• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Tony Stark/Iron Man gonna die?

• Yup

Votes: 484 54.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 406 45.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's at least less likely given that they got so close to killing him in IW. On the other hand, it could be even more of a reason for them to go all the way and it fools the audience because they don't think he'll really die.

I'm in a camp of hoping that we don't really get any permanent deaths, or that their reasoning is a better story reason than being driven by trying to clear out old character to make room for new characters. That is just dumb to me. Tony and Steve can retire without having to be killed and it leaves the door open for them to return in some way. Why insist on closing a door so a character can never return? Just to tie up any loose ends? I would hope Marvel is more clever and deliberate in their decisions than that.

Speaking of which, Quicksilver's death seemed to have such little impact outside of AoU (even within it, for that matter), that I hope they bring him back in some way, especially now that the Fox deal is done and there is no conflict between the two studios sharing the same character.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they're going to throw money away and kill anyone. It's too early to kill anyone.

If anything they might freeze cap in time somewhere for a while and have the first Bucky movie be about rescuing him. Boom, guaranteed break for Chris and also guaranteed plot for a new solo movie.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be Cap so they can introduce USAgent and then come around and revive Steve in a later movie and wrap it up nice and neat with a recast.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Reckon Cap will die. Stark is way too important to kill, guy could earn Marvel big bucks with cameo appearances moving on (like Homecoming).

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
he will retire, not die.
Cap will probably return to his original timeline and we see his grave stone where it shows that he died in the 1990s.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Tony-Piper scene in IW sets it up pretty well.

She's pregnant with his baby, the next generation Stark.

That scene is pretty much the "aw, lets look at how in love they are, foreshadow pregnancy, cuz guess whut? It'll give us our emotional ending as a payoff one movie later!" type thing.

That said it will probably be done in a semi-ambigious or "fanatastical" way so they can back out of it later if they really want to bring him back (ie: when I killed Thanos I went to the Happy Mappy Realm and was simply locked in there for the last 5 years, I wasn't really dead silly!).

Tony Stark will basically be the reason Thanos loses, by sacrificing himself, that's what Dr. Strange saw as the only way they win.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda have the feeling one of the core characters dies, so Cap or Stark, with one or more others simply retiring or something, leaving a comeback option down the line as they effectively get phased out, as they definitely can't be doing this role until eternity. An impactful death could indeed have the side-effect of causing some characters to get out of this business, it could work as a plot device. Black Panther, Spidey, the Guardians movies, etc. shows Marvel can make serious bank with "new" characters and storylines as well, without necessarily having anybody from the original Avengers group to carry the movies. Endgame seems like a great exit point for one or more core characters therefore, and Iron Man is probably a decent candidate. Plus it would fit in his general character development to take one for the group.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't in the Spider-Man trailer. Contract is over. He's dead, folks.
I feel that way too, but Marvel is always misleading the fans and I kind of think they did that to fuel the rumors. Got a bet with a buddy on who will die. He's a Cap fan while I'm in the Stark corner.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
As a Cap fan, I have to admit it's totally going to be Cap and not Iron Man. Stark will retire and have kids with Peppers Potts, leaving the possibility for RDJ to do cameos as and when required.

Chaitanya

Dec 23, 2017
I don't think anyone will actually die. Given that there is going to be time travel, they'll find a way to retire them somehow.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup and I think WarMachine is going to replace him.

I mean like mentioned above nobody really ever dies but for the sake of this movie, yes.

almutama

Oct 27, 2017
Peter's reaction towards the iron spider suit in the far from home trailer lends me to believe that he either retires or bites the dust in endgame

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
He won't die. They already did that moment in Infinity War when Thanos stabbed him and everyone thought he was dead, they won't try and milk that same reaction again.

Cap on the other hand..

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully Cap will die and Tony Stark will be the new Cap. He was all about America's interests in the first film, so it makes sense he would take on the role.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Tony sacrifices himself to save someone else. Cap accused him (correctly) in The Avengers of being someone who wouldn't do something that, and now he has developed into the kind of person that would. It would be poetic if he did it saving Cap.

If he doesn't die, perhaps he gets crippled in a way that prevents him from continuing to be Iron Man.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Either Tony dies and Cap goes back in time, or Tony survives but retires and Cap dies. Or a mix of the 2 , or both survive.

I haven't voted.

I just want to see the damn movie!

AVENGE THE FALLEN

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
RDJ has been playing the role for a decade now in over half a dozen movies. If he wants out and to do something else for a bit a respectful send off in Endgame is perfect.

MCU Infinity War Saga started with Ironman it is fitting he should end it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I voted nope only because he doesn't do anything really in the films that can be held back by age. All they need is his face and CGI for the suit and they are good to go to bring him back.

He doesn't need to work out, maintain a diet or anything like that.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Captain America is going to die.

It's harder to replace Iron Man from a story perspective. You sort of need the combination of super intelligence and unlimited cash flow. Giving some dude a suit gets you War Machine 2.0, writing a new genius suit designer makes you wonder what the hell they were doing the past decade.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cap is really boring so I'd be fine with him dying

Stark I like better, but his schtick is now quite old so I'm ready to move on from him too

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Bet you anything He's dead a few minutes into the opening. Nebula delivers the news and helmet to everyone on Earth.

But he'll return after the time thing, where they'll have to extract each dead hero from their own timelines (likely from the very movies we've already seen them in). I'm sure though, he's not staying after Thanos is destroyed.

I hope I didn't spoil End Game....I mean, it's not like I'm an insider or anything....

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
No. The actor loves the role and can do it mostly as a voice. I'm thinking he'll be around forever and I'd be delighted because he's great.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I say either him or Cap.

My flawed logic is all good things come to an end. It's either the team leader or the original MCU movie lead lol. Maybe both.

Maybe neither. Maybe Hawkeye.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I'm hoping for he or Captain America to die, and Carol Denver as the new "leader"

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they're going to kill Steve and Tony, but if one of them is going to die, I think it's going to be Steve.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Cap dies, Tony retires (but may make cameos in future movies to supply tech if RDJ is paid enough).

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Nah they hinted at him settling down in IW and broad blockbuster movies don't tend to set those things up if they don't work out later.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
He's dead. And Sony did a bad job hiding that in the FFH trailer. Look at Peter's face when he's packing and doesn't take the Stark Suit.

Nov 27, 2017
California
They both die or retire, Tony and Steve

Why else is Nick Fury recruiting Peter when it's always been Iron man or Cap as the face of the avengers
Thor and captain marvel leave to find his people a new home
Strange says fuck off cause he's not doing it for fame
Vision and Scarlet witch get married or take a break from hero stuff
Antman goes back to dadman
Banner is washed x working
Black widow and Ronin aren't the big guns

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
He SHOULD. He won't, but he should. His story arc is leading toward a death way more than Cap's.

Status
Not open for further replies.