• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JIF always sounded better to me and more distinct from the hard G. Seems like the developer thought so too since that's what he called it.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
PBF020-Skub.gif

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why would I care about how some dumb boomer pronounces it? It's hard G.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Where did this rule come from where an acronym has to inherit the pronunciation of its components?

Also, lol @ English having rules, esp. in regards to pronunciation. Shits all over the place.
That's not at all a rule so it was silly to bring up. Many of the most used acronyms don't use the individual word pronunciations.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
When I was young, before gifs were always animated and just another image format, I pronounced it soft-G "Gif" like the peanut butter brand. Someone shamed me for that in college in the early 2000s, and I stopped calling it gif and went to gif hard G, but I take solace knowing that my first inclination was the right one from the inventor of the file type.

I call it a "Gif" with a hard G now and have for ~20 years but... the way it was intended was a soft G and now I just don't care enough.

That's not a good arugment. How do you pronounce ASCII? American Standard Code for Eenformation Eenterchange? Or SCUBA? Self-Contained Oonderwater Breathing Apparatus.

This is a great example

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
I'm old enough to remember when .JPG was also .JIF. So, it can't be pronounced "JIF". That name was already taken.

Besides, I work with graphics not jrafics.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
There is absolutely nothing anyone can say or do that will get me to start pronouncing it as "jif".
exactly.

and using the "he's the parent of the thing so he gets to call it whatever" doesnt really work because we're not talking about a person. We're talking about Graphics Interchange Format, not the Jraphics Interchange Format.
He's the idiot, not the rest of us.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Jif is/was the name of a toilet cleaner or something over here so even if you had told me that gif is pronounced jif - I wouldn't have pronounced it thusly. Jif sounds stupid to me even now. Should have named the acronym Jif is they wanted it to be Jif.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It's okay for something to have multiple pronunciations. Frankly, it's not as though mistakes adopted by the masses haven't been considered the "correct" choice in plenty of other cases, but it's especially prevalent in language. If enough people use a misspelling or mispronunciation or whatever on a regular basis, then it needs to be observed as valid in some sense.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
exactly.

and using the "he's the parent of the thing so he gets to call it whatever" doesnt really work because we're not talking about a person. We're talking about Graphics Interchange Format, not the Jraphics Interchange Format.
He's the idiot, not the rest of us.

Came here to make this emphatically. I cannot express how incensed I get when some smart arse says "the inventor said it so you must be wrong", like by inventing something using a technology you get to change the pronunciation and etymological language rules of the word. He's wrong and if you quote him you're wrong

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Graphics
Interchange
Format

Of course it's a hard G- it's not jraphics.
But... what if...
Giraffe
Interchange
Format
its a hard G, language has rules, you dont pronunce gift with a soft g,
Languages have rules, but English breaks so many so often it might as well not have them, at times. There's a reason it's one of the hardest to learn.

I really don't have any skin in this game, I'll say it however the hell I feel. I'm not going to let a blowhard that thinks they're right on either side of the nonsense debate tell me I'm wrong. It doesn't matter if everyone knows what we mean. Unless we're talking about peanut butter.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Despite the anime always calling them poh Kay mon since day one up till the present day, I still hear more people say po kee Mon.

That said... Jif is an abomination and I'll never use it even if I will always pronounce Pokemon correctly.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gentle
giraffe
generous
giant
gentlemen
generation
generate
gem

soft Gs exist. they move in silence, like lasagna.

I'm on team hard G tho. but it really doesn't matter. If y'all know what i mean when i ask about that "ghif" or "jhif", that's good enough for me.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Came here to make this emphatically. I cannot express how incensed I get when some smart arse says "the inventor said it so you must be wrong", like by inventing something using a technology you get to change the pronunciation and etymological language rules of the word. He's wrong and if you quote him you're wrong
Language rules for the words behind acronyms have little to do with how the acronym itself gets pronounced. If anything, acronyms prove that they are able to have their own pronunciation that doesn't hint at the pronunciation of the words inspiring it.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Language rules for the words behind acronyms have little to do with how the acronym itself gets pronounced. If anything, acronyms prove that they are able to have their own pronunciation that doesn't hint at the pronunciation of the words inspiring it.

No, that proves that false pronunciations often gain some footing, like it has with anyone who is going round saying Jif

You got any examples, out of curiosity?

Re reading your OP and your argument seems to be that his is allowed to give the thing a name, like a parent? Is that really what's happened when its an acronym?

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
its a hard G, language has rules, you dont pronunce gift with a soft g,

language does have rules! Which is why 'Gift' is an exception and normally 'I', 'e' and 'y' after a 'G' make it soft. ;P

It's usually Latin based loan words And standard English that do it. Germanic derived English uses the hard 'G'. I learned French when I was younger (a decade before I would ever experience a .gif and I go for the soft 'G'. I wonder if you have exposure to Latin based languages if you're more likely to follow the (correct!) soft g pronunciation?

Its also a new word. The acronym part doesn't matter! If you're out there repping your Gift-GIF you better also be pronouncing sonar as 'Sawnar'.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Gif sounds 1000x better to say than Jif, which happens to already belong to a peanut butter brand.