TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Button prompts should match the design of the rest of the HUD. Throwing out random ass colors when no other part of the UI matches with that gets on my nerves.

Plus the accessibility stuff already mentioned.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, the more minimalistic the HUD is, the better imo. Obviously that'll vary depending on the style of game, but I'd rather have a presentation with less obtrusive information being thrown in my face as I play. Helps with immersion for me, personally.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I hated that shit. Made the QTEs unnecessarily hard compared to GoW 1 and 2 when you had to keep looking at the edges of the screen rather than what was happening in the middle. Shit sucked.
Huh. I kept my eyes on the center of the screen and the prompts were big and distinctive enough to notice in my peripheral vision. Plus it was more intuitive to me to immediately connect the direction to the button press than the icon to the button press, personally. And I found I was able to see the animation better without the UI getting in the way of the good parts.

So IMO the GoW3 QTEs were an absolute win, and I'm sorry they weren't that way for you. I'm curious if it was because of a screen size/distance thing that kept the edges too far for you to use your peripheral vision to see the prompts, or if my strategy would've worked for you if you'd tried it but you lacked the faith in your peripheral (which is understandable: it was a new interface, and QTEs are stressful by design).

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Eh, the more minimalistic the HUD is, the better imo. Obviously that'll vary depending on the style of game, but I'd rather have a presentation with less obtrusive information being thrown in my face as I play. Helps with immersion for me, personally.
Right? I find that if a game is well enough designed to the point where I can either function without the HUD or function with only the essential information (such as combat which requires reading/prompts, then I like to have the HUD off. I recently restarted Xenoblade Chronicles X, and having the HUD off during exploration is honestly so amazing. You can appreciate the design of a game far more if you're engrossed in the world and not numbers. Some games need HUD elements to function. In this case, they should be minimalistic. I also get if people prefer having the HUD on, it's helpful. For me, unless the HUD is necessary, a cool part of the aesthetic, or much more helpful than not, it's going off.

Without a HUD, the design of the game is now laid bare completely with the successes and failures of the game world to clearly communicate necessary information visible. Truly great games where a HUD is not necessary, (like BotW, XCX, and many others) benefit from not having the HUD on.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Colourblindness, but probably more likely making it universal makes it so it's the same across different platforms / controllers.

OP
OP
Dolce

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Right? I find that if a game is well enough designed to the point where I can either function without the HUD or function with only the essential information (such as combat which requires reading/prompts, then I like to have the HUD off. I recently restarted Xenoblade Chronicles X, and having the HUD off during exploration is honestly so amazing. You can appreciate the design of a game far more if you're engrossed in the world and not numbers. Some games need HUD elements to function. In this case, they should be minimalistic. I also get if people prefer having the HUD on, it's helpful. For me, unless the HUD is necessary, a cool part of the aesthetic, or much more helpful than not, it's going off.

Without a HUD, the design of the game is now laid bare completely with the successes and failures of the game world to clearly communicate necessary information visible. Truly great games where a HUD is not necessary, (like BotW, XCX, and many others) benefit from not having the HUD on.

I'm the opposite, really. The more information a HUD conveys, the more immersed I am within the game. I find that pretty much every feature a game tries to convey through animations or the world works much better when it is also given through the HUD itself.

Video games can't properly tap into a lot of human senses, which work immediately, and a nice HUD is an extension of the human senses, for me.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Showing the button's position on the diamond, which we're seeing much more often these days, is much more informative and looks nicer. I don't hate the colors all the time but they can look truly awful sometimes

The Mario Odyssey UI is pretty jarring and ugly compared to the game it's a part of. All of the other mario UI's looked fun.
Odyssey went with a minimalist UI because it needs to be on screen a lot due to the capture system with it's dozens of different abilities. No other Mario game has a system like that so they could play around with more stylized looks. It also plays well with the diverse settings of the game, serving well as a neutral ground against which the various worlds can really pop. The only thing that should be held against it is the fact that it doesn't consistently show the buttons on the diamond. It uses the diamond only when burton prompts for two players are on screen which I don't think makes much sense

I've no idea why the coins isn't gold/yellow and the purple currency isn't...purple

