Memories and perhaps Downpour cop flack for "misunderstanding" Silent Hill in their varied interpretations, but Silent Hill 2 was guilty of the same thing.

The only "American" Silent Hill games were Homecoming and Book of Memories. Origins and Shattered Memories were British. Downpour was Czech. I've always liked the idea of handing game series to various studios around the world so each studio brings a unique cultural flavour to the work.

I've always found it interesting how many people objected to Sam Barlow making Silent Hill games (he wrote and directed Origins and Shattered Memories), but Hideo Kojima making Silent Hill was seen as totally fine. Even more startling is how PT was basically NOTHING LIKE SILENT HILL, but fans ate it up because it was Kojima. The way people immediately embraced Kojima making Silent Hill, and the animosity toward any developer or director who coincidentally wasn't Japanese always had an unpleasant whiff of Japanese supremacism -- something sadly common in gaming. It's eyebrow raising how something similar arose with Shinji Mikami and John Johanas in The Evil Within series.
Silent Hill is the result of a distinctly Japanese take on an American town and characters, and I'm very satisfied with that. Whereas Resident Evil is a more archetypal, tropey take on American horror (haunted mansions, zombie outbreaks, badass cops in the lead roles), Silent Hill dares to innovate, and be weird and off-kilter in all the right ways. If the identity of Silent Hill isn't particularly difficult to understand or emulate, as you suggest, then we'd have gotten more quality titles by now. Maybe the very problem is actually that the formula of SH2 is easy to ape, which resulted in more emotional baggage storylines, like Origins and the others. All of the original four innovated in the right ways, to where something like SH4 is seen as very divisive, but still has a dedicated cult following (myself included).

SH2 isn't seen as a misinterpretation of SH, the reason for that being it's a one-off, not some template to follow where the town is this staging ground for a gauntlet of the protagonist's inner turmoil come to life, like they kept pushing with Origins, Homecoming, or Shattered Memories (not too sure about SM, I'm mostly assuming there, since the game was too bad for me to finish). The misunderstanding I speak of is that all these other developers aim to follow a "template" too closely. There's no innovation.

The comment about Japanese supremacy is outright bizarre, in my eyes, since the reason my sentiment is so common is actually quite simple: the original four, far and away best Silent Hill games came from Japan, specifically the ragtag Team Silent (I'm aware that it wasn't a cohesive team for all entries, members came and went). It was the perfect storm of talent and a willingness to innovate. Unless we're given another equally compelling SH title from somewhere else in the world, I'll just trust Japan with it more. I don't mean to imply supremacy, and now that I think on it more, I agree with you that we shouldn't be so quick to say a foreign studio wouldn't do as good of a job (some of the best Metroid games are by Retro Studios, an American dev). I'm not even a big Metal Gear fan, but I know Kojima to be anything but conventional or predictable, and so that's another reason why I wanted to see his and Del Toro's take on things. Silent Hill isn't supposed to be formulaic or stale. A Kojima and Del Toro partnership is anything but. The evidence? Just take a gander at what we've seen of Death Stranding.

Oh, and fair play calling me out for generalizing, and getting the details wrong about the country of origin for Shattered Memories. That was my mistake.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Of course Komani fucked up but at the same time Capcom did an amazing job managing Resident Evil. If RE4 wasn't a major change to the series, it possibly would have suffered a similar fate. They were even smart enough to do it a second time with RE7. There's a parallel universe out there somewhere where Silent Hill is still a successful series. Believe me.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
It's the same reason why The Walking Dead is more popular than Mulholland Drive.

And in general, horror genre is not so popular in any medium, unfortunately.

Transistor

Or else pizza is gonna send out for you
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

This really is the only reason.

Silent Hill 1 is an amazing film that perfectly captures the world of Silent Hill. In fact, it's only the last 5 minutes and the "exposition dump" that really kills the film.

Revelation 3D though? That was complete trash.

So the way I'd put it:

Silent Hill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Resident Evil films = Revelation

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Resident Evil is probably a title better suited for mass appeal. It was also willing to more or less create a game with design contrary to its roots in order to better fit what people wanted to play in the mid 2000s, essentially abandoning horror for a time.

There may have been brand mismanagement with Silent Hill, but it was never the type of series built for the kind of success that Resident Evil would see. Any attempt to replicate it would probably result in something that fans still wouldn't be happy with.