• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I don't wanna judge because I don't know you or your life. But ordering laundry detergent from Amazon is like mindblowing to me. I didn't know people did that when the grocery store is right there.

It's actually cheaper to get a lot of these household items via Amazon. If you "subscribe" to regular shipments of detergent, cat food, soap and so on you get a discounted price. In addition if you have an Amazon credit card it's an additional 5% off. We get a huge box once a month with everything in it which not only saves us time and gas but is also costs less money.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Try making a list and have a designated day of the week you order everything and select the option to have everything delivered on a specific day (single order is key). The environment will thank you.
This never works though, especially when you order baby stuff for some reason. If I order diapers, they're guaranteed to show up by themselves. I've ordered 5-6 things and had them show up spread out through a week, sometimes 2-3 seperate deliveries on the same day.

Example - I ordered two boxes of diapers, a box of wipes, a set of new bottles, some detergent and a toy for my oldest. I got - both boxes of diapers in seperate deliveries on the same day, the wipes and detergent as seperate deliveries the next day, and my kids toy and the bottles the following day in the same box. I even clicked "as few deliveries as possible" option.

What am I supposed to do about the fucked up way Amazon sends me shit?

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because Amazon (or the company contracted by Amazon) is saddling too many stops on individual drivers, expecting them to deliver on time.

...and there's probably more stops due to more people ordering soap and detergent on line.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fuck this idiot for bringing me my laundry detergent at this hour. the nerve.
i don't think OP is saying "fuck these drivers for doing their job" dude. assuming this is Amazon's delivery service since Fedex, UPS and the USPS stop delivering at 7/8 PM, it's incredibly dumb and dangerous for Amazon to pressure their drivers presumably under the same conditions they do their warehouse workers, maximizing productivity at the expense of the worker. in this case it's actually inconveniencing the consumer, which flies in the face of Amazon's whole ethos

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
This never works though, especially when you order baby stuff for some reason. If I order diapers, they're guaranteed to show up by themselves. I've ordered 5-6 things and had them show up spread out through a week, sometimes 2-3 seperate deliveries on the same day.

Example - I ordered two boxes of diapers, a box of wipes, a set of new bottles, some detergent and a toy for my oldest. I got - both boxes of diapers in seperate deliveries on the same day, the wipes and detergent as seperate deliveries the next day, and my kids toy and the bottles the following day in the same box. I even clicked "as few deliveries as possible" option.

I've had success when I combine everything into a single order for delivery on a day of the week that you can specify, non 2 day shipping. But what works best is if you can subscribe to these products you use on a regular basis and get a single monthly delivery.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't think OP is saying "fuck these drivers for doing their job" dude. assuming this is Amazon's delivery service since Fedex, UPS and the USPS stop delivering at 7/8 PM, it's incredibly dumb and dangerous for Amazon to pressure their drivers presumably under the same conditions they do their warehouse workers, maximizing productivity at the expense of the worker. in this case it's actually inconveniencing the consumer, which flies in the face of Amazon's whole ethos
🤔 i wonder if i should support this kind of thing

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
The cynical side of me thinks amazon is doing this on purpose to push you to start using the "Prime Delivery Day" option.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I've had success when I combine everything into a single order for delivery on a specific day of the week, non 2 day shipping. But what works best is if you can subscribe to these products you use on a regular basis and get a single monthly delivery.
Yeah, I've tried to line up orders before and it never works. I don't subscribe, because I prefer just going and grabbing it at the store and only resort to ordering in a pinch. I'm just saying that you don't need to make small seperate orders for Amazon to totally fuck it up and split your deliveries to hell, is all.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I've tried to line up orders before and it never works. I don't subscribe, because I prefer just going and grabbing it at the store and only resort to ordering in a pinch. I'm just saying that you don't need to make small seperate orders for Amazon to totally fuck it up and split your deliveries to hell, is all.

This is true. You can have 5 items on a single order (2 day delivery) and they won't always be combined. If you opt for "specify day of the week" for say 5 days later they are, in my experience, much better.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wtf at the hostility in this thread. I don't know how clear I can make it - I just would like to not have my doorbell rang at 10:26 at night. That's all.

I'm not upset it's arriving late. I wouldn't even be upset if 90% of these things arrived in 5 days vs 3. I was merely asking if something had changed recently or if anyone else encountered something similar so I could maybe find a constant.

:(
Yeah wtf, I agree.

10pm door answering is just unprofessional. When you expect a package, it's at reasonable hours. Not this bs

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
will "take your time" delivery change when they arrive? I'll try that. 2 day delivery is rarely important to me.

You can schedule a specific day of the week to get your Amazon packages all at once if you don't need them ASAP. Select "prime day" delivery rather than 2 day and just pick your favorite day of the week. Amazon will consolidate and then deliver all at once.

You can still pick specific orders for next day or two day if needed.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm with you OP. They should not deliver that late. That's crazy. As are a lot of the responses in this thread. Don't sweat the hostility. It's just how things have gotten.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility toward another user.
Go to your damn local shop and stop making bezos richer, lazy fuck

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
hypothetical: game release Tue. Another game releases Fri. My wife needed laundry detergent. I ordered socks for my new cycling shoes. My daughter ran out of diapers. I may order those on the same day but they arrive on different days.