I swear I remember that was the case in the game
They briefly turn yellow/purple when you collect a coin and are shown in yellow and purple in relevant menus but are white the rest of the time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps it's something to do with awareness of red/green colourblindness which is why they prefer to prioritise the graphic icons on buttons and the positions of the buttons for tutorials. Either that or graphic designers with a preference for minimalism (something I find a bit annoying when squinting at yet more tiny text in a barely-legible thin san-serif font).
I think this is it too.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I'm the opposite, really. The more information a HUD conveys, the more immersed I am within the game. I find that pretty much every feature a game tries to convey through animations or the world works much better when it is also given through the HUD itself.

Video games can't properly tap into a lot of human senses, which work immediately, and a nice HUD is an extension of the human senses, for me.
I can totally get that! While I'm not in the same boat, I will turn on the HUD or any elements of the HUD which I feel are necessary or not adequately portrayed to me. I also love the HUD's which are part of the world (Samus's Helmet) so long as they're not too intrusive

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I kept my eyes on the center of the screen and the prompts were big and distinctive enough to notice in my peripheral vision. Plus it was more intuitive to me to immediately connect the direction to the button press than the icon to the button press, personally. And I found I was able to see the animation better without the UI getting in the way of the good parts.

So IMO the GoW3 QTEs were an absolute win, and I'm sorry they weren't that way for you. I'm curious if it was because of a screen size/distance thing that kept the edges too far for you to use your peripheral vision to see the prompts, or if my strategy would've worked for you if you'd tried it but you lacked the faith in your peripheral (which is understandable: it was a new interface, and QTEs are stressful by design).

It definitely wasn't the screen size, I had the same problem with it on a 20-30 something inches SDTV when I played the PS3 version as I did with the PS4 port on a 53" HDTV. I just found it to be poor design as I often didn't quite notice what was going on in my peripheral vision because I was looking at the action in the middle of the screen. The placement on the screen relative to the button position to the controller is irrelevant to me, just show me the symbol and I'll know where the button is on the PS controller :p

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
all games should do what breath of the wild does.

Agreed. Couldn't be clearer.

2017022814174100-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Considering that modern controllers all have a uniform face-button layout, highlighting the relative position in addition to this seems like the right call for the purposes of accessibility.

A lot of Nintendo games do this now for the Switch - though it's probably due to the ability to rotate the Joy-Cons - they highlight button prompts with the four buttons (unlabeled) with the one you should press being highlighted.

lFBhJo6.jpg

This can, of course, be adapted well to the game's UI. Bayonetta, as an example, has a very stylized representation of this for QTEs, even going so far back as the original game's first release in 2009.

IA1tdDE.jpg

8xyYhtl.jpg

For accessibility purposes, it sidesteps any issues regarding colorblind-accessibility, while also making the physical relation of the button's position relative to other buttons apparent.

Yep, this is the best way, and it especially helps people who don't play games all the time and have the face button layout of a controller memorized.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I really like how Platinum does it in their games, where they depict the position of the button as well

maxresdefault.jpg

You could be completely unfamiliar with the controller you're using and it'd still be immediately intuitive

EDIT: Saw this was called out already, good shit

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Colorblindness is definitely a factor: depending on what kind of red-green blindness, A and B or A and Y are the same color.

Even with the button labeled, you're making it more ambiguous at a glance.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
the xbox 360 button colors being represented in games just remind me of cheap Xbox Live Indie Games for some reason

but yeah the best way of going about it is the pictured Breath of the Wild/Wonderful 101 examples above. Keeps things obvious while also maintaining the aesthetic sensibilities of the game itself.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I used to associate buttons with colors, but then every system did something different so I had to get used to the letters/symbols. Nintendo and Xbox having opposite AB and XY placements still fucks me up sometimes but my brain adapts pretty quickly. I agree that showing the button's position is the best way to do it. The four-button layout is standard, so it's a universal solution.

uwnJA6a.png

gjK8RnUl.jpeg

T7E40vNl.jpg

Jul 26, 2018
Colors are a standalone solution tho, I have trouble telling Y's green from A's yellow, so I need something else. Generally speaking, if colors are the cue (e.g. Plot legends), there should be another code (e.g. Yellow and dashed, green and solid).

