• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Why are you not going to buy an Xbox Series console?

• I have a PC and I will play the exclusives there.

• I have no interest in their games.

• I can't afford it.

• I can't justify another console purchase.

• I (have) | (will buy) an Xbox Series S|X console.

• Other, please comment.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Other: I have PC, and I might buy Xbox exclusives there if I'm interested. I don't think I have gotten a Xbox first party game on PC yet, not counting studios that became Xbox first party after purchase.

Oct 29, 2017
The "Xbox doesn't have anything for me" argument really surprises me, coming from people posting in a gaming enthusiasts forum.

It's totally reasonable to say that there's not enough on a given console that interests them to justify the purchase. But I'm gonna cast some side-eye at anyone who says there's nothing on Xbox/PS/Switch that interests them. At that point you're essentially acknowledging that your interest in specific games is driven 100% by the console manufacturer's name on the box. Like if Horizon Zero Dawn suddenly said Microsoft on the box instead of Sony you'd just magically lose all interest in it. Okay.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
I'm on the sidelines at the moment with a Switch and a 3080 PC. Even though a couple of my friends have PS5, they only play Destiny and that will be cross-platform soon enough.

I'm leaning towards the XSX for the living room system. Game Pass Ultimate is such a killer app for us that it's hard to imagine what Sony would bring to the table. I'm also not sure why people tend to think having a PC makes an Xbox redundant but not for PS5. If you love Sony first party, sure, but basically everything else on both comes to PC.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
The "Xbox doesn't have anything for me" argument really surprises me, coming from people posting in a gaming enthusiasts forum.
I suspect it's mostly people who never even gave it a shot and don't know what they're missing. Even me, who is mainly an Xbox gamer, I had no idea how good Sea of Thieves was and mostly ignored it until I finally gave it a shot with friends. Man, what a game. Now I'm REALLY excited about Everwild.

That's the issue if you're totally closed to all other platforms. Then again, time and money are constraints, but if that's the case, don't answer "I have no interest" because the poll is clearly not for you.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I already have an XSX, I might replace with a proper desktop in the future though. All I care is that I get access to gamepass.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
If I didn't have a PC with a 3080 in it I would have bought one, thank fuck for day 1 pc exclusives

Sevvybgoode

Oct 29, 2017
They are just letting their true colors show 🙃
I think ignoring the fact a lot of people don't find enough of interest to warrant an Xbox console purchase as pure fanboyism is naive. It's no secret that the Xbox one gen had a real issue with exclusives.

As somebody who has owned every Xbox since the launch of the original I'm someone who said the lack of exclusives was an issue. There were a few I enjoyed but overall I found even well received titles like Gears of War, Forza Horizon and Sea of thieves to be disappointing or lack innovation.

Im sure there will be games that tempt me eventually but those currently available and those that have been announced with a release date within this year aren't enough to warrant a £400+ purchase considering I have a PS5, Switch and an ever growing backlog.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If PC parts were viable to purchase atm I would have skipped the XSX. Unfortunately GPUs are super expensive and I need a CPU and SSD upgrade too. Blessing in disguise tho; it's a really good console experience.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
For now, my PC is my Xbox Series X. I wanted one but couldn't justify buying both a Series X and a PS5, so used my Series X money on a 3070 instead.

Xbox ecosystem is stellar and the fact that I can take full advantage of it while not having to buy more boxes than I need to is brilliant. Picked up a new Xbox Series controller though. It was a must.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't take too long for all the posts of people being amazed that others might have different tastes in games than them. Nah, its impossible people don't like the things I like, they must be console warriors or not True Gamerstm.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I suspect it's mostly people who never even gave it a shot and don't know what they're missing. Even me, who is mainly an Xbox gamer, I had no idea how good Sea of Thieves was and mostly ignored it until I finally gave it a shot with friends. Man, what a game. Now I'm REALLY excited about Everwild.

That's the issue if you're totally closed to all other platforms. Then again, time and money are constraints, but if that's the case, don't answer "I have no interest" because the poll is clearly not for you.

That's their fault then because these people would not be interested in FPS, immersive sims, racing games and WRPGs alltogether, which would be rare on an enthusiast forum. Those people truly are just missing out while feeling good about their (weird) choice. Especially with Xbox making accessibility easier and easier, I don't see why any option between cloud streaming to Android/soon iOS/PC/TVs, PC or console would not be one for said person. If people don't want to make the investment, that's fine. I don't think they will have no way to play the game though.

the_shadow085

Banned
Feb 28, 2020
I purchased every Xbox from the 1 to the One S. And each generation the MS machines were just collecting dust and were barley used as a gaming machine. This gen I cannot justify purchasing another tool and that is not going to used much. This gen I will be one console guy only. The console is of my choice is the ps5. For the MS exclusives I will get a new gaming laptop.

Although I prefer Sony I have no grudge against MS. From the technical standpoint their consoles are not bad I just do not resonate with their lineup of games.

Last edited:

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
They are just letting their true colors show 🙃
It's totally reasonable to say that there's not enough on a given console that interests them to justify the purchase. But I'm gonna cast some side-eye at anyone who says there's nothing on Xbox/PS/Switch that interests them. At that point you're essentially acknowledging that your interest in specific games is driven 100% by the console manufacturer's name on the box. Like if Horizon Zero Dawn suddenly said Microsoft on the box instead of Sony you'd just magically lose all interest in it. Okay.
Come on lol. Some people aren't into western games. Assuming it's fanboyism makes you look childish.

