Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This came up on an episode of Giant Bomb's Voicemail Dumptruck yesterday, and it's a question I haven't been able to stop thinking about since.

View: https://youtu.be/kUy513a-u6k?t=1230

The question is inspired by a Marvel 3 commentator at EVO saying "Morrigan is the Cardi B of Gaming." The question then asks who the Beyoncé of gaming is.

220px-Morrigan%28Darkstalkers%29.png

The podcast brings up Geoff Keighley, Kirby, Bayonetta, Rogue the Bat, and Kirby as possibilities - but never hit on a satisfying answer. Gaming doesn't have a ton of feminine icons who physically resemble her - so we're left to ask who best manifests her spirt, while standing toe-to-toe with her in status.

I pondered it a bit, and eventually came to an unexpected answer that I actually found satisfying.

FwdO9M9aMAMkL6T

It's Link. The hero of time. An icon for nearly 40 years, an immediate breakout star in the medium itself. Who better could match Beyoncé's influence on culture? Who else could look themselves in the eye, and say they are worthy to be compared? There's simply no other option.

Every move they make, the industry quivers. Visual albums. Innovative open world design. Album drops. Z-Targeting. They aren't the subject of the conversation. They are the conversation.

Agree/Disagree?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Peach or Chun Li

Even the unwash masses know them

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Lara Croft
Lara-Croft-Tomb-Raider-Infographic.jpg

Edit: I'll admit though, she had her ups and downs so maybe not the best one to compare to Beyonce 🤔

Last edited:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
could someone pls explain Beyoncé to me

reasonably I mean, explain it reasonably, I'm very out of this

Jasonstation

Nov 10, 2019
It's the persona series (hear me out).
Started out as a spin off of a larger franchise at the time (SMT & Destiny's Child)
Is now wildly more popular than any other SMT/Destiny's child alumni
Every subsequent release is marked by an unmistakable style revolution

Nov 19, 2019
its tricky, cuz i think the morrigan-cardi b comparison is like…this character is this person.

the link-beyonce comparison is like…this IP is this person. so its a different frame of comparison.

Anyway Kratos is Beyonce.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Started out as a spin off of a larger franchise at the time (SMT & Destiny's Child)
Alright /thread, this is the one.

OP
OP
Meg Cherry

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
isn't that David Byrne? is Beyoncé the Beyoncé of David Byrne?
David Byrne was unaware that he was presumptively performing as Beyonce during the P.B. (Pre-Beyonce) era.

This is also a very good answer.

Stencil

Mailing Out Their Business
Oct 30, 2017
USA
Pokémon. They're both unstoppable juggernauts with more money than god.

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah Beyonce is great and all, but who's the Kelly Rowland of Gaming? Maybe it's like 3D Zelda is Beyonce and 2D Zelda is Kelly? I love me some Kelly Rowland.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
If the standard we're using is "became wildly more popular than their original group", then Mario is by far the biggest example. The series is a Donkey Kong spin-off.

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
So who is Rihanna then? More popular than Bey, cooler and less concerned with perfection (or releasing with any kind regularity)?

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
if you want to go oldschool

there was The Supremes.

Then it became Diana Ross and The Supremes

Then Diana Ross became her own thing.

Who is the Diana Ross of the game industry?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta? We've had threads where people speculate what songs will be represented in her upcoming games.

Lady Gaga is Bayonetta.

So who is Rihanna then? More popular than Bey, cooler and less concerned with perfection (or releasing with any kind regularity)?

Joanna Dark

if you want to go oldschool

Who is the Diana Ross of the game industry?

Pauline

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Link works, but so does Pikachu because his star power was always there from the start and has arguably eclipsed his famous, prominent (platonic) partner in pop culture despite said partner also having a major legacy.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a character that transcends video games then I would say Mario, Master chief, or Lara Croft. They are all recognizable figures outside of video games.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
It's sad I can't immediately think of a single powerful black woman in video games