Status
Not open for further replies.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
hey resetera.

a few months ago, I was diagnosed with insulin resistant type 2 diabetes. it was a big shock as I am not massively obese and my diet is fairly balanced. my doctor thinks some of it is genetic and some of it is linked with lifestyle factors such as the fact that I am stupidly stressed out.

the first thing I did was see a dietician. he told me to go keto, and for about a month I did. however my bsls were swinging all over the place, I was perpetually hypo and i was getting pretty depressed. I went back to my gp and she told me to avoid restrictive diets like keto and just focus on cutting back sugars while enjoying life.

so that's what I've been doing! except my weight just keeps going up. since learning of my diagnosis in ~august, I've put on 5kg to round off at 80kg, which is the heaviest I have ever been. I was skinny growing up and entering adulthood so losing weight is new to me and I'm feeling really sad about it. I have pretty bad body dysmorphia and low self esteem so this is really hurting my mental health.

my gp has referred me to an endocrinologist to see if there's any other stuff going on that could explain the rapid weight gain - they've already ruled out pcos. until then, I thought I'd pick all your clever brains. please critique my diet and tell me what I'm doing wrong. an average day for me looks like this:

breakfast: 1 serving of low carb yogurt or 1 piece of low carb toast with vegemite

morning tea: 1 piece of fruit or ~3 cheese and crackers and unsweetened tea

lunch: garden or greek salad with light dressing or homemade soup with veggies

afternoon tea: a handful of almonds or ~3 cheese and crackers

dinner: fresh fish and salad, a piece of meat (chicken) and salad, or stir fry or curry without rice or noodles; takeout maybe once a week (usually japanese, i avoid rice)

i work an office job so i'm fairly sedentary. however i try to do a brisk 30-45min walk every day and recently i've been incorporating 30 mins of more moderate/high intensity cardio on most days. i drink socially maybe once a fortnight. i try to avoid juices and sugary drinks.

i know i shouldn't expect to lose half my body weight in only a few months, but the fact that i'm getting fatter is really bumming me out. i know my diet isn't perfect but i'm trying to eat nutritious food without yo-yo dieting, if that makes sense. i have to eat small meals throughout the day to make sure i don't go hypo.

please help me out if you can (but be gentle because this is a really anxiety provoking topic for me... i appreciate it). sorry for the essay and a half.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What are your beverages of the day? Those can sneak up on you.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
have you maybe tried Yoga? Maybe walking doesn't get your blood pumping enough. You'll be amazed at how much you sweat in yoga.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Hey that's really rough and I'm sorry to hear that. I can't give you much specific advice but try your best to keep up with the exercise on top of the diet changes. Definitely keep up with the fish and veggies.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
It's a huge pain in the ass, but have you ever tried just tracking your calories? You'd be surprised at how quickly they can add up.

DrBillRiverman

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
Hey Friendo, sorry to hear about the diagnosis and I hope that everything goes well. I hear it can be put into remission in certain circumstances so finger crossed.

As for your weight, as I understand it weight gain and loss is all based on calories in vs calories out. If you want to lose weight then maybe get a calorie tracking app like Myfitnesspal.

Oh and maybe pick up weight lifting. Lifting weights has a heavy after burn affect so it might help you keep on top of your sugar levels.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm...maybe cut out the snacks during tea. While eating smaller meals more times a day can be beneficial, if your 3 major meals are still the same portions and you are adding additional snacks on top of that, then you can still see weight gain. But it's hard to say without knowing your portions.

Also how is your mental health?

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
-Count calories (your daily diet seems pretty good on paper but you never know what's high in calories, don't really worry that much about carbs but keep note)
-Don't spend calories on drinks
-Exercise (When I was losing weight I walked 5 miles 3-5 days a week, maybe take up going to a gym or (my favorite) a rock climbing gym)
-Don't get discouraged. Things aren't gonna change overnight and even when you lose the weight, maintaining your desired weight can be challenging

Dec 25, 2018
walking 10k+ steps a day helped me a lot. Those calories add up and helped me lose a lot of weight personally. Also, watch sugars and overall don't over eat or anything.

Lean chicken is great, something called chicken chilli is amazing for losing weight.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
If that's all you're actually eating then your body is probably starving.

Track calories in something like Myfitnesspal for a month and then review.

Nov 1, 2017
Perhaps try intermittent fasting? As in... Making it a rule of absolutely no eating at all for longer periods during the day: possibly skipping breakfast and no snacking after dinner before sleep. Like an 8 hour eating window between 11am-7pm is what I do.

There is some evidence that ontop of making it easier to eat less calories for longer to lose weight, consistent intermittent fasting can possibly reverse insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. The positive changes to your insulin may be the key to why you should be doing this as well as eating clean and exercising.

Check these out:

If that doesn't work then you may have to start counting your calories as well.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like your endo or GP wasn't on same page as your dietician if you were having lows from keto. Your insulin needs should be severely reduced or eliminated from that diet and using your Normal dosage is what is fucking up your blood sugar

another relatively recent type 2 victim here. Insulin isn't even usually prescribed immediately for type 2 (it was for me as well but I was hospitalized at diagnosis)

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
what height are you? 80kg for me is about right on the bmi scale and I am 5 foot 10

im a fairly hardcore runner and eat well mostly

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
Best thing I ever did was accurately track my calories and eat at a deficit. It's very easy to thi k you're eating less than you actually are.

El Bombastico

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
-Track your calories. You may well still be eating a lot and not realize it.

-Drink only water, or if you must, diet soda or anything you are sure has zero calories in it.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always personally only eaten one large meal per day at around 4pm and I'm good. I also drink a ton of water which probably helps.

Eating four times per day seems a tad excessive unless you're trying to build muscle mass. Maybe try and scale back to eating twice per day. Losing weight is all about calories.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I thought this was going to be about Wii Fit U lol.

But what worked for me was intermittent fasting. I stopped eating until after 2:00 pm. And I only eat until 8:00 pm. I also incorporated Green Tea regularly in the morning and afternoons. 35lbs lost in 6 months and feel great. High blood pressure and temporary diabetes averted.

Good luck my friend. It is a hard journey and nothing works for everyone. Just keep at it.

deftech

Oct 29, 2017
Perhaps try intermittent fasting? As in... Making it a rule of absolutely no eating at all for longer periods during the day: possibly skipping breakfast and no snacking after dinner before sleep. Like an 8 hour eating window between 11am-7pm is what I do.

There is some evidence that ontop of making it easier to eat less calories for longer to lose weight, consistent intermittent fasting can possibly reverse insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. The positive changes to your insulin may be the key to why you should be doing this as well as eating clean and exercising.

If that doesn't work then you may have to start counting your calories as well.

This is what I was going to suggest. I lost a bunch of weight when I did IF (while lifting weights/running daily as well).

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Unfortunately, I don't know much about diabetes, but I do have thyroid disease (Graves' disease specifically), and weight gain is one of the symptoms I've had to deal with over the years. You may want to wait and see what happens with the endocrinologist, since your weight gain could be due to an underactive thyroid or a similar issue which you may need medication for. Changes in diet can also affect metabolism, as you've already experienced, so they may have some suggestions there as well.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeh check calories OP, that is the biggest trip. You're probably going to need to cut out that cheese. You say three crackers... but how much are you putting on them?

OP
OP
fleet

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
thanks everyone for all of your advice and support so far.

Not found: calorie counts anywhere in your post.

my gp and my psychologist have told me not to count calories as it fucks my mental health a bit. i can get really obsessive and then eat less than i should be, which sends me into a hypo state that is pretty dangerous for my health (i faint). i know that it's calories in and out but my portion sizes are fairly small and i keep track of what i'm eating in a diary so that i'm not "sneaking in" food throughout the day.

I've always personally only eaten one large meal per day at around 4pm and I'm good. I also drink a ton of water which probably helps.

Eating four times per day seems a tad excessive unless you're trying to build muscle mass. Maybe try and scale back to eating twice per day. Losing weight is all about calories.

i have to do this for the reasons above - if i have large meals with nothing in between my blood sugar crashes and i get really sick and lethargic. thanks for your advice though i appreciate it.
what height are you? 80kg for me is about right on the bmi scale and I am 5 foot 10

im a fairly hardcore runner and eat well mostly

i'm a female at like 168cm. i've got a narrow waist and big hips naturally so i've never been a stick, but it's my stomach where the weight gain has been most apparent recently.

