Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2019
I think you're asking far too many questions about too many issues in one thread that could take ages to untangle. Not all racial groups are monolithic entities to begin with, so asking why "Black and Latino voters towards Trump" is less useful than "why did Latino voters in Florida OR Latino voters in Texas swing toward Trump." And even within those much more targeted questions you're going to see a wide variety of explanations and rationales. People have been trying to postmortem this election for weeks, but there is no one size fits all answer outside of the vague and fairly useless fact that Democrats just failed to reach these voters in a meaningful way. And that in of itself has its own knots to untangle.

But let's also not obscure the truth. The only reason why Biden won and why Democrats control the House and even have a chance in run offs in the Georgia Senate races is because of minority voters, particularly Black voters showing up in crucial states and areas en masse to vote against Trump and Republicans. Democrats should absolutely be seeing alarm bells with their failures this election to reach a wide variety of minority voters, but part of that also means acknowledging that the little success Democrats did see in this election was due to the support of minorities and that their constant pandering to Republicans earned them virtually nothing.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Not sure this is the right way to think about what happened this election, but we don't have enough data to say for sure. But I think this is just a byproduct of the much higher turnout than any meaningful "swing" for either party, especially the minority votes. I don't think Trump's base really grew, so much as they turned out where they hadn't before. But they turned out a lot more for Biden, and that's where you saw way many more minority voters, especially black voters in key areas like Georgia and Michigan, that it eclipsed whatever Trump appeared to "gain," giving a net positive of votes in favor of Biden. That's just my gut feeling on this based on the enormously high turnout this year, we need to see the data when all is said and done to say what's the actual case here.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
People are complex, is the gist of it. Acting like all white people and all black people and all people of all races are going to respond to the same message and same campaigns in the same way is ridiculous, and doomed to fail before it starts.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I really hate this dismissal of right wing minorities as "lol exit polls". They fucking exist and they're only going to grow larger in number the more you ignore them. I personally know far too many black Trump supporters that didn't exist in 2016.

The "ignore the troll" philosophy does not work. Something has to be done to stop the bleed. The axis seems to be gradually swinging towards education becoming a bigger and bigger factor of the Dem/Rep divide. Stop people in a box based off of their race,(especially Latinos) this is serious shit.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Democrats need legislation that actually pay their debt to the black community. Saying Dem's take us for granted is not a lie.

Trump's "what have you got to lose" rhetoric hasn't fallen on deaf ears. I think it's insane to think the GOP has earned the right to say they've been better for Black people. But they are saying it, people hear it, and some believe it.

Also, Dems need to learn how to talk about the economy. After 2 Bush's, and now Trump destroying the economy and job market undoing the gains of the Clinton and Obama administrations, it's unthinkable that the general public thinks the economy is in better hands with Republican control.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
He went up a couple of percentage points on exit polls. Let's not give him an award for it.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
The fact that after 4 years of ABSOLUTE FUCKERY, some POCs were like 'oh yeah baby, give me more' should be alarming as fuck to democrats.
I think this is the important factor that's being missed.
Even if you want to say that the exit polls are incorrect, it's still a trend line that needs to examined and understood for Democrats in future elections. The article even mentions that it has been trending this way even in the 2018 elections.

Are these voters lost to the Democratic Party for good? Can Democrats target their approach better to reverse the trend? That's honestly the conversation that should be occurring.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
This article seems to be based on exit polls, which are extremely unreliable this election due to the overwhelming amount of mail in ballots. As such, this thread is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.