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly prefer the mono coloured clean looking UI. It's also why I like the dualsense getting rid of the colours. I find the colours makes the UI look a bit messy tbh. Especially Xbox. The letter is enough.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
I'll take it a step further, I really miss colorful and stylized UIs in games. Both for the HUD, but also for menus and such in general. I feel like at some point in the last few years every game decided it needed to be sleek, slim, muted, and minimal, and I hate it. Shout-out to Persona 5 for avoiding that and having maybe my favorite HUD and UI of all time.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Modern ui and logos is all about being as bland and boring as possible. Give i a few years and it will change again.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
www.xbox.com

Xbox Accessories & Controllers | Xbox

Make your gaming experience more immersive with Xbox accessories and controllers for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One consoles, Windows, and mobile gaming.

They have a ton of controllers without them and even one of the S|X controllers is of that ilk.
True, though Elite aside, those still have colours on the controllers themselves as an indication.

They also use those button label colours in the console UI, unlike the other two as well.

Jan 21, 2019
I love the minimalism of such things so much, I dialed the saturation of my TV down to 0 so that everything was minimalistic. Colors are for kids. /s

I get why they do it and a coherent design is nice, but maybe there is a middle ground. Why not an option? Can't be that hard to have 2 types of button icons in the game.

Oct 28, 2017
Knowing that the A button is also green on an XBOX game or that X is also blue on a PlayStation game makes it so much easier to tell at a glance what button you're being asked to press. But for years now, no matter the console, I've noticed more and more games just making the UI black and white with no colors to indicate what button you're even pressing.

Are developers so afraid of colors that they think showing some colored button prompts is suddenly going to make their UI "childish" or "not slick" or something?

For myself, the fill colour on the button prompts looked very childish and often intruding into the game visuals with the bright colours.
Button prompts with relative position on the controller is a big help, but that isn't required all the time either.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I think the button prompts should match the rest of the UI. No reason to add colors to the prompts if the rest of the UI isn't colorful.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Are you people so challenged you need colours in addition to improve "readability"?

Not even kids need the colours these days. It just looks garish.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't say it ever bothered me. How long does it really take to learn button placements on a controller?

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
The monochrome prompts are more accessible by default and more likely to meet accessible contrast ratios against any color backgrounds.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Agreed. Couldn't be clearer.

2017022814174100-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg
That image reminds me of something BOTW does with colors that is simply an accessibility failure.

Look at the hearts. How much life does Link have remaining? If you can tell, congrats, you're not red colorblind! There's a contrast ratio of merely 1.7:1 going on between the red and the transparent grey there. It needs to be at least 3:1 if you're only using color to show information.

Make the current heart bigger, or have it pulse, give empty hearts an outline or turn them into dots. All of these could help, but no. Link has... some... life remaining. I think. He's not dead, at least.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
mainly for accessibility reasons since it would be more contrasted against any possible background, and also because it usually looks better.

Also sometimes colors are used within the UI design to mean specific things like danger or health and so the controller prompts should not interfere with that. Its just better to go monochrome with a position relative to the other buttons. I think Breath of the wild did that nicely. It shows the button in white, but also its location on the numpad or dpad.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
as a designer, using colors on the interface is troublesome because of the contrast and harmony with the background image (the game itself on the case). Some games do this well by using safezones or masks but is really complicated if the visual identity of the game is really colorful

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
Considering that modern controllers all have a uniform face-button layout, highlighting the relative position in addition to this seems like the right call for the purposes of accessibility.

A lot of Nintendo games do this now for the Switch - though it's probably due to the ability to rotate the Joy-Cons - they highlight button prompts with the four buttons (unlabeled) with the one you should press being highlighted.

lFBhJo6.jpg

This can, of course, be adapted well to the game's UI. Bayonetta, as an example, has a very stylized representation of this for QTEs, even going so far back as the original game's first release in 2009.

This is the way. With HD resolutions it's easy to represent the diamond without taking an obnoxious amount of screen space. It's really helpful for those of us who use multiple consoles / controllers.