OP
OP
fleet

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
thanks everybody for all the kind words and advice so far, i'm reading them all.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
I'm no doctor but fasting sound like a bad idea. I was morbidly obese weighing in at 250. I lost it all within a year down to 170 by purely being sensible. 3 meals a day, cut out unhealthy stuff like sweets and crisps and start exercising. It's ridiculously simple.

but the OP has diabetes, so I'm not sure what is advisable in this case

oddez

Oct 26, 2017
I rarely reply to threads, but since this is important: how fat you are doesn't actually affect diabetes that much. Now you have it, focus on eating foods which do not come with a huge insulin response. Protein heavy foods please, green veg or meat, sea food being especially good. Avoid added sugar and refined carbs, like white bread. Any carbs you do eat, try to get fibre with them. Brown bread, brown rice, etc. Exercise and weight lifting is also recommended, but frankly isn't as important as your diet. Avoid smoothies and drinking your calories, eating actual pieces of fruit is dozens of times better. Plenty of water obviously. Diabetes sucks and can have a major impact on your life, but avoiding insulinogenic foods can massively help. Keto diets have, anecdotally, really helped people with diabetes, but I'd experiment with that and do research at your own discretion. There's no easy answer to this sort of thing, but cutting out added sugar and avoiding refined carbohydrates is really the least you can do. Apps like MyFitnessPal, as has been recommended, can help, but the calories really do not matter as much as the macronutrient content of your food. Use the app to track your food, and make mental notes of what is carb dense, compared to what is protein dense. Protein dense foods will take longer to digest, while not triggering an insulin response like carbs and sugar will. I'm sorry you have to deal with this, and good luck in the future pal.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

my gp and my psychologist have told me not to count calories as it fucks my mental health a bit. i can get really obsessive and then eat less than i should be, which sends me into a hypo state that is pretty dangerous for my health (i faint). i know that it's calories in and out but my portion sizes are fairly small and i keep track of what i'm eating in a diary so that i'm not "sneaking in" food throughout the day.

i have to do this for the reasons above - if i have large meals with nothing in between my blood sugar crashes and i get really sick and lethargic. thanks for your advice though i appreciate it.

i'm a female at like 168cm. i've got a narrow waist and big hips naturally so i've never been a stick, but it's my stomach where the weight gain has been most apparent recently.
As hard as it might be, you really do need to count your calories to be sure, it's the first thing you need to eliminate.

That cheese does stand out to me...

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, either you're misjudging how much you are actually eating, or you've got some other issue going on. Every time I stall I go back to counting calories to make sure I'm not just assuming my healthier eating habits that I've acquired are still enough to lose weight.

OP
OP
fleet

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
As hard as it might be, you really do need to count your calories to be sure, it's the first thing you need to eliminate.

That cheese does stand out to me...

think a 2cm by 2cm piece of cheese on a savoury cracker, times 3.

I rarely reply to threads, but since this is important: how fat you are doesn't actually affect diabetes that much. Now you have it, focus on eating foods which do not come with a huge insulin response. Protein heavy foods please, green veg or meat, sea food being especially good. Avoid added sugar and refined carbs, like white bread. Any carbs you do eat, try to get fibre with them. Brown bread, brown rice, etc. Exercise and weight lifting is also recommended, but frankly isn't as important as your diet. Avoid smoothies and drinking your calories, eating actual pieces of fruit is dozens of times better. Plenty of water obviously. Diabetes sucks and can have a major impact on your life, but avoiding insulinogenic foods can massively help. Keto diets have, anecdotally, really helped people with diabetes, but I'd experiment with that and do research at your own discretion. There's no easy answer to this sort of thing, but cutting out added sugar and avoiding refined carbohydrates is really the least you can do. Apps like MyFitnessPal, as has been recommended, can help, but the calories really do not matter as much as the macronutrient content of your food. Use the app to track your food, and make mental notes of what is carb dense, compared to what is protein dense. Protein dense foods will take longer to digest, while not triggering an insulin response like carbs and sugar will. I'm sorry you have to deal with this, and good luck in the future pal.

this is pretty much the advice that i've been given by my gp/dietician and it's how i've been trying to eat. less carbs, less sugar, medium fat and high protein, lots of veggies, lots of water, no sugary drinks or lollies, less processed food.

