• Isabelle

Votes: 1,438 61.4%
  • Waluigi

Votes: 903 38.6%

• Total voters

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Waluigi is that man that everyone knows about, but it is just there. He is nothing special. I love Waluigi though.

Isabelle is a a celebrity among the million of players who bought Animal Crossing. People who don't know Isabelle just don't care about Animal Crossing.

SieteBlanco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who is in the cover of Mario Kart 8 DX? Not Waluigi.

00183110705494____1__640x640.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Man this place is a bubble

Ppl whove never played AC dont know who isabelle is

Anyone whose played Mario Kart, Mario Party, and mario sports game knows Waluigi

Not to mention how big his memes are on big pages like Bardock Obama etc

Oct 25, 2017
I bet more people would be able to recognize Waluigi as belonging to the Mario games and by name than Isabelle after all the Mario Parties and Karts and Sports, though less so after yesterday's blowout.

But on the other hand there is probably much more passionate love out there for the dog.

Who is in the cover of Mario Kart 8 DX? Not Waluigi.

00183110705494____1__640x640.jpg

o shit

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has sold over 50 million total, but kind of has more games than AC.

It's also been around for two more decades...some people born after the first game he was in already have grandkids. And in a few more years they might be playing an Animal Crossing game lol

And I don't care about him getting in any games, or the memes, I've always liked him. It's unfortunate how many people around here generalize as if memes are the only reason anyone cares.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Popularity is hard to pin down, but I think in this case the people making a distinction between well-liked and well-known are right.

Waluigi is probably more well-known because
1. His design and name are purposefully derivative of a couple of the most iconic characters in video games.
2. He's been around longer.

Isabelle is probably more popular, in the sense that she is well-liked, because she is the face of a massive franchise and people only ever talk about her BECAUSE they like her. She isn't a meme or a sidekick. She isn't a tennis partner or an evil twin. She's just an undeniably adored character in her own right.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I'm not nintendo fan and I barely heard of Isabelle before last direct (I think I've seen maybe a couple of screenshots at most). As far as nintendo franchises go, Animal Crossing is niche. Slightly more popular than Metroid or Fire Emblem, but still niche.
The most recent Animal Crossing has probably sort more than every Metroid game combined.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
waluigi isn't even fit to lick the dirt off the bottom of Isabelle's shoes in terms of popularity.

She's the face of one of the biggest franchises Nintendo owns, he's the worthless idiot that will never be anything more than warios tennis partner.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I've never played Animal crossing but I have played Mario Tennis and some games that Waluigi do appear in....

That saying...I vote for Isabelle :3

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
People in here really using the "well I've never heard of her, so the other one must be more popular" angle?

Isabelle appeals to a much larger crowd than Waluigi does. And it's not the crowd that typically hangs out on gaming forums. Waluigi is no doubt more popular (or, at the very least, recognizable) among "gamerz" because of his association with actual iconic characters like Mario and Luigi, but Isabelle is iconic in and of herself. Isabelle is by FAR the more popular character, and your limited experience personal with Nintendo's "newer" IPs and characters is irrelevant in determining how recognizable a character is on a grand scale.

edit: Also, people actually like Isabelle, which is pretty important when determining popularity.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like Waluigi but it has been really painful seeing so many people take him too seriously lately

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
People actually liked Isabelle since her debut. Meanwhile it took Nintendo over a decade to find Waluigi a distinct character trait that separates him from Wario.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
I'll be honest, had to Google Isabelle, while I had at least seen Waluigi around before, and became even more familiar with him after he attained meme status, you even have people making mini-documentaries about Waluigi since he became a meme.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Is this Waluigi thing more like an ironic meme that went too far or what? Like when people tricked Sony into making a Knack 2?

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Never heard of Isabelle until yesterday, who is a character in a kids game. So Waluigi is easily more popular
Animal Crossing is mostly popular with adults, who after a busy week want to live a simple town life. It's especially a hit with older women.
So it might be that you aren't in the target demography and missed it. It's part of Nintendo diversifying its protfolio to broaden its audience. A new generation of Nintendo games.

Despite having fewer entries, Animal Crossing main entries sell at the same level as Zelda games:
https://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Animal_Crossing
https://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda

It has also a lot more merchandise potential with cute animal plushies, edutainment potential, as well as an anime, so it has appeal outside of games as well, for non-gamers.

Due to that I would put Animal Crossing in or close to the top 3 most lucrative IPs for Nintendo at the moment.

(If I exclude things like Mario Kart that I consider as a subset of Mario, and Pokémon which is not exclusively a Nintendo IP.)

Isabelle is the announcer/tutorial/helper for the 3DS game, as well as a likeable character and how you access any mayoral functions troughough the game, so she has a very strong presence for anyone having actually played that entry. She is proeminently featured in all the Animal Crossing-related marketing. She took Tom Nook's place as the serie's face since the last entry in all spin-offs. She has TONS of fan-art, especially in Japan. More than Waluigi for sure.

If you missed Animal Crossing's growth, you might be out of touch with modern Nintendo
and non-stereotypical gaming in general.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Waluigi is more widely known than a lot of characters by virtue of being in many, many mario spinoff titles over roughly the last 2 decades, that mostly sold well.
Doesn't mean he's a more important character than Isabelle (he's not) but he's more well known in a kind of vague "oh the lanky purple guy?" kinda way.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
News flash: No one cares about Isabelle

How many copies of Mario Party 3-8 have been sold? Millions of millions? Yeah, Waluigi has been around since the N64 era and hes one of Nintendo's mascots, his role in Mario Tennis is essential and when he wasnt included in Mario Kart 7 people all around the world were fucking pissed at the shameless exclusion of him. He is part of the reason why Mario Tennis is a million seller franchise, ever thought of that?

Meanwhile, Isabelle is from a franchise that hasnt had a game in five years and her latest role was in a kart racing spin-off. No Animal Crossing fan is going to buy smash.

If you want to fool yourself into believing that Isabelle is known by someone aside from the 5 people that bought Animal Crossing New Leaves then go ahead but Sakurai made a tremendous mistake and he should apologize for it in the future.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Debate? This is a slaughter! I hate dogs but its SO obviously that Isabelles more popular an widely known!
iITbOoa.png
ABnK4oh.png

Waluigi has more appearances, meme popularity and is associated with mario's talented brother so more people probably recognize him, but Isabelle probably has more non-ironic popularity
8 appearances in 6 years is pretty comparable given Waluigi's 18 year history. Its actually 9 appearances cause for some reason Amiibo Festival isn't in that list ya posted. Also her Amiibo unlocks shirts based on her own in Style Savvy Fashion Forward. That list may not be all its cracked up ta be!

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
More people might know about Waluigi in grounds of him being a mario spinoff filler non character, but if we count genuine love for the character, Isabelle stomps the purple meme.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
If you want to fool yourself into believing that Isabelle is known by someone aside from the 5 people that bought Animal Crossing New Leaves then go ahead but Sakurai made a tremendous mistake and he should apologize for it in the future.
Ok, I nearly took you seriously until that point. Use your /s for my heart's sake!
AC_NEWLEAF_SALES.png