Yep, cause I live in the first world.
There should be an option "deliver all together". Alternatively take out the release games and order the other stuff first, order items packaged together, then order games to be delivered asap.

If you want a something asap then deal with 10 pm knocks and don't be an asshole to complain about late hour. It was not scheduled this way and it just happened because the workload is too high.

And if you REALLY urgently need something, you can still get it yourself from a nearby store, ya know?

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe they do this to be as safe as possible one item can't ruin another? (ie detergent exploding and destroying the diapers) or some crazy scenario?

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
i really do wonder how many of these holier than thou posters are likely getting something delivered by amazon this week.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i really do wonder what that post really means. people are largely hypocrites? that's not new. i don't think anyone is looking for a pat on the back, just for acknowledgement of the ridiculousness that logistics has become.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It's my understanding that the latest they should deliver is 9 p.m. I'd suggest giving Amazon some feedback, as I do think late-night deliveries set a bad precedent. It's a safety issue for customers, as it'll only get them used to answering their door when random strangers knock on it late at night. Plus, I have to imagine the carriers are working some really long hours to allow this to even happen.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
have a sign saying "do not disturb after 8pm"
Delivering at night and knocking is dangerous, they could be welcome by less amicable people, like a drunk with a gun.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I just order expensive parts for my PC the other day. They threw $700 of hardware at my door. Why the hell would they require you to sign for a detergent? Also why the hell aren't you buying that sort of this stuff at your local grocery store? Lol

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really only use Amazon (or online shopping in general) for stuff I can't get locally or within a reasonable drive for short notice. Buying laundry detergent and diapers of Amazon just seems weird to me. Why not just get it at one of the many local stores you undoubtedly pass each week?

Or do what most people do and plan a weekly shopping trip from your household essentials and groceries.

Trying not to judge because ultimately it doesn't matter to me how you do your shopping, but it's just weird to me.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
All packages have to go out or there could be customer complaints or red flags poping up in the system. And all of the delivery companies are constantly fighting over contracts.
Packages after 8pm will happen a lot during Thanksgiving to New Years.

Also Amazon is too convenient. For example I only get my laundry detergent Tide Pods on sale on Amazon because they usually are 40% off when I need them to be. I only shop at a grocery store when I absolutely need something fast.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I really only use Amazon (or online shopping in general) for stuff I can't get locally or within a reasonable drive for short notice. Buying laundry detergent and diapers of Amazon just seems weird to me. Why not just get it at one of the many local stores you undoubtedly pass each week?

Or do what most people do and plan a weekly shopping trip from your household essentials and groceries.

Trying not to judge because ultimately it doesn't matter to me how you do your shopping, but it's just weird to me.

Lower prices, saves time/gas, and offers a better selection.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lower prices, saves time/gas, and offers a better selection.

Are the lower prices worth this frustration though? You're not going to be saving that much.

And it's hardly saving on gas when you drive past a dozen stores that sell this stuff each week anyway. He'll I'd even bet that OP or anyone else is already in a store that sells this stuff at least once a week.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I feel you OP. I actually dropped Prime because having to deal with the different "fast" delivery services was actually a much bigger pain in this ass than choosing the "slower" regular postal service.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Are the lower prices worth this frustration though? You're not going to be saving that much.

And it's hardly saving on gas when you drive past a dozen stores that sell this stuff each week anyway. He'll I'd even bet that OP or anyone else is already in a store that sells this stuff at least once a week.

I don't personally have the issue the OP does. My deliveries show up in the afternoon.

It's not a lot of gas but it's still gas. And the time spent is a big deal. I am subscribed to probably 30 items that just show up when I want them to every month or every other month. There is great value here in the time I save. The cost savings is substantial on subscription items plus I get an additional 5% off everything for having an Amazon credit card.

Edit- to give one example I purchase 5 bags of trail mix each month that cost $5 each. Walmart has the same brand at the same price. By subscribing to this item I get them for $4.23 each. After 5% discount I'm saving over $4 a month on this one item.

Last edited:

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The wokeness in the thread is real!

OP, Amazon also seemed to have changed some stuff with deliveries lately in my region in France, dunno if that's really relevant since US amazon deliveries are operated a bit differently from what I understand.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Last week a canada post delivery person sat in their van and honked like an asshole in my driveway. Making me come out, and go to the van to sign for a package.

Before I came out I stared in disbelief, because I've never had a delivery person do that before.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Just get your packages delivered to a locker instead. Then you can pick it up at your convenience and there's no stress of having to sign for it on arrival or wondering if it will get stolen.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The strangest thing about this thread is how you order random items in separate orders. And people wonder why the environment is doomed :/
But yeah, delivers after 7pm are shitty if it was not appointed by you

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
At least in the US, Amazon uses a lot of their own drivers for some deliveries, so they can more or less push them as hard as they want and have them deliver much later than other delivery services would. And as Amazon gets more popular, it's only going to get worse.

I can't imagine how hellish it will be for the drivers come this holiday season, now that FedEx is no longer handling Amazon packages in the US.

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Isn't there an option for delivery instructions? There is on Amazon UK at least, I put in the access code for my building and just have it left at my front door.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Jesus the people pearl clutching over getting detergent delivered. Get a game delivered that fine, BUT NAPPIES AND DETERGENT, YOURE THE CAUSE OF GLOBAL WARMING YOU LAZY FUCK.