Oct 28, 2017
Dependent on how much carbs and sugar you used to consume, it can literally take a month for your body to shift into ketosis. Once you do though, your body is literally consuming fat for energy. I'm no doctor, but I lost 50lbs on keto in a few months before I dropped to 145 and stopped out of fear of losing too much. I'm actually just starting it again myself after eating like crap and working in an office.

IF is also a huge help. Just watch your macros and pay attention to your electrolytes and you'll be solid.

Listen to your doctor though obvs, I'm just some random dude on a video game forum.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no doctor but fasting sound like a bad idea. I was morbidly obese weighing in at 250. I lost it all within a year down to 170 by purely being sensible. 3 meals a day, cut out unhealthy stuff like sweets and crisps and start exercising. It's ridiculously simple.

Fasting and keto both lower insulin resistance which is what causes type 2.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017

calorie counting seems a chore to me, but certainly works well for others. If you can restrict snaking and just eat healthy foods and keep moving I reckon results will happen. When I started to lose weight I weighed myself almost every day and sometimes for no apparent reason I went up which can very discouraging. Just keep believing and stick to a sensible diet. It will work

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Dependent on how much carbs and sugar you used to consume, it can literally take a month for your body to shift into ketosis. Once you do though, your body is literally consuming fat for energy. I'm no doctor, but I lost 50lbs on keto in a few months before I dropped to 145 and stopped out of fear of losing too much. I'm actually just starting it again myself after eating like crap and working in an office.

You are confusing ketosis for full fat adaptation, which can take 30-90 days. Ketosis can happen very quickly in the complete absence of carbs.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Calorie in < Calorie out.

It's that simple. Either you eat more than you burn or you burn less than you eat. Roughly count your calories. Avoid non-diet drinks like it's the plague.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Keep at it OP. Diabetics have a hard time losing weight. Try and stay committed.

Nov 1, 2017

The good news is that you don't really have to fast for 24+ hours to make a difference... It can be as simple and easy as not eating anything with calories 4 hours after waking, 4 hours before sleeping. That's an extra 8 hours a day you're snacking and consuming calories so your body has more opportunity to lower its blood sugar and insulin to start burning fat.

OP
OP
fleet

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
Keep at it OP. Diabetics have a hard time losing weight. Try and stay committed.

comments like this are really encouraging, thank you very much for your kindness.

The good news is that you don't really have to fast for 24+ hours to make a difference... It can be as simple and easy as not eating anything with calories for an extra 8 hours a day - 4 hours after waking, 4 hours before sleeping.

i do this a little bit. i eat dinner at like 6pm and don't eat until breakfast the next day at ~7.30

OP
OP
fleet

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
thanks again everyone. it looks like the most prevalent advice is to count calories. i don't know if it's a great idea for me but i'll try pick up that habit again and see how i go.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference? Is ketosis just producing ketones?

Fat Adaptation is when your body starts to prefer fat as a fuel source rather than just using it because you are in ketosis. Ketosis can happen in a day or two. We'd be pretty shitty at surviving if we died if we went carbless after a couple days. Hunger ceases to be an issue when fully adapted and your athletic performance (which usually suffers vs carb fueled) starts to pick up. If you have fatigue issues on keto then becoming adapted should fix that as well. It's basically the final form of keto, where it becomes routine. It also lessens the impact of a day of normal, carby eating.

If people want to try keto, I recommend sticking with it for at least 3 months.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I know you went to an endocrinologist, but did they test your thyroid hormone levels? The weight gain could be thyroid related.

OP
OP
fleet

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
I know you went to an endocrinologist, but did they test your thyroid hormone levels? The weight gain could be thyroid related.

i've had a bunch of blood tests done and i assume somewhere in there they've tested for it. i really wish it was that easy, like all i had to do was fix some chemical imbalance and bam i'm losing weight. i'm trying not to hold out hope for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.