Who's the vintage Toon cameo you would've liked to have seen? You may pick up to two choices.

• Casper the Friendly Ghost

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Felix the Cat

Votes: 53 18.9%
  • Little Audrey

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Popeye the Sailor

Votes: 142 50.5%
  • Superman

Votes: 23 8.2%
  • Tom and Jerry

Votes: 171 60.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I don't know what to tell you, man. You can insist the Looney Tunes have the same cachet today as they did in the 80s when most of us had like 3 channels to watch and Looney Tunes were all over morning and afternoon TV, but they just don't. I'm not saying they're irrelevant, I'm not saying they've gone away, and I'm not saying there aren't valid reasons for them to be less in the zeitgeist than they were. But that doesn't change that they are, and kids today don't have the same attachment to them. I don't like it either, but it is what it is.
I didn't say they were as ubiquitous now as they were in every preceding decade, I said they weren't wholly forgotten and that kids can still recognize the main stars easily.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
Still technically impressive 35 years later. There's just something about the animation that feels "alive" compared to the 3d crap we get now.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
That's likely the shadowed depth of the Toon characters when they're in the "real" world speaking. Ironically enough, that's an effect that aims to emulate a three-dimensional appearance. Not that we're short on CG that looks "alive" these days.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
I haven't seen this since it first came out in the theaters. Based on the comments I take it it still holds up?

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
It's still impressive how they convinced all those IP holders to allow their (often competing with Disney, back in the day) characters to be in the film.

My favorite cameo is probably Betty Boop. "Work's been kinda slow since cartoons went to color."
tumblr_nuf7n7lXD71qf5do9o1_500.gif

And voiced by the original Bettie Boop actress, here at 80 years old. And just a year later played Aunt Bethany in Christmas Vacation

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
One of my favorite movies.

Hoskins is awesome.
Lloyd is awesome.
Animation and technical wizardry is awesome.
Movie is awesome.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
The Chrono Trigger of movies

Such a hard thing getting all of that stuff into a single movie the first time that makes it incredibly impractical to try and repeat again in the future.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Absolutely stellar movie. Love it so much. I was so happy when a 4K version came out!

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Certainly. The movie is about political corruption, alcoholism, murder, and racism. And it was sold as a kid's movie

When I finally saw Chinatown, I was like "Oh, Roger Rabbit was heavily influenced by it"

This film came out just when I hit puberty, so yeah I had a huge crush on Jessica Rabbit

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
The animation director Richard Williams is legend. He does stuff in this movie that NOBODY else would do. "Somethin's Cookin" is one of the most insane pieces of hand-drawn animation I've seen.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKE0UCl5Cg

The minutia here is complete insanity.
0:23 - Animating the perspective on the floor slats, the crib, and the chair. Nowadays this is just a typical CG shot. Back then, you were like "what the fuck am looking at."
0:55 - More perspective animation wizardry. The fucking TILES! Someone had to paint that by hand!
1:25 - What the fuck
2:31 - This isn't CG, and they messed up the shot because they spelled 'Chili" with two Ls (animated in the UK) so they had to redo the whole thing
3:16 - How do you even move the camera like that

And almost all of this is done on ones. What. The. Fuck.

If you look up Williams' THE THIEF AND THE COBBLER, it contains shots that make these look utterly simple in comparison.

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
What a classic. Funny, cute, creepy, wondrous in equal measure. RIP Bob Hoskins - he was wonderful here. Also what a lovely soundtrack by Alan Silvestri.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I heard Tim Curry actually auditioned for Judge Doom but they said he was too scary so it went to Christopher Lloyd instead. Can't imagine how terrifying he had to have been.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
No movie has done the live action and animation integration better than Roger Rabbit, which is wild to me. There have been a few that have come close, but Roger Rabbit is also a great, entertaining movie too.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
A perfect movie. Absolutely perfect. And it's baffling a sequel never got off the ground.

At least Rescue Rangers pulled off something similar, though clearly without the budget it could have had.

I heard Tim Curry actually auditioned for Judge Doom but they said he was too scary so it went to Christopher Lloyd instead. Can't imagine how terrifying he had to have been.

Wasn't that also rumoured as a reason he was recast as Joker in BTAS?

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time, with one of my favorite actors of all time (Lloyd).

My 8 year old kid actually likes this movie too, surprisingly.

It's a technical marvel and supremely skillful in its execution from animation to acting.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
For those in LA and are in the know, I always thought a double feature between this movie in Chinatown would be an amazing time at the New Beverly Cinema.

Dec 11, 2017
Crossovers are a dime a dozen these days, but anybody who saw this movie when it was new had their mind blown when Daffy Duck fought Donald Duck.

Oct 29, 2017
The animation director Richard Williams is legend. He does stuff in this movie that NOBODY else would do. "Somethin's Cookin" is one of the most insane pieces of hand-drawn animation I've seen.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKE0UCl5Cg

The minutia here is complete insanity.
0:23 - Animating the perspective on the floor slats, the crib, and the chair. Nowadays this is just a typical CG shot. Back then, you were like "what the fuck am looking at."
0:55 - More perspective animation wizardry. The fucking TILES! Someone had to paint that by hand!
1:25 - What the fuck
2:31 - This isn't CG, and they messed up the shot because they spelled 'Chili" with two Ls (animated in the UK) so they had to redo the whole thing
3:16 - How do you even move the camera like that

And almost all of this is done on ones. What. The. Fuck.

If you look up Williams' THE THIEF AND THE COBBLER, it contains shots that make these look utterly simple in comparison.

I pretty much came here just to gush about those tiles. So good.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This was the movie that woke up several desires in me when it came to Jessica Rabbit.

To this day I have a very particular affinity to Redheads. I blame this movie.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's amazing how well the animation and live action/cartoons hold up, even more so than most modern stuff of the same kind.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Still an absolutely fantastic movie on all fronts. Haven't watched it in a few years, but I definitely should! Got my hands on the Game Boy game (that Shinji Mikami worked on, I think?) recently, and I want to beat that since I only got to try it out at a friend's house back in the day. Should have myself an all Roger Rabbit weekend this week.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I rewatched this one recently and it still holds up.

Not quite as good as I remember (it's a bit style over substance) but it's entertaining and still looks stunning.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
A rare near-perfect movie. I could watch it endlessly. Zemeckis never even got close to the heights of his 80's movies.

JB Hunkamunka

Mar 14, 2021

I always felt like this scene was kind of an accident. Like the entire reason it's a shoe is because it's an inanimate object, right? (No pun intended) But then I can just see some production designer adding some eyes to it not thinking about how the scene suddenly becomes the murder of a sentient being (and the director just not caring I guess).

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Every year further away from release Roger Rabbit climbs further up my rankings, honestly it's one of my favourite movies at this point. There are just so many layers to the story and world, Bob Hoskins put on one hell of a performance and visually it still remains the best mix of cartoon characters and live action.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I always felt like this scene was kind of an accident. Like the entire reason it's a shoe is because it's an inanimate object, right? (No pun intended) But then I can just see some production designer adding some eyes to it not thinking about how the scene suddenly becomes the murder of a sentient being (and the director just not caring I guess).

What?

Ok you are banned from watching or thinking about movies. I can't even look at you.

edit: if you're doing a bit then it's brilliant and you are an evil genius and I hate it

JB Hunkamunka

Mar 14, 2021
What?

Ok you are banned from watching or thinking about movies. I can't even look at you.

edit: if you're doing a bit then it's brilliant and you are an evil genius and I hate it

It's conjecture, sure, but looking at one of the drafts of the script, it has Judge Doom demonstrating the dip on a cartoon gopher, and I feel like the whole reason the writer would change it to a shoe is that it's merely an object and showing a nonchalant slaughter of an animal by dipping it in a barrel of acid was a bit intense for the kind of movie they were going for.

Then it's easy to see that this didn't necessarily get across to the rest of the production (or maybe they just didn't care) so suddenly this shoe has eyes and reacts emotionally to its impending death and then you got an execution-of-an-innocent scene regardless. I could be wrong but I think it's a plausible scenario, and a darkly humorous one to think about.

It's been a while since I've seen the movie so maybe it's established that all toons are alive, but I do recall there being inert cartoon objects like hammers and such.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a while since I've seen the movie so maybe it's established that all toons are alive, but I do recall there being inert cartoon objects like hammers and such.
I don't think the film establishes anything about it. Like, Eddie's gun is a cartoon gun.... but the bullets are all living to the point they make active decisions about which way to go.

I think it basically boils down to "if it has eyes, it's alive".

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Watched for the first time properly last year.

What a great movie! One of my favorites now. Crazy how weird Robert Zemeckis' filmography is, bouncing back and forth between stinkers and masterpieces.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly an extremely unique movie that has remained worthwhile over time.

It's a wonder something like this even got made at all in the first place.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
They removed some things from the original release right? Like the cigar from baby and when he smacks a woman's rear? I haven't watched it in decades. Shit was amazing animation wise and the commingling of ip was hype

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
They removed some things from the original release right? Like the cigar from baby and when he smacks a woman's rear? I haven't watched it in decades. Shit was amazing animation wise and the commingling of ip was hype
I watched it the other day on Disney+ and it's still there.

May have been censored for TV viewings.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Loved it as a kid, and this is still one of my favorite movies. I watch it every few years!

The Donald vs Daffy piano fight has to be one of my favorite scenes in a movie

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
It's free on Youtube if you have an hour and 35 mins of free time:

youtu.be

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

It's 1947 Hollywood, and Eddie Valiant (Bob Hoskins), a down-on-his-luck detective, is hired to find proof that Marvin Acme, gag factory mogul and owner of T...

JB Hunkamunka

Mar 14, 2021
You could very much argue Roger Rabbit led to a renewed interest in animation by the public in general. It was the biggest movie of 1988, the very next year saw the beginning of the Disney renaissance, and the Looney Tunes saw a renewed profile as Warner Bros' mascots (I remember Bugs and Daffy giving an intro to the 1989 Batman VHS) and soon afterwards Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, and yes, Space Jam.

The movie was also arguably even more geared to adults than it was to kids, and the next year saw the debut of The Simpsons, and as the 90s went on there came wider-ranging animation like Batman The Animated Series, Beavis and Butthead, Aeon Flux, Ren & Stimpy, and people in the west started looking into this thing called "anime."

Maybe Roger Rabbit wasn't direcrly responsible for all of that, but it'd be pretty easy to divide animation into pre- and post- Roger Rabbit eras.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Second-biggest movie of 1988 from what I recall. It was narrowly outgrossed by Rain Man. But yes, the film definitely renewed interest in classic animation for a lot of people.

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
For such an amazing and huge movie for its time, it really doesn't have the legacy it should. Probably because it would be so hard to do a sequel. A one-and-done that's just slowly forgotten.

I still remember drawing Roger Rabbits everywhere when I was a kid.

Shame the NES game was so terrible.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Watching this film as an adult is like watching it again for the first time. Once you truly appreciate the effort that went into making it, jesus christ.