God of War and Horizon are very popular games. I'm unlikely to play either of them. I don't have that much time to game and I'd rather spend my time on some niche JRPG or yet another Souls play through.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I own a PC and plan to get a PS5 whenever they become more available. The only reason I'd buy a Series X is to be able to play my mountain of physical 360/OG Xbox games upscaled.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
That's their fault then because these people would not be interested in FPS, immersive sims, racing games and WRPGs alltogether, which would be rare on an enthusiast forum. Those people truly are just missing out while feeling good about their (weird) choice. Especially with Xbox making accessibility easier and easier, I don't see why any option between cloud streaming to Android/soon iOS/PC/TVs, PC or console would not be one for said person. If people don't want to make the investment, that's fine. I don't think they will have no way to play the game though.
Yup. in my opinion Xbox has an extremely diverse catalogue and is the king of shooters, racers, and now RPG among other things when it comes to consoles. People need to give the games a shot, whether that's on console, PC or mobile.
No need to, if a game they put out interests me I'll play it on pc
You know that's the first option in the poll right?

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
PC with 3080 hooked up to the 144hz/1440p Ultrawide, Series X hooked up to the LG OLED 65 inch. Best of both worlds.

Oct 10, 2020
I did buy one on day one. But I also got ps5 slightly later, also day one in Europe.
And with Xbox I'm really disappointed. Yes I have game pass. And at most it became my indie machine. The lack of new exclusives plus the fact that I simply prefer pretty much everything in ps5 really is what is quickly turning the device into a dust collector. Also a matter of personal preference I guess.
I'm still puzzled with the low number of complaints about the lack of games. There's one exclusive to Xbox since it released and I really found it utterly boring

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox doesn't have the exclusives I like. The last first party Microsoft game I bought was Age of Empires 3 when it originally released.

I also don't have the time for another console. I have my backlog still and I have enough for the next 6 months.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for exclusives. Bring them to me, and I will buy a Series X. Until then, I'm content with my One X.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

I mean I´d be surprised too if in two/three years if MS acquisitions start to ramp up people still throw this argument.
But today ? It´s a very solid argument.
Why would anyone that didn´t jump into One jump on Series now ? To play The Medium ?

Lexxism

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I have no interest to what Xbox is offering. Plus, having a PC makes the system redundant to me. If only PS exclusives games like Persona and FF come to the PC early, I might leave the PS ecosystem and just focus on PC and Switch.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They never list the games they are into

I have a feeling if Sea of Thieves came out on PS plus today as free we would already have a 400 page thread about how good it is and RARE is back baby and let's Pirate theme our avatar threads.

there are gems on there people just have to be willing to try them.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
Should have a choice of "not buying now and may buy in the future." That is where I am at. I have always been a PlayStation person... But, with the Bethesda acquisition and the value that Game Pass offers, I will likely buy one down the road once some of the "big guns" start coming out (i.e., the next Skyrim, Fallout, Starfield, etc.)

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
You know that's the first option in the poll right?

what a strange callout.

there are dozens of other posts saying the same thing. are you going to quote everyone who mentions PC now?

I'm also not sure why people tend to think having a PC makes an Xbox redundant but not for PS5. If you love Sony first party, sure, but basically everything else on both comes to PC.

Sounds like you answered your own question. I mean like 70% of this forum's populace decides what system to get primarily based on exclusives, so not sure why you're confused here.

Though recently (and I mean very recently), with Sony committing to bringing more of their games on PC, that differentiation is waning a bit. But again, this is only just now happening within the last few months. Still, don't be surprised to see a lot more PC/Nintendo only sentiments around here in the coming years.

Rubik8

Dec 5, 2018
I may buy one at some point, if the quality of the games becomes too good to miss. But I have generally avoided Microsoft and their ecosystem because I don't like the company and I don't trust them. I find it generally distasteful that a Goliath like MS (or pick whatever giant tech company you prefer) can just buy their way into a market without ever really building anything meaningful on their own.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I don´t have time to justify the purchase of a third platform.
But I´ll pay for a month whenever something that catches my eye releases. If/When xCloud becomes something decent where I live. Today is not.

That´s nice.
But that´s not a reality for a lot of people today.
xCloud still runs like shit in a lot of places.
Maybe one day will be something that can be used as argument for a majotity of players. Today is not.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 owner. Never intended to spend on two next gen consoles at the same time.

X can wait a couple of years.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
I have one. But looking back on it now I'm still just playing pubg and call of duty. Neither warrented jumping in right away. I also have 3 years of Gamepass and don't even use it.

smh I'm old

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Can't see in to the future, but for now it's the games on Xbox that don't interrest me. Evil Within 3 from Bethesda could change my mind though.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I don't really have time or need for two consoles. I won't write off getting a Series S at some point though

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I have a pc hooked up to my 65" TV and Xbox controllers. I'm good to go. Exclusive games absolutely sell hardware for me and the Xbox box itself no longer offers any exclusives.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
On principle. After the RROD I promised to never buy a Microsoft console again.

Well, maybe just for STALKER 2.