• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's the MC?

• Captain America

Votes: 34 4.1%
  • Iron Man

Votes: 409 49.2%
  • They both are

Votes: 389 46.8%

• Total voters

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For a series that is honestly not that difficult to figure out if you half pay attention, the obvious character beats in the "brainless action superhero movies" sure fly over the heads of some people on a very regular basis. "Cap doesn't have an arc." What in the actual hell.

I'm still in disbelief someone said that with zero irony.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iron Man came last in Endgame's credits reel. Captain America came second to last. That to me was an admission from Marvel that Tony Stark/Iron Man was the main, most important character.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
There are multiple storylines, but the A story is Thor's (imo), simply because his scenes bookend the entire movie.

*whoops, read it as Infinity War (just the first movie, not the saga). For the saga it's both Ironman's AND Captain America's.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well what's this about Whedon not getting Cap?

I think you can tell Whedon preferred Black Widow a lot compared to the Russo's.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

I think you can tell Whedon preferred Black Widow a lot compared to the Russo's.

Whedon's Cap in A1 is terrible. He's portrayed as an anachronistic throwback, and not in a good way.

Cap was everyones least favorite Avenger until the Russos reinvented him in Winter Soldier.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
The plot hole with Captain Marvel is that Thanos was committing genocide on a planetary scale *by hand* for decades long before he had any infinity stones. How old is Gamora? Zoe Saldana is 41. He Adopted Gamora and killed half her planet when she was about 5. Trillions of people being wiped out planet by planet just not enough to catch her attention? nobody had a pager?

That nowhere near a plot hole when you realize you are talking on an galactic scale.... Like, not even close. Besides after 20+ years of working at it she was able to stand toe to toe with Thanos but was still outsmarted in the final battle. And that was with the help of the entire Avengers army. I don't give a younger less experienced Carol a shot in hell vs Thanos and his entire Army on Nebulas planet while she is solo. He would have rocked her.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
What about Age of Ultron?

Age of Ultron takes a lot of cues from how the Russos used Cap in Winter Soldier, but Whedon seems to go overboard with it.

Compare the opening scenes of that film where Cap flips over the handlebars of his motorcycle and throws it (!) to literally the entirety of Avengers 1.

We see this again with the Cap/Ultron fistfight (!) on top of a speeding truck. Why is this happening? Rogers isn't Thor.

Plotwise though there's not much development for Steve in AoU, outside of being (justifiably) pissed that Banner and Stark went ahead with AI development and experimenting on the staff, and saving people when Sokovia goes to hell at the climax. Whedon never really seems to know what to do with Rogers in these films.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
That nowhere near a plot hole when you realize you are talking on an galactic scale.... Like, not even close. Besides after 20+ years of working at it she was able to stand toe to toe with Thanos but was still outsmarted in the final battle. And that was with the help of the entire Avengers army. I don't give a younger less experienced Carol a shot in hell vs Thanos and his entire Army on Nebulas planet while she is solo. He would have rocked her.

Carol literally had to be stopped from running after thanos to fight him by herself 15 minutes into endgame, knowing full well he had a gauntlet full of infinity stones.

Carol was very much convinced she could have taken Thanos and his army completely solo, and was shocked there were no defenses when she got there.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
Both. The entire thing was about Tony being selfish and anti-authority, to overcompensating for that in civil war, to finding a balance. Then reaching the natural conclusion of his personality of one that never rests. Same with Cap. All authority and selfless, to overcompensating for that after what he saw in Cap 2, to finding the balance. He went and got some of that life Tony was talking about.

Their personalities look kinda like a double helix. It was always their stories once civil war cemented them as the two leaders.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
His arc is not changing at his core, but staying true to his beliefs in the face of great adversity. He was always worthy.

You should read the chain of posts, that's exactly what I was saying. Someone listed a bunch of Endgame moments as the culmination of Cap's arc but none of them are. Things like him being worthy to lift Mjolnir was there for AoU. My point was there is no growth for Cap between AoU and Endgame that made him worthy or made him finally say avengers assemble. They were just cool moments.

FWIW, me thinking Cap doesn't have a lot of character growth doesn't mean I dislike him or his movies. He continuously has some of the best moments and Winter Soldier is still probably the best MCU movie.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
You should read the chain of posts, that's exactly what I was saying. Someone listed a bunch of Endgame moments as the culmination of Cap's arc but none of them are. Things like him being worthy to lift Mjolnir was there for AoU. My point was there is no growth for Cap between AoU and Endgame that made him worthy or made him finally say avengers assemble. They were just cool moments.

FWIW, me thinking Cap doesn't have a lot of character growth doesn't mean I dislike him or his movies. He continuously has some of the best moments and Winter Soldier is still probably the best MCU movie.

Ah, sorry, I missed the full context.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
In my mind it was Iron Man, in reality it was probably more Cap, but the real answer is both.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Carol literally had to be stopped from running after thanos to fight him by herself 15 minutes into endgame, knowing full well he had a gauntlet full of infinity stones.

Carol was very much convinced she could have taken Thanos and his army completely solo, and was shocked there were no defenses when she got there.

Sure she may have THOUGHT that. I mean, Drax thought he could solo Thanos too and planned to do so if I recall correctly.... Im talking about what actually would have happened. She lost vs him with backup, she would have gotten washed versus Thanos dolo, regardless of what she thought. That's all Im saying.

That, and that the universe is too big to say "Where's Captain Marvel when Thanos was wrecking planets". I mean, on a cosmic scale she could have been any number of other places helping with many issues.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Cap barely has anything to do in Infinity War and in Endgame he's just along for the ride with the plan the others come up with and the big fight at the end.

Oct 27, 2017

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

Black Widow is the single worst handled character in the entirety of the MCU. For Whedon (and Favreau) she was just a random hot girl, in Infinity War she was kinda there and in Endgame she died for the boys, was mourned for one scene, then forgotten.

The only movie that came close to actually treating her as a layered character was The Winter Soldier and even that at times just went with the "sexy, female spy"-thing.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Iron Man was the Protagonist, Captain America was the Deuteragonist.

I mean, Infinity War even bookends with the clicking sound of Tony creating his original suit.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The MCU leans heavily on Tony Stark, sometimes to the detriment of beloved spider-themed characters.

But it's not Sasuke situation, they do right by Cap.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
It should be Cap, but RDJ stole every scene they were in together, and that's saying something. Chris Evans was great.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The MCU leans heavily on Tony Stark, sometimes to the detriment of beloved spider-themed characters.

But it's not Sasuke situation, they do right by Cap.

My hope is that phase four drops a lot of the Stark wankery. It actually got a little old in Far From Home, and that felt weird.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
There's so much Tony / Iron Man outside of his own movies.

Endgame is a Tony movie.

Hell, Captain America: Civil War is halfway a Tony movie.

